Whether it’s at home, at work, or in a wheelchair, many people out there are stuck in a seat for hours on end. Regardless of whether it’s for work or leisure, most likely you find yourself doing this regularly.
Undoubtedly, this starts to make you uncomfortable. It starts with the harmless impressions the clothing leaves on your skin, but this inconvenience eventually turns into pain. This is a nuisance, but the pain starts to become more debilitating.
That pain in your coccyx will lead to back pain and eventual spinal cord issues that could end up requiring diagnostic procedures and possibly surgery to fix. The good news is there are options out there to avoid this.
Seat cushions are great options to help both everyone with comfort and simple designs to relieve the pressure on your coccyx and save your spine. These cushions are also easy to take care of, carry with you, and have a myriad of unique and varied colors and sizes that will serve useful in your car, house, or place of work.
What are some of the best seat cushions available? What should you look for in a potential seat cushion for you?
Read our reviews of the top 10 best orthopedic seat cushions of 2017 below to find the best choice for your needs.
Table of Contents
- 10. Comfy Cush Back Pain Seat Cushion
- 9. TravelMate Orthopedic Coccyx Seat Cushion
- 8. Xtreme Comforts Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion
- 7. Cushina Ergonomic Memory Foam Orthopedic Seat Cushion
- 6. Better-Lyfe Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- 5. Comfilife Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- 4. Getcomfort Goods Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- 3. I-PURE ITEMS Coccyx Orthopedic Comfortable Memory Foam
- 2. PERFECT POSTURE Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- 1. ComfyCloud Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion
- Which Orthopedic Seat Cushions Should You Buy?
10. Comfy Cush Back Pain Seat Cushion
This is an orthopedic seat cushion made specifically in a research lab for universal use. Using 5 different molds, its specific purpose is to relieve lower back pain. It is made entirely out of memory foam and is three inches thick.
Furthermore, it doesn’t flatten when sat on. It will remain about 3 inches in height during use. Easily purchased on a variety of sites, this is a common choice for people looking for relief of lower back pain.
- It serves as an office, wheelchair, and car seat cushion. Whatever your use for it, it helps.
- The memory foam helps to distribute weight evenly. The memory foam contains a high density that even relieves stress when you release from the cushion.
- This cushion can even be used to relieve the back pain associated with pregnancy.
- The memory foam makes it a little larger and heavier to carry around.
- Not recommended for use by people over 250 pounds.
9. TravelMate Orthopedic Coccyx Seat Cushion
This is another universal seat cushion for use at work, in your house, and on the go. It has a wide variety of uses both for back pain and for sciatica. It has a gel-enhanced design that molds to the shape of your coccyx and back that improves the support it provides. Once it molds, it helps to improve the way your back sits to relieve the pressure and forces that can cause you to require procedures and surgery.
- This seat cushion has a removable, machine washable cover that makes maintenance easy
- For a price under $30, this is one of the cheaper seat cushions available
- This seat cushion doesn’t just prevent injuries. It also helps to heal existing ones. Whether it’s healing a broken coccyx, relieving a pressure also, or even sciatica, this seat cushion can help that recovery.
- This seat cushion lacks the memory foam that many of the other seat cushions have, which provides extra support and benefit
- It comes only in a grey-themed color
8. Xtreme Comforts Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion
This seat cushion is specifically recommended for sciatica, back pain, and other existing issues with sitting down. This is a top-end seat cushion that suits multiple situations, such as driving and office work. Similar to other memory foam seat cushions, this does not flatten on seating. By keeping the tailbone suspended, the weight is distributed and prevents health complications from sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Comes with a removable, machine washable cover that makes cleaning and maintenance easy
- Comes with a two-year money-back guarantee that sets this seat cushion apart from others
- The memory foam never goes flat, giving extra height while driving
- This cushion will only ship to the USA.
- At 2 pounds this is one of the heavier options out there, making transportation somewhat challenging
7. Cushina Ergonomic Memory Foam Orthopedic Seat Cushion
This orthopedic seat cushion is perfect for pain relief. People with sciatica have been endorsing this ergonomically designed seat cushion for years. The memory foam cushion provides outstanding tailbone support and is perfect for home, office, and car use. The memory foam does not go flat. This seat cushion comes in a U shape that will ensure your posture improves dramatically with use.
- The cushion comes with a zipper that allows the cushion to breathe.
- This cushion comes with a lifetime warranty unique to this product.
- This cushion does not slide when sat on even if used on the floor.
- When used on the floor, it can be challenging to stand up from this low-seated position.
- At $40 even when on sale, this high-end seat cushion is one of the more expensive options.
6. Better-Lyfe Memory Foam Seat Cushion
This seat cushion was specially designed by pain specialists and osteopathic professionals with years of experience treating people with chronic pain. This is one of the newer designs on the market that attempted to fix the flaws of other models. This cushion is good for numbness, soreness, posture issues, and fatigue. Made of memory foam, it will relieve the forces that cause spinal injury.
- This cushion comes with a handle for easy lifting and transport.
- This cushion is also machine washable.
- It has an anti-slide liner on the bottom of the cushion so you won’t end up sliding across the floor.
- The built in handle can also get in the way and cause pain for larger individuals who may sit on or against the handle.
- At $35 this is one of the more expensive options on the market.
5. Comfilife Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
This memory foam seat cushion is great for those with nerve pain and sciatica. Whether sitting in the sofa or office chair, car or truck, this cushion is ideal for hard seats at games and concerts as well. This cushion also improves your posture and will cause you stand straighter. This seat is also perfect for people with back pain associated with pregnancy.
- This seat cushion has sides that come up and prevent you from falling off of the cushion.
- This cushion has an anti-skid coating on the bottom that prevents the cushion from sliding.
- This product is specially contoured to support your legs as well as your back.
- This product only comes in a gray color.
- While the handle is easy to transport, larger people may end up sitting on or against the handle, causing discomfort.
4. Getcomfort Goods Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
This memory foam seat cushion is used to relieve back pain, sciatica, and even hemorrhoids. The design is perfect for placing on top of seats for home, work, or office use. That makes this cushion a strong choice for long-term use and longer road trips. Made of memory foam, this cushion will contour its design to the shape of your spine and distribute weight evenly across your spine.
- Has a coccyx cut-out that makes this product unique among its competitors.
- The memory foam is durable and will never go flat.
- This product has a removable machine washable cover that makes care and maintenance easy.
- This product is about $50 even on sale, making it one of the most expensive products on the market.
- This product only comes with a single color, black, cover.
3. I-PURE ITEMS Coccyx Orthopedic Comfortable Memory Foam
This memory foam cushion was designed to relieve tailbone, sciatica, and lower back pain. This cushion was engineered for providing support to the caudal vertebrae, which reduces pain and stress on the tailbone. Even with prolonged use, the cushion will remain strong and maintain blood supply to the caudal region of the spine. This prevents pain and numbness.
- This cushion comes with a revolutionary design of a cutout around the groin region for easy breathing.
- The memory foam cushion will contour to the body for added support.
- The cushion is lined with anti-skid materials on the bottom to prevent sliding.
- The product requires disassembly for transport.
- This product approaches $40 even on sale, making it expensive.
2. PERFECT POSTURE Memory Foam Seat Cushion
This cushion has recently been redesigned with a new look and new memory foam that provide increased comfort from prior versions. It serves those with tailbone issues, lower back problems, and sciatica. This has been endorsed by doctors and chiropractors for a variety of conditions, such as fibromyalgia, surgery recovery, and even those with spinal disc problems and nerve pain. Recommended for use even for those standing on concrete.
- Weighing one pound, this is one of the lightest options on the market, making it easy for transport.
- This product comes with a machine-washable cover for easy maintenance and cleaning.
- The product was redesigned with a mesh fabric and improved breathing and air flow.
- Only a useful option for people weighing up to 225 pounds.
- This product is $60 when on sale and $100 when not on sale. It may be the most expensive option on the market.
1. ComfyCloud Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion
This is a comfortable seat cushion that assists in removing lower back pain and tailbone pressure. This cushion can also relieve pressure on areas that can lead to development of ulcers and sores. The small cushion design makes it a good choice for both home and office use. This cushion will also aid in improving back posture, promoting long term spinal health.
- One of the lightest product on the market, making for easy transport from place to place.
- It has a removable, machine-washable cover that makes cleaning and maintenance easy.
- This product only costs $17 on sale, making it the cheapest option available.
- This product is not made of memory foam, meaning it doesn’t provide many of the benefits the other choices do. This also means it will wear out quicker.
- This product will collapse when used for prolonged periods, removing many of the benefits it provides.
Which Orthopedic Seat Cushions Should You Buy?
Ultimately, there are a host of different cushions out there in a wide variety of designs, materials and prices. The more severe or unique your symptoms and pain are, the more specific the seat cushion you’re looking for.
Memory foam cushions tend to be more expensive and heavier, but provide added benefit of shaping to your body and not collapsing when used. These stronger cushions also last longer than others.
Easy transport and care of the product are also important for its continued. If you’re tired of dealing with the constant back pain, check out these products today. You won’t be disappointed. Click here to see the one I bought.