The weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer, and I’m itching to be outside more and more. Now that the thoughts of winter are behind us, I’m in spring mode all around.
Cleaning my house, cleaning my car, and even organizing my desk at work. It’s time to move out with the old and in with the new! And with the change in season also comes the change in foods.
I’m craving salads, muffins, and smoothies. Foods that are lighter in flavor seem to fit my mood lately. Are you the same way, too?
Every time I head to the grocery store, I always picks up some lemons. I love the tart flavor and sweetness hey bring to savory meals or baked goods. So when I found myself with a few leftover lemons last week, I decided to whip up the most spring-iest (that’s a word, right?) treat that I could think of!
After mulling over cakes, cupcakes, and everything else in between, I decided on these Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. These little cuties are sweet, moist, and full of fresh lemon flavor.
And since everything always tastes better in mini form, these were the perfect muffin to make!
Perfect to grab ‘n go for breakfast or a mid-morning snack, these Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins will fill you up and serve as a reminder that spring is in the air.
The outside of these muffins are crispy, while the insides are soft and full of flavor. And when you bite into these, the poppy seeds burst in your mouth, leaving you with a fresh and fruity taste.
These mini muffins were so good that my husband and I ended up eating the whole batch in less than two days. We have no will power when it comes to lemony desserts…nope, none whatsoever.
And the best part is that these Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are so easy to make! From start to finish, you can have these ready to be devoured in less than an hour. And that’s a winner in my book!
To start, we’ll combine the lemon zest and sugar in a large bowl. Using your fingers or a fork, mash together until the fragrant is strong. Then you’ll whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Next you’ll combine the wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and better. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and quickly combine.
Gently fold in the poppy seeds and spoon into the muffin tins. Bake these babies for about 9-12 minutes, or until lightly browned on the outside.
Once you bite into these Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, you’ll be transported to warm weather and sunny days. The fresh flavors and scent of lemon are light and refreshing, as it just breathes sunshine and deliciousness.
- Zest and juice of two lemons
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain, Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 24 count mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest and sugar. Using a fork or your fingers, mash together until becomes fragrant and blended together.
- Whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and melted butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Gently fold in poppy seeds.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins. Bake at 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then remove from muffin tin to a wire rack to cool completely.