For people that own a garden, especially one that is large in size, having a fertilizer spreader is a great idea. Though they make the job of spreading fertilizer easier, it is not always an easy job to select one.
The reason they are difficult to select is that there are many spreaders available on the market for sale as well price ranges and various qualities of spreaders. Before you spread yourself too thin selecting a fertilizer spreader, please read this article.
I am going to review some spreaders and tell you which one of them I believe is the top 10 best fertilizer spreaders in 2017 out of all of them. The first one I am going to review is the Lesco High Wheel Fertilizer Spreader.
Table of Contents
- 10. Lesco High Wheel Fertilizer Spreader
- 9. Husqvarna Broadcast Spreader
- 8. Earthway Broadcast Spreader
- 7. Field Tuff Mount Spreader
- 6. Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
- 5. Brinly Broadcast Spreader
- 4. Jonathan Green Go-Green Rotary Spreader
- 3. Agri-Fab Smartspreader Broadcast Spreader
- 2. Chapin 84150 Crank Spreader
- 1. Scotts Mini Broadcast Spreader
- Which Fertilizer Spreader Should You Buy?
10. Lesco High Wheel Fertilizer Spreader
This spreader is perfect for landscapers and lawn care experts as it is an industry standard spreader because it can meet the needs of those that use it year round. It can spread fertilizer in the spring and salt in the winter.
It has extra large tires that are operated by pressurized gas or has the same gas in them. These tires give the person operating it a smooth ride and a lot of extra security when going over rough terrain and also lowers the chance of rutting by a lot.
The frame, axle, and impeller shaft are all made of stainless steel. These are only some of the features that make this spreader one that will last a long time.
- It has an 80 lb. hopper capacity.
- It comes with a manual deflector kit.
- They are solid and very well built.
- It has to remain clean to last a long time.
- It does require some assembly prior to it being used.
9. Husqvarna Broadcast Spreader
This fertilizer spreader has an 85-pound capacity with an eight to ten-inch spread. It has 12,000 square foot coverage. It also has an easy flow control adjustment, yellow dichromate hardware that resists rust, and ten-by-four inch pneumatic tires.
A hitch pin and gear box are included with this fertilizer spreader. It also spreads the fertilizer evenly without a lot of effort.This spreader also does the job of other spreaders at a fraction of the cost. The weight of this spreader is seventeen pounds and the dimensions are 25 X 17 X 22 inches.
People that bought this spreader truly like it, says it works well, is great, and works well without them having to do a lot.
- It spreads fertilizer evenly.
- It does a great job without charging a great amount of money.
- The control lever makes it easy to adjust the height of the spreader.
- It comes with missing parts.
- The instructions are not written in English.
8. Earthway Broadcast Spreader
This set-up broadcast spreader is designed for people to use for personal use in their own yards. The handlebar controls that are located high on the handle provide a precise release.
It comes fully assembled so you can use it right away. The ten-inch wheels are large in size and are non-slip. The cubic capacity of this fertilizer spreader is 1,900 inches and it can hold up to eighty pounds of material.
It has a commercial quality gearbox and the gears in the gearbox will last for many years of problem-free usage. The handle of this spreader is adjustable. The grip of this fertilizer spreader is made of adjustable foam and is comfortable for the people that use it.
- It dispenses a lot of fertilizer in a little amount of time.
- It is very easy to use.
- It is sturdy.
- The plastic wheels do not move well on the ground.
- It gets jammed quite often.
7. Field Tuff Mount Spreader
The 12-volt hitch mount of this spreader easily spreads fertilizer and seed. It has a powerful 570 rpm motor that makes it have quality performance consistently and it also achieves maximum productivity with little wasted effort or cost.
This spreader is sealed for protection and is heavy duty and durable. It has a maximum capacity of eighty pounds and can hold up to eight pounds of grass seed, fertilizer, or small grain. The broadcast width is twelve inches and it makes sure that the task is done as productively as possible.
To make it easier for you to use, the controls can be reached from the operator’s seat. It also comes with a rain cover to make it last longer.
- It has a one-year limited warranty.
- It easily mounts to an ATV, UTV, or utility tractor 1 ¼ or 2-inch receiver.
- It also has an on/off power switch.
- Fertilizer and seed get stuck in it.
- The instruction guide is hard to understand.
6. Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
This spreader easily spreads seed and fertilizer with its 12-Volt DC motor. It has a rated speed of 570 rpm.that makes this product efficient and trustworthy. It is sealed for protection, is strong, durable, and can hold up to eighty pounds.
It can also carry eight pounds of grass seed, fertilizer, or small grain. The 12-inch broadcast ensures that the job will get done efficiently and the controls can be reached from the driver’s seat which makes the job easier on the person spreading the seed or fertilizer.
Attaching this spreader to an ATV, UTV, or utility tractor is a task that is not hard to do. It comes with a rain cover and has a one-year limited warranty.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It is a good quality for the money.
- It came calibrated.
- It came without some of the necessary washers and hex nuts.
- The fertilizer gets stuck in it.
5. Brinly Broadcast Spreader
This spreader has a very big hopper that holds up to 175 pounds (which means filling this spreader-less) and it is great for big yards that are an acre or more. It has a directional spread pattern control that ensures that the products are spread evenly and widely.
The gearbox is fully enclosed and made of stainless steel hardware. The shaft and agitator cuts down on the amount of downtime and stops corrosion from happening. This spreader is also fast, easy-to-use, and allows for very little waste even in yards that are very big.
It can be used in the spring and fall to spread seed and fertilizer, lime in the summertime, and ice melting agents in the winter.
- The small parts (washers, bolts, etc. were separated by group and matched up with each step of the assembly process.
- It comes with a great instruction booklet.
- This spreader is stable and can handle traveling over slopes and ground that is not even.
- The wheelbase needs to be a little wider so it will not be top heavy.
- The plastic wheels stop working after only a few uses.
4. Jonathan Green Go-Green Rotary Spreader
This fertilizer spreader has eight-inch poly wheels and self-lubricating nylon gears with a powder coated steel frame. It also has spreader settings and it comes fully assembled and ready-to-use.
The exciting design allows for easy and accurate applications of grass seed, fertilizers, bug killer, and ice melters. It can hold up to 10,000 square feet of material with an eight to ten-inch spread pattern. This unit is sturdy and makes spreading seed a very quick job.
The trigger operation works much smoother than the spreaders that have to be held down the whole time that they are being used.
- It can work on all kinds of surfaces from concrete to grass.
- It is lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- The bin is crooked.
- The right wheel does not move unless a lot of weight is put on it.
3. Agri-Fab Smartspreader Broadcast Spreader
The 130-pound hopper that comes with this spreader makes a quick job of spreading fertilizer on large lawns. It also has a durable rod linked on-off control with precise settings. The gearbox has tapered gears to spread fertilizer evenly and to ensure that the spreader lasts a long time.
The big tires are large in diameter and it also has a wide wheelbase to ensure that this spreader will work well on rocky terrain. Hopper covers, material deflectors, and hopper grates are also available for purchase for the people that own the spreader.
The aluminum beveled gear ensures that it is durable and the rustproof poly hopper and spreader plate make sure that this spreader will last a long time.
- It has a three-year warranty.
- The hopper is rust-proof.
- It comes with a well-written instruction guide.
- The handle of the hopper is really weak.
- It takes a long time to assemble.
2. Chapin 84150 Crank Spreader
This spreader has a 1.5 liter/ 92 cubic-inch capacity scoop spreader. It can be safely used to spread fertilizer, seeds, salt, and ice melt. It also has an easy crank design, is lightweight, is easy to keep clean and keep operational (it just needs to be sprayed with a hose) and it is ideal for small lawns.
No matter the weather or season, this spreader is ready for the elements and whatever weather heads your way. Chapin provides technical support through their customer service line or through their website.
It is also a very sturdy spreader and it gets the job done. It is also very easy to fill and can be used on lands up to a half-an-acre.
- It only clogs a little.
- The crank is not hard to turn.
- It never jams.
- It takes a long time to spread seed.
- It shoots salt in a wide berth and distributes it unevenly.
1. Scotts Mini Broadcast Spreader
This spreader has Scott’s exclusive edge guard technology that keeps seed and fertilizers off of areas that are not lawns. It works best with Scott’s products and can hold up to 5.000 feet of Scott’s lawn care products.
It comes calibrated, ready-to-use, and fully assembled. It can be used in any season to spread grass seed and fertilizer. This spreader also provides an even spreading of grass seed or fertilizer.
Along with spreading grass seed or fertilizer in a lawn, this spreader can also distribute ice melt on walkways and driveways. The precision rate settings control panel ensures accurate coverage.
- It does not need to be refilled a lot.
- It is easy to push.
- The settings change for what is coming out of the spreader (grass, fertilizer, etc.).
- It tends to get clogged.
- The wheels are way too small.
Which Fertilizer Spreader Should You Buy?
After reviewing all of these spreaders, I think the Jonathan Go Green Spreader is the best. I think it is great that it can hold up to 10,000 square feet and that it can be used right away. Another benefit of this spreader that I really like is it can be used to spread fertilizer, bug removal products, and ice melter.
It is also sturdy and well made and can be used on any kind of terrain. I highly recommend that if you are in need of a fertilizer spreader, that you purchase this spreader. It is definitely the best way to maneuver manure.