Whether you are a shoe enthusiast who can’t help buying a new pair every week and owns hundreds of pairs or an average person with shoes for half a dozen different occasions, you need somewhere to store your shoes when you aren’t wearing them.
The Benefits of Shoe Racks
Before we share the top 10 best shoe racks on the market, let’s discuss the benefits of these units so you can appreciate the real reason for purchasing one.
Shoes stored without an organizational system have a tendency to get mixed up so you can’t ever find your shoe’s partner. Shoes kept in this way are more likely to become damaged or scuffed in your closet or living space.
If you have very many shoes to store, you will want an organizational system that makes it very easy for you to find the shoes you want. If you take joy in your shoes and choosing just the perfect pair for each outfit, you will want your shoes displayed so you can see all of them easily. If you know your shoes and just want somewhere to put them between uses, you can get away with a much smaller and more compact shoe rack.
Enhance Shoe’s Lifespan
Another benefit of shoe racks is improving your shoe’s lifespan so that they don’t become worn or damaged when thrown in your wardrobe. Shoe racks prevent dust and pollution from ruining your footwear so you can wear them for many years to come.
By keeping them organized and in the correct position, they won’t have heavy objects on top of them which can cause them to change shape and the materials to flatten.
Simplify Your Routine
It can be frustrating to find the perfect outfit for an occasion and then to top it off, you have to discover shoes that will fit your attire. By having your footwear on display, you can see your choices right before your eyes, which makes completing your look much easier and stress-free.
Enhance Your Home’s Design
There are many different shoe racks you can purchase from plastic to oak shelves. This wide range of designs and materials means that everyone can create a custom look that suits their home’s interior.
They’re built to last and can add interest to a living space that has very little furniture in it. Depending on the size you purchase, some racks can provide more storage space for other accessories like coats, handbags, and umbrellas to hide your belongings from visitors.
Factors To Consider When Buying Shoe Racks
With so many designs and storage ideas, it might be difficult choosing the best shoe racks for your needs. Fortunately, below is a guide to follow to assist you throughout your search.
Where To Place The Shoe Rack
Do you ask that family and visitors remove their shoes in the home, or do people generally wear shoes in your home? If your family stores shoes in their bedrooms, you will have different needs for shoe storage than a family that encourages guests to remove their shoes in the entrance area.
If you are storing shoes in your bedroom or other private space, you may not need an attractive shoe rack, but if you are storing shoes in a living area you may want a stylish shoe rack or one that hides shoes behind a visual barrier.
For this decision, you’ll need to consider the amount of space you have in your home as you don’t want a shoe rack in your living room or taking up space in an inconvenient part of your home.
Number of Shoes You Own
Carefully consider the number of shoes you have to store, whether you want your family to store shoes in their bedrooms or in the living space, and what your mobility limitations and style preferences are in order to choose the perfect shoe rack for your needs.
If you wish to share the shoe rack with your family, you’ll need to compromise with a position that’s convenient and easy to access for everyone. The landing or the hallway are ideal places as this is where individuals will cross paths every day.
If you intend to share one large shoe rack among the family, you’ll need an organized strategy that keeps everyone’s shoes together. For example, one the smallest person should have their shoes on the bottom row, and so forth.
Depending on the materials you purchase, most shoe racks require little maintenance, which will save you a lot more time than sorting out your footwear every few weeks.
For the easiest maintenance, opt for genuine wood, as this doesn’t require any special treatment. Also, choose a shoe rack with doors or drawers to prevent any dust and debris landing in your shoes to keep them in tip-top condition.
The Top 10 Best Shoe Racks To Buy
Now that you’re aware of the benefits of shoe racks and some important factors to consider throughout your search, we’ve searched the Internet for the best products for your money.
10. SONGMICS Black Shoe Rack Bench,3-Tier Shoe Organizer
This table bench style shoe rack is made of 100% natural bamboo plank with attractive stripe patterns. This is an extremely stable shoe rack that can hold up to 264 lb. The bamboo wood material is not only attractive and natural but also renewable so you can feel good about your decision to buy this material.
A damp proof coating makes this rack easy to clean while the smooth edges and sunken screws make sure you won’t snag against it as you walk by. This is the perfect rack for an entryway for accommodating up to four pairs of shoes as well as whatever else you would like to put on the surface.
- attractive and renewable bamboo construction
- damp proof coating for easy cleaning
- snag proof design makes it perfect for an entryway
- does not hold very many shoes
- more functional as a storage bench than a shoe rack
9. Whitmor Natural Wood Household Shelves – 2-Tier – Shoe Rack
This simple good looking shoe rack comes at an affordable price and fits perfectly in an average closet under the hanging clothes. If you have only a few shoes to store and want them to be visible to you, this is a great little shoe rack for you. The slim and compact design makes the most of the space and is easy to assemble. The solid pine construction is sturdy and attractive as well as being natural, and could be painted for a customized shoe rack if desired.
- solid natural pine
- slim and compact design fits perfectly in your closet
- easy assembly with no tools required
- not room for many shoes
- hanging clothes will touch the top of shoes
8. 10 Tiers Shoe Rack with Dustproof Cover Closet Shoe Storage Cabinet
This spacious shoe rack is made of durable non woven fabric, high-quality steel tube, and plastic connectors. This high-quality design will provide you with an organizational system for the long term that is relatively portable and light.
This rack can store up to 45 pairs of shoes so that all your shoes will be well organized and visible just by opening the rack. A zippered cover keeps your shoes safe from dust and also blocks them from view when you do not want to choose shoes.
- optional functionality by removing a layer for high boots or other accessories
- zippered cover for dust proof storage
- comes in multiple colors to customize your look
- the zipper may give out before shoe rack does
- may not look high quality in your space
7. SONGMICS 5 Tiers Shoe Rack Space Saving Shoe Tower Cabinet Storage
This is a sturdy and durable shoe rack that is made from iron pipes, high-quality PP connectors, and nonwoven fabric tiers that are waterproof for long-lasting performance. You can store up to 25 pairs of shoes in this spacious shoe rack.
This unit can easily be snapped together for effortless assembly. You can choose between a two or three tier rack, or stack two 5 tier racks into a 10 tier rack. This versatility means that you can choose to expand your shoe rack later on as your collection grows.
- light and durable construction
- customize to two or three-tier rack or stack two units
- expand your shoe rack as your collection grows
- not a particularly attractive design
- not very stable when stacked double
6. ClosetMaid 8993 Stackable 24-Inch Wide Horizontal Organizer
This is a straightforward little shoe rack looks good in or out of the closet. It can fit up to two pairs of adult shoes on each Shelf and, so you can fit 4 pairs of shoes without using the top shelf so there is a layer of protection between the bottom of your hanging clothes in the top of the shoes.
If you would rather use the top shelf as well you can fit up to 6 pairs of shoes and this little organizer. It is designed to work with other organizational units from ClosetMaid so that you can stack the perfect organizational system for you.
- straightforward attractive design
- three colors to choose from
- works with other ClosetMaid stackable products
- does not store very many shoes by itself and the cost will wrap up when buying more units
- laminated wood, not real wood
5. Whitmor 4 Tier Floor Shoe Rack – 20 Pair – Storage Organizer
This straightforward little shoe rack is affordable enough that you can buy as many as you need for your entire household. This four tier rack can hold up to 20 pairs of shoes in a lightweight and open design that will allow dirt from your shoes to fall down, keeping the rack clean.
The extremely compact design is thin enough to fit in an entryway or in the closet under your hanging clothes. It is easy to assemble with no tools and is constructed of a durable resin and epoxy coated steel which will last for years.
- the durable construction of resin and epoxy coated steel
- affordable enough to buy as many as you need for the whole household
- stores up to 20 pairs of shoes in a lightweight and compact design
- the industrial appearance will not look good with all decor
- lets dirt fall down onto shoes below
4. Simple Houseware Entryway Storage Bench
This attractive little shoe rack is best for entryways or other places where shoes would be stored publicly. The two tiers store up to six pairs of shoes. The comfy cushion seat is attractively covered with faux leather and is the perfect place to sit and put on or take off your shoes when you get home or before you leave. This is the perfect bench for an entryway to store your shoes and also provide a comfortable place to put them on or take them off.
- stylish faux leather cushion
- sturdy metal frame construction with a classic bronze coating
- two tiers of shoe rack that store up to six pairs of shoes
- shoes are irritating to access while sitting on the bench
- faux leather may look cheap to some people
3. Whitmor 10 Tier Shoe Tower – 50 Pair – Rolling Shoe Rack
If you are looking for the ultimate storage for your shoe collection, look no further than this free standing chrome shoe rack. The wheels roll smoothly so that you can move the shoe rack around in your space and are lockable so that you can safely position your shoe rack and lock it in place.
10 tiers of bars are designed to hold up to 50 pairs of shoes securely in place without slipping while you roll the rack around. If you would rather remove the wheels, you can do so and have the bottom rack sit on the floor for a stationary unit. The heavy-duty construction of this shoe rack will look good for years to come.
- heavy duty metal construction for durability
- choose between rolling and stationary
- 10 tiers hold up to 50 pairs of shoes securely
- industrial design will not look good in all spaces
- no spaces for taller shoes like boots or accessories
2. Homebi 4-Tier Shoe Rack Metal Shoe Tower 20-Pair Shoe Storage
This durable shoe rack is made of powder-coated metal tubes and high-quality plastic. The 13.2 mm diameter of the tube enables the shoe rack to hold a heavier load than competing shoe racks. There is room on the 4 tiers for 20 pairs of shoes.
The open top shelf is perfect for tall shoes like boots. You can keep with the 4 tier or order two to create an 8 tier rack. Such versatility will allow this rack to meet your needs for years to come, even if you increase your shoe collection.
- versatility in the ability to add to the design for more or fewer shoes
- quick and easy assembly
- attractive enough appearance for the closet or the entryway
- not as stable when stacked into tiers
- allows dirt to fall through onto other shoes
1. ClosetMaid 8983 Stackable 15-Unit Organizer
This stackable organizer will allow you to customize your closet or other space. This is a great unit for organizing not only your shoes but other household items and accessories like hats. The individual units for each pair of shoes or other accessory mean that your shoes will never drop dirt down on your other shoes or accessories, for a cleaner shoe rack than other designs.
This unit is easy to assemble with a hammer and screwdriver and it can be combined with other stackable units for complete storage customization.
- compatible with other ClosetMaid stackable units for complete customization
- individual compartments do not allow shoes to drop dirt on each other
- choose your color for a good look no matter what room of your house you use it in
- laminated wood is not as strong as real wood and will not hold up to moisture
- more assembly required than with other units
Which should you buy?
Whether you have a lot of shoes and accessories to store or only a few, the ClosetMaid 8983 Stackable 15-Unit Organizer can give you the organization you need. You can combine this organizer with other ClosetMaid stackable units so that you can have exactly the right storage you need even as you expand your collection of shoes or accessories.
Individual shelving units make this storage cleaner than other shoe storage that allows shoes to drop dirt on each other. Individual units also make shoes look attractive in their individual compartments. This unit comes in a variety of colors to customize your look.