Having a healthy home is essential to reducing the likelihood of sickness and visits to the doctor, saving money in medical bills. Having a water filter is a great way to do this, since proper hydration is a necessity to having good health.
Not only do they remove impurities in tap water, they also add in minerals to improve the taste. These added minerals are also beneficial to your overall health. Therefore, choosing the right water filter will improve your overall health and the health of those around you.
Before purchasing a filter, you will need to take into account certain things about them, one of which is how big a filter is needed (whether you need a simple pitcher filter, counter-top filter, or an under-sink filter). Determine the kind of filter you need (carbon or multistage filters).
The flow rate of the filter needs to be known as well. Although all filters will slow the rate at which water comes out, you will not want one which takes too long.
Though top filters attach to most faucets, make sure what filter you buy attaches is a good idea. Also, I recommend buying one with a changing indicator (like a light).
Here are my top 10 best water filtration systems in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
- 9. Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter
- 8. Express Water 5 Stage Home Water Filter
- 7. Aquasana AQ-RO-3 OptimH2O Reverse Osmosis Fluoride Water Filter
- 6. New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filtration System
- 5. PUR Advanced Faucet Water Filter Chrome FM-3700B
- 4. APEC Water Systems Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
- 3. Watts Premier 531130 Filter-Pure-3 3-Stage Water Filtration System
- 2. APEC WFS-1000 Super Capacity Premium Quality 3 Stage Under-Sink Water Filter System
- 1. iSpring 7-Stage 75GPD Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
- Which Water Filtration System Should You Buy?
10. Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
This water filtration system delivers fantastic quality water. Not only does it remove up to 98% of contaminants, it adds minerals for a great taste. Its included pump decreases water waste up to 80% while increasing water production by 50%.
This comes with Perfect Water Technologies Fast Flow RO! Kit which nearly doubles the flow rate to the faucet. The modular filters only need changing every 2,000 gallons and are easy to change, wrench free!
The filter uses an ultraviolet light which penetrates the cell walls of the living microorganisms in water, which in effect neutralizes them. The EPA views UV light as the #1 way to filter water.
- Fast flow rate
- Waste reduction
- Easy to change filters
- Not the best design, although being an undersink system, it will not be seen much.
- Noisy without insulation.
9. Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter
This faucet-mounted filter is a great choice if a faucet filter is what you desire. It reduces bad taste, bad odor, lead, and other contaminants. The polished chrome design gives it a great look as well. It activates by pulling the diverter tab down.
Along with chlorine (which affects the taste) this filters out cyst, lead, and sediment. As a result, your faucet water will be healthier and tastier!
This filters up to 200 gallons of water or will last about 2 months. The included adaptors will make it fit most aerator faucets. Installation is easy and does not need any tools whatsoever. It is also light weight.
- Great looking
- Easy installation
- Light weight, only 1.4 pounds
- May need adaptors to fit certain faucets
- Expensive filter replacement
8. Express Water 5 Stage Home Water Filter
This fine filter removes various sediments and rust particles. The granular activated carbon filter improves the taste by eliminating chlorine and odors. The thin film reverse osmosis membrane removes up to 99% of bacteria and chemicals.
This filter has easy installation and maintenance. The quick connections are labeled and each of the hoses have color coordinated caps to show where they must be inserted. The label-matched housings makes filter replacement a breeze.
The flow rate is .8 GPM (gallons per minute) ensuring fast distribution of clean water. This filter also comes with a Leak Stopper. When water comes in contact with it, the water will shut off, preventing leaks.
- Easy Installation
- Fast flow rate
- Comes with Leak Stopper
- Only useful for biologically safe water like tap water
- High waste water.
7. Aquasana AQ-RO-3 OptimH2O Reverse Osmosis Fluoride Water Filter
This filtration system is fully certified by the NSF (National Science Foundation). This means it is certified to not leach any contaminants back into your water. It removes up to 99% of contaminants, such as arsenic, lead, etc.
This system also removes over 95% of fluoride without any demineralization. Also, it adds healthy amounts of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and optimally alkaline for pH balance.
The Carbon and Claryum filters are easy to replace with easy to twist off housings. The flow rate is nice and fast with a rate of .8 GPM meaning you won’t have too wait long to fill up a glass.
- NSF Certified filtration
- Very little fluoride after filtration
- High GPM
- High waste water
- Not easy to install
6. New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filtration System
This water filter attaches to your faucet. It removes contaminants at a level below what the EPA requires minimally. It quickly attaches easily to the faucet; or if you want, you can buy an additional kit to convert it to attach under the sink.
The system filters chlorides, fluoride Trihalomethanes (which causes cancer), bad odors, toxic heavy metals, micro-organisms, and many more less known contaminants.
This filter also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well as a one-year manufacturer’s warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Also, for a filter which can be installed under the sink the price is significantly better than others.
- Filters below the EPA minimum requirement
- Filters out many harmful contaminants
- Cheap for a filter which can be installed under the sink
- Can be in the way when attached to a sink
- Only works with municipal water
5. PUR Advanced Faucet Water Filter Chrome FM-3700B
This great looking filtration system is certified to remove over 70 different contaminants, including nearly all lead, pesticides, and mercury! The available MineralClear filters give water natural minerals for better taste.
It has an electronic filter life indicator, which tells you when to change the filter. It can filter up to 100 gallons of water or for about three months. It is compatible with most standard faucets.
It fits most sinks easily because of its 360-degree swivel. With the great build quality of having new finishes and materials, it will withstand harsh kitchen use. Also, at a weight of only 1.5 pounds, it will not be heavy!
- Removes many different contaminants.
- Filter life indicator
- Good build quality
- Does not work with pull-out or hand-held faucets
- Does not remove fluoride from water
4. APEC Water Systems Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
This is a high-tier, built in the United States, and high-performance filtration system which provides you with crisp-tasting water that is superior to bottled water. It has the highest grade 5-stage ultra-pure USA made filtration system.
It is NSF certified, guaranteeing your safety and health. It also has the WQA (Water Quality Association) gold seal, meaning it is certified to remove up to 99% of contaminants, which number to over 1,000+!
It comes with super capacity filters which lasts over twice the time of other filters . The JG Quick Connect fittings require no extra lock clips or steps to seal it from leaking.
- APEC is the only USA reverse osmosis manufacturer that builds, inspects, and lab tests their systems
- NSF certified and has the WQA gold seal
- Removes over 1,000+ contaminants
- Does not notify when to change the filter
- Difficult to open membrane filter housing
3. Watts Premier 531130 Filter-Pure-3 3-Stage Water Filtration System
With this filtration unit you can reduce your impact on the environment. Every change out of the filters saves over 2,500 half-liter bottles from being deposited in landfills.
It is also WQA certified to NSF/ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards 42 and 53. Its certification means it will remove a wide variety of contaminants.
It comes with everything you will need for installation; also, the valve-in head automatically shuts off the water, meaning no tools are needed for filter changes. It also comes with a high-end ceramic valve Euro style brushed nickel non-airgap faucet, which makes filling glasses, pitchers, or coffee pots easy.
- WQA certified to NSF/ANSI certified standards 42 and 53
- Reduces negative environmental impact
- Easy to install
- Fittings can be a problem causing leaks
- Valve can leak
2. APEC WFS-1000 Super Capacity Premium Quality 3 Stage Under-Sink Water Filter System
Like the previous one, this high-quality APEC system is designed and build right here in the USA. Its NSF certified super-capacity filters are guaranteed to remove chemicals, bad taste, and odors, resulting in great tasting water.
The premium long-lasting filter will treat well and tap water. These three premium long-lasting filters will treat water for over one year which means you will not have to change them as often.
This is also certified to have frustration-free installation so it will be easy to hook up although installation is not tool-free. Lastly, the components are durable so that its performance is long-lasting.
- Built in the USA
- Long lasting filters
- Comes with great looking faucet
- The faucet might not fit right on a stainless steel sink
- No choice for faucet finish unless bought from the manufacturer
1. iSpring 7-Stage 75GPD Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
This Reverse Osmosis filtration system encourages hydration, cuts expense, and eliminates need for bottled water. It filters out over 1,000 contaminants, including chlorine and fluoride. By adding Alkaline, the pH of your water is balanced.
The 11W Ultraviolet sterilizer will kill off harmful viruses, bacteria, microorganisms. On the tubing of the UV housing there is an inline sensor switch that turns UV on or off for power conservation.
This filtration system received the WQA gold seal for superior performance. It is also backed by a one year money back guarantee. Also, it has life-time tech support; so you can contact WQA certified professionals.
- Promotes hydration
- Helps removes the need for bottled water
- Has WQA gold seal, money back guarantee, and life time support
- Instructions might seem somewhat difficult
- High waste water
Which Water Filtration System Should You Buy?
I recommend the highly-rated, American-made APEC Water Systems RO Drinking Water Filter System, which is NSF and WQA certified.
Although unfiltered water looks clean, the process water goes through to get to your home results in contaminated water; therefore, additional chemicals are added. The only way to have clean, great-tasting water is to use a filter.