Searching for the best facial cleanser can take years. There are so many options to choose from, and it can be hard to distinguish the good from the bad. Some cleansers are better for oily skin while others are better for dry skin.
Then there's the cost. Not all facial cleansers cost the same amount, and it can be tempting to spend the least amount of money on your cleanser. When there's a bar of soap in your bathroom, it can seem easier and cheaper just to use that to wash your face.
If your perfect cleanser is cheap, great! However, sometimes you should spend a bit more money to get the best facial cleanser for you.
What Makes the Best Facial Cleanser?
The best facial cleanser for you might not be the same as for a friend. That's perfectly okay because there are tons of amazing facial cleansers available! You can find facial cleansers for all skin types and at different price points.
Here are some things you might want to know when shopping for the best facial cleanser for you.
What is a facial cleanser?
Facial cleansers come in a variety of types, but they all have one common goal. Whether you choose a foam or cream, a facial cleanser's main job is to clean your face.
Different types of facial cleansers include foam, cream, oils, wipes, and micellar water. The best facial cleanser for you depends on your skin type. If you have oily skin, for example, you should probably avoid oil-based facial cleansers.
What does it do?
The best facial cleanser gets rid of dirt, makeup, dead skin cells, and excess oils. Yes, all of that sounds gross. That's why it's so important to wash your face regularly.
Don't overdo it though. Dermatologists recommend no more than twice a day or after you sweat.
Is it better than soap?
In general, facial cleaners are much better for your face than soap. Bar soap can dry out your skin.
Next time you wash your face, avoid that temptation to reach for the soap and try a gentler facial cleanser.
Where can you buy it?
You can buy facial cleanser almost anywhere. If the best facial cleanser for you is an affordable drugstore brand, you can head to the local pharmacy.
Some of the best facial cleansers are also available in makeup stores like Sephora. And like with many things these days, you can buy facial cleanser online.
How much does it cost?
The price of a bottle of facial cleanser can vary from $ to $$$. That price depends on the brand, size, and ingredients among other things.
How We Reviewed
We took to the internet to search for the best facial cleanser. In our search, we found bestseller lists and other facial cleanser comparisons. Last but not least, we looked at customer reviews and ratings to see which cleansers are truly the best.
The Best Facial Cleanser
With a huge market out there, it's hard to find the best facial cleanser. There are tons of different types of cleansers, and that can make shopping more confusing. If you have an okay cleaner, you might feel stuck with it.
But it doesn't have to be that way. We found some of the best products on the market to help you choose the best facial cleanser for you.
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit
- Pack with three tubes of 6.7-fluid ounces each of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Face Scrub, with...
- Maximum-strength salicylic acid formula for acne-prone skin gently exfoliates to help clear breakouts, and helps prevent...
- Facial scrub contains exfoliators and skin conditioners to help smooth away roughness for clearer, healthier-looking...
If you're prone to acne, Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash might be perfect for you. The pink grapefruit adds a nice scent as well as a boost of vitamin C. This facial cleanser contains salicylic acid, and Neutrogena's MicroClear Technology helps the salicylic acid get to your pores and the root of the problem.
The Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash is the best facial cleanser for anyone on a budget who is prone to acne breakouts. You can buy a six-ounce bottle of the Oil-Free Acne Wash for $ to $$. Amazon customers give it an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
Clean & Clear Day & Night Face Wash
- 2-pack of oil-free and non-comedogenic Clean & Clear Day & Night Face Wash to gently cleanse without over-drying skin...
- Clean & Clear Morning Burst Facial Cleanser removes skin impurities that build up overnight and features an invigorating...
- Made with ginseng and vitamin C, this citrus face wash is uniquely formulated with gentle exfoliators that burst with...
Do you have trouble waking up in the morning? What about relaxing before bed? Then you should try the Clean & Clear Day & Night Face Wash pack. The morning cleanser gives you a boost of vitamin C, and the night cleanser contains relaxing minerals. Both cleansers won't dry your face.
This cleanser pack is perfect for anyone who needs a refreshing change in their routine from morning to evening. The pack of two 8-ounce face washes costs $ to $$. On Amazon, customers give the cleanser pack an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Proactiv Deep Cleansing Face Wash
- EXFOLIATING ACNE FACE WASH: This non-medicated facial wash helps clear dirt and debris from deep within the pores. Tiny...
- GENTLE FORMULA: Your daily face wash should work with your acne treatment. This non-medicated formula resurfaces the...
- SAFE FOR ALL AGES AND SKIN TYPES: Proactiv's Deep Cleansing Face Wash provides the same powerful skin care for teens and...
Remember those Proactiv commercials from years ago? Well, the company's still going strong. You can buy the Proactiv Deep Cleansing Face Wash without the rest of the cleansing system. The cleanser contains exfoliating beads, and the gentle formula makes it a contender for the best facial cleanser for acne-prone skin.
If you've tried almost everything, the Proactiv face wash could be the best facial cleanser for you. Proactiv's cleanser does cost a little more than others at $ to $$ for a 6-ounce bottle. But years later, customers still love it. The average rating on Amazon is 4.1 out of 5 stars.
First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser
- Gentle Clean: Our sulfate-free and fragrance-free cleanser is strong enough to remove makeup, dirt, oil and grime...
- Antioxidant-Infused: Our powerful botanical antioxidant blend helps protect your skin while reducing irritation and...
- pH-Balanced: Pure Skin Face Cleanser works to maintain skin’s natural acidity and helps reduce flare ups, making it...
First Aid Beauty has a gentle face cleanser that's perfect for sensitive skin. The cleanser won't strip your skin of necessary oils, and it will leave you with soft skin. This cleanser is also fragrance-free, and it contains allantoin, which calms and soothes your skin.
The First Aid Beauty face cleanser is great for anyone with sensitive skin. You can purchase a 5-ounce bottle of the First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser for $ to $$. Amazon customers give it an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne and Redness Facial Cleanser
- 6-fluid ounce pump bottle of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne-Fighting Redness Soothing Facial Cleanse to help fight breakouts...
- Contains scientifically proven salicylic acid acne medicine to prevent breakouts along with MicroClear technology, which...
- Face wash is formulated with naturally derived aloe and chamomile helps calm irritation to visibly reduce facial redness...
If you're not a fan of pink grapefruit, Neutrogena has another fantastic facial cleanser. The Oil-Free Acne and Redness Facial Cleanser helps fight breakouts and redness. Like the other Neutrogena cleanser, this one uses salicylic acid and MicroClear Technology to get to your pores. This formula also contains aloe and chamomile to ease redness.
Neutrogena's Acne and Redness cleanser is the best facial cleanser for anyone with acne and associated redness. The Acne and Redness cleanser costs $ to $$ for a 6-ounce bottle. Customers on Amazon give a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
CeraVe Hydrating Face Wash
- This product is non-sealed
- [ GENTLE FACE CLEANSER ] Daily face wash with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin to help hydrate skin without...
- [ NON-FOAMING CLEANSER ] Moisturizing face wash with a lotion-like consistency feels smooth as it cleanses, even on...
We've mentioned plenty of facial cleansers for oily and acne-prone skin, but not really for dry skin. That's where the CeraVe Hydrating Face Wash comes in. This facial cleanser uses a unique formula to clean and hydrate your skin. The formula contains hyaluronic acid which maintains your skin's natural moisture, and the cleanser won't clog your pores.
This hydrating face wash is the best facial cleanser for anyone with dry skin. You can purchase a 16-ounce bottle of the CeraVe Hydrating Face Wash for $ to $$, and Amazon customers give the cleanser an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser
- Vitamin C Cleanser refines skin tone and texture, hydrates and refreshes, decreases the appearance of blackheads and...
- Ingredients: Infused with the natural antioxidant Vitamin C and extracts such as Green Tea, Chamomile, and Sugar Cane,...
- What to Expect: 89% of customers said they felt an overall improvement in skin after using our cleanser. It is the...
If you hate thick facial cleansers, you'll love the InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser. It's the best facial cleanser for everything from breakouts to wrinkles. The professional-grade formula works for both men and women, and it's both gentle and rejuvenating.
InstaNatural's facial cleanser is perfect for anyone who wants a light formula that won't feel heavy. This cleanser does cost a bit more than some of the competition, but at $ to $$ for a 6.7-ounce bottle, it's worth it. The average customer review on Amazon is 4.5 out of 5 stars.
TruSkin Naturals Facial Cleanser
- VITAMIN C CLEANSER WITH ANTIOXIDANTS - Daily face wash with ingredients designed to promote your skin's natural health....
- LIGHTWEIGHT ANTI AGING FACIAL CLEANSER - Enjoy radiant skin as with ingredients that target breakouts and minimize the...
- PLANT-BASED INGREDIENTS - Vitamin C and Aloe Vera are known for refining skin texture. Customers report refreshed and...
The TruSkin Naturals Facial Cleanser includes vitamin C and antioxidants to clean and refresh your skin. TruSkin Naturals only uses natural and organic ingredients, so you can be sure you're getting a good product. The formula contains a variety of plant extracts such as orange peel and tea tree oil. You also get the benefits of aloe vera, and the cleanser works well for all skin types.
If you want to avoid overly processed ingredients, the TruSkin Naturals cleanser could be the best facial cleanser for you. A four-ounce bottle of the TruSkin Naturals cleanser costs $ to $$. Customers on Amazon give it an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
All of the cleansers on our list are amazing in their own ways. Some are perfect for fighting acne while others are great for dry skin. Many of these cleansers are relatively affordable, so you don't have to break the bank.
The best facial cleanser should remove dirt, excess oils, and dead skin from your face. If you wear makeup regularly, you should also choose a cleanser that can remove makeup.
So which is the best facial cleanser? Your skin type might dictate that.
The CeraVe Hydrating Face Wash is perfect for dry skin. If you have oily skin, however, consider both of the cleansers from Neutrogena.
Want a light and breezy facial cleanser? Then give InstaNatural a try. And once you've tried everything else, Proactiv might be the solution you need.
No matter which facial cleanser you choose, be sure to use it regularly to see results. Washing your face is like any other habit. You have to keep up with it.
So get to washing!
Do you have a favorite facial cleanser that didn't make our list? Tell us about it in the comments!
Featured Image Source: Pixabay.com
Leave a Reply