There are all kinds of tools out there to help apply makeup. From airbrushes to fingers (hopefully freshly washed), everyone has their own way of going about it. However, makeup brushes are one of the most popular was to apply makeup and for good reason. You want the top makeup brush for your money.
They are easy to clean, making them more hygienic, mess-free, and cost-effective. Choosing the right one for you can depend on a few things, though. One is your skill level. Some brushes are better for beginners or might even come with an instructional booklet. Others, however, might be better suited for professionals.
Additionally, you will need to consider what brushes and level of precision you will need. Some might never need a lip brush while others never contour. Your routine is another important bit to consider. Moreover, we know that our makeup is already expensive enough without having to pay a high cost for the brushes, too, which is why each of the brushes you’ll find below are under $20. What a steal!
Take a look at the top 10 makeup brushes below and don’t forget to keep your needs in mind!
Table of Contents
- 10. Anjou Makeup Brush Set, 16 pieces
- 9. BS-MALL Premium Synthetic Makeup Brushes
- 8. USpicy Professional Makeup Brush Set, 32 pieces
- 7. UNIMEIX Makeup Brushes, 15 pieces
- 6. BESTOPE Makeup Brushes, 16 pieces
- 5. MYSWEETY Makeup Brush Set, 14 pieces
- 4. Qivange Cosmetic Brush Set, 15 pieces
- 3. Webueat Makeup Brushes, 11 pieces
- 2. L Cosmetic Makeup Brushes, 15 pieces
- 1. Yoseng Makeup Brushes, 10 pieces
- So which set should you choose?
10. Anjou Makeup Brush Set, 16 pieces
These brushes are great not only for beginners but for professionals as well. The brushes don’t shed and are made from cruelty-free synthetic fibers. The brushes come with a travel case for easy packing and protection. They also come in three chic colors- rose gold, wine red, and white to match any style.
- Under $20
- Won’t shed
- Brushes for every application
- The comb on the eyebrow brush is plastic, instead of metal
- Must wash before use to rid them of a slight smell
- There may be brushes you won’t use
The BS-MALL brushes are a 14 piece set that has a thicker handle for easier use, synthetic bristles that don’t shed. They are soft, yet still dense for smooth application.
Additionally, they have a wooden handle for comfort. It comes with 5 large brushes as well as 9 precision brushes for all your makeup needs. These would be a perfect first brush set for an aspiring makeup artist.
- Wooden handle
- Thick handle
- Doesn’t include an eyelash comb
- Doesn’t come with a case
- Only come in one color
These USpicy makeup brushes have long handles for more control, thick synthetic fibers for better blending. The bristles are easy to clean which provides a deeper clean leading to less chance of skin irritation. This set has 32 pieces but comes with a case to keep them all in one place.
- Comes with a case
- 32 pieces for any application
- Super soft bristles
- Come with a smell that can be washed out
- Doesn’t come with a foundation brush, pencil brush or a blending brush
- Some reviews state that powdered products don’t stick to the brush and fall off when tapped
7. UNIMEIX Makeup Brushes, 15 pieces
The UNIMEIX makeup brushes come in a 15 piece set with a marble and gold finish that is super stylish. They are streak free and can be stood up on a desk to eliminate contact with non-hygienic surfaces.
Designed with both professionals and amateurs in mind, the synthetic bristles won’t drop the product and are easy to clean.
- Easy to clean
- No carrying case
- Does not come in different colors
- Gold pieces on the end come off after awhile
6. BESTOPE Makeup Brushes, 16 pieces
The BESTOPE makeup brushes come with 5 kabuki and 11 precision brushes perfect for doing your whole face. They are made with synthetic fibers that are dense enough to hold creams, liquids, and powders without shedding or absorbing all your makeup.
They are perfect for both beginners and professionals and come with a 1-year warranty.
- 1-year warranty
- Wood handle for grip
- No shedding
- Does not come with a case
- Some smell upon arrival
- Requires frequent cleaning
5. MYSWEETY Makeup Brush Set, 14 pieces
These colorful MYSWEETY brushes come in pretty colors to match your high fashion attitude. They offer a money back guarantee if your not satisfied and even come with 2 silicone makeup sponges, a makeup wash egg and a bag to keep everything in one place.
The synthetic fibers create a streak-free airbrush finish. This set is perfect for beginners just starting out.
- Cute colors
- Includes accessories and a bag
- Money back guarantee
- Some buyers have reported that they’re not dense enough
- Some have glued brushes back together after two uses
- No tiny precision brushes
4. Qivange Cosmetic Brush Set, 15 pieces
These brushes are designed for both professional and amateurs in mind. They are portable with the included carrying case and include brushes for all your application needs.
It even comes with a brochure telling you how to properly use each brush which is a nice perk for those just starting out. The synthetic bristles are cruelty-free, soft and dense for smooth application as well.
- Includes a carrying case
- At under $10, it is one of the most cost-effective on the list
- Comes with a smell (easily washes away)
- Some reviews claim that some bristles come out after washing
- Some pigments will stain the brush even after washing
3. Webueat Makeup Brushes, 11 pieces
These brushes made with synthetic fibers are both super cute and practical for professional or home use. Each brush is assembled and packaged by hand to ensure quality in the design.
The high-density bristles prevent shedding and allow for a smooth finish. This 11 piece set is sure to make you the envy of all your friends.
- No shedding
- Comes with a beauty blender
- Fun design
- No eyebrow or eyelash brush
- No carrying case
- Only 11 pcs
2. L Cosmetic Makeup Brushes, 15 pieces
This set of brushes is a little on the pricier side of our list, but it not only comes with 15 brushes, but a beauty blender, brush silicone cleaning pad, and a carrying case as well. They have cruelty free synthetic fibers and a wooden handle for comfort and grip.
The best part about this set is actually the case which can be folded to become a stand for easy access as shown in the picture. Overall, this is a fantastic set that can be used both professionally or as a beginner set.
- Comes with nice accessories
- The case has additional features
- Doesn’t comes with an eyebrow/eyelash brush
- No list of brush names or how to use them
1. Yoseng Makeup Brushes, 10 pieces
These brushes by Yoseng are not your typical makeup brushes. They are what is called toothbrush shape which some beauty experts swear by. With synthetic, dense bristles, these brushes hold product well and blend beautifully.
Though these would be more suited for a veteran in the beauty world or professional makeup artist, some reviewers say they are easy to use regardless of experience.
- Toothbrush shape
- Comes in 5 colors
- Comes with a box and instructions on how to use each brush
- Have to trim some of the fibers sometimes
- Plastic handle
- Doesn’t come with an eyebrow/eyelash brush
So which set should you choose?
Your perfect makeup brush set will depend on your specific needs, but for a versatile and well-rounded set, we like L Cosmetic’s 15 piece set since it comes with a multi-functional case, a cleaning pad and a beauty blender.
Makeup brushes can get a bad reputation for holding too much product, but not all of them do and since they are so easy to clean, they’re one of the most hygienic solutions to your application problems. No matter your needs, there’s a set here for you. Happy shopping!