You actually do need the best toner. That means, of course, the best toner for you, your skin type, and your skincare regimen. But, while searching the internet for the best toner, chances are you found a bunch of bloggers talking about how bad of an experience they had using toner when they were younger.
To put it simply, time stands still for no product, and toner is no different. The best toners nowadays can do more than treat acne and other skin issues.
Some of these brands also have new formulations. Surprising ones; if you expect the sting to slap you when you use toner, then you are in a for a surprise. For some of these products, you won't feel a thing.
So, what's the best toner? Let's dig into that...
But First, What Does A Toner Do?
On top of having the misconception that makes them dread using toners, not a lot of people know what these products are or even what they do for your skin. Instead of thinking of it as "torture in a bottle," you should know that a toner is part of a sensible and effective skincare routine. Generally, a toner is used after cleansing your skin.
The best toners on the market rid the skin of the last remaining dirt. They also take away the residue from oil cleansers or foam wash. Some toners also prepare your skin. For instance, in Korean skincare routines, toners help your skin absorb everything you put on it, including essences, serums, and moisturizers.
Today's best toner doesn't even sting as much as the products we've seen in the past.
How To Use A Toner
You use toners after cleansing your skin and before you put other products on it. You can put it on a cotton pad and swipe it all over your face. Or you can dispense a small amount into your palm and tap it directly onto your face.
What To Look For In The Best Toner?
The best toner for you will depend entirely on your skin type and specific issues that you may have. For dull skin, look for a toner that has glycolic acid or other AHAs to help slough off dead skin cells. Some toners that have exfoliating action, such as those with papaya or lactic acid, can also make your skin look younger and brighter.
Those who have dry skin will benefit from alcohol-free toners with moisturizing ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, lecithin, or glycerin. Other toners can also help in removing oil and dirt from your pores, making it look smaller.
However, if you have problems remembering all that, some toners work for all skin types. Look for one that has rose water, hyaluronic acid, cucumber extract, chamomile extract, or other similar ingredients that ply your skin with moisture.
How We Chose The Candidates For This Best Toner List
In putting together our recommendations for this best toner list, we checked the recommendations of beauty blogs and websites to narrow down the list of candidates. We then checked Amazon listings for these products and eliminated those that have ratings of 3.9 stars out of 5.0 or lower.
Pricing For The Best Toner Products You Can Buy
Here's one bit of good news. You can own the best toner for anywhere from $ to $$$. You can have thoroughly cleaned skin while helping skincare products become more effective, without needing to spend too much.
The Best Toner You Can Buy Right Now: A Short List
What are the best toner products you should try? Here are our suggestions.
1. Rose Water Facial Toner by Leven Rose
- 100% PURE NATURAL MOROCCAN ROSE WATER + MIST TOP - Perfect for toning face, neck, decolletage, eye area, dry skin, body...
- ONE INGREDIENT ONLY - Alcohol Free and non oily, glycerin free, and additional fragrance free (no perfume added),...
- HOW TO USE LEVEN ROSE ROSEWATER - Cleanse skin with a natural cleanser such as Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil or any...
The Rose Water Facial Toner by Leven Rose is alcohol-, oil-, and glycerine-free. It is made with organic Moroccan rose water that gives it its natural fragrance. This product is not just for your face, as it can tone the skin on your whole body.
While rose water is widely used as a perfume, it does have medicinal benefits. It has both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Rose water also soothes your skin, helping you deal with skin problems such as rosacea and eczema.
It can protect skin cells from damage while also inhibiting collagenase and elastase, which can harm your complexion. Lastly, it can fight skin aging as well.
This botanical astringent can help reduce redness. It does not contain parabens and is never tested on animals. Those who have a vegan lifestyle will love using this product. It can moisturize your skin while priming it.
All you need to do is to put an adequate amount of this toner on a cotton ball and apply it over your skin. You can also mist or spray it on as well.
2. Thayers Rose Petal Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel With Aloe Vera Formula Toner
- Natural Botanical Skin Toner: Cleanses, tones and moisturizes with rosewater, witch hazel extract, and filet of aloe...
- Witch Hazel: proprietary extract contains 195% more tannins than competitors, tightens pores, controls acne and oil...
- Beneficial Tannins: mild antioxidant properties, reduces irritation, balances skin pH, clears skin
The Thayers Rose Petal Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Formula Toner benefits your skin by soothing it. It combines the effects of rose water, witch hazel extract, and aloe vera to soothe and calm your skin. The rose water used in this product has natural oils that can hydrate your skin, making it more plump and dewy.
It can work with witch hazel to tighten your pores, while also regulating oil and sebum production. The rose water also has vitamin C that can encourage collagen production while making your skin cells stronger.
Witch hazel has traditionally been used for a wide variety of skin problems, including irritated and inflamed skin, minor burns, small wounds, insect bites, swelling, and bruises. Aloe vera, on the other hand, can heal your wounds faster and blocks out the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. It can also fight inflammation, while also fighting skin aging.
Aloe vera is also a known moisturizer.
3. Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Facial Toner
- 8.5-fluid ounce of Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Facial Toner to help purify, cleanse and refresh skin without stripping its...
- This alcohol-free face toner is contains mild purifiers that work to gently remove impurities and help recondition skin
- The alcohol-free formula of this cleansing toner cleanses and refreshes skin without causing irritation or drying skin...
If you are still traumatized by memories of toners stinging your face, then you should try the Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Facial Toner. This product can cleanse, purify, and renew your skin without drying it. This toner also has mild moisturizers to recondition your skin, while staunchly removing impurities.
4. Mario Badescu Witch Hazel & Rosewater Toner
The Mario Badescu Witch Hazel & Rosewater Toner helps to restore radiance and clarity to your skin and face after cleansing it. This toner removes the impurities left on your skin, while also ensuring that the moisture stays on your face. This product uses a combination of rose water and witch hazel to make your skin look fresh and rejuvenated.
5. InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Toner
- CLEANS, CLEARS & PREPS SKIN - Each soothing mist of our toner delivers our advanced ingredients, including MSM, to...
- COMBAT OILY SKIN - Our Vitamin C Facial Toner formula is full of components with varying purposes, but they all work...
- ANTI-AGING ANTIOXIDANTS - When it comes to developing healthy and youthful skin in both men and women, Vitamin C is a...
The InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Toner contains witch hazel. It can minimize the appearance of pores and even calms your skin. You can mist it on your face to help clean and prepare your skin for other products that you put on it.
This toner can also make your skin more elastic. You can use this to fight oily skin as it can remove excess sebum and oil. It also has glycolic acid and vitamin E that can make your skin healthier while balancing the pH of your complexion.
The vitamin C in this product can also brighten your skin while supplying it with antioxidants. It can also help reverse skin aging. As a result, your skin looks younger and feels tighter. This product is also notable for the things it doesn't have: parabens, mineral oil, synthetic dyes, formaldehyde releasers, and sulfates.
6. KLAIRS Supple Preparation Facial Toner
- Hydrates and calms sensitive skin post-cleansing and tidies the skin texture to smoothed while maintaining the optimal...
- Plant extracts and soothing ingredients blended together for a calming formula, the non-irritating, super hydrating...
- Faster absorption, enhanced hydration, Balance pH level, Calming formula, Non-irritation, 180ml, 6.08oz
The KLAIRS Supple Preparation Facial Toner moisturizes and calms your skin. Use this toner after cleaning your face to help tidy up whatever remains from the cleansers that you use. This product has plant extracts that do not irritate your skin further.
Some of the active ingredients include hyaluronic acid, beta-glucan, lipidure, and Centenella Asiatic extracts. Hyaluronic acid helps to moisturize your skin. This compound is naturally found on your skin. It retains water, while also reversing the signs of aging.
Meanwhile, beta-glucan is a polysaccharide sugar that has antioxidant properties and a calming effect on your skin. Further, lipidure is used in a variety of cosmetics. It has shown to be beneficial to the skin.
Lastly, the Centella Asiatica has traditionally been used as a treatment for a variety of skin diseases such as psoriasis, scleroderma, and burns. It can also heal wounds faster. Further, it might be beneficial in treating sun-damaged skin.
7. Teddie Organics Organic Rose Water
- 100% PURE & ORGANIC ROSE WATER. There are no Chemicals, no Preservatives and definitely no Artificial Fragrances in our...
- COMPLETE SKIN CARE. Provides instant hydration for your face and neck whilst rejuvenating tired skin, helping to create...
- SUITABLE FOR ALL SKIN TYPES. Normal, Oily, Dry and sensitive. We haven't included Witch Hazel in this toner as it can be...
The Teddie Organics Organic Rose Water is another one of our choices for the best toner you can own now. If you like organic products, then this toner is the best for you. It can hydrate the skin, and it can give off a sweet and floral fragrance.
The Best Toner Can Do Wonders For Your Skin
We hope that going through this list of the best toner products you can buy right now have changed your minds about these products. Forget about the pain and the tears you had using toners for your acne when you were in your teens and give the best toner products a try.
You can finally get cleaner skin while priming it to absorb serums, moisturizers, and other products. Some toners in this list even have other effects such as making you look younger while keeping your skin moisturized.
Which of these products is the best toner for you? Tell us about it in the comments!