Unnatural sunscreens can contain a long list of toxins that do more harm than good.
Our natural version will protect your skin from the sun and your body from unnecessary toxins. 20% zinc oxide powder will make your sunscreen an SPF 20, but adding in the carrot seed oil, which has a natural SPF of 30-40, will bump up its protection.
This sunscreen recipe is estimated to be an SPF of 30-50.
Shelf Life: 1 year+
Benefits: This sunscreen will protect you from sun damage and keep your skin free from dangerous toxins used in commercial sunscreens.
It will also moisturize your skin and act as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
Tips and Tricks: This sunscreen is not considered to be waterproof, so after swimming, you should reapply sunscreen for maximum protection.
It should also be applied in a thick layer— the more you use, the more protection it will provide. Using a thin layer will cut your SPF protection in half.
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Watch the video below for a step-by-step tutorial for making this homemade sunscreen.
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond oil or jojoba oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoon beeswax pebbles
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 tablespoon 20% zinc oxide powder (uncoated and non-nano)
- 1 teaspoon carrot seed oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- Double boiler (or use a pot and metal bowl)
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Dust face mask (or surgical face mask) d Spoon
- Rubber spatula
- Sanitized glass jar
- Use a double boiler, or make one by adding water to your pot and placing a metal bowl over pot.
- Add the beeswax, almond or jojoba oil, coconut oil and vitamin E, and melt over medium heat, stirring the mixture frequently until fully combined.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add in the carrot seed oil, stirring to combine.
- Put on your protective mask (or be very careful when using zinc oxide). Very slowly add the
- zinc oxide powder and whisk slowly so there are no clumps left behind.
- Scrape sunscreen into your jar and allow to fully cool before using.
- BREATHING IN ZINC OXIDE POWDER CAN CAUSE METAL FUME FEVER, WHICH WILL GIVE YOU FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS THAT CAN LAST FOR 6-24 HOURS. TAKE PRECAUTIONS, AND WEAR A PROTECTIVE MASK WHEN USING THIS SUBSTANCE.
Share on Pinterest
Want More Recipes Like This?
Then get yourself a copy of the Naturally Made downloadable guide with 150+ simple DIY recipes for a more natural, healthier body & happier home.
Each recipe is beautifully presented with stunning photography and will save you a fortune as you discover how to stop buying toxic products for your home, health and beauty regime and instead replace with better, greener and cheaper alternatives.
Get your copy here.