If you’re not getting everything you would like from your Internet experiences then your wireless router is probably the cause of it. Wi-fi routers are common place in most homes that obtain their service from an internet provider. It keeps everyone connected and happy no matter where they are in the home.
But unbeknownst to some, an older outdated router will still get the job done, but with much less precision than a newer device. You may not think to associate it with poor internet performance.
With so many devices connected such as tablets, video game consoles, smartphones, laptops, or desktops our router needs to be properly equipped. The same way you upgrade everything else you connect with like your laptop or smartphone, you should give your router its proper due as well.
How To Buy The Best Wireless Router For You
To help you discover the best wireless router for your needs, below we’ve categorized the features to look into throughout your search.
The Router’s Limits
One of the first features you should look into is the router’s limits. It’s essential that your device can keep up with your needs and improves your top speeds. Research how much data you typically use in one day and compare this information to the router’s limits.
If you plan on streaming YouTube videos or watching Netflix for hours at a time, you’ll need a wireless router that can keep up with you.
The best wireless routers will come with a security feature to prevent unwanted people using your device without your consent. Ensure that you have a password that uses WPA2 or WPA3 encryption to stop people hacking into your Internet.
When you first sign into the wireless router from your devices, you’ll need to enter the password so make sure you keep the information in a safe place. This is a particularly important feature if you live in a crowded area such as an apartment where people can use your Internet without your permission.
Everything comes with an app these days, but having one with your wireless router can be extremely useful if you struggle understanding data. When your Internet seizes to work, it is a stressful time for everyone – even more so if you don’t know how to resolve it.
Most new, high-end routers come with an app to make events like this easier to resolve. You can also monitor what devices are using the Internet and disconnect any you don’t recognize or no longer use. An app is also a helpful way to remind you to update your router or receive tips on improving your connection.
Do you know how far you need the router’s signal to transmit? Make sure you do before beginning your search as this is critical to the router’s efficiency.
Do you need the router to reach upstairs while you’re watching TV while going through 20 different walls to access another room? You should be conscious of the router’s coverage area and check that it can travel as far as you need it. The farther the distance, the more difficult it is for the Internet signal to travel.
The Number of Devices
Finally, consider how many devices will be connected to the wireless router at one time. The fewer you have connected at one time, the stronger the Internet signal will be.
However, there are many routers suitable for a large household with numerous devices connected to one router at a time. Whatever you need, make sure the router can have the number of devices, and particularly, using them all at one time.
The Top 10 Best Wireless Routers To Buy
So if find yourself becoming frustrated with down times, sketchy video streaming, dead spots and everything else that can be associated with a poor routing device, then please consider our top 10 list of best wireless routers in 2019.
Table of Contents
- How To Buy The Best Wireless Router For You
- The Top 10 Best Wireless Routers To Buy
- 10. Netgear AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router Dual Core 800MHz Processor
- 9. Securifi Almond 2015
- 8. DEWALT DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router
- 7. TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
- 6. ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
- 5. ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router
- 4. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router
- 3. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router
- 2. Linksys WRT1900ACS Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router
- 1. TP-LINK AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC Router
- Which Wireless Router Should You Buy?
10. Netgear AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router Dual Core 800MHz Processor
The Netgear AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router 1GHz Dual Core is an “ac” router which means that it offers exceptionally high WiFi speeds with the newer Gigabit designation that comes with the term “ac”. The WiFi speeds are 450+1300 Mbps equaling a performance of up to 1750Mbps. It is designed to provide service to 12+ connected devices.
It also comes with a NETGEAR genie app for remote access and advanced quality of service. Quality of service is important as it refers to how well you can multi-task with connected devices, for example ensuring that your VoIP phone connection is solid while downloading or uploading a large file. This product is priced around $120.
- The Netgear AC1750 is a great choice as it is specifically designed for larger homes and comes with Beamforming technology.
- This technology improves the range of the device considerably and makes more rooms accessible by eliminating dead spots.
- The device also has external antennas for maximum performance.
- The genie app on the device also makes it easy to setup parental controls.
- Based on reviews the AC1750 R6400 does not offer much more spec wise than its predecessor the R6300. This means that you are basically getting the same hardware with a few upgrades, which may or may not justify the price difference.
- The antennas on the router are also not removable which can make for awkward storage.
9. Securifi Almond 2015
The Securifi Almond 2015 offers the wireless standard of 802.11a/b/g/n and 2.4 GHz band. It also comes equipped with two ethernet ports, one WAN and one LAN. The Securifi is most widely known for its innovative touchscreen technology.
The Securifi Almond line of routers provides users with a touchscreen interface that does not require a computer for setup or maintenance. The device is priced at $80.
- The other most notable feature of this device aside from a touchscreen is the fact that it also offers a Home Automation Hub for security.
- You can control locks, lights, and thermostats along with being alerted when windows and doors open/close.
- The Securifi Almond is in fact, a multi-purpose device being a wireless router, range extender and access point all in one.
- It does not offer the new standard of “ac” also known as “Gigabit WiFi which means that is not exactly on trend with current speeds.
- The device’s range is limited to 50-150 ft.
8. DEWALT DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router
The next item on the list is just for fun. It’s actually not a router at all well at least not the type you are thinking of. The Dewalt DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max is a power tool and compact router that can be used for many jobs such as making bevel cuts in wood as well as providing flush trimmings.
The device is equipped with a high power motor that gets the job done at 1.25hp. The compact router also comes with variable speed controls to adjust your speed for each job. This item is priced at $160.
- In addition to the features just mentioned the compact router also comes dual LED’s for proper lighting while working.
- This is a wonderful asset and really sets this item apart from similar devices.
- The Dewalt also features great depth settings to make sure you control every cut. An adjustment ring on the base allows for this.
- Lastly, the compact router is also supported by a three-year warranty.
- According to reviews some problems you may face with this device is that it does not come with all the necessary accessories like an edge guide.
- The other complaint may be that this device is better for just laminate trimming but not the other important features mentioned.
7. TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
No products found.
No products found.
The TP-Link Archer C7 boast many of the same great features that can be found with a new age of wireless routers. The Archer C7 is made to the “ac” standard which means that it is going to provide you with some of the best upload and download speeds around.
The device also comes with 2.4GHz and5GHz bands. This device is sleek in design with three strong external antennas. This device is priced at $90.
- The Archer C7 actually has many of the features of its competition and then more.
- This device, along with its other great points also comes with 4 Gigabit ethernet ports.
- This is exceptional for things like gaming if need be.
- Another great feature is the tether app that allows for remote access on your smartphone.
- One noticeable setback like another router mentioned is that the antennas are not removable which may make for a difficult setup.
- The device also seems overall to be a bit large.
- Also, users complain of frequent signal loss and therefore internet outages when using this device.
6. ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
Next up is the Asus RT N66U. This wireless router self-proclaims to be a business router made for fast professional connections priced to fit most consumer budgets. This does seem to be true considering some of the specs that come along with this device.
Similar to its brother routers in the same class the Asus is quite competitive. It bears the Gigabit name by providing Gigabit ethernet ports along with fast wireless connections of up to 900 Mbps. This is significantly higher than any other router mentioned so far. This device is priced at $93.
- Some other interesting points about the Asus RT N66U is that is has three detachable antennas which are highly desirable for several reasons including relocation and movement.
- The device also provides a great user interface dashboard for quick setups along with signal monitoring.
- Two negative points to address with this device are that some users had difficulty with the user interface after only a short period of time.
- Also, there have been complaints with hardware issues such as the USB port not functioning properly.
- Lastly, poor customer support and contact.
5. ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router
The Asus RT-AC5300 seems definitely equipped to deliver with its eight strong antennas affixed to the device. Priced at much higher than its counterparts this Asus device really promises to deliver the goods.
It offers that latest in speeds and specs with tri-band dual 45 GHz and single 2.4GHz along with being categorized as an “ac” router to meet the latest in speeds. It also supports gamers with a built-in gamer network. This allows for great gameplay safely and securely. The Asus router is priced at around $380.
- Other points about this router that justify its hefty price tag are Air protection features to keep sensitive data safe and secure.
- Also, there is ASUS Smart Connect which makes sure that bandwidth is evenly distributed amongst all the devices in the home.
- And finally, there is the MU-MIMO technology that allows many different users to use the connection at the top advertised speeds with no interference.
- One of the first considerable cons for this device is simply its price.
- This router is much more expensive than any of the other ones mentioned so far. And we really have to consider why. Is there anything that special or different about this device?
- Secondly, users have complained that the 5GHz connection is somewhat of a scam and really only delivered best when in very close proximity to the device.
4. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 is one router that we can safely deem to be fully loaded. Just the letters “AC” in the title give way to the speed of the device which measures in with a combined WiFi speed of up to 3.2Gbps. That is exceptionally fast.
That coupled with six external antennas and amplifiers to deliver maximum coverage throughout the home really makes this router hard to pass up. The reviews are actually outstanding as well and many praise its performance. The device is priced at $260.
- The Nighthawk has a great list of features to really make it worth your while. First, it aims to give you the best WiFi coverage with Tri-Band technology.
- This along with Smart Connect chooses the most appropriate WiFi for each connected device. This is ideal for larger families or small businesses that have several devices attempting to connect at the same time.
- Lastly, this router also has a strong core with a 1GHz dual core processor.
- There does not seem to be too many cons to this device. It really provides a full package for wireless connectivity.
- One downside it would seem could of course, be the price. Spending over $200 for a router can definitely be out of the price range of many.
- Secondly, some consumers have complained of warranty red tape for bad routers.
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router
Similar to its sister device the AC2300 this other model router the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router also comes with the latest “AC” technology as indicated in the name.
It cranks out a combined speed of up to 1900Mbps as well as play host to the 1Ghz dual core processor. This device is priced at $180.
- Some of the unique features of this model include Beamforming technology to expand range and improve delivery, a NETGEAR genie app for remote access and five Gigabit ethernet ports.
- The ethernet ports are likely an asset with most devices only being equipped with one for WAN and one for LAN.
- One possible con to consider with this router is its delivery range. Though it does tout Beamforming technology the device is actually only equipped with three removable antennas.
- Likewise, the speed is a little slower than its more expensive counterparts and the range is considered “best” as opposed to “ultimate” in a product comparison chart from NETGEAR.
2. Linksys WRT1900ACS Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router
The Linksys WRT1900ACS appears to be another fully stacked device almost in direct competition with NETGEAR’s products. This router offers the wireless “AC” standard and up to 1900 Mbps of speed.
It also comes equipped with a dual-core 1.6 GHz processor that allows for smarter simultaneous usage. This router is priced at $200.
- The Linksys WRT1900ACS really hits competitors hard with many stand-out features.
- Some other items not mentioned are 4 external and removable antennas for dual-band performance, 4 Gigabit ethernet ports and personalization options to implement parental controls as well as prioritize devices.
- But of course, please don’t forget the 1.6Hz CPU which is pretty outstanding for a wireless router.
- An obvious con with this device, again similar to the NETGEAR AC1900 is that it is still a little slower than other devices in this price range.
- Another possible concern is that the negative reviews are slightly higher leaving them with about 3.9 out of 5 stars.
- Some of the complaints are related to strength and signal lacking as well as privacy concerns with the owner’s internet usage.
1. TP-LINK AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC Router
The TP-LINK AC1900 was saved for our top spot for good reason. This router is priced extremely well for all that it offers and made to stream out the best in video quality. Flushed in white with a sleek and clean design this “AC” standard wireless router comes with 3 detachable antennas for maximum coverage.
In addition, it is also geared up with Beamforming technology and a 1GHz dual core processor for a smooth, seamless connection no matter who’s online.
- Some of the plus features of this device include the company’s 24/7 technical support help line for setting up and troubleshooting your device.
- This has not been advertised with another router listed here and is a priceless service to have especially for a novice user.
- The router also offers 2 ethernet ports, a well-structured ventilation system and dual band networks with 2.4 GHz +5GHz speeds. This item is priced at $127.
- Some of the undesirable features may be the limited amount of antennas, only 3 come with this device, as well as the speed of only up to 1900Mbps.
- Consumers have also complained about the range not being very impressive and dropping significantly at even a short distance. But despite these reports reviews still, rank at about 4.3 out of 5.
Which Wireless Router Should You Buy?
We’ve brought an exceptional collection of routers for you to choose from in this top 10 list. Some a little pricier than others but all well-equipped to deliver high WiFi speeds with a range that you should be pleased with. The “ac” standard also seems to be set with most and they all offer some form of range extension technology.
And despite the affordability and attractiveness of the last item, the TP-LINK AC1900 we would like to put our firm recommendation on the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200. Simply because when it all comes down to it, speed is what really counts right?
The Nighthawk is hands down a fully loaded router with speeds up to 3.2Gps. Order it online today and you will not be disappointed in the least.