The violin is one of the most popular instruments for people looking to develop a musical talent. Its light weight makes it easily transported from the practice room to the lesson location and everywhere in between.
It generates a familiar and sweet sounding music that people all over the world will recognize and appreciate. It teaches commitment, dedication, and time management. It trains hand-eye coordination as an effective cross-training with athletic abilities.
The violin teaches a skill that can be nurtured and enjoyed over a lifetime of hard work. Violins are made from high-quality wood ensuring they will withstand the beatings of both a curious child and a frustrated adult. They feature various colors, bow types, and string qualities.
Some violins are made for the most experienced professionals while others are manufactured with the child’s first lesson in mind. With so many options, the top 10 best violins in 2017 choices for beginners are reviewed below.
Table of Contents
- 10. Goplus® Durable 4/4 Full Size Natural Acoustic Violin Fiddle
- 9. Cremona SV-500 Premier Artist Violin
- 8. ADM 3/4 Size Handcrafted Solid Wood Student Acoustic Violin Starter Kit
- 7. D Z Strad Violin Model 101 1/4 Violin
- 6. Cremona SV-130 4/4 Violin with Premium Strings
- 5. Cecilio CVN-300 Solidwood Ebony Fitted Violin
- 4. Mendini 4/4 MV500+92D Flamed 1-Piece Back Solid Wood Violin
- 3. Cecilio 3/4 CEVN-2BK Solid Wood Electric/Silent Violin
- 2. Crescent 4/4 Full Size Student Violin Starter Kit
- 1. Mendini 4/4 MV300 Solid Wood Satin Antique Violin
- Which Violin Should You Buy?
10. Goplus® Durable 4/4 Full Size Natural Acoustic Violin Fiddle
This is a beautiful acoustic violin that has developed a reputation for being solid and reliable for beginners and professional players all over the world. The neck comes with a bow shape that allows the instrument to rest comfortably in the hand of players of all ages.
Their violins are carved by hand out of composite wood and finished with a beautiful gloss. The instrument is durable and generates the sweet tones that everyone is looking for. The violin comes with a quality bow and sturdy carrying case. The carrying case is padded for extra protection.
The violin comes with a one-year warranty against any catastrophic events. This is a great choice for anyone looking to learn how to play the violin.
- The solid wood is durable and will not crack.
- The hand-crafted style ensures premium comfort.
- The case provides for easy transport from place to place.
- The full size may be too large for younger players.
- The case doesn’t protect the resin which causes it to break easily.
9. Cremona SV-500 Premier Artist Violin
This is a classic model that is made with only the highest quality wood. The quality wood contributes to a unique sound that even non-musicians can appreciate. The wood is durable and ensures that it will never chip or fade except under extreme duress.
Furthermore, the instrument is finished with a beautiful varnish that is unparalleled. The violin is made with premium strings that are just as durable as the wood. The strings do not irritate the fingers to ensure that beginner players do not get injured or frustrated with the instrument’s texture.
The instrument has a flame shape that allows it to fit comfortably in the hands of even the smallest players. Finally, the Stradivarius chin rest will prevent neck or face cramps during play. This violin comes with a padded oblong case and one year warranty.
- The sound is very clear and differentiates correct and incorrect notes clearly.
- The strings are durable and will not snap.
- The fingerboard is clearly contrasted against the strings to allow for easy fingering.
- The straps on the case are a little small for easy transport.
- It might be best to replace the bow with a higher quality model for clearer tones.
8. ADM 3/4 Size Handcrafted Solid Wood Student Acoustic Violin Starter Kit
While the 3/4 size is slightly smaller, this also means it is perfect for younger beginner players. The violins have a classic red and brown color to go along with the hand-crafted design. In addition, the quality wood brings out the tones so that beginners and students can clearly hear the notes.
The spruce wood is sturdy and reliable. It will not stain, chip, or crack. The fingerboard color adds a striking contrast that ensures accurate fingering of the notes. This is essential for students who are learning to play.
This instrument also comes with four fine tuners to ensure that the instrument is tuned perfectly prior to use. The Brazilian bow and adjustable shoulder rest work well in combo. This allows the sound to remain high quality over many years of lessons. It comes with a padded case and one year warranty.
- The neck fits comfortably in the hands of every player.
- The finish adds a beautiful aesthetic shine to the instrument.
- The fingerboard contrast allows for easy fingering.
- While perfect for children, it may be too small for adults.
- The tuning knobs are difficult for children to tune. Add some wax to make this easier.
7. D Z Strad Violin Model 101 1/4 Violin
This violin is sold as part of a perfect starter package that all students can appreciate. The violin comes with a rosin package, bow, and case. The package has sold millions of copies worldwide as students all over the world have learned to play.
With its compact 1/4 design, this is one of the best selections for younger players. It is lightweight, portable, and one of the most popular models on the market. This violin is highly recommended by the most experienced teachers all over the world. The beautiful body is eloquently designed to ensure comfortable and efficient practices.
Finally, the strings have a natural feel that will ensure fingers do not blister or bleed. The wood is solid maple and comes with a one year warranty. The case is padded hardwood for additional protection.
- The all-inclusive package makes shopping easy
- The 1/4 design is perfect for children.
- The strings are sturdy yet do not cause blisters or bleeding.
- The violin is meant for children so it might be too small for adults.
- The bridge has a tendency to come out while tuning it.
6. Cremona SV-130 4/4 Violin with Premium Strings
This full-size violin has a classic brown body that comes with a comfortable Kaufman chin rest. This chin rest sits lower than others, ensuring that the ears remain close to the strings for efficient note playing. The chin rest is soft and prevents neck cramps and chin blisters.
This allows players to appreciate correct melodies and catch obvious mistakes. The neck wood is oiled in a way that even the youngest of players can hold comfortably. The neck has an ergonomic feel and clearly contrasts the rest of the violin for accurate fingering.
This violin is one of the best-selling violins for novice players worldwide. The material is an oiled solid maple and comes with a one year warranty. The case is padded and hardwood for additional protection.
- This violin comes with the perfect strings for teachers and students alike.
- The tuners allow for precise tuning for perfect practice.
- The finish on the wood allows this violin to retain its value.
- The bridge has a tendency to pop out while tuning the violin.
- Make sure to wax the knobs to make them easier for children to tune.
5. Cecilio CVN-300 Solidwood Ebony Fitted Violin
This full-sized violin comes with an ebony look that truly makes this violin unique among the choices. The violin is lightweight and easily transported making it easy to play for children everywhere. The wood is high density and durable enough to stand up against even the toughest of stressors.
The player can detect every wrong note and appreciate correct melodies. The prelude strings are smooth and comfortable enough to prevent blisters on the fingers. The strings are just as durable as the wood and will not snap. The violin comes with nickel-plated tuners that assist with proper tuning.
This is important for proper practice and performance. The violin has a beautiful varnish that adds an additional shine. The material is a solid ebony wood and comes with a one year warranty. It also comes with a padded hardwood case.
- The case is fitted to safely transport the violin and bows.
- The detachable tuners allow for precise tuning and perfect practice.
- The package includes a lesson book.
- The tuners do not retain their life well.
- The bow also tends to give out quickly. Players can replace this with a higher quality bow.
4. Mendini 4/4 MV500+92D Flamed 1-Piece Back Solid Wood Violin
This violin has a beautiful flame design and is made out of a durable solid wood that will handle a significant amount of abuse. This full-sized violin produces a rich sound that is perfect for people just beginning to play.
Those looking for a violin perfect for practice at home and performance at concert time will not find a better model. The neck and shoulder rest molds perfectly to the body and relieve the typical cramps that develop with extended practice time.
The violin is finished with an inlaid purfling and varnish that brings out a classical shine. The violin is made out of solid wood and comes with a one year warranty. The violin also comes with a padded hardwood case.
- The neck rest will allow for hours of comfortable practice.
- The ebony fingerboard allows for easy fingering.
- This kit comes with a metronome for improved practice.
- The rosin provided is a little smaller than most. This makes it a choking hazard.
- The varnish provides for a striking smell that can irritate some players.
3. Cecilio 3/4 CEVN-2BK Solid Wood Electric/Silent Violin
This is slightly different than the other models discussed. This is a silent electric violin made out of a solid wood with beautiful ebony accessories. The finish has a beautiful metallic style that prevents chips and fades. The design guarantees that it is light enough to be played by players of any age.
- This model is very lightweight.
- It comes with headphones to contain the sound from people who do not want to hear the practice.
- This model comes with a battery.
- The electric sound is quite unique and might be irritating.
- The horsehair bow frays quickly.
2. Crescent 4/4 Full Size Student Violin Starter Kit
This is a popular model for novice players. This comes with tuners, lesson books, and a premium finish. The violin comes with a carrying case and a one year warranty. The wood is durable and will not crack, chip, or fade. For those looking for a violin for beginners, this is a good choice.
- This violin is lightweight and easily portable by all ages.
- The wood is more durable than most models.
- The lesson books are great for students.
- The full size might be too large for young children.
- The tuners do not last very long before giving out.
1. Mendini 4/4 MV300 Solid Wood Satin Antique Violin
This is the perfect violin for students at a reasonable cost. It comes with a shoulder rest and a beautiful finish that retains the value of the violin. The tuners assist in generating the proper sound for students. The case and warranty make sure that this violin will last for years.
- The fingerboard is comfortable and easy to use.
- The violin is lightweight and easily transported.
- The sound projects further than most models.
- It is a little more expensive than other choices.
- The full size is a little too large for young children.
Which Violin Should You Buy?
Ultimately, the choice of the violin depends on the skill level of the player as well as the age of the student. Younger students will prefer smaller models. On the other hand, teens will prefer full-sized violins. The overall best value is the Mendini 4/4 MV300.
This company has a legacy of satisfied customers of all ages and comes highly recommended by teachers worldwide. The classic design and comfortable feel cannot be topped. Check out the various choices and see for yourself!