An umbrella may seem like a straightforward tool, but in fact, there are lots of considerations when choosing the perfect umbrella for your needs. Are you looking for an ultra compact umbrella that can fit into a small bag for commuting or when you go out in the evenings, or do you want a heavy duty and large umbrella to shield you and your dog while walking through inclement weather conditions?
Are you looking for an old-fashioned stylish umbrella that will look chic with your outfit on rainy days, or is your focus on practicality? You will have different needs in an umbrella if you are anticipating most of your rainy days being drizzly and low wind than if you are preparing for the high wind and intense rain of summer thunderstorms. If you intend to be walking in the rain in the evening, you may want an umbrella that offers reflectivity so that you can have an added layer of security to not be hit by traffic.
Umbrellas generally come in two types: compact or fixed shaft. Compact umbrellas are lightweight and smaller when fully compressed so that they can easily fit in a bag. Non-compact models are generally sturdier than compact models and are much less likely to be flipped inside out in the wind. These models are also the old-fashioned choice and will look more classic to most people. They are more likely to have real wood components and a high-quality construction.
Whatever umbrella you choose, make sure you consider your distinct needs as well as your color and style preferences and choose an umbrella that will provide the level of shelter as well as the right style for you. Think about where you will store your umbrella, not only in your home but also at your destination, and choose an umbrella that will be convenient for you to store.
Table of Contents
- 10. Automatic Compact Travel Umbrella with Reverse and Safe Lock
- 9. Transparent Clear Bubble Dome Umbrella for Wind and Heavy Rain 33”
- 8. Balios Prestige Travel Umbrella, Real Wood Handle, Auto Open & Close
- 7. NOOFORMER mini Travel sun&rain Umbrella – Light Compact P
- 6.totes Signature Clear Umbrella
- 5. BAGAIL Double Layer Inverted Umbrellas Reverse Folding Umbrella
- 4. Bodyguard Travel Umbrella,10 Ribs Finest Windproof Umbrella
- 3. Spar. Saa Double Layer Inverted Umbrella with C-Shaped Handle
- 2. Owen Kyne Windproof Double Layer Folding Inverted Umbrella
- 1. EEZ-Y Compact Travel Umbrella w/Windproof Double Canopy
- Which should you buy?
10. Automatic Compact Travel Umbrella with Reverse and Safe Lock
If you are looking for an affordable compact umbrella in your color choice that it will be easy to operate and store, this umbrella may be right for you. The operation is easy even with one hand due to the auto open and close button. Just touch the button to expand or collapse the umbrella. The underside of the canopy of this umbrella faces outward to hide the wet surface above and keep water from flowing downward.
This creates less dripping on your back. A safe lock shaft makes it easier for you to close the umbrella and enables a secure lock. Teflon technology repels water, snow, or whatever elements you face with a quick-drying design. At 11.8 in when compacted, this umbrella can easily fit into your bag.
- backed with a lifetime guarantee
- compact design will fit easily into any bag
- less drip design
- few color options to choose from
- not especially well reinforced for wind
If you are looking for a fun and stylish umbrella that you can see through, consider this playful transparent dome umbrella. Auto open makes this umbrella very easy to use while the full clear canopy allows you to see through the umbrella so that you will be able to walk safely even in heavy rain. Choose from a romantic pink flowery print, a charming cityscape, and practical clear for ultimate visibility.
- full transparency or choose from a fun design over a transparent background for higher visibility than traditional umbrellas
- auto open for ease-of-use
- easy to hold matching color hook handle
- won’t hold up to wind as well as better reinforced umbrellas
- clear plastic may become water spotted and unattractive with use
8. Balios Prestige Travel Umbrella, Real Wood Handle, Auto Open & Close
If you want an umbrella that combines some of the sophistication of a fixed shaft umbrella with the convenience of a compact umbrella, this Balios may be the right umbrella for you. The real wood handle feels good in your hand and looks classy, but the 12.6 in long design will allow you to conveniently keep this umbrella in your bag.
The intuitive one-click auto open design is easy to use. Balios umbrellas are designed in Britain for fashion sense along with functionality. The 300-thread count high-density fabric offers maximum protection from rain but dries very quickly so you won’t be dripping all over your destination.
- sophisticated design in a compact model
- real wood handle
- 300-thread count high-density fabric for great protection from rain
- wobbles in an unnerving way in high winds, but unlikely to actually give out
- offer sophistication, but does not look as elegant as a fixed shaft umbrella
7. NOOFORMER mini Travel sun&rain Umbrella – Light Compact P
If you are looking for an ultra-compact umbrella for a reasonable price under $15 that comes in a range of colors, this may be the right umbrella for you. A length of only 6.6 in will allow you to store this umbrella in whatever size bag you have handy, and the 7 Oz weight will not weigh you down.
This umbrella provides 95% protection from UV rays as well as providing protection from the rain. The company guarantees a full refund or replacement warranty for the lifetime of your umbrella.
- the ultra-compact umbrella is only 6.6 in when retracted
- the range of fun colors and patterns to choose from
- 7 oz weight is light and easy to carry
- not as sturdy as some competing umbrellas
- doesn’t always open properly
- won’t stay latched open
6.totes Signature Clear Umbrella
This fun umbrella offers a clear bubble canopy for ultimate see-through visibility for safety and dryness on your commute. You can also choose from several designs on the clear dome if you’d like. The acrylic handle is comfortable and features an elegant matte silver finish.
The dome-shaped canopy is extended further than competing umbrellas for the best protection from the elements. The company covers this umbrella with a lifetime warranty so you know this is a strong umbrella. For under $25, this is an umbrella that will stay with you for the long term.
- extended canopy for ultimate protection
- see-through visibility for safety
- backed by a lifetime warranty
- not as compact as competing models
- models with designs are not as charming as competing designs
5. BAGAIL Double Layer Inverted Umbrellas Reverse Folding Umbrella
If you are looking for an effective and stylish umbrella for under $25, this may be a great umbrella for you. The double layer protection offers 50 plus sunscreen fabric as well as rain protection. The c-shaped handle can be crossed over your arm for hands-free operation, so you can be protected from the rain even if your hands are full or when you are walking your dog.
The creative inside-out design of this umbrella prevents water from dripping. This umbrella is durable and windproof, utilizing double ribs to make it sturdier than competing umbrellas.
- durable windproof design
- double ribs
- stands on its own for easy storage
- the c-shaped handle can be uncomfortable for some people
- does not become as compact as some other models
4. Bodyguard Travel Umbrella,10 Ribs Finest Windproof Umbrella
This sturdy umbrella can collapse compactly and fit into a stylish included case. Quality material sets this umbrella apart, with Teflon coating that repels water and dries fast. 10 ribs fortify this frame. It has a premium fiberglass and high-quality stainless steel construction so that you can feel confident of this umbrella even in a wind.
It is easy to operate this umbrella even with one hand just by pushing the button once to automatically open and close. The long handle design of this umbrella makes it comfortable and easy to hold, while the easily collapsible design makes it portable and lightweight.
- stylish leather cover
- sturdy umbrella with 10 fortified ribs
- one-handed operation
- does not come in fun colors
- does not hold up to strong winds as well as competition
3. Spar. Saa Double Layer Inverted Umbrella with C-Shaped Handle
This fun umbrella comes in a wide range of colors and patterns to fit your personality. The double layer enables a unique reverse opening and folding design. You can fold the wet layer that has been exposed to the rain underneath the dry layer so that you won’t drip on your destination.
The frosted c-shaped handle grip is comfortable and makes it easy for you to cross it over your arm for hands-free operation. The smooth top features 8 steel ribs that become eight legs when you can close the umbrella so it can stand up on its own when closed.
- convenient drip-free design
- a range of fun colors and patterns to choose from
- C shaped handle for hands-free operation
- not as compact as some models
- some people may find the c-shaped handle uncomfortable
2. Owen Kyne Windproof Double Layer Folding Inverted Umbrella
This durable umbrella comes in an incredible range of stylish colors and designs so that you can find one that will fit your personality perfectly. The pongee fabric that this umbrella is made of is both waterproof and Light, featuring a breathable double layer canopy and a smooth top. The stainless steel frame is of the highest quality so that this umbrella can withstand strong winds.
An inside-out design allows you to open the umbrella easily as you get out of a car without getting wet and also enables the west side of the umbrella to become inside when closed so that you won’t drip on the floor when you close the umbrella or store it. You can store this umbrella standing so that you won’t need an umbrella stand or somewhere to hang it. These umbrellas sold by Owen Kyne offer a one-year warranty.
- lightweight and durable
- a wide range of fun colors to choose from
- inverted umbrella allows for drip-free and self-standing storage
- at around $24, this is on the expensive side of standard umbrellas
- will not collapse as small as competition to fit in your bag
These attractive and straightforward durable umbrellas can go anywhere with you and will look good as it shelters you from even strong wind and rain. The vented double canopy construction enables the wind to pass through the vents so that the umbrella won’t flip over or be difficult to control even in strong winds.
The stainless steel and fiberglass construction is high-quality so that you can feel confident that the design will work for the long term. This umbrella is lightweight enough to go anywhere with you and foldable to only 11 in so that it is compact enough to fit into any bag. these umbrellas are designed for easy one-handed operation to open and close.
- vented double canopy allows wind to pass through without you getting wet, for a comfortable walk even in heavy winds and rain
- durable stainless steel and fiberglass construction
- lightweight and foldable to 11 in
- comes in a range of colors but not patterns
- at around $24 it is on the higher cost threshold for portable umbrellas
Which should you buy?
The EEZ-Y Compact Travel Umbrella w/Windproof Double Canopy Construction is constructed in an innovative and thoughtful way that will give you the most comfortable protection from the wind and rain but is lightweight enough and portable enough to go anywhere with you so that you can also use it for shelter on a sunny day.
This umbrella will be your constant companion no matter the weather conditions, and the durable construction will allow it to last through many storms with you. Choose from a range of fun colors to find an umbrella that will be customized for your style.