The top desk lamp is a key element of a work or study area. Working for long periods can be trying on your eyes, but a good desk lamp can provide sufficient light to make hours of work easier on your eyes. Desk lamps can be adjustable enough to shine directly onto what you are working on at any angle or simply provide a circle of light over your work surface.
Desk lamps vary dramatically in appearance, from purely functional and industrial to extremely stylish. Depending on the purpose of your lamp you may put more value onto the ability of the lamp to highlight a highly specific area or that the lamp looks good in your space. A home library and study that is used for relatively short periods may benefit from the gentle fixed light of an old-fashioned desk lamp, while an engineer working from home for long hours on sketches and draw ups will value bright, specific light over style.
Desk lamps can serve as an attractive source of ambient light for a decorative desk in a living or sitting room or provide gentle light in a waiting area. If your desk sits in an open living space you will need a desk lamp that can provide targeted lighting while not distracting from the decor of your space.
Choosing The Right Desk Lamp For You
Some lights can be raised or lowered on a seesaw design or have long flexible necks that can be adjusted to point the light anywhere. Others have a fixed shaft and an adjustable hood so you can direct light. Think carefully about your needs in a desk lamp to choose the model that is perfect for your needs.
One of the most important factors to consider is choosing the right amount of light. LED bulbs are generally the best options, and we recommend purchasing between 5 and 10 watts, as this is suitable for most work environments. However, if you experience eye strain from looking at your computer for long periods, you may need to increase the light.
If brightness is important to reducing shadows and glares, incandescent bulbs are a popular choice because they product a bright light while evenly speading it across the area. For the brightest lighting, choose a fluorescent lamp, although you should consider the additional running price and they require a couple of minutes before reaching their brightest point.
Appearance and design are important factors when choosing a desk lamp. There are many styles to choose from, so you’ll discover something to suit your tastes and decor. Bear in mind that a lamp isn’t just for practical use as you’ll spend a lot of time looking at the unit when it’s switched off, so you want to like what you see.
The Size of Your Working Area
You’ll also need to bear in mind the size of your working area when selecting a desk lamp. The larger the area, the more light you’ll need to properly see when you’re working. How do you like to work? Do you often move around on your desk or typically work in one section? This is important as you may need a dark with an adjustment height and angle to suit your working conditions.
The Power Source
Your desk lamp will require some kind of power source, and many models come with a large choice. If you don’t have a wall plug close to your desk, you may need a USB port to conveniently charge your lamp through your laptop.
Many desk lamps aren’t energy efficient, but there are a some designed to reduce your carbon footprint and outgoings. LED lamps are the most eco-friendly options as they use around one fifths of the energy a halogen lamp uses.
The Top 10 Desk Lamps To Buy
We’ve searched the Internet for the best options on the market and discovered a wide range of lamps to suit your design preferences, budget, and lighting needs.
Table of Contents
- Choosing The Right Desk Lamp For You
- The Top 10 Desk Lamps To Buy
- 10. Etekcity LED Desk Lamp with Flexible Gooseneck
- 9. LEPOWER Desk Lamp, Eye-Caring Touch Control LED Study Lamps
- 8. HAITRAL Desk Lamp Wooden Industrial Table Lamp for Office
- 7. Globe Electric 35″ Heavy Base Architect Spring Balanced Swing Arm
- 6. tomons DL1001GR Swing Arm Desk Lamp Natural Wood Design
- 5. TaoTronics Stylish Metal LED Desk Lamp Office Light with USB
- 4. Fugetek LED Desk Lamp Exclusive Model with Recessed LEDs
- 3. TW Lighting IVY-40BK The IVY LED Desk Lamp with USB Port
- 2. TaoTronics LED Desk Lamp, Eye-caring Table Lamps
- 1. Lampat LED Desk Lamp, Dimmable LED Table Lamp Black
- Which should you buy?
10. Etekcity LED Desk Lamp with Flexible Gooseneck
This stylish little lamp offers energy efficient LED that doesn’t strain the eyes for long-term use. The colorful base of this lamp doubles as a nightlight. You can choose from a full-color spectrum to choose exactly the color for your mood. It is easy to control the brightness of the lamp and color of the nightlight with a touch. The battery of this lamp is rechargeable so you can use it anywhere for up to 6 hours without recharging.
- Battery so you can use it anywhere
- Colorful night light base
- 24-month warranty
- Hard to find a colored light switch in the dark
- Brightest setting is not very bright
9. LEPOWER Desk Lamp, Eye-Caring Touch Control LED Study Lamps
This little lamp features the latest lighting technology for flicker-free, soft lighting that relieves visual fatigue and protects your eyes while you work. This lamp is dimmable with a simple power key to choose between five adjustable brightness levels and three color temperature modes designed for sleeping, relaxing, or reading. The LED light of this lamp will save money on your energy bill.
- Adjustable gooseneck lets you put the light right where you need it
- Easy to carry
- 12-month warranty and 60-day money back guarantee
- The yellow setting doesn’t get bright enough
- Can’t tell where brightness adjustment is at easily
8. HAITRAL Desk Lamp Wooden Industrial Table Lamp for Office
This affordable lamp is the perfect accent for your space. 74 inches of cord gives you room to put your lamp where you want it. High-quality metal frame and wooden base is durable and elegant. The rotary switch on the base is easy to turn on and off. Choose between a warm or cool light when you choose a lightbulb for this lamp. A two-year warranty can make you feel confident about your decision.
- 74 inches of power cord
- Quality metal frame and wooden base
- Two-year warranty
- Bulb not included
- Not adjustable
- Not LED
This highly adjustable lamp can shed light where you need it. The spring balanced swing arm is very easy to adjust so you can direct the light exactly where you want it. The classic design of this lamp has simple clean lines that can look good on any desk. The tiny base won’t take up much room on your desk. You can choose between soft white and yellow bulbs when you choose a bulb for your lamp.
- Adjustable swing balanced arm
- Large, easy to use on/ off switch
- Classic, attractive design
- The lamp may fall over when using a heavy bulb
- Lamp head is loose
6. tomons DL1001GR Swing Arm Desk Lamp Natural Wood Design
This beautiful lamp is made of a natural solid wood that is firm and free of chemicals. Strong, flexible nylon covers the cable. This classic design encompasses solid wood and iron in a simple and classic style. This lamp is lightweight and portable enough that you can move it around your space and store it with ease. The angle and height of the lamp is fully adjustable.
- Natural wood frame combined with iron for a classic look
- Fully adjustable height and angle
- Easy to store
- May be difficult to assemble
- Very prominent logo looks tacky
5. TaoTronics Stylish Metal LED Desk Lamp Office Light with USB
If you take the work you do at your desk seriously and want a desk lamp that can provide superior lighting, this may be the lamp for you. The durable full metal body will last for years to come. The head and arm are fully adjustable to multiple angles. The light guide panel of this lamp transmits light sideways, making for glare-free illumination. Multiple functions including a memory function and 60-minute timer set this lamp above.
- Easy to set and activate your setting with the push of a button
- Memory function, night light
- Ismart USB port
- Bottom of the lamp makes an extremely high pitch sound that will bother children or dogs
- No hinge so can’t move up and down
4. Fugetek LED Desk Lamp Exclusive Model with Recessed LEDs
This desk lamp gives you a lot of power at a very reasonable price under $26. The patented recessed LEDs that are utilized in this lamp will not glare on your eyes like traditional LED. These LED lights are longer lasting than the competition as well, able to last up to 50,000 hours with normal use. Multiple brightness and modes give you lots of options with five levels of brightness and four lighting modes.
- Long-lasting LED
- Recessed LED is easier on the eyes
- Provides simulated natural life
- Affordable price
- Should not be used to charge iPhones
- Only comes with one color
3. TW Lighting IVY-40BK The IVY LED Desk Lamp with USB Port
This convenient lamp comes with a built-in USB port to charge your devices. You can choose between three dimmer levels for bright task lighting to ambient mood lighting. This high efficiency LED lasts longer than the competition. Touch dimmable brightness to easily adjust to your preferred settings.
- Low profile stand
- Charges iPhone or Android devices
- Swing arm neck
- The base is often scratched on arrival
- Would be nice to have more adjustments
2. TaoTronics LED Desk Lamp, Eye-caring Table Lamps
This energy efficient little lamp saves you money on your electricity bill while being gentle on the eyes with flicker-free lighting. Five color modes and seven brightness levels for each color mode give you incredible flexibility in your lighting decisions. The modern design of the lamp looks sleek and attractive with any decor. A one year warranty can make you feel confident about your buying decision.
- Energy efficient LED
- Five color modes and seven brightness levels
- One year warranty
- Not as bright as may be desired
- Have to hold down the power button for a long time to turn it off
1. Lampat LED Desk Lamp, Dimmable LED Table Lamp Black
This versatile little desk lamp offers five levels of brightness and four lighting modes to cover all of your lighting needs. The button on the touch-sensitive panel controls the lighting mode, the brightness, and other functions. This light will switch off automatically after one hour if left idle, for added energy savings. An integrated USB port lets you charge your devices.
- Affordable cost at under $25
- Buttons are easy to understand and use to control lamp
- Up to 25 years of light from LED bulbs
- Light can’t rotate sideways
- USB charging port charges slowly
Which should you buy?
For a desk lamp that will offer a lot of power and money saving in an affordable lamp, consider the Lampat LED Desk Lamp, Dimmable LED Table Lamp Black, 4 Lighting Modes, 5-Level Dimmer, Touch-Sensitive Control Panel, 1-Hour Auto Timer, 5V/2A USB Charging Port).
This versatile lamp has five brightness levels and four lighting modes to pick the perfect lighting for your activity. Auto switches off after an hour ensures that you will save even more energy. The LED bulbs can last up to 25 years if cared for carefully. This lamp makes it easy to control all functions with easy to understand buttons.