Hair loss and thinning affects countless women and men throughout the world. While it can be tempting to trust expensive chemical solutions to this problem, there are many effective natural methods that work just as well.
We’ve compiled 15 of the most effective home remedies for thinning hair in the entire world.
1. Pack Your Diet with Protein to Stimulate those Follicles!
One of the best ways to naturally deal with hair thinning is to incorporate more protein into your diet–even WebMD agrees. A high-protein diet allows your body to produce more keratin, the most important structural element of hair, as well as nails and healthy skin.
Lean, healthy proteins like egg whites, free-range poultry, and organic dairy will help you combat hair loss and thinning.
2. There’s Nothing Fishy About the Hair Growth Benefits of Omega-3s
- PREMIUM QUALITY & TRIPLE STRENGTH: 2,000 mg of fish oil delivering 1,400 mg of Omega-3's (800 mg EPA, 600 mg DHA) per...
- DESIGNED FOR BETTER ABSORPTION & NO FISHY AFTERTASTE: Enteric coating for better absorption of the essential fatty acids...
- 100% NON-GMO WILD-CAUGHT FISH: Sourced from fresh wild-caught fish in an FDA registered & inspected GMP-certified...
Omega-3 fatty acids, common in fish like salmon, but also present in foods like walnuts and flaxseed, have properties that encourage hair growth. The health experts at Livestrong agree.
It’s easy to increase the amount of Omega 3 fats in your diet–whether you add salmon or nuts into your repertoire, or by taking a fish oil pill every day. Try it for yourself–it’s one of the easiest way to prevent a flaky, dry scalp and to reduce inflammation.
Recommended Product: Dr. Tobias Omega 3 Fish Oil
3. Another Wonderful Use for Coconut Oil!
- MADE FROM FRESH, ORGANIC COCONUTS – Cold-pressed from fresh, organic coconuts, Viva Naturals Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil...
- PERFECT FOR COOKING, FRYING & SPREADING - With a naturally high smoke point (350°F/177°C), coconut oil is perfect for...
- NUTRIENT-RICH SKIN & HAIR-CARE TREATMENT – Super useful outside the kitchen, coconut oil makes a luscious lotion or...
Coconut oil has health benefits that extend beyond your diet, though–it can help you have healthier, thicker hair, too. This awesome Youtube video above shows how simple it is to massage coconut into your hair to receive its hair-thickening benefits.
4. Avoid Stress, Keep Your Hair
Elevated cortisol levels can cause you to lose your hair at a much faster rate than usual. Stress-relieving techniques like deep breathing, yoga, and meditation can help keep these hormones at bay.
If you’re skeptical of some of the other methods, these stress-reducing techniques are a great place to start!
5. Massage Drives Blood to the Scalp and Prevents Hair Loss
- [Fully Relaxing]-20 prongs scalp massager gives you more touches and relaxing. Great for people with anxiety and sleep...
- [Easy Function]-Just slowly move back and forward scalp massager on your scalp, neck, and shoulders, you will feel find...
- [Durable]-It's made of metal but also soft for the head, durable and easy to clean.
While most of the items on this list involve massaging a particular oil or ingredient into your hair, according to Prevention people with less serious hair thinning problems can often see results from simply massaging their scalp to increase blood flow.
6. Shikakai–an Asian Shrub that Helps Thinning Hair
Shikakai is an Asian shrub that is popular as a hair cleanser. Ground shikakai powder is also an effective remedy for hair loss and dandruff.
For years, it was hard to find in the West, but thanks to the internet, you can easily get a hold of this powerful Asian hair treatment.
7. A Use for Onions that Won’t Make You Cry
It might sound crazy, but applying a simple concoction of honey and onion juice to your hair can help you grow thicker hair. The effectiveness lies in the sulfides contained in the onion.
Simply puree an onion in a blender or food processor and mix with a few tablespoons of honey, and massage the mixture into your scalp every few days.
8. Soapnut: A Scalp-Healing Cleanser
Reetha (also known as “soapnut”), an Asian fruit rich in the nutrient saponin, has been a popular additive in soap for thousands of years. It has many anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that are useful in treating many of the scalp ailments that cause hair loss and thinning.
9. The Highly Effective Hair Growth Properties of Indian Gooseberry
Amla fruit, also known as Indian Gooseberry contains tons of antioxidants as well as higher-than-usual doses of Vitamin C. What’s more, the fatty acids present in the fruit act as an effective moisturizer and conditioner to strengthen your hair and roots.
It’s a popular ingredient in hair treatments–there are many Amla-based hair oils on the market.
10. Acupuncture can Stimulate Hair Growth
This one’s a little bit unorthodox, but practitioners as well as the hair growth specialists at Frizz Tips agree that the stimulation provided by acupuncture needles can be an effective method to treat and prevent thinning hair.
Related Article: 13 Natural Ways To Color Your Own Hair At Home
11. Rosemary and Sage Aren’t Just Useful in the Kitchen
Several clinical double-blind studies have proven rosemary and sage are useful tools for regrowing hair. According to Health Beckon, by using a rosemary or sage infused oil, or simply incorporating more of these spices into your diet, you can quickly expect a fuller, healthier head of hair.
When you incorporate it into your diet, you can surreptitiously get the vitamins and minerals you need. Just be sure that you are not over doing it. One of the best ways to reap the benefits is by massaging the essential oil into your hair directly as well.
12.You Might Catch More Flies with Honey, but Vinegar can Grow Hair
- New Look Coming Soon! - Be on the look out to find a fresh new look on some of our bottles. Lucy's is getting a slight...
- Cooking - Spices up dipping sauces, develops flavor, makes homemade bread crusts golden brown, freshens wilted...
- Cleaning - Yes! White Vinegar for cleaning works fantastically. Check out some of our customer reviews to see how...
Rinsing your scalp with apple cider vinegar and warm water after washing your hair with shampoo can help treat thinning hair. It’s one of the least expensive methods, and an easy one for you to try.
Many people have reported quick results from this method when they’ve applied the diluted vinegar mixture 3-4 times a week for a month.
13. Fenugreek–Funny Name, Serious Hair Thickening Results
According to Drugs.com, fenugreek has many hair growth benefits. Part of the reason these seeds are so effective are because they promote a healthy balance of hormones.
You can either take a fenugreek supplement, or make a paste by mixing water and ground fenugreek seeds and massaging the paste into your scalp.
14. Olive Oil
An easy way to deal with thinning hair is to massage olive oil into your scalp. Think of it as sort of a “leave-in” conditioner–to see the best results, the experts at Fit and Happy recommended leaving the oil in for 4 to 6 hours. It helps treat dry scalp, too, which in turn improves your hair texture.
Because olive oil is a natural agent, you can safely use it on your hair a couple of times a week. You do not want to overdo it with the olive oil however because your hair will be left feeling greasy and icky.
15. Aloe Vera
- ✅ #1 HIGHEST QUALITY - to ensure freshness, our Aloe is proudly grown here in Southern Texas, in USDA (OTCO) certified...
- ✅ HARVESTED FOR US - from real FRESHLY CUT Aloe leaves, not powder - making it one of the purest and strongest on the...
- ✅ THE DIFFERENCE in skin treated with Seven Minerals Aloe Gel is striking. Thanks to 100% natural thickener Seaweed...
Aloe vera isn’t just for sunburns–it’s also an effective, inexpensive remedy for thinning hair. There are a few ways you can use aloe vera–drinking aloe vera juice (available at many health food stores, as well as Hispanic food markets) has been shown to promote hair growth.
Rubbing an aloe vera-based gel into your hair, the same way you’d typically use a conditioner, can also improve your hair’s texture through repeated use.
Grow Your Hair back Today
Although thinning hair is a common, natural process, it’s one that can be reversed through a combination of healthy habits and supplements. Many of the methods we’ve listed here don’t cost anything at all.
It’s never too late to start getting your hair back; if you try one of these methods today and stick with it, you could have a healthier, thicker head of hair sooner than you’ve ever imagined. We hope you find a method–or a combination of techniques that works for you.
People from all walks of life will experience hair loss and thinning hair at some point or another in their life. Many times, women will likely experience hair loss or thinning hair sooner than men will because of all the different hormonla changes their body will go through. From fluctuating stress levels to pregnancy hormones, life events like this can impact the gorwth of your hair.
The good news is you do not have to deal with hair loss or thinning hair long term. With these simple and easy to use remedies, you can get back on track to healthy and full hair. The best part is that you can restore your hair’s structure with remedies that you have in your home already.
We are curious to hear from you. Have you tried any of these home remedies for thinning hair before? If so, let us know in the comments section what you thought about it. Also, if you know someone who is dealing with thinning hair, be sure to share this article with them as well!
Want More Home Remedies You Can Use Around Your Home?
Then get yourself a copy of the Home Remedies Toolkit downloadable guide with 215+ DIY recipes for making your own natural health and beauty products and non-toxic cleaning supplies. Each recipe is beautifully presented with stunning photography and will save you a fortune as you discover how to stop buying toxic products for your home, health and beauty regime and instead replace with better, greener and cheaper alternatives. Get your copy here.