What makes the Top Battery Weed Wacker?
Weed wackers are extremely versatile tools that are able to tackle everyday grass growth in inconvenient places as well as heavy tangles of weeds and vines. Weed wackers work by spinning a sting rapidly. Grass and weeds are cut by the centrifugal force of the string. All weed wackers require the string to be changed out regularly in order to maintain cutting length. It is possible to get weed wackers that use chain or another heavy duty material, but these weed wackers can be very dangerous and are generally not as efficient so the norm is synthetic. What makes the best weed wacker?
You can choose between a straight shaft weed wacker and a curved weed wacker. Straight shaft weed wackers tend to be better for small spaces, while curved weed wackers function well at trimming more extended areas of grass that are difficult to access with a lawnmower. Curved shaft weed wackers can be easier to use, but may be less versatile. They tend to be better for shorter people as well.
Some weed wackers allow you to use the weed wacker as a string trimmer in a typical way, or as an edger so you can finish your lawn’s look with one convenient tool. If you have a very small yard, a weed wacker could even accomplish your primary grass cutting as well as trimming and edging.
Bump feed weed wackers work by bumping the trigger against a hard surface to release more string. This is a very simple mechanism to use, but if you don’t have many hard surfaces this can be a disadvantage for you. Other weed wackers automatically feed out string as needed. These weed wackers can be easier to use, but if something goes wrong they can be more difficult to fix as well.
Table of Contents
- What makes the Top Battery Weed Wacker?
- 10. BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium
- 9. BLACK+DECKER LST140C 40V Max Lithium String Trimmer
- 8. BLACK+DECKER LCC340C 40V MAX Lithium String Trimmer/Sweeper
- 7. DEWALT DCST920P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium-Ion XR
- 6. Greenworks 12-Inch 24V Cordless String Trimmer/Edger,
- 5. BLACK+DECKER LST201 20V MAX Lithium-Ion String Trimmer/Edger,
- 4. BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 20V MAX Lithium Easy Feed String
- 3. BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V MAX Lithium String Trimmer
- 2. Worx 13″ Cordless Grass Trimmer with 56V Max Li-Ion
- 1. Greenworks PRO 16-Inch 80V Cordless String Trimmer
- Which should you buy?
10. BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium
This weed wacker features PowerDrive transmission to give more power from the motor to the string, so you use more power to get the job done and waste less. Runtime Extension Technology utilizes a dual mode accelerator that uses high power when necessary to cut through thick grass and less power to breeze over thinner areas.
- The batter for this trimmer fits a range of other Black and Decker tools
- Includes two battery packs
- Runtime Extension Technology utilizes a dual mode accelerator to match the power to your needs
- Only get about 25 minutes on fully charged battery
- The angle of handle can’t be adjusted
9. BLACK+DECKER LST140C 40V Max Lithium String Trimmer
This powerful weed wacker utilizes a 40-volt lithium ion battery with a status of charge indicator. The high-torque transmission offers extremely fast string action for clean cuts. This trimmer uses an automatic feed spool so you won’t have to bump to always feed the right amount of line.
- Three year limited warranty
- Converts from trimmer to edger easily
- Auto feed spool
- Takes a long time to edge
- Awkward angle
8. BLACK+DECKER LCC340C 40V MAX Lithium String Trimmer/Sweeper
This convenient kit includes a powerful 40-volt combination trimmer and edger and a leaf blower so you can have your entire small lawn cared for with one convenient purchase. The sweeper reaches 130 miles per hour so you can clear all of the debris you cut with your trimmer.
- Two convenient tools to satisfy your lawn care needs with one affordable purchase under $120
- 40-volt power drive high-torque transmission string trimmer
- Quiet operation for both machines
- Adjustable lower handle shifts during use on weed wacker
- Battery only lasts about 20 minutes
7. DEWALT DCST920P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium-Ion XR
This efficient weed wacker features a brushless motor that offers the best in durability and efficiency. A straightforward bump feed is easy to use and fix if something goes wrong. A thirteen-inch cutting swath is wide enough to give you good coverage but small enough to be maneuverable.
- Light, easy to maneuver trimmer
- Brushless motor
- 20-volt max lithium ion battery
- Heavier than advertised
- Guard should be wider
6. Greenworks 12-Inch 24V Cordless String Trimmer/Edger,
If you want a convenient, inexpensive weed wacker to take care of light weeds and grass, this might be the perfect trimmer for you. The pivoting head lets you trim or edge as you like. An electric start makes it easy to get going. This trimmer features auto feed for easy operation.
- Auto feed line
- Pivoting head makes it easy to trim or edge
- Convenient electric start
- Not very powerful
- The battery doesn’t always push all the way in easily
5. BLACK+DECKER LST201 20V MAX Lithium-Ion String Trimmer/Edger,
This versatile trimmer and edger is in a small 10” size that is best for maneuvering around lots of obstacles. If you have narrow areas of grass or weed to take care of between lots of shrubs, trees, and landscaping, this is a good size for your needs. This trimmer is part of Black and Decker’s 20V Max system with interchangeable battery. This little trimmer is fully adjustable for height and handle.
- Converts easily from trimmer to wheeled edger
- Adjustable height and handle
- Auto feed spool
- Only good for very small, manicured lawns
- The safety switch is frustrating
This weed wacker can easily convert from trimmer to wheeled edger. Power Drive transmission increases torque for powerful spinning motion. You can choose between two speeds to maximize runtime when possible and power through when necessary. Easy feed lets you advance line with a button instead of a bump.
- Easy feed line release
- Two-speed control
- Power drive transmission
- Sometimes requires several passes to get through everything
- Batteries don’t last very long
3. BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V MAX Lithium String Trimmer
This effective little trimmer utilizes a Power Command dial so you can choose between maximum power and maximum runtime. An automatic feed spool lets you work constantly without having to worry about bumping or pushing a button to put out more string. Just turn the shaft to turn this trimmer into an edger.
- PowerDrive transmission
- Power command dial to choose between power and extending runtime
- Automatic line feed
- Auto line feed doesn’t function well
- The handle would be more comfortable if it could be tilted
2. Worx 13″ Cordless Grass Trimmer with 56V Max Li-Ion
This powerful weed wacker will make you feel like you are using gas with plenty of spinning power delivered at variable speeds so you can choose to extend runtime or power through tough weeds. The innovative command feed spool lets you choose when to put out more line easily.
- Pivoting cutting head tackles any terrain
- Easily convert from trimmer to inline wheeled edger
- Innovative command feed line
- Not well balanced
- Only uses one string
1. Greenworks PRO 16-Inch 80V Cordless String Trimmer
This effective weed wacker has a wide 16 inch but the path that will make quick work of wide areas. You can get up to 45 minutes of runtime from the 80-volt battery, and recharge is rapid in only 30 minutes. This trimmer utilizes the classic bump feed head that is easy to maintain. A brushless motor gives you more power and durability.
- Split shaft design for compact storage
- Front mount design offers good ergonomics and balance for long-term use
- 30 minute charge time
- Guard doesn’t function well so you will be covered in grass clippings
- A little on the heavy side
Which should you buy?
If you want a serious battery weed wacker that can rival a gas weed wacker, the Greenworks PRO 16-Inch 80V Cordless String Trimmer, 2.0 AH Battery Included ST80L210 may be right for you. This brushless motor offers a lot of power from the 80-volt battery.
This weed wacker can run for up to 45 minutes and recharges in only half an hour so you can get the job done in one day even if it takes more than one charge. A split shaft makes it easy to store this weed wacker when it is not in use. A classic bump feed makes it easy for you to produce more line without too many mechanics to go wrong.