Nobody wants to load their dishes into the dishwasher only to have them come out still gritty and grimy. Do you need a dishwasher detergent that is going to get the job done in one go, right? We’ve compiled a list of our top 10 best dishwasher detergents that are affordable, easy to use and work great. What’s the top cheap dishwasher detergent?
Some of the products on our list are made from all-natural ingredients while others use your standard detergents that are tough on grease and food matter. Whatever you are looking for, this list is sure to cover it.
From washing liquid to pre-filled detergent pods, look over this list and determine what you need. Some of the detergents are scented with exotic essential oils that will fill your home with a clean fresh aroma as your dishwasher does its job.
You don’t need to spend an arm and a leg to have high-quality dishwasher detergent and this list proves just that. Getting your dishes sparkling clean with just one cycle and minimal rinsing saves you money, time, and energy.
Table of Contents
- 10. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent
- 9. Cascade Platinum Plus Dishwasher Detergent
- 8. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent Gel
- 7. Finish – All in 1-94ct – Dishwasher Detergent
- 6. Seventh Generation Ultra Power Plus
- 5. Natural Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Pods
- 4. Finish Quantum Ultimate Clean And Shine
- 3. Bubble Bandit Dishwasher Detergent
- 2. Ecover Zero Dishwasher Soap Powder
- 1. Grab Green Natural Automatic
- Which detergent will do the best job for you?
10. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent
For years, Seventh Generation has been a trusted source for household cleaning products. For just under $20 you can have 73 detergent packs that are fragrance-free. This is a great deal for folks who have an aversion to strong scents.
The enzyme-rich formula cuts through grease like knife leaving your dishes sparkling clean. Say “goodbye” to nasty food residue. You won’t find any dyes, phosphates, or chlorine bleach in this detergent.
Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent is a USDA Biobased Product 78%. You can be sure that what you are getting is pure and natural when you purchase this product.
- Dishwasher packs come in an easy-to-use resealable pack
- Free of dyes, fragrance, phosphates, and chlorine bleach
- No pre-rinse needed
- Some buyers have complained of a white film being on their dishes
- Unscented, if you like scented dishwashing detergent this isn’t the product for you
9. Cascade Platinum Plus Dishwasher Detergent
Cascade is a name that has graced many households for decades and for good reason…the product works. What makes this product so affordable is that you get 70 Detergent Actionpacs in a resealable container that can last most families up to a month.
Formulated with POWER BOOSTER! technology, plan on even the toughest grease coming off of your dishes without pre-rinsing. Cascade Platinum PLUS+ dishwasher detergent even removes burnt-on food.
When you choose Cascade dishwasher detergent you are also choosing the built-in grease-fighting power of Dawn dish soap.
- Works in both hard and soft water environments
- Rinse-Aid action
- Some complaints about the scent of the detergent being undesirable
- 1 pod only cleans one load of dishes
Seventh Generation does it again with their all-natural formula that is gentle on you and tough on grease. For under $28 you get six 42 oz. bottles of dishwasher detergent you can trust.
Scented in a fresh lemon aroma this detergent is derived from advanced plant technology making it a leader in the market of natural dishwashing detergents.
Treat yourself and your dishwasher to a USDA Certified Biobased Formula (96%).
- Ships in certified frustration-free packaging
- Scent derived from whole essential oils and botanical extracts
- Leaves dishes streak free and sparkling clean
- A lot of detergents is required by comparison of other brands
- Reports of a filmy substance left on dishes after a wash cycle completed
7. Finish – All in 1-94ct – Dishwasher Detergent
Finish is the World’s #1 recommended brand as reported by the company. There is no need to pre-soak or pre-rinse your dishes prior to using this product. The Powerball technology cuts through grease and scrubs away burnt and dried-on food like a champ.
You can have this giant mega-pack containing 94 tablets for under $15. That’s quite a steal.
The finish gives your dishes an all in 1 deep clean and even removes tough stains like tea and coffee.
- Finish Powerball Tabs are 3X concentrated cleaning power of regular Finish powder
- Easy-to-use, pre-measured dishwasher tablets with a clean, fresh scent
- Safe for septic systems
- Pods break easily
- Some complaints of a sticky film being left on dishes
6. Seventh Generation Ultra Power Plus
If you can’t tell by now, we absolutely LOVE Seventh Generation. We find the products to be of superior quality when seeking out natural dishwasher detergent. Seventh Generation Ultra Power Plus Dishwasher Detergent Packs are no exception.
First of all, these power packs smell great and are free from synthetic fragrances. Instead, the company uses essential oils and plant botanicals versus harsh chemicals.
You won’t find any dyes, chlorine bleach, or phosphates in the formula. These dishwasher packs come in a 70ct tub that is designed for compact, simple storage.
- Septic safe
- USDA Biobased Product 80%
- Some complaints of a white film remaining on dishes
- Some reviewers claim the formula isn’t powerful enough
5. Natural Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Pods
The gg grab green product line is quite enjoyable to use. We chose to highlight the tangerine with lemongrass scent because it is our favorite, however, the company features a handful of other natural scents for you to choose from.
There are 4 sizes available and we feel the 60 count bag gives you the most bang for your buck at just under $27. Each pod is worth a load of dishes.
Made from 100% cotton and rayon fibers, these convenient and concentrated pods are made strong. You don’t have to worry about them busting apart during the wash cycle.
- Made in the USA
- Powerful grease removal
- Non-toxic formula
- After a time, some of the pods disintegrate in the container
- Some complaints of detergent residue being left on dishes causing food to taste badly
4. Finish Quantum Ultimate Clean And Shine
Finish Quantum is a fairly new product that actually scrubs your dishes during the wash cycle. This product degreases, shines, and cleans your dishes to a sparkling gleam.
Each tablet contains 3 fast dissolving chambers that deliver 3 different power actions. The scrubbing action of the powder is where all the magic happens as it works hard to break down and remove stuck on food and grease.
The gel cuts the grease and helps clean up the toughest of messes on your dishes.
Lastly, the famous Finish liquid Powerball dries and delivers a finishing boost of shine.
- Makes your dishes shine
- Very strong scent
- Complaints that tablets do not dissolve well
3. Bubble Bandit Dishwasher Detergent
Bubble Bandit dishwasher detergent is proudly handcrafted in the small batches and made in the USA. This product has been reformulated and is now free of perfumes and dyes. Perfect for the person who likes to wash their dishes with a natural product.
You never need to worry about limescale buildup when Bubble Bandit in on duty. Hard water doesn’t stand a chance against this product. say goodbye to white film and water spots.
For under $30 you’ll find that this dishwasher detergent is quite economical as it washes up to 60 wash cycles.
- Made in the USA
- Leaves dishes sparkling clean
- Promotes cleaning of your dishwasher
- Due to the product breaking down grime in your dishwasher, your dishes may look dirty after the first few washes
- Glasses sometimes come out looking cloudy
2. Ecover Zero Dishwasher Soap Powder
This mega-pack if dishwasher soap powder contains (8) 48 oz. boxes for under $43. That’s enough dish soap to keep you in business for months.
You’ll find 0% fragrance, dyes, or chlorine in ecover zero. Only plant-based and mineral ingredients have been used to formulate this product.
With its biodegradable and phosphate-free formula, tackle tough food stains, grease, and stuck-on particles from dishes with gusto.
- Packaged in recycled cardboard
- Biodegradable formula
- Free from harsh chemicals
- Claims that silverware isn’t left sparkling
- some reviewers claim the soap doesn’t clean as well as others
1. Grab Green Natural Automatic
gg grab green is a high-quality dishwasher detergent that uses only natural ingredients. This particular formula happens to be fragrance-free, which we have found to be a favorite amongst the masses.
These conveniently concentrated powder pods provide a superior clean, epic grease removal, and leaves dishes with a glistening shine.
The non-toxic formula is free from phosphates, chlorine, and dyes. gg grab go NEVER tests its products on animals.
- Made in the USA
- Safe for all septic systems
- If left to sit in the container for months without use, pods have been reported to disintegrate
- Sometimes a film can be found on dishes after the wash cycle
Which detergent will do the best job for you?
From Finish to Seventh Generation, we’ve given our two cents on quite a few different dishwasher detergents. All of the products we’ve listed are affordable and contain ingredients with integrity. We had a hard time narrowing down our favorite. However, a choice must be made.
Our top pick is Grab Green Natural Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Pods, Fragrance-Free. We love this product for so many reasons but mainly because it uses all natural ingredients and is hypoallergenic.
We adore USA-made products and the gg grab go brand is just that. Of all the products listed, gg left our dishes the cleanest. The packaging is manageable and simple.
When it comes to septic systems, gg is safe for them all. You are left worry-free and with sparklingly clean dishes.