If you have never awakened to an important day to find a pimple glaring back at you in the mirror, you are definitely one of the few lucky ones. Most of us have fought acne as teenagers, and some of us still break out as adults and often wonder how to get rid of pimples.
Pimples, clogged and infected oil glands that become swollen and filled with pus, are caused by several factors. Sex hormone changes, during puberty or around menstruation, for instance, creates one of the major causes. Others include oily skin, poor skin care, or just skin type.
Skin care regimes can be expensive, and people rarely want to invest money and time in a product that may not work for them. Or, some people always prefer natural remedies to drug store ointments or lotions. The following options show how to get rid of pimples, naturally.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar seems to be a miracle elixir credited with aiding weight loss, curing hiccups, lowering cholesterol and lessening the symptoms of the common cold. It is no surprise that this simple substance helps battle acne as well.
Made from fermenting apple cider, apple cider vinegar helps dry up the excess oil that causes acne. The organic acids in the vinegar suppress inflammation caused by pimples and may also prevent scars.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1Dilute the apple cider vinegar with three parts water to one part vinegar, or more water for sensitive skin.
- 2Wash your face and affected skin.
- 3Use a cotton ball to apply to your skin.
- 4Leave on up to 20 seconds.
- 5Rinse and pat dry.
- 6Repeat up to twice per day.
Please note that vinegar can burn skin. Err on the side of caution and always dilute it with water.
Honey and Cinnamon Mask
Using this mask not only makes you smell like cinnamon buns, it also offers antioxidants, found to be more effective at fighting acne than benzoyl peroxide and retinoids. Both ingredients are also known to reduce inflammation and bacteria, culprits in the creation of pimples
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using a Honey and Cinnamon Mask
- 1Make a paste with two tablespoons honey and one teaspoon cinnamon.
- 2Wash your face.
- 3Apply the mask.
- 4Let the mask dry for 10-15 minutes.
- 5Rinse the mask off completely and pat your face dry.
|Lemon Juice Large Pore Shrinkage Acne Toner||$24.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Clean & Clear Brightening Lemon Juice Facial Toner with Vitamin C and...||$5.97||Buy on Amazon|
Citrus fruits, our favorite way to get vitamin C, are not only good to eat or drink. Lemons also aid in skincare. The acid in lemons helps exfoliate the skin and dry out pimples within a couple of days.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Lemon Juice
- 1Juice a lemon. Packaged juice contains preservatives and do not work as quickly.
- 2Dip a cotton ball in two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and apply it directly on your pimples.
- 3Leave it on for 20 minutes
- 4Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- 5Repeat the process two or three times a day for a few days.
Perhaps toothpaste won't smell as good as honey and cinnamon, but it works quickly. White toothpaste dries out acne with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, and menthol. Whitening, gel or colored toothpastes do not work; the ingredients found in white toothpastes are the best for fighting acne if not bad breath. Also, if you try toothpaste and it irritates or burns your skin, try something else on this list.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Toothpaste
- 1Apply a little toothpaste directly on broken out skin.
- 2Leave it on for at least two hours or overnight.
- 3Wash it off with a damp washcloth.
- 4Apply a soothing moisturizer.
- 5Repeat once a day.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is perhaps less common to have readily available in your home than other remedies on this list. However, it is natural and reportedly works as well, and doesn't dry out, irritate, and burn skin like some expensive drug store remedies.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Tea Tree Oil
- 1Dilute the tea tree oil with nine parts water to one part vinegar, or more water for sensitive skin.
- 2Use a cotton ball to apply to your skin.
- 3Apply moisturizer if desired.
- 4Repeat this process up to twice per day.
Just thinking about drinking a cup of green tea makes us feel calmer. But can it also soothe the angry pimple?
Like the honey and cinnamon mask, green tea is loaded with antioxidants and the flavonoids and tannins are reported to fight bacteria and reduce inflammation.
Drinking green tea has been found to lower blood sugar and insulin levels, which also helps fight acne. But you don't have to just drink it, you can wear it too.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Green Tea
- 1Steep green tea in boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
- 2Allow tea to cool.
- 3Apply tea to skin using a cotton ball-or-
- 4Pour into a spray bottle to spritz on.
- 5Allow to dry on skin.
- 6Rinse with water and pat dry.
Corn was not the only useful plant Native Americans introduced to European colonists. Witch hazel, taken from the bark and leaves of the witch hazel shrub, has centuries of known help with a broad range of skin problems including dandruff, eczema, varicose veins, burns, bruises, insect bites, and acne.
Witch hazel is a bacteria-fighting plant that also reduces inflammation and aids healing. This makes it perfect for tackling a break out.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Witch Hazel
- 1Combine one tablespoon witch hazel bark and one cup of water in a small saucepan.
- 2Soak witch hazel for 30 minutes and then bring the mixture to a boil on the stove.
- 3Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 4Remove the mixture from the heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- 5Strain and store the liquid in a sealed container.
- 6Apply to clean skin using a cotton ball once or twice per day, or as desired.
This is more of a process than some of the other remedies, and you may be tempted to buy the witch hazel ointments found in the drug store. That's fine, but it may not be as effective, because some of the benefits are lost in the distillation process. Easier isn't always better.
Steam heat opens up clogs and releases bacteria, dirt, and oil trapped in the skin. Plus, all you need is water, a bowl, and a towel.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Steam
- 1Boil a pot of water and pour it into a large bowl.
- 2Cool the water enough so that the steam doesn't burn your skin.
- 3Position your face above the bowl and drape a thick towel over your head to trap the steam.
- 4After 10 to 15 minutes, remove the towel and pat your face dry.
- 5Apply an oil-free moisturizer.
- 6Repeat this process two times a day for four or five days to reduce pimples and give your skin a healthy glow.
No products found.
The anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric have long been touted to counteract the aches and pains of aging. But its properties also help teenagers, particularly teenage skin.
Turmeric also has antiseptic properties that prevent pimples from forming.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Turmeric
- 1Create a paste mixing one tablespoon of turmeric powder with a few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- 2Apply the paste on the affected skin and leave it on for a few minutes.
- 3Rinse it off with cold water.
- 4Do this twice daily for a week.
- 5You can also add one teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of warm milk and drink it regularly before going to bed to prevent pimples.
No products found.
Along with a good book, sunglasses and sunscreen, aloe vera gel is commonly found in beach and pool bags. Maybe it should be in the medicine cabinet as well.
Aloe vera is known to help treat burns and fight inflammation. But lesser known ingredients of the tropical plant, salicylic acid and sulfur, are both used in treating acne.
How to Get Rid of Pimples Using Aloe Vera
- 1Scrape the gel from the aloe plant out with a spoon.
- 2Apply gel directly to clean skin as a moisturizer.
- 3Repeat 1-2 times per day, or as desired -Or-
- 4Buy aloe vera gel from the store, making sure it is pure aloe without any added ingredients.
Pimples rear their ugly heads for any number of reasons. It could be hormones. It could be oily skin. The good news, is there are at least as many ways to fight it.
As all skin types are different, some of these natural remedies might work better on your skin than others. However, that is not such a financial risk when experimenting with home remedies. As long as you are cautious, you also don't have to worry about skin irritations that sometimes come with drug store treatments. Try a few and see how to get rid of pimples, naturally.