The bowl that your canine companion eats from every day is an important part of her care. A dog bowl that is not able to grip and resist your dog pushing it around will become messy and get lodged under counters and tables. Keep your friend happy with the top dog bowl. A bowl that can be easily flipped over will make a mess with kibble spread across the floor. If your dog is of a large breed or has neck or back problems, it is extremely important that she eat from a dog bowl that is elevated to prevent back and neck problems from bending down and to help prevent the development of bloat.
You don’t just want a dog bowl that is functional, you want a bowl that fits your lifestyle, stylistic needs, and the personality of your dog. Some dog bowls are customizable with your pet’s name, and elevated food bowls can be adjustable or made of a classy wood or wrought iron construction that will look elegant in your kitchen. You can also get dog bowls that are collapsible so that you can easily travel with your food bowls or feed your dog on the go.
Choosing The Best Bowl For Your Dog
Who’d have thought choosing a food bowl for your dog would be so confusing? With a wide range of options, refining your search can be difficult, but we’re here to help you discover the best bowl for your furry friend.
Plastic bowls are the most popular choice and tend to come in different colors, sizes, and shapes. They’re cheap and durable so if you drop them, they won’t break. One disadvantage of this material is that your dog can easily chew or scratch the bowl, meaning bacteria can easily build up on the surface. Not all pet owners know that dogs can develop an allergy plastic, which doesn’t make them the healthiest option for meal times.
Ceramic bowls are more expensive and have a stylish appearance. They often come with fun designs and allow you to express your creativity through a bowl. One disadvantage is that they can easily break should you drop it. Once cracks develop, it’s best to replace the dog bowl with a new one to limit bacteria forming.
Finally, stainless bowls are becoming a popular purchase for pet owners as they have many benefits to them. They’re durable, dishwasher-safe and have a non-skin base to prevent spillages. Though they’re inexpensive to buy, you still need to maintain them to keep them in tip-top condition or they can become rusty and develop stains. You should avoid this material if your dog tends to chew on their bowl as the stainless steel could damage their teeth.
If you like to take your pet on journeys with you, perhaps to the park or visiting a relative, a travel bowl is a perfect way to transport food and water along with you. These portable designs are easily foldable and a compact size so you can store in your bag when you’re not using them. Most are designed with polyester, although more expensive travel bowls feature rigid materials.
Some bowls offer a maze-like design that will allow your dog to take more time with her eating and think about what she is doing while she eats. If you are dog tends to wolf down her food so quickly that she chokes, or if she is overweight and finishes her diet portion so quickly that you feel sorry for her, these bowls will slow eating and make the feeding process more interesting.
These are becoming increasingly popular for pet owners as they prevent the bowls being on the floor. By elevating the food and drink bowls, this will reduce any neck pain and discomfort from leaning down – a particularly important factor for large breeds.
Some experts say that eating at a low level can cause gastrointestinal problems, and aging dogs shouldn’t have to reach down. Elevated bowls benefit humans too as you don’t need to bend down far to collect their bowls, and there will be less spillages on floor.
The Top 10 Best Dog Bowls To Buy
If your dog needs to free feed because she is underweight or a finicky eater, an automatically refilling bowl that will always be full for her may be the right choice for you. Whatever the needs of you and your dog, you can find a high-quality dog bowl that will be perfect for you.
Table of Contents
- Choosing The Best Bowl For Your Dog
- The Top 10 Best Dog Bowls To Buy
- 10. AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
- 9. GPET Personalized Dog Bowl –Customizable Pet Name 3D Print Design
- 8. Loving Pets Black Label Collection Layton Diner for Dogs
- 7.PetSafe Healthy Pet Gravity Dog and Cat Food Station
- 6. NEATER PET BRANDS Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog (All Sizes)
- 5. FOREYY Raised Pet bowls for Cats and Dogs – Bamboo
- 4. COMSUN Collapsible Dog Bowl, Food Grade Silicone BPA Free
- 3. Pet Zone Designer Diner Adjustable Elevated Pet Feeder
- 2. Vivaglory Dog Bowls Stainless Steel Water and Food Feeder
- 1. Outward Hound Fun Feeder Slow Feed Interactive Bloat Stop Dog Bowl
- Which should you buy?
10. AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
If you want a straightforward dog bowl that will last for years while offering a slip-free and spill proof design, consider these quality stainless steel dog bowls by amazon basics. This two-pack of stainless steel bowls hold up to 32 oz each so that this bowl will last your dog from puppyhood & on. The stainless steel design is rust resistant and is a healthy alternative to plastic that won’t hold odors.
The design of these bowls is slanted upwards from the bottom so that the bowls will not tip even if your dog is an enthusiastic eater. The rubber base provides a slip-free design so your dog won’t send this bowl all over your floor.
- dishwasher safe for ease of cleaning
- slip free design will stay in place on your floor
- stainless steel design is rust resistant
- height is not adjustable
- rubber grip will degrade in the dishwasher or if left out in the sun
9. GPET Personalized Dog Bowl –Customizable Pet Name 3D Print Design
Your dog is your best friend, and you want a dog bowl that is customized to her unique personality. These personalized bowls will allow you to customize your bowl with your pet’s name for up to eight characters of capital letters. You can choose from 5 colors including pink, blue, black, red, and purple and three separate fonts so that your bowl will be as personalized as possible.
The stainless steel construction of these bowls will resist rust and hold up to 32 oz so they will last from puppyhood & beyond. These bowls are dishwasher safe and odor-free for your convenience, and the rubber base will prevent spills.
- fun customized pet bowl
- choose from 5 colors and 3 fonts
- stainless steel construction is rust resistant
- lettering and rubber base will degrade in time in the dishwasher or in the sun
- height is not adjustable
- only capital letters
8. Loving Pets Black Label Collection Layton Diner for Dogs
This classy dog bowl set by Loving Pets will feed your pet and hold the bowls in place and slightly elevated while looking classy. The slightly elevated base puts less pressure on your dog’s neck and will deter insects. The bowls are stainless steel to resist rust and bacteria. These bowls can easily be lifted out of the base for cleanup and to be washed in the dishwasher. Each bowl holds about one quart of food so it is best suited for medium-sized or small dogs.
- elegant, sophisticated design
- stainless steel bowls resist rust, odors, and bacteria
- bowls easily lift out of holder for dishwasher cleaning
- height is not adjustable
- only suitable for smaller dogs
- the base is not stainless steel and may rust over time
7.PetSafe Healthy Pet Gravity Dog and Cat Food Station
If you have a dog that is underweight or a finicky eater, you may find it helpful to leave out food for her all of the time. You may worry that she will finish her bowl and have nothing left before you come back, but if you give her a larger bowl then food may become stale. This free feeding design allows enough food for your dog to eat comfortably for an extended time while not allowing the food to become stale. Up to 2 pounds of food will be available to your dog at any time in the sturdy BPA-free plastic hopper. The bowl is stainless steel so it is hygienic and won’t rust
- easy to clean by dissembling and putting stainless steel bowl in the dishwasher
- sturdy BPA-free plastic design
- holds up to 2 pounds of food at a time for free feeding
- the design is not able to be elevated so not a good fit for large pets and may be accessible by insects
- not a very attractive design for your kitchen
6. NEATER PET BRANDS Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog (All Sizes)
If your dog is a messy eater or a slobbery drinker, this Neater pet feeder may be right for you. This bowl is designed for mess-free feeding with the raised border that prevents your dog from slopping food out of the bowl or throwing water from her chops while she is drinking. The raised design of this tray will prevent damage to your floors and help prevent insects from finding the food bowls.
The bottom tray is perfect for collecting spilled water so that it does not end up on your floors. This convenient feeder comes in several sizes and colors so that you can customize it to your dog.
- elevated platform will protect food from insects
- the plastic backdrop will prevent your dog from scattering food or water
- bottom tray for spilled water
- height is not adjustable so not as good for taller pets
- not a very attractive design no matter which color you choose
5. FOREYY Raised Pet bowls for Cats and Dogs – Bamboo
These elegantly raised feeders will look great in your space while feeding your pet at the exact height that is right for her. Choose between 4 inch, 7 inch, and 10-inch heights, each with slightly larger bowls to fit your pet. The bamboo and stainless steel construction of these stands are water resistant. The legs of the feeders are fitted with anti-slip feet to keep your pet from sliding the feeder around and to protect your floors.
- attractive bamboo and stainless steel bowl design is water resistant
- elevated feeding is better for your pet and will deter insects
- three sizes with increasingly larger bowls to fit your pet’s size
- bowls are not adjustable so you will have to choose the height for your dog at her adult size
- bamboo may discolor if exposed to direct light
If you and your dog are always on the go, these collapsible dog bowls may be perfect for you. These bowls are about 5 in wide and 2 inches high and hold roughly one and a half cups of dog food but can be collapsed to only . 5 in for easy storage when traveling. The bowls are made of high-quality flexible silicone that is food grade and a hundred percent lead-free and BPA-free. Easily wipe clean the durable silicone construction and you’re ready to go. The bowls come with matched carabiners so that you can easily attach them to your luggage, backpack, or belt.
- convenient portable design
- easy to clean silicon construction
- included carabiner for easy transportation
- comes in only three bright colors
- too small for large dogs
3. Pet Zone Designer Diner Adjustable Elevated Pet Feeder
This high-quality elevated feeding stand will look great in any space so you can feed your dog in style. The stainless steel bowls are high quality and are rust proof for long-term durability. The stand is at the right height for most large dog breeds to reduce the potential for bloat and to reduce strain on the joints.
You can get this stand in one of three sizes so it will be sized exactly correctly for your dog. The collapsible legs make this stand easy to store and allow you to use it to feed your large breed puppy until she is large enough to use the stand.
- the elegant design will look good in your space
- stainless steel bowls are high-quality and rust proof
- collapsible legs for easy storage or to use stand with puppy
- sharp black color will fade with time
- nooks and crannies and collapsible design can become dirty and are difficult to clean
2. Vivaglory Dog Bowls Stainless Steel Water and Food Feeder
If your dog is a relatively messy eater, especially prone to pushing bowls over or around on the floor, this sturdy feeder may be right for you. The stainless steel bowls will resist corrosion and heat as well as rust and the mat will keep your floors clean while preventing your dog from pushing them around or knocking over the food bowl. The lip design of the mat will hold spilled water for easy cleanup. While this bowl and mat set does not come with the capacity to elevate, you can easily set the silicone mat on an elevated platform of your choice.
- prevents a dog from pushing bowls over or around on the floor with non-skid and bowl holding design
- comes in a range of fun colors and three sizes to fit your dog
- durable stainless steel bowls will resist rust and odor
- does not come with elevation
- The mat can be easily destroyed if a dog should chew on it
1. Outward Hound Fun Feeder Slow Feed Interactive Bloat Stop Dog Bowl
If your dog tends to plow through her food like she hasn’t eaten for weeks every time you feed her and you are concerned about bloat and also weight gain, this feeder may be perfect for you. This feeder will slow your dog down and encourage her to think about what she is doing while she eats. By slowing the process of eating, you will prevent the likelihood of your dog developing bloat or choking on her food.
This bowl will slow your dog up to 10 times so that she will be healthier and enjoy the eating process more. You can easily clean this bowl in a dishwasher, so you won’t have to worry about cleaning around the little nooks and crannies.
- slows your dog’s eating up to 10 times to prevent bloat and other eating problems
- comes in 2 sizes and several fun colors to customize your bowl
- durable design is dishwasher safe for your convenience
- not elevated so may not be good for tall dogs, especially since they will be required to bend over longer while eating from this bowl
- does not have rubber grip so may tend to slide around on your floor
Which should you buy?
If you want to feed your dog in a way that will make her eating process more enjoyable and improve her health and prevent the potential of feeding-related issues, consider the Outward Hound fun feeder. This feeder is not elevated and does not have grip, so if you have a dog that will tend to push the feeder or around or who needs to eat from an elevated feeder, you will need to provide a platform.
That said, the capacity of this feeder to slow your dog down and make her think about her eating process makes it worth it for you to get your own elevated platform that is customized to your dog. The convenient dishwasher-safe design and durable construction of this feeder will last you for a long time and will prevent both rapid eating problems like bloat and long-term lifestyle conditions like obesity.