OK. So, you have trained relentlessly in order to come out ahead of the pack in this important race. You have done everything by the book, and you are at the starting line feeling optimized and ready.
The front of your new, all-important, starting block is back two steps, and your back pedal is three steps from the start line. Your feet are in position on the block.
Your body and legs, properly angled, feel like a coiled spring ready to propel you forward in that first burst of speed.
Your hands, with your fingers spread, are on the ground. You are in the set position–aware that a split second too soon, and you might be disqualified.
Then it comes; the gun goes off, and you take that first leap forward, pushing yourself off the foot pedals of your block, and reaching forward with your knee, you keep your body angled low in the drive phase…
In addition, as you transition into the acceleration phase of the race, you are feeling great, and you naturally raise the angle of your posture to be more efficient.
You are out in front and smiling because that new block you just bought has made all the difference—you can feel it.
After the race, having come in a winner, you realize that the salesperson was right. Your new block has helped to correct the inefficient block stance you had with your old block and even your projection angle was much better as you pushed off the block.
Your fire was perfect this time!
“Even after all the practice starts I did, I would never have believed that my main problems were coming from my old starting block,” you think to yourself.
Starting in the most effective position was the main point the salesperson drove home when educating you on the reason to upgrade to a better, more efficient piece of equipment. The most important piece of equipment—your starting block.
We’ve reviewed the top 10 best track starting blocks on the market in 2018.
Table of Contents
- 1. Champion Sports Starting Blocks Competition
- 2. Nas Champions Track Starting Block
- 3. All-Star Track and Field Starting Block
- 4. BSN Scholastic Starting Block
- 5. Amber Sporting Goods Universal Starting Block
- 6. Stackhouse Championship Starting Block
- 7. GRAND PRIX Starting Block
- 8. Lightning Starting Block II
- 9. NEWTON’s BEST Starting Block
- 10. Champion Sports Olympic Style Starting Block
- Which Track Starting Blocks Should You Buy?
1. Champion Sports Starting Blocks Competition
Any young athlete or beginning runner will benefit from using the Champion Sports Starting Blocks Competition as the equipment they need to help them learn how to get their longest, possible first stride.
Particularly for beginners, having the right block to hold their feet so they do not slip as they push off, it is important to make sure that the block they use is quality.
This reasonably priced block has all steel construction, is coated with silver powder, and is perfect for all weather tracks, as well as cinder tracks. The Champion Sports Starting Blocks Competition block also has:
- A spring loaded plunger for pedal adjustment and secure locking,
- It’s easy to adjust, and
- It has 6 track spikes and spike wrench for all surfaces.
2. Nas Champions Track Starting Block
If the Nas Champions Track Starting Block was presented as the greatest starting block in the world, but there are a few flaws to consider… would you read any further? I doubt it.
Therefore, let me assure you that the Nas Champions Track Starting Block is not only IAAF certified excellence, but it has a five-star performance, backed by a 5-year warranty.
If that does not get your attention, then consider that this block just happens to be the preferred choice of Coaches because it has everything needed for a great start.
It is durable, made of lightweight aluminum craftsmanship, it is easy to use, and it promotes individual technique for a possible, new personal record (PR). In addition, this block is:
- Adjustable to your hip height and flex response,
- Is 5 inches wide
- Has 4 position pedal angles.
3. All-Star Track and Field Starting Block
Discovering the perfect piece of equipment, as important as a starting block is for a runner, is like finding buried treasure. That is how some runners describe the durable, All-Star Track and Field Starting Block.
Easily adjustable pedals lift and slide on the aluminum frame, making this block readily unique to each runner. It is durable and made of a high-grade aluminum frame that you can feel certain will never rust–regardless of the weather.
All of these features make this starting block one of the premier choices of high school and college coaches.
- It features a 5-year warranty,
- The pedals are 5” wide with easy to move 4-positions, and the rail size is 2.5”, and
- It includes all-weather spikes for synthetic tracks.
4. BSN Scholastic Starting Block
Results in for the BSN Scholastic Starting Block are somewhat mixed. It is an all-aluminum starting block with a slotted, chrome rail for easy pedal adjustment, and it includes 6 track spikes for security.
The pads that come with the block are adjustable to four different angles, and the secure locking pedals have rubber traction pads. This particular starting block seems to work best for very young runners who are light in weight. A highlight of the features and a couple of the cons of this product are as follows:
- It includes 6 track spikes for security,
- The pads are adjustable to 4 different angles, and
- It has secure locking pedals that have rubber traction pads.
- The block angles are sometimes difficult to adjust and are not sturdy, and
- The product is very narrow and not very sturdy, so it limits the runner’s ability to really fire.
5. Amber Sporting Goods Universal Starting Block
The proven Amber Sporting Goods Universal Starting Block is an excellent product for high school and college athletes because it is durable and strong. This block is well built out of power-coated steel with aluminum casting construction.
It is functional, affordable, and engineered to last. It can most often be found in use for training sessions, but many times, it is used in competition as well.
- A left-hand glove,
- Aluminum pedals four-step range, and
- 3 Anchor nails for a firm grip on outdoor tracks.
6. Stackhouse Championship Starting Block
What happens when you use this lightweight aluminum construction starting block is that you find you have discovered a sound, lasting piece of equipment that is perfect for high school and college competition meets.
Since starting blocks are mandatory gear for the start of sprint races, it pays to use the Stackhouse Championship Starting Block. It comes with three, large spikes that you will use to hold the block in place, and this block can also be used on a cinder track.
- 5″ wide 4-position adjustable pedals
- 2.5″ center rail
- Anchor spikes and all-weather spikes are included.
7. GRAND PRIX Starting Block
Also Known as the Grand Prix of starting blocks (pun intended), the GRAND PRIX Starting Block is a solid device made of lightweight aluminum construction and is suitable for both dirt and rubberized tracks.
It is fully adjustable; therefore, it is possible to customize the degree angle so it fits your torso and hip height–allowing you to get the maximum push-off. Some have touted it to be the perfect block to improve your race and increase your speed.
- 5″ Wide Pedals,
- The pedal pad lets the shoe flex, expand, and contract with your feet, and
- It has four, Adjustable Positions.
8. Lightning Starting Block II
An inspiring report on the Lightning Starting Block II came from the coach of a first-year high school track program, and they already gave it five stars!
This block is constructed of lightweight aluminum, with a 2.5” center rail, front and back plates, and included with it are both track and anchor spikes.
- Pedals adjustable to fit your stance
- A one-year warranty on all parts, and
- A100% customer satisfaction guaranteed
9. NEWTON’s BEST Starting Block
Remarkably, NEWTON’s BEST Starting Blocks are displayed at the Smithsonian Institute. Olympic and International athletes laud them as their favorite starting block.
Lightweight and of high quality, these durable blocks are made of all aluminum casting, and the technology from which they are manufactured is patented by Newton.
Colleges and youth track coaches are also frequent users of these blocks, which come with spikes versatile enough to be used on various surfaces.
- They have 5 Pedal Angle Degree Adjustments – 35, 45, 55, 60, and 65 Degrees,
- An easy carry center rail
- They include threads spikes for synthetic surfaces.
10. Champion Sports Olympic Style Starting Block
It is interesting to note that the Champion Sports Olympic Style Starting Block is straightforward to operate, and therefore it is a basic block for beginners.
This is an all-aluminum starting block with nylon bearings that hold the peg on the back foot pedal, and its chrome rail is slotted for easy pedal adjustment.
- It includes 6 track spikes for security,
- It has secure locking pedals with rubber traction pads, and
- It’s pads are adjustable to 4 different angles.
- There is only 1 metal pin that attaches the pedal to the rail, so you may get some play for athletes over 150 lbs.
- The spikes and screws tend to loosen after a while and can begin to fall out.
Which Track Starting Blocks Should You Buy?
Any runner can improve their performance by using a quality starting block because it positions you to get fired out into that all-important drive phase, which can make or break your race.
However, having reviewed these ten blocks it is blatantly obvious that not all starting blocks are the same.
Furthermore, features count and so does construction. Safety is the first consideration, followed by adjustment capabilities because runners are different.
A runner must analyze and be in touch with the block stance in which they feel the most comfortable. Therefore, it is imperative to learn how to do block starts properly, and in order to do that–you need reliable equipment.
Although there are three with similar features that I like, I found the Nas Champions Track Starting Block to be my first choice because it is light, durable, and easy to use, has a great safety record and guarantee, adjusts for the difference in the size of a runner, and has several position choices for the pedal angles.
It has everything an individual runner needs in order to perfect their unique, efficient block stance–making a greater degree of success possible because the runner fires out at their best.
What a waste it is to train as hard as runners have to train and end up losing because of a false start. Make the choice today to take time to investigate these different pieces of equipment we have reviewed for you, and choose the one that is going to put you in the winner’s circle.