My makeup game was never too strong. So, I always wondered why anyone would want to spend a decent amount of money for just a sponge. A bit of life-changing research into the best makeup sponges on the market, however, soon proved me wrong.
Those pink, beige, black, and purple egg-shaped sponges do a whole lot more than any regular sponge. They come in all shapes and sizes as well as colors. Plus, they are the darling of many makeup bloggers along with professional makeup artists.
Sure, makeup sponges could literally be a dime a dozen. But why should we care about the more expensive branded varieties? As it turns out, a makeup sponge can help us with proper coverage, blending, and contouring.
The sponge is a revolutionary makeup tool, so it might be time to update your own kit. Want to find out how to choose the best makeup sponges for your needs? Let’s catch up on some of the top options available on the market.
The World of Beauty Blenders: How to Choose This Little Thing Wisely
These little sponges come in the standard egg-shaped version, a triangular wedge, or a tiny half-heart. There are more shapes, though. They may also have two straight sides with one curved angle. Since there are so many shapes, you'll have to read the reviews to get a better mental picture of the options on the market today.
Basically, the shape of your sponge will determine just what it can do for you. Most of the best makeup sponges have at least one curved edge. The most familiar shape, of course, is that of an egg with a pointed tip at one end.
The round part is great for bouncing on your face to spread the foundation to the larger areas. The tip is for getting into those pesky corners that defy foundation. And along with those surfaces, the flat sides are for contouring.
The best makeup sponges, if they’re of the right quality, tend to grow larger when they're damp. This makes them soft, bouncy, and better equipped to work their magic on your face. You want to choose the initial size of your makeup sponges based on the kind of routine you usually have.
If your face has a lot of nooks and crannies, you should get a sponge that isn’t too large. The curves of your nose and your eyelids are the toughest parts to cover correctly. For a largish face, you might want to get a large size instead of the small triangular kind.
The best makeup sponges do have to be absorbent. This way, these sponges will pick up the product (eye shadow, foundation, etc.) to some extent. However, they shouldn't be so porous that you can see the holes. Of course, you should stay away from those airy sponges that you use for washing your dishes! Instead, you may look for a sponge blender that has a visibly textured surface, yet still feels smooth to the touch.
Overall Pricing of the Best Makeup Sponges Available on the Market
Photo by Ray Piedra from Pexels
The pricing of the best makeup sponges depends on the brand name, size, and material of the various brands. You should also remember that it’s recommended that you replace your sponge every month. This means that those few dollars may add up over the years.
The more expensive kinds aren’t always the best ones. Therefore, you should make sure to read the reviews first and then decide accordingly.
How We Reviewed the Top Options
Photo by Beata Dudová from Pexels
We’ve reviewed the top best makeup sponges on the market by looking at their Amazon ratings. We also looked at what they have to offer the average makeup user. All the options under review here have at least 4.0 out of 5 stars for their Amazon rating. Plus, their performance is stellar, with most users expressing great satisfaction at the results.
The 8 Best Makeup Sponges You May Consider
Let’s take a look at the best makeup sponges you can get right now:
- Number one sponge for smooth foundation application: Designed revolutionary latex-free foam technology to evenly blend...
- Get ready for an airbrushed look and flawless application! FLAT EDGE: contour around the eyes and nose; ROUND SIDES:...
- Set Includes: (2) miracle complexion sponges, (3) mini complexion sponges, (1) powder sponge, and (1) sculpted sponge
The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is the closest you can get to the original, pink, egg-shaped beauty blender. You can use it after dampening or as a dry sponge.
The flat edge is perfect for contouring, while the tip helps you get into every last millimeter of your face.
The best part about this orange version is that it performs the same as the more expensive varieties. But it’s one of the most budget-friendly options on this list.
It might not last as long as other options that cost more. But the unique shape and perfect finish are worth the risk.
- Foam Beauty Sponges: These foam beauty wedges are perfect for makeup application. The sponge blenders offer precise...
- Makeup Blenders: The triangle design flawlessly blends makeup into skin for a natural finish.
- Makeup Sponges: These make-up sponges offer precise, flawless application & blending of makeup.
The ForPro 100-count Beauty Wedges are another economical option that gives you the benefit of a unique shape. These are shaped like triangular sponges and are mostly for disposable use.
Overall, these sponges are great for light makeup, not the heavy kind. This limits their use, but everyone does need something to perfect their everyday look.
- Very soft makeup sponges Softness makes it wonderful to use and easier to clean.
- Shape of makeup blender that conforms to your natural face lines, very flexible.
- Foundation sponge creates build-able airbrush-like coverage to achieve the smooth finish.
The Nanshy Marble Blender gives you a very soft experience. This makes it a luxury to use and a breeze to clean. The shape will easily conform to the natural lines of your face, all the while making for an airbrushing effect.
We know that it doubles when dampened, which actually minimizes product waste.
However, some might find it to be a bit small given the price. Some reviews do claim it to be the best blender they’ve ever used. So, this little thing must be doing something right!
- ✔ SOFT LIKE SUEDE, YET FIRM ENOUGH FOR BOUNCE PERFECTION-2 sponge blender in same shapes, different color. Our makeup...
- ✔ ACHIEVE FLAWLESS CONTOURS, HIGHLIGHTS AND BLENDING - Put makeup on like a pro - evenly distributes makeup so no...
- ✔ OUR SHAPE: The shape of our sponge was developed with absolute precision and purpose. From the broadsides, rounded...
The Essencell Cosmetic Pro Makeup Blender Sponges come in a two-piece pack. This is quite an economical option. You get an easy blending experience with contouring and highlighting with the same little tool.
It’s free from latex, odors, and all allergens. You can use it in a wet state for light finishing, or keep it dry for heavier applications.
You might have an issue while using this sponge with thin products like tinted moisturizers instead of a proper foundation. If you use your fingers for the light stuff, this sponge can be the best bet for the heavier applications.
- The pointed end is perfect for the delicate areas around the eyes, nose, and mouth
- The larger end evenly distributes products for flawless, even coverage.
The Cala Professional Beauty Blending Sponge has a dual design, suitable for both blending and applying any makeup product. Use it dry or wet, with skincare products or makeup. That’s because this versatile option will handle it all.
The pointy end is excellent for those delicate spots: around the nose, mouth, and eyes.
You can also simply flip it and use the larger rounded end for overall coverage. It won’t last as long as the more expensive versions, but that shouldn’t be a big deal.
No products found.
The SimpleNgrace Sponge Beauty Foundation Blender is a highly popular option for several good reasons. It’s egg-shaped, can handle many types of products, and is excellent at distributing everything evenly all over your face.
When dampened, this blender swells to twice its original size. This is what we need for bouncing around on our face.
Again, though, the only issue here is that this sponge is more for light, everyday use than heavy evening makeup.
- BEAKEY New Makeup Sponge Set: 3Pcs/Pack, Original teardrop shape with microfiber design blenders
- Microfiber Makeup Sponge: Microfiber sponges are all made from non-latex foam with additional superfine and supersoft...
- Flawless Coverage & Long-Lasting Makeup: beauty sponges always give you a smooth finish. Washable and reusable, the...
The BEAKEY Microfiber Makeup Sponge comes in a three-pack. This is especially useful if you want to stock up for every makeup emergency.
You get one pink sponge and two gray ones.
With the non-latex foam and seamless coverage, these sponges are sure to give you that coveted natural look.
However, you have to be careful while washing these, as the fibers tend to pull apart with rough use.
- THE BEST MAKEUP BLENDER SPONGE YOU WILL EVER USE! Tired of cakey, stubborn foundation? Want a more natural, airbrush...
- SOFTER, SMOOTHER LOOKING SKIN: Use wet or dry, Latex Free makeup blender sponges apply an even, flawless face....
- BUILDABLE COVERAGE: Get lighter or heavier coverage depending on how you apply. It absorbs very little makeup so it...
The Beauty Junkees Sponge Blender contains one piece in that classic egg shape. You can use this for blending, stippling, concealing, and a whole lot more.
This sponge is bouncy as anything and is suitable for almost every makeup product. Besides, it’s easy to clean and allows you to build up a light or heavy layer as needed.
The Makeup Sponge Brand That Will Go Well with Your Foundation
Image by Andreas Lischka from Pixabay
We’d simply love to have every one of these blenders in our dresser! But one should be enough for a start. If you’re up for the most versatile option, we recommend the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. This has several different options all in one little egg. Not only that, it’s held up to be the best budget blender overall.
Now what? It’s time to stop fiddling with brushes and fingers. Let’s try out this sponge to see the difference!
Got any recommendations? We'd love to hear them in the comments below.
Leave a Reply