One of the hardest choices you will ever have to make as a beachgoer is deciding which portable beach umbrella to buy. With there being lots of them on the market that all seeming to look similar, the choice can be downright herculean.
This is where we come in. We have taken the pains to compile a list of the top 10 best portable beach umbrellas in 2019 you should spend your money on. We want to save you money, save you from stress and at the same time, help u conserve your time for better things.
Factors To Consider When Choosing a Beach Umbrella
Our list of beach umbrellas isn’t just a random list; we have rather put a number of factors into consideration. These factors, we believe are the same ones that will influence your choice in the long run.
We can’t have you spending on something that wouldn’t last. Part of ensuring you have a durable beach umbrella is researching the materials before making a purchase. Opt for materials that are light and resourceful, such as polyester, vinyl, and acrylic.
Avoid wood materials if you often experience windy or wet conditions on the beach and wish for your beach umbrella to last a long time. Consider the weather throughout your search as a light fabric is less sturdy in the wind than a thicker fabric.
Ease of Usage
Life is already complicated enough; and most importantly, value for money. How simple is the umbrella to set up? Do you need more than one person to operate it or does it just require the click of a button to pop up? You should also bear in mind how it folds away. If you need to remove parts, and it’s been raining, this can be a tricky (and messy process).
Another factor which we employed is the reviews by customers who already purchased a particular model. Of course, manufacturers’ specs sheet will tell you a lot of things about these umbrellas, hearing them from others who have spent good money to have them is always better.
Perhaps one of the most important factors to consider is the beach umbrellas size. Plan in advance how many people will use the umbrella. Is it for the family or just you? Also, consider that the larger the beach umbrella, the more difficult it will be to find enough space on the beach. The size can also affect the unit’s portability and ease of use, so this is certainly something to bear in mind.
If you must purchase a large umbrella, check that it is curved at the top so it can withstand any high winds. Otherwise, the umbrella will fall flat any wind makes contact with it.
One of the main reasons people purchase a beach umbrella is for protection from the sun. However, just because you come across an umbrella that’s labeled as suitable for the beach, it doesn’t mean it has excellent sun protection.
If the umbrella offers a UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) of 50+, you can safely remain in the sun for hours. Most umbrellas offer a range of 15-25, which means it will block out 90-95 percent of the sun’s harmful UV rays. Consider how much time you’ll spend in the sun and if you’ll remain in direct sunlight to determine which factor is suitable for you.
Maintaining Your Beach Umbrella
Thankfully, you’re purchasing a portable beach umbrella, which makes it smaller and lighter than regular umbrellas. However, it’ll be exposed to salt water and sand, so you need to maintain it properly after each use.
The first course of action is to shake off the umbrella to remove any sand and water particles. If you have a case (which we recommend), please your umbrella inside of this until you get home so it won’t damage or mark your car’s interior.
Once you’re home, open up the beach umbrella, and mix laundry detergent with water. Then, wipe the solution onto the umbrella using a soft sponge to release any dirt. The dirtier you’re umbrella, the longer you should leave this solution sitting on it to soak up the dirt.
After this process, rinse the umbrella with clean water (using a hose) and leave in a shaded area until it’s dry and you can put it away.
The Top 10 Best Portable Beach Umbrellas To Buy
Come with us on this journey, as we reveal which 10 beach umbrellas you should be seriously thinking of buying.
Table of Contents
- Factors To Consider When Choosing a Beach Umbrella
- Maintaining Your Beach Umbrella
- The Top 10 Best Portable Beach Umbrellas To Buy
- 10. Otentik Beach SunShade
- 9. Yescom 13ft XL Outdoor Patio Umbrella
- 8. Buoy Beach Umbrella
- 7. Frankford Umbrella Shade Star Steel Beach Umbrellas
- 6. SueSport Sand Anchor 7 ft Beach Umbrella
- 5. Shadezilla 8ft Premium Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
- 4. Impact Canopy Beach Umbrella Rainbow
- 3. Shadezilla Premium Heavy Duty Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
- 2. Tommy Bahama Sand Anchor 7ft Beach Umbrella
- 1. Sport-Brella Portable All-Weather & Sun Umbrella
- Which Portable Beach Umbrella Should You Buy?
10. Otentik Beach SunShade
This unique beach umbrella is most convenient for groups or families on the move because of its lightweight, petite design. It can be set up just about anywhere – in the water, on the beach, or in between for that best-of-both-worlds feel.
Its high quality build includes Eurojersey fabric which is a modern innovation being sand repellent, quick to dry when it comes in contact with water and provides sufficient sun cover while allowing great air circulation.
The material is additionally wrinkle free, meaning that it can be folded up in little spaces and still look great when called upon.
- Unique and elegant design that you won’t find all around.
- High quality material that brings a lot of comfort in usage and maintenance.
- One of the most portable beach umbrellas on the market.
- Might be a bit difficult for first time users to set up.
- There’s no privacy while using this umbrella.
9. Yescom 13ft XL Outdoor Patio Umbrella
The biggest source of joy for customers who have purchased this particular umbrella is the price. The next best thing about is the versatility it possesses as it fits into just about every setting: patio, cafe, beach side, etc.
The green color just helps it blend seamlessly into nature while the German Beech wood frame is sturdy enough to handle some level of rough handling.
Strong enough to withstand some level of heavy rainfall, it is built to last. It blocks out the sun comfortably, and with its basic umbrella design, allows optimal air circulation and can easily be folded for transportation.
Its 13ft diameter means it’s got space for everyone.
- Very easy to use
- Suits a number of different purposes and locations
- Easy to disengage and transport
- Quite cumbersome to lumber around
- Might not be very easy for one person alone to set up.
8. Buoy Beach Umbrella
There are more than a few standout points for this special beach umbrella. First it comes with a backpack (shade anchor bag) for easy carriage, which also doubles as a buoy when sand filled – talk about thinking out of the box. This anchor can withstand up to 30mph winds before it gets shaky.
It is reinforced enough with double jointed fiber glass ribs to withstand wind damage from blowing out and the sand buoy serves to prevent it from being blown away.
It protect from all of the sun’s harmful rays, allows you to enjoy the cool breeze of the beach in style.
- Very innovative design.
- Very easy to transport, install and use.
- Adjustable height for different usage modes.
- You may have to get into the sand to use it.
- Quite small compared to others
7. Frankford Umbrella Shade Star Steel Beach Umbrellas
A true star of the shade, this Frankford beach umbrella employs some premium materials in its overall design. A pole made out of solid ashwood and zinc plated rivets and joints for durability make up the support structure.
The shade offers the premium UPF 50+ sun protection with its olefin fabric.
Opening for use is by a simple push action and it comes with a carry bag. Customers attest to its sturdiness and premium build, you should have your eyes on this.
- Very strong and sturdy build as against others with aluminum frames
- Good looks, with different color schemes to choose from.
- Easy to open.
- Quite heavy to lug around.
6. SueSport Sand Anchor 7 ft Beach Umbrella
This is another one of the more beautiful beach umbrellas for you to choose from. It is vented to allow great airflow while protecting you from the sun as you enjoy your day off at the beach.
To keep it standing, it is manufactured with a strong aluminum spine, fiber glass ribs for support and zinc tilt on the pole. This helps it resist wind better, and consequently, last longer in your use.
The integrated sand anchor is also another standout feature which helps to fasten your beach umbrella to the ground securely with just one twist.
It is guaranteed to protect you from over 95% of the sun’s UV rays with its oxford fabric.
- Very lightweight to carry around
- Very easy to set up and use
- Anchors well to the sand without much hassle
- The aluminum frame may not withstand heavy winds.
- Due to the sand anchor, it is not possible to use it with a holed beach table.
5. Shadezilla 8ft Premium Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
This sturdy and robust beach umbrella is ready to withstand even the windiest of days on the beach. It is a heavy duty piece and it does its duty well.
Starting with the ultimate UPF 100+ protection as well as a shade experience for great cooling air flow held buy a 1.5″ diameter aluminum frame (which is far less easy to bend than the 1.25″ variant), it is obvious that this one was built to last very long.
The fiberglass rib structure is very flexible and will not bend out of shape or get kinked soon.
All over the piece, premium quality harnessing is employed so that the chance of it being turned inside out by wind is just about eliminated.
The Rapid Thumb release button which helps it to stay snap-locked in space beats lever type locks employed in most beach umbrellas and helps to prevent splitting of the upper and lower poles when wind is gusting.
- Very solid, one of the strongest beach umbrellas on the market
- Lightweight for its functionality.
- Can withstand very strong wind gusts
- Requires additional purchases to enjoy full functionality.
- The aluminum frame is a risk in itself, but it’s large diameter should help it hold up well
4. Impact Canopy Beach Umbrella Rainbow
This is an extra large umbrella for you and your friends or family to lounge under on beach days out.
It features 16 fiberglass support ribs to give it enough strength to stand against inversion. It also has for its spine, a 1.25″ aluminum pole which is lightweight, strong and rust free for performance and durability.
To keep the aluminum frame in the ground is an 8″ Auger tip helping to screw it into the ground.
Its umbrella top is vented to facilitate air flow and prevent inversion and it has filters to offer UPF 50+ UV protection keeping out 98% of the sun’s rays.
Did we mention that it is rainbow colored? And it looks good too.
- Beautiful rainbow colored shade which is easy to spot on the beach.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Perfect for group gatherings.
- Some users found the color scheme to be juvenile
- Quite heavy to move about.
3. Shadezilla Premium Heavy Duty Fiberglass Beach UmbrellaNo products found.
No products found.
Another one of the 8fters from Shadezilla. As the name implies, it has a large span to shade you and your group from the sun’s angry rays.
It comes with an easy carrier and when folded up, can fit into the tiniest of spaces. Featuring flexible fiberglass ribs that will not bend out of shape under pressure. Its non-corroding heavy duty frame stands up to some really strong winds.
The fabric of choice is a 600 Denier Polyester make which is rugged enough to prevent wear and tear and is reinforced to offer UPF 100+ protection against the sun and its rays. The airflow is surprisingly very good and it feels very cool on some of the hottest days even.
It comes with some fresh features like cup holders, hooks to hang stuff, etc. It also tilts thanks to its hinges.
- Easy to package and move around
- Easy to set up for use
- Easy latches to operate
- Users have complained about it keeling over too often
- The ribs inside don’t seem to be enough for other users.
2. Tommy Bahama Sand Anchor 7ft Beach Umbrella
The tilting function as well as the premium vinyl shade might just make this choice of beach umbrella for you.
Sand anchored, this umbrella will stand on the beach for as long as you need it to, and it’s fiberglass ribs can hold the shade cloth even in wind gusts without damage.
Throw in a built-in sand anchor and it stays on its feet without problems. You can also tilt it as you like to peer at the sky or to follow the sun.
The vinyl shade is vented to increase wind tolerance. The rest of the rap sheet is pretty usual: UV protection, carrying case, silver lining.
- Sand anchor boosts its standing
- Lightweight, weighing only 4.25 pounds and quite cheap.
- Comes with its own carrying case.
- It doesn’t stay so strong on very windy days.
- Doesn’t fit a lot of people in its shade.
1. Sport-Brella Portable All-Weather & Sun Umbrella
This particular umbrella protects you and yours at the beach, but doesn’t limit your view. The innovative design is both beautiful and functional.
It ships with 3 Tie-down cords of 8ft each, 8 steel ground stakes and a carry bag for storage and transport. It is equipped to stay on the ground sturdy and strong.
It protects from 99.5% of the sun’s rays with UPF 50+ protection. The canopy is also made of a rugged and durable 210 D polyester for protection in all weather – it includes side flaps to protect against rain gusts with windows to see out through when fully covered.
As far as portable beach umbrellas are concerned, this is probably the standard bearer.
- Easy to carry around due to its light weight
- Innovative design
- Not on the expensive side
- Not suitable for very windy days
- Cannot contain many persons (but then, it is a mini umbrella)
Which Portable Beach Umbrella Should You Buy?
We have touched just about every size of umbrella, from the lowly 7fters to 13ft behemoths; therefore there is a piece for everyone’s needs.
As a suggestion, our number one pick has to be the Sport Brella portable all-weather piece due to its versatility and innovative design. Its ease of use and chic look also stands out for us.
Make your choice today, order the right beach umbrella for your needs and have lovely beach days ahead.