We all have mornings when we’re so busy that we need to leave house within minutes of waking up leaving us no time to have a proper breakfast. That’s when these No Bake Granola Bars come in to your Life.
They are super simple to make and did I say healthy too? Made with a mix of rolled oats, coconut, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds and sweetened with medjool dates they are a tasty treat not just for a quick breakfast.
Perfect for kids and grown-ups alike they are the ultimate bars to have stored up in your freezer for Life’s little emergencies.
I’ve made these bars gluten-free and vegan to fit different dietary requirements and do use certified gluten-free oats when necessary. This recipe is perfect made with large rolled oats which create good structure for the bars.
If you like to make them even more special and have more time I recommend roasting the hazelnuts first for about 10-15 minutes in the oven or 5-10 minutes on a pan. I’ve used already skinned hazelnuts, but if you buy hazelnuts with their skin left on, this step might be necessary for you to remove the skin.
Roast them until the skin has cracked and then use cotton towel to rub most of the skin off. Give them a rough chop and they are ready to use in the recipe.
To make the bars simply add all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and give it a good whisk. Then make the date paste which will act as a binder and makes a sticky mixture.
The secret to make the date paste is to have the dates and coconut oil warm which will make it easier to blend the mix together. Have a little patience with it, it will come together, but takes a little time.
Watch the Video Version for this No Bake Granola Recipe
I love tahini and have used it in the mix, but if you’re not a fan, you could easily substitute tahini with other nut butter of your choice. Almond butter, hazelnut or peanut butter would all make a great choice.
Mix the date paste with the rest of the dry ingredients, spoon into your lined dish and press it down as tightly as you can. Place it into a freezer, it will only take about 30 minutes to set.
Now you can cut it into bars very easily. You can store the bars in a fridge or freezer in an airtight container.
After you make this recipe once, you can get really creative with it and create lots of different variations using different nuts and seeds. Enjoy:)
- 1½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 8 large medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- Line 8"x 8" baking dish with some parchment paper and set aside.
- Place pitted medjool dates into a bowl with hot water and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together oats, desiccated coconut, chopped hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and sea salt. Set aside.
- Drain soaked medjool dates and mash with a fork. Gently melt coconut oil and add together with tahini to the dates. Mix everything together until combined into a smooth paste. It's easier when the ingredients are still warm.
- Add the paste to the dry mix and mix together until you have a sticky mixture.
- Spoon into your prepared lined dish and smooth out evenly. Press the mix tightly down with a back of a spoon or use palm of your hand.
- Place into a freezer for 30 minutes to set until hard.
- Remove from the dish and carefully cut into 12 bars.
- Store in a fridge or freezer in an airtight container.