The wire has functioned throughout our lives, from providing electricity to everything in your home to helping you to secure things. A wire is stronger than twine or rope, and can’t be chewed through, so it can be good to secure things that need to be the best proof. Whether you are cutting wire to repair a fence or cage or you are doing electrical work that requires precise cuts, there is a wire cutter for every purpose. What makes the best wire cutter?
If you need a wire cutter for cutting heavy-duty wire around your property and home, you will want a sturdy pair of wire. It may be convenient for you to choose combination pliers and wire cutters so that you can twist and wrap wire as well as cutting it with one convenient tool.
If you are cutting electrical wire for the purpose of rewiring you may want a wire cutter that can strip as well as cut. It is important that you choose a cutter that has an insulated handle so that you won’t be electrocuted if you accidentally cut a live wire. You can choose between a diagonal cutter that uses intersecting jaws to cut at an angle. This leaves a flat tip that is ready to strip and makes it easy to make the cut close to the base. Symmetrical cutters leave a pointed tip.
Wire cutters with holes can be used to bend and loop wire of different diameters. Some wire cutters are equipped with the looping holes, a stripping nose, as well as cutting capacity, for an all in one tool that can help you with all the electrical work that you need to do.
Many wire cutters come in kits with other wire manipulating tools so that you can get everything you need to tackle your wire with one purchase. While you will need to carry and store multiple tools, as opposed to an all in one wire cutter, generally separate tools do the job better.
Table of Contents
- 10. Uxcell Cutter Diagonal Wire Cutting Pliers Nippers, 4.5-Inch, Red
- 9. Knipex 7401250SBA 10-Inch High Leverage Diagonal Cutters
- 8. Wire Cutter and Wire Stripper, Stranded Wire Cutter, Solid Wire Cutter
- 7. Stanley 84-114 3 Piece Basic 6-Inch Slip Joint, 6-Inch Long Nose
- 6. IRWIN VISE-GRIP Diagonal Cutting Pliers, 8″, 2078308
- 5. IRWIN VISE-GRIP Multi-Tool Wire Stripper/Crimper/Cutter, 2078309
- 4. Stanley 84-105 6-Inch Diagonal Cutting Plier
- 3. TEKTON 8-Inch Mini Bolt and Wire Cutter
- 2. CHP-170 Micro Cutter
- 1. Wire Stripper,ZOTO Self-adjusting Cable Cutter Crimper
- Which should you buy?
10. Uxcell Cutter Diagonal Wire Cutting Pliers Nippers, 4.5-Inch, Red
Why spend more than you have to for a tool that will get the job done? At under $6, these are very affordable diagonal wire cutters. At only 4.5 inches long, they are small enough to be portable, so you can slip them in your pocket or tool bag as you go about your work around your home.
- Sturdy steel construction
- Easy to find red grip
- Affordable price
- Very small wire cutters may be uncomfortable for some people
- Not strong enough for a very thick wire
9. Knipex 7401250SBA 10-Inch High Leverage Diagonal Cutters
If you have heavy duty wire cutting to do, this high leverage diagonal wire cutter has you covered. The forged on the axle can cut any kind of wire, from wire around your home to piano wire. Cut even thick wires without feeling the pressure with an optimally coordinated cutting angle and ergonomic handle.
- Non-slip coated handles
- Chrome vanadium electric steel that is oil-hardened and tempered
- High leverage for optimal cutting power
- Must be kept heavily oiled
8. Wire Cutter and Wire Stripper, Stranded Wire Cutter, Solid Wire Cutter
Why settle for wire cutters alone when you can get this convenient tool that can cut or strip. The serrated nose is made for strong gripping and easy bending and shaping of the wire. Holes are built into this tool for looping and bending the wire. This handy tool can be the only tool you carry as you about electrical work in your home.
- Cuts, strips, and loops electrical wire
- Serrated nose grips strongly for easy bending
- Holes for looping and bending a wire
- Can’t cut thicker wires
- The stripper is not as efficient as a catapult-style stripper
7. Stanley 84-114 3 Piece Basic 6-Inch Slip Joint, 6-Inch Long Nose
This versatile set comes with three separate tools so that you can accomplish all of your wire manipulation needs. These tools are coated with a rust-resistant finish. The handle has been dipped twice in the coating for added comfort. Chrome nickel steel gives a tough cutting edge.
- Comes with three tools including diagonal cutter and pliers
- Rust resistant finish
- Chrome nickel steel for hard cutting edge
- The coating on handles gets sticky over the years
- Not good for delicate work
6. IRWIN VISE-GRIP Diagonal Cutting Pliers, 8″, 2078308
These sturdy wire cutters are made of a durable nickel chromium steel that will last through the years and through heavy-duty cuts. the proTouch grip is more comfortable than coated handles and reduces hand fatigue. The cutting edge is induction hardened so it will stay sharp for longer.
- Lifetime guarantee
- Induction hardened cutting edge
- proTouch reduces hand fatigue
- Takes some strength to cut through a thicker wire
- Alignment may be a bit off and need adjustment
5. IRWIN VISE-GRIP Multi-Tool Wire Stripper/Crimper/Cutter, 2078309
This extremely versatile tool is labeled for easy use. Cut, strip, and crimp wire with one convenient and durable tool. This wire cutter can crimp insulated and non-insulated terminals with ease. The bolt cutter cuts bolts to size while leaving a lead thread. A pliers style nose lets you pull and loop wire.
- Extremely versatile all in one tool
- Clear labeling to make your work easy
- Bolt cutter leaves a lead thread
- Feel stiff and are difficult to open with one hand
- The handle doesn’t have a grip
4. Stanley 84-105 6-Inch Diagonal Cutting Plier
These wire cutters have long tempered jaws to help you reach hard to reach areas. The forged steel increases durability and the rust-resistant finish offers extra protection. The handle is dipped twice for good comfort and grip. A hardened cutting edge and chrome-nickel steel offer a touch cutting edge.
- Long tempered jaws
- Rust resistant finish
- Hardened cutting edge
- Affordable pliers don’t cut as well as more expensive models
- Metal is a bit soft
3. TEKTON 8-Inch Mini Bolt and Wire Cutter
This strong tool can cut bolts or wires with ease. The forged and hardened alloy steel jaws powerfully cut through even thick wire. This wire cutter utilizes compound cutting action that requires less effort from you to be effective. The rolled steel handles are covered with cushioned non-slip rubber grips.
- Cuts a variety of chain, wire, bolts, and threaded rod
- The compound cutting action is easier on you
- Forged and hardened alloy steel jaws
- Takes the effort to cut bigger bolts
- The small tool is uncomfortable for some people
2. CHP-170 Micro Cutter
This precise and affordable cutter has an angled head to let you cut flush. This wire cutter is not heavy duty and is meant for up to 1.3mm copper and soft wire, but it is good for finesse work. The heat treated carbon steel will last a long time. This tool has a spring return to reduce fatigue.
- Precision ground holes and surface
- Heat treated carbon steel
- Dolphin style non slip hand grip
- Only good for soft wires
- Spring doesn’t work smoothly
1. Wire Stripper,ZOTO Self-adjusting Cable Cutter Crimper
This incredibly versatile tool can strip, cut, or crimp with ease. Self-adjusting jaws grip copper or aluminum cables perfectly. Use the convenient thumb wheel swivel knob to conveniently strip wire. The cutting blade is heat treated for high performance. A cushioned plastic grip gives awesome leverage.
- The multifunctional tool covers all of your wire manipulation needs
- One year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee
- Non-slip comfort grip
- Crimper requires you to be very careful lining up the terminal
- Could use more rigidity in handles
Which should you buy?
If you have electrical work to do around your home and want a single tool to take care of all of your small wire needs, the Wire Stripper, ZOTO Self-adjusting Cable Cutter Crimper, Automatic Wire Stripping Tool/Cutting Pliers Tool for Industry may be the perfect tool for you.
This versatile wire cutter can also strip and crimp. A non-slip comfort grip is cushioned for comfortable use for longer periods. You can use one hand to quickly accomplish most of your crimping and stripping. This tool is guaranteed with a year warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee.