In all too many homes, the vacuum cleaner is viewed almost as an afterthought or accessory, but we know that just isn’t true. When it comes to cleaning the home and keeping it in excellent shape, a good vacuum cleaner is as essential an appliance as a top-notch microwave or air conditioning unit.
Manufacturers seem to agree, having produced hundreds of competing vacuum models that are corded or cordless, bagged or bagless, frustrating or effortless.
We’re here to sort through those hundreds of vacuums and present only the 10 best vacuum cleaners options for 2017. Whether you’re cleaning up high-pile carpet or dark, trendy hardwoods, these ten vacuum models will get the job done and get out of the way.
That makes cleaning easier, and it means more time can be dedicated to a bit of rest and relaxation!
Table of Contents
- 10. Shark Navigator Lift-Away Vacuum (NV353)
- 9. BISSELL 9595A Vacuum with OnePass – Corded
- 8. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS 8 Pound Commercial Upright Vacuum
- 7. Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away
- 6. ILIFE V3s Robotic Vacuum Cleaner for Pets
- 5. Shark Rocket Vacuum
- 4. Dyson V6 Cord Free Vacuum
- 3. iRobot Roomba 650 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
- 2. Dyson Ball Multi Floor Upright Vacuum
- 1. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- Which Vacuum Cleaner Did I Buy?
Shark built its brand by initially focusing on cheaper vacuums typically used by college students, but the company has come a long way from those humble beginnings. The Shark Navigator Lift-Away is one of the best vacuums on the market, with a unique lift-away feature that allows for the hose and dust canister to be removed from the vacuum attachment.
It’s never been easier to clean stairwells, furniture, and hard-to-reach spaces. With an optional bonus tool, the vacuum can also easily clean furniture free of pet hair and dander.
- Lift-away design
- Lightweight construction for easy portability
- A very long cord makes for easier, whole-home cleaning
- No multidirectional navigation features
- Limited number of attachments
9. BISSELL 9595A Vacuum with OnePass – Corded
Bissell vacuums are about more than just cleaning up a messy floor. Indeed, the dual-filtration system and cyclonic suction design ensure that more dust and particles are picked up while vacuuming than would be possible with competing models.
The canister also features and easy-empty design that ensures no dirt will be spilled when emptying a full canister into the trash. With a long cord, a durable hose, and a power brush attachment, it’s also easy to clean hard-to-reach spaces and deep-clean drapes or upholstery.
- Bagless design
- Fully washable air filters
- Cyclonic suction for superior cleaning performance
- Limited attachments for cleaning small spaces
- Shorter hose than competing models
8. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS 8 Pound Commercial Upright Vacuum
If the first vacuum brand that always comes to mind is Oreck, it’s probably because of the company’s long history of TV commercials. Oreck is an innovative vacuum cleaner that cleans your hardwood and carpeted surfaces with ease, features a 35-foot cord for maximum flexibility, and includes an innovative handle design for easy navigation and control.
In fact, the Oreck “Helping Hand Handle” design has even received an Ease of Use Commendation from the Arthritis Foundation.
- Innovative handle design for easier vacuum control
- Top-notch suction
- Exceedingly long, 35-foot power cord
- Bagged design can lead to more dust escaping back into the home
- Complete lack of a hose or helpful attachments
7. Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away
the Rotator Lift-Away is Shark’s flagship model and the one that is most popular among consumers. It’s not hard to see why. The Rotator Lift-Away features an all-direction navigation joint that makes swiveling this model a breeze.
The strong suction, wide range of attachments, and lift-away capability also help this model reach into tight corners, small spaces, and elsewhere. Stairs and upholstery are a breeze with the power brush, while small spaces can be taken care of with various hose attachments.
A car kit is also available, making it easy to detail a vehicle and restore it to like-new levels of cleanliness!
- Included car detailing kit
- Lift-away design
- All-direction navigation throughout the home
- A bit heavier than most other Shark vacuums
- Hose is a bit short
6. ILIFE V3s Robotic Vacuum Cleaner for Pets
We can talk about lift-away vacuums or hose attachments for only so long until someone mentions a better way: robots. Robotic vacuum cleaners have been around for a while, and they’re easily the best way to periodically clean up small messes around the home without using any effort at all.
The ILIFE V3s robotic vacuum cleaner wont’ handle the biggest and most challenging messes, but it will certainly rid the home of crumbs, dust, other small debris quite effectively. Best of all, it performs this work all on its own, at convenient hours of the day, which shouldn’t bother anyone except the cat.
- Fully programmable
- Sensors redirect the vacuum back to the task at hand
- Great for pet hair, crumbs, and small debris
- Not great at cleaning up bigger messes
- More effective on hardwood than carpet
5. Shark Rocket Vacuum
Not every vacuum can be a robotic one, nor should it be. When it comes to convenience, however, the Shark Rocket is close to robotic in terms of its efficiency. The vacuum features a 30-foot cord and a “stick” design that helps this model weigh no more than 7.6 pounds.
That’s less than half the weight of most typical vacuums, and it makes the Shark Rocket a perfect fit for hardwood floors and minor messes. A small canister keeps dust and debris held tightly inside the equipment, while a wide vacuum head gets the job done quickly.
- Lightweight design
- Dust cup keeps debris inside
- Upholstery tool and dusting brush keep pet messes at bay
- Not ideal for whole-home cleanup
- Less-than-stellar performance on carpeted surfaces
4. Dyson V6 Cord Free Vacuum
A survey of vacuum cleaner users might easily show that their least favorite part of vacuuming the home is dodging the cord that almost always finds itself in the way. Not so with the Dyson V6 vacuum, which is a cord-free stick model that gets rid of this inconvenience.
The vacuum is an excellent choice for quick cleaning of small messes, with a 20-minute, battery-powered runtime and a stick design that weighs just 4.5 pounds. Usable on both hardwood and carpet, the Dyson performs at its best on solid surfaces and is an excellent tool if you have small children or pets.
- One of the lightest vacuums on the market
- Cord-free design
- Wide clearing path for a stick model
- Small dust cup
- Inconsistent performance on carpet
3. iRobot Roomba 650 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
You can credit iRobot for kicking off the robotic vacuuming craze with the original Roomba, which took the world by storm when it was first released. The Roomba is still around, although it has undergone several iterations that have left it improved, more efficient, and more accurate than in the past.
The current model, the Roomba 650, features a 3-stage cleaning system and can adapt to both carpeted and solid surface flooring types. A series of sensors keep the Roomba on track as it avoids household obstacles.
- Can clean all flooring types
- Sensors keep the Roomba on track
- Programmable cleaning times
- Not great for cleaning larger debris
- Could become the arch nemesis of cats and dogs everywhere
2. Dyson Ball Multi Floor Upright Vacuum
In ranking after ranking of upright vacuums, the Dyson Ball Upright finishes in a strong first or second place. That’s for good reason: The Dyson Ball features excellent suction, easy navigation, compatibility with a massive number of tools and hose attachments, and even employs a HEPA filtration system that leaves the home’s air cleaner than it was at the start.
The dust bin can even be emptied in a way that contains all dust, ensuring that the house stays clean at the end of each vacuuming task.
- HEPA air filtration system
- Ball design for versatile navigation
- Dust-free canister emptying design
- Attachments are a la carte and quite pricy
- Heavy weight compared to similar upright models
1. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
The Hoover Linx is a stick vacuum that performs like a full-size, upright model. It also features a design that would make Apple proud. There’s more than the lightweight, stylish design of this model, however.
The vacuum head features edge-to-edge bristles that leave no carpet fiber unturned, no hardwood plank uncleaned. A cordless, bagless design relies on lithium-ion batteries and gives you the ultimate in flexibility as you clean the home. Finally, the brushes themselves can even be removed from the vacuum for cleaning and maintenance.
- Cordless design
- Removable brushes
- Rechargeable, high-capacity lithium-ion battery system for extended use
- Limited “range” due to cordless design
- 12-amp motor is a bit less powerful than corded, non-stick uprights
Which Vacuum Cleaner Did I Buy?
Whether it’s a lift-away, a stick vacuum, or a robotic model that keeps the house clean and provides an occasional challenge for the household pet, there really is a vacuum for everyone. Choosing the right model depends entirely on the type and size of home being cleaned, the typical kind of mess that needs to be swept up, and your own personal preferences.
Take these things into consideration as you choose between these ten impressive options. Click here to see the one I bought for myself.