Solder guns are versatile tools that allow you to join a wide variety of metal surfaces and joints. Whether you have electrical work to do, want to connect metal pieces, or want to melt glass, a solder gun can be the right tool for the job. What makes the top solder gun?
Solder guns are more powerful than solder irons, but they can be more difficult to control as well and may produce too much heat for small projects. Soldering guns utilize a loop-shaped tip made by copper wire to let you get into small spaces. A solder gun should heat up quickly so it is ready to work within minutes. It will cool down quickly as well, so you can store it and be on your way.
Solder guns require some regular maintenance like replacing the copper wire as it dissolves. The best copper wire might last longer but will still need to be replaced. Solder guns tend to be large and bulky, and may strain your arms with constant use and may also be too clumsy for delicate work.
You can choose between electric and battery depending on whether you value portable use or continuous use more highly. Some guns come with convenient carrying cases, so if you intend to use your solder gun on the go this may be a consideration for you.
Carefully consider the wattage in the soldering gun that you choose. Low wattage guns are better for fine finesse work like engraving, while higher wattage guns are better for heavy duty work. Some guns come with adjustable intensity so you can choose the right power for your job.
Make a list of all the projects in which you would like to use your solder gun to choose the gun that will be able to accomplish everything you need from it.
Table of Contents
- 10. 100W 5pc Soldering Gun Kit: Cutter:Flux: Solder
- 9. Performance Tool W2019A Universal Heavy Duty Soldering Gun Kit
- 8. Soldertek Soldering Kit, Small Portable Electric 60W Soldering Iron Kit
- 7. Wall Lenk LG400C 400/150 Heavy Duty Watt Soldering Gun
- 6. Craftsman Solder Gun, 150/230 watt
- 5. Weller 9400PKS 120V Dual Heat 140/100W Universal Soldering Gun Kit
- 3. Weller D550PK 120-volt 260/200-watt Professional Soldering Gun Kit
- 2. Weller 8200PKS 120-volt 140/100-watt Universal Soldering Gun Kit
- 1. Weller D650 Industrial Soldering Gun
- Which should you buy?
10. 100W 5pc Soldering Gun Kit: Cutter:Flux: Solder
If you want everything you need to get soldering for a very affordable price under $20, this might be the kit for you. The molded case holds your tools securely in place while the carrying handle makes transport easy. This gun comes with two additional tips so you won’t be left stranded when your copper wire dissolves. This electric model won’t ever run out of power.
- Very affordable at under $20
- The molded case carries a gun and accessories
- Additional tips
- Electric model limits transport
- Needs new tips to be functional
- Body might melt
9. Performance Tool W2019A Universal Heavy Duty Soldering Gun Kit
This effective little gun is wonderful for use on a home or office applications as well as on your car or boat. An extra tip is included so you will be ready to get soldering. This gun heats up rapidly utilizing 85 watts. A built-in spotlight lets you see where you are soldering. Extra soldering wire is included so you can easily add more as needed.
- Extra tip included
- Extra wire included
- Heats up rapidly using 85 watts of power
- Built-in spotlight
- Copper wire burns out rapidly
- Tips may go bad
8. Soldertek Soldering Kit, Small Portable Electric 60W Soldering Iron Kit
This convenient kit comes with everything you will need to get soldering. A built-in variable thermostat lets you set the solder gun between 200 °c – 450 °c for specified soldering. Whether you want to fix electric systems, small electronics, or burn aluminum or wood decoratively, this soldering gun has you covered. This gun heats rapidly using 60 watts of power and offers even heat distribution.
- Ergonomic soft grip handle for long-term use
- The full starter kit comes with everything you need
- Handles small soldering jobs and engraving better than most solder guns
- No off switch so if it is plugged in it gets hot
- Not as good for higher power jobs
7. Wall Lenk LG400C 400/150 Heavy Duty Watt Soldering Gun
This powerful gun offers two wattage choices so you can choose your intensity. This soldering gun can achieve temperatures of over 1000 degrees Fahrenheit for sustained, high-intensity soldering. It is easy to control this soldering gun and it responds instantly to every adjustment. A built-in work light illuminates your work area.
- Dual 400/150 wattage
- High temps of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit achievable
- Easy to control trigger heat
- Expensive to replace element cartridge
- The trigger has a lot of resistance to your finger tires out
6. Craftsman Solder Gun, 150/230 watt
This durable solder gun is made of a sturdy nickel-plated steel. This soldering gun can deliver from 150 to 230 watts so you can use it for whatever project you like. This soldering gun is made to shape and cut plastics, as well as work with heavy electrical connections, light metals, and plastics. This soldering gun can also make beautiful stained glass windows.
- Durable nickel plated steel
- Ranges from 150 to 230 watts
- Can cut and shape plastics and shape glass
- Maybe too powerful for lighter work
- A little bit heavy and bulky
5. Weller 9400PKS 120V Dual Heat 140/100W Universal Soldering Gun Kit
Weller is a well-known name in soldering guns. This is one of their lighter, more affordable names, coming in at under $40 for a very high-quality little gun. This soldering gun heats up in six seconds so you will not be left waiting for your gun to be ready to work. Three LEDs are built in to spotlight your project without tip shadow.
- Two trigger positions to control power from medium to 900 degrees Fahrenheit
- Co-molded pistol grip with non-slip grip and ergonomic feel that will have you working for hours without fatigue
- 7-year warranty from a trusted company
- The cord that comes with it is stiff
- No significant improvements have been made in this gun in many years
4. Weller 8200 Universal Soldering Gun
This heat produces 140 watts or 100 watts for versatile use. The pistol grip design is ergonomic and allows for continuous operation. Use the finger grip to choose the heat the gun delivers. This high-efficiency tip is tin plated copper for added durability and heats up in six seconds. A light illuminates your work.
- Handle trigger to choose between 140 and 100 watts
- High-efficiency tip made of tin plated copper
- Seven-year warranty
- Doesn’t come with a case
- Better for larger soldering jobs, not as good for finesse work
3. Weller D550PK 120-volt 260/200-watt Professional Soldering Gun Kit
If you know you want the high-quality Weller name but want the convenience of a kit, this is the buy for you. This dual heat gun can produce 260 or 200 watts of heat and is ready to go in six seconds. This kit comes with three tips, a flux brush, and a molded case so that you will have everything you need to use, travel with, and store this gun.
- Comes with everything you need to get to soldering
- Convenient molded carrying case
- Seven-year warranty
- The case should be all molded instead of having a clear piece that may come off and get lost
- The case will melt easily if the gun is not completely cool
2. Weller 8200PKS 120-volt 140/100-watt Universal Soldering Gun Kit
This extremely versatile tool can help you with all kinds of household, automotive, and maritime chores. Choose between 140 watts and 100 watts to deliver exactly the heat that you need. The pistol grip design is comfortable and ergonomic to use and the trigger is used to determine the heat level. A light illuminates your workspace.
- Versatile wattage good for many jobs
- Ergonomic pistol grip
- 7-year warranty
- Comes with case
- The trigger should have lock position for extended use
- Doesn’t have LED
1. Weller D650 Industrial Soldering Gun
This powerful soldering gun packs as much power as the non-professional user will need, and this gun can hold up to professional uses with grace as well. Choose between 200 and 300 watts to get just the heat you need. Heat resistant-thermoplastic housing is durable, as is the heavy-duty grounded cord.
- Trigger choose between 200 and 300 watts
- 7-year warranty
- Powerful gun
- Doesn’t come with a case
- Too powerful for smaller applications
Which should you buy?
If you are in the market for a soldering gun, you are likely looking for a powerful gun, and the Weller D650 Industrial Soldering Gun can deliver, with 200 or 300 watts dual powerful. This efficient gun heats up quickly and delivers specified power using a sighted guide. The thermoplastic housing is heat resistant and durable enough to stand up to years of regular soldering.
The heavy-duty grounded cord won’t give out soon either and gives you enough distance to use this gun wherever you need to. A seven-year warranty can give you confidence that this is a good buying decision, and you can trust that the well known Weller brand will deliver on its product and its warranty.