Today, kids are starting out younger and younger getting attached to the technological world. Three-year-olds are playing with iPads instead of Barbie dolls, and in place of jumping rope and hopscotch, they’re playing app games like Flappy Bird and Candy Crush.
The earlier you start to instill a love for the outdoors, and athleticism, the healthier and free-spirited your child will be.
Table of Contents
- Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Tricycle For Kids
- The Top 10 Best Tricycles For Kids
- 10. Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle
- 9. TNM All-Terrain Tricycle
- 8. Radio Flyer Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike
- 7. Radio Flyer Grow ‘N Go Flyer
- 6. High Bounce Extra Tall Tricycle
- 5. Roadmaster Duo Deck 10-Inch Trike
- 4. John Deere Mighty Trike
- 3. Radio Flyer 20 Scoot-About Tricycle
- 2. Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle
- 1. Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
- Which Tricycle Should You Buy For Your Kid?
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Tricycle For Kids
Before you get overexcited and purchase the first tricycle you love the look of, there are some important factors to consider during your search. Below are some essential things to have at the front of your mind.
Age and Size
First, you’ll want to consider these two points when buying a tricycle. There’s a tricycle for every age and size, but you should always refer to the product’s description or manufacturer’s guide to ensure it will be the best fit for them. If the tricycle is too small for the kid’s weight, they risk falling off, and if it’s too large, it won’t be a fun ride and won’t get used until they’re bigger. Bear in mind the weight restrictions too, and don’t exceed the limit or your kid’s safety could be in serious danger.
Your kid will be excited with a tricycle that has many features to it. If you have a larget budget, opt for one with more than three wheels and pedals. There are so many varieties available on the market, with cup holders, baskets, handles for mom and dad to push the trike along, and fun accessories. Look into what the available features and add-ons to see if you can inject some excitement and personality to your kid’s new present.
It’s critical that the tricycle is made from high-quality materials that are safe and long-lasting. Look at the materials the product uses. Steel and plastic are two common materials, with the former being stronger than plastic. Bear in mind that steel is prone to rust if its surface gets wet, so consider the weather before leaving the house and invest in a protective cover when the tricycle isn’t in use.
You should also consider the tricycle’s durability because no-one wants their purchase to quickly break. At the same time, think about your kid too. Do they have a heavy hand and tend to easily break things? If so, you should definitely factor in durability. On the other hand, if your kid is gentle and respects their toys, you can take the chance of a hand-me-down tricycle to reduce your budget.
Does your kid love speed or would they prefer to cruise by your side? Although the kid will dictate the speed, the power depends on the tricycle’s built and the pedals’ materials and positioning. For a relaxing ride, the seat will be further back, but for a fast ride, you’ll want to consider intense pedal speeds.
Design and Storage
Convenience is another essential factor because you don’t want to spend a long time dismantling the tricycle when it’s not in use. Are you looking for a portable tricycle that is easy to fold away and carry about? Perhaps you intend on putting it in your car for journeys, or maybe you have enough room to store it in your garage. Either way, choose a design and size that’s appropriate for your needs.
The Top 10 Best Tricycles For Kids
We’ve searched the Internet for the best tricycles for kids and tried to find a wide range in terms of age, materials, design, and budget. Here are the top 10 best tricycles for your kid in 2019 to get his/her need for speed satisfied.
10. Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle
The Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle, Greenie is an excellent choice for your little wild sprite! With removable arms to help keep your child stable while they are first figuring out the ropes of how to ride the tricycle, and a pedal lock to provide the option of allowing your child to freewheel or self pedal, this tricycle allows safety to be the top priority of your baby’s first trike.
It also has a push handle for whoever is looking after your bundle of joy to help steer him or her and keep them on the right track as well as foldable footrests.
- Surround arms keep the child from falling
- Holds up to 44 pounds
- Height Adjustable from 32.5″ to 38″
- Assembly is required
- Is not as durable as metal trikes are
9. TNM All-Terrain Tricycle
The TNM All-Terrain Tricycle is designed classically, with a red body, a thirteen inch front tire, ten-inch rear tires which include ball bearing hubs, and a toe hitch connected to the back of the trike to connect wagons to this simple tricycle is the perfect tricycle for your little darling to get back to basics and enjoy the simple life that you remember so fondly of playing imagination games like speed racer, stuffed animal taxi, and the childhood favorite of mimicking Calvin and Hobbes.
With the TNM All-Terrain Tricycle, all your child’s dreams can come true, and they can fall in love with outdoors activities instead of just hanging cooped up inside all day taped to a computer screen.
- Handles all terrain types with ease
- Simple and classic keeps things simple and easy to use
- Comes with toe hitch to attach a wagon to the back of the tricycle
- No specialty safety features are included in this design
- Pedals spin backward as well as forwards which can be a potential safety risk
8. Radio Flyer Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike
The Radio Flyer Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike has a removable steering handle for the child’s guardian to keep them safe, an adjustable grow-with-me seat made instill the comfort and security for your growing son or daughter, and durable molded wheels this tricycle is made to become a long-lasting part of your child’s life through their growth and development into adolescence.
The tricycle is made of solid steel and also comes equipped with a chrome bell and a storage compartment located between each back wheel where your bundle of joy can keep their favorite toys and belongings.
- Adjustable seat to grow with a child
- Pedals that lock so a guardian can steer for child
- Removable steering handle for a guardian to allow options
- Does not come with any safety straps
- Assembly is required for this item
7. Radio Flyer Grow ‘N Go Flyer
The Radio Flyer Grow ‘N Go Flyer is an awesome tricycle choice for your tumbling tot to get their adventurous spirit started and keep them entertained. With performance grip tread, a weight capacity of 49 pounds, a storage container for his or her favorite plushie friends, toys, and dolls to hang out safely during the child’s adventures.
Made from steel to ensure lasting durability, this tricycle is the perfect beginning for your child. Complete with an adjustable seat that grows with your kid, the Radio Flyer Grow ‘N Go Flyer is built with your kid’s future in mind so that it can not only stand the test of time but always fit your child’s comfort and needs.
- Adjustable frame grows with the child
- Highly durable steel design and structure
- Traction tread keeps the front tire from slipping off course
- Color versatility not available for this item
- Does not ride well on grassy terrain
6. High Bounce Extra Tall Tricycle
Coming in both purple and pink colors, the High Bounce Extra Tall Tricycle has three adjustments back and forth to fit your child dependent on their size so that they can properly reach the peddles even after their first growth spurt.
The High Bounce Extra Tall Tricycle is 2 1/2 inches taller than the typical tricycle to fit with children on the taller than average end of the scale and has EVA tires that are slip-resistant as are the pedals to secure your child’s safety and an easier time for them to learn how to balance thanks to the grip that the slip-resistant wheels and pedals provide for him or her.
- Slip-resistant wheels and pedals for safety and better steering ability
- Adjustable seat to grow with the child
- Made for taller children; perfect for taller than average children
- Made for taller children, so it is not suitable for all children
- Triangle-shaped frame for extra stability
5. Roadmaster Duo Deck 10-Inch Trike
The Roadmaster Duo Deck 10-Inch Trike is made with a ten-inch front rubber wheel and a rust-resistant two-toned powder coat finish meant to provide you with the security that if your child ever forgets to put it up and there comes some heavy rain, the bike will still be perfectly ridable without any specks of rust to compromise the safety, security, and stability of the tricycle and your child’s safety riding it.
Complete with a duo-deck fender located on the back of the trike for another kid to be rolled around on to add in an opportunity for your child to become a social butterfly this tricycle was formed with the absolute best interest of your special kid.
- Adjustable seat to grow with a child
- Rust-resistant in case it is left outside
- Red rubber grips on handlebars for better steering ability
- Chemical smell takes a while to wear off
- Seat is taller than typical tricycles, so might not fit all sizes
4. John Deere Mighty Trike
The John Deere Mighty Trike is the perfect tricycle for a son or daughter who loves collecting the John Deere toy vehicles or has a mommy or daddy with an appreciation for the brand. Not just a name brand tricycle, this trike is built from sturdy tubular steel, so you can rest assured knowing it’s durable.
That’s not all though. It also comes with an adjustable seat and handlebars to properly grow with your child as well as air-filled tires that are mounted on steel wheels. With the front tire measuring thirteen inches from top to bottom, this tricycle is everything your growing boy or girl needs to keep their spirit growing with their body.
- Seat and handlebars both grow with a child
- Durable tubular steel build for a solid structure
- Tires are large with thick treads for better grip
- Does not come with any special safety features
- Prop 65 Warning has been issued for this tricycle
3. Radio Flyer 20 Scoot-About TricycleNo products found.
No products found.
The Radio Flyer 20 Scoot-About Tricycle is a simple model that is low to the ground and technically a four-wheeler. With a sturdy steel frame including a front bumper to protect your other possessions as well as protecting your special tyke from getting in harms way this vehicle is has an adjustable seat that grows with the child as well as glide wheels that roll easily and real steering to help your child learn the basics for riding a bicycle in the future.
Coming complete with tassels and a bell, this classically designed ride will have your child riding in style even as they get taller and heavier throughout their growth.
- Comes with bumper for the safety of possessions and safety of the child
- Wheels are set widely apart for stability as well as safety
- Easy gliding wheels and steering
- Technically not a tricycle because it has four wheels
- Easily outgrown due to small scale
2. Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle
The Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle is a perfect tricycle for kids just figuring out how to explore who get easily tuckered out or fall into daydreaming easily thanks to the push handleability that allows the guardian of the child to keep the child going without much effort.
Made for children ages two to four, this tricycle has three settings for adjustable handles that grow with your child through their most early ages and comes with a controlled turning radius which helps the child balance and leads to higher stability. As well this vehicle is made with steel spokes and classic rubber wheels to ensure a smooth ride for your kid.
- Adjustable handlebars for comfort and safety
- Smooth riding rubber wheels
- Push handle is removable for easy storage
- Trike only comes in the color red
- Tires smell the same as car tires
1. Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
Coming in a wide array of fabulous colors which give your child an opportunity to start expressing their own individuality, the Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike truly is the best tricycle your child could ever have.
Complete with chrome handlebars with grips and long tassels and a bell as well as a real wood deck that comes with the burned-in logo, this tricycle is not only great for safe fun and growth, but it’s also the most stylish tricycle you will ever find.
Featuring a sculpted seat that is adjustable for your child’s comfort and safety alongside a body that is comprised entirely of steel, this high-end trike is perfect for all children.
- Adjustable seat to grow with a child
- Durable steel design and structure
- Includes hand grips for better steering ability
- The seat is fixed more like a big wheel than a typical tricycle
- No push bar is available for a guardian to keep control of the trike
Which Tricycle Should You Buy For Your Kid?
Buying a tricycle is a great way to influence your child so that they get away from computers and video games to get some fresh air and exercise.
The best trikes are always going to be the highly durable ones that can adjust to fit your child’s growth spurt, so take a look at Schwinn and Radio Flyers to secure your child has the best opportunity available. Check out every single product to be sure it fits your own personal standards. Have you found the best tricycle for your kid from our extensive list above? Share your thoughts and feedback in the comments.