Another winter season is just a few weeks away, and it is time to get ready for the season. Every winter brings some equipment get ready in our garage to address the extreme climatic conditions during the season.
The states or localities where snowfall is regular during the season, an equipment to remove the snow from walkways and driveways is mandatory.
The most popular product for removing snow is none other than snow throwers, and everyone who experiences snowfall in their area tries to buy one or repair the existing before the season arrives.
Factors To Consider When Buying a Snow Thrower
Since there are multiple types of equipment with different specifications and features, the buyers always get confused which product can fit their needs accurately.
It is highly important to know the requirements and find the most suitable product as snow throwers are an investment for a couple of years or a few decades.
Electric Snow Blower
These are a lightweight machine that can clear less than 12 inches deep from your driveway and the sidewalk. They’re effective and resourceful since they’re pretty much maintenance-free and you don’t need to change the oil or fill up the gas to operate it.
However, you’ll need an electrical outlet fairly close to where you’ll be using the snow blower for a quick and effective sweep. This is an important consideration to remember since if you don’t have electricity to hand, you can’t use the unit. Plus, you should also purchase a high-quality, weatherproof cord that is suitable to use in cold, wet conditions.
Gas-Powered Snow Blower
Single-stage snow blowers are powered by gas and the simplest and lightest snow blower to operate. They’re equipped with simple features and minimalist accessories since they’re suitable for moderate snow.
If you’re looking for an effective unit to collet snow on your driveway after a moderate snowstorm, this is an ideal choice for you.
One important factor to remember about this type of snow blower is that they should not make contact with gravel surfaces as you can damage your driveway. This particular type of snow blower is suitable for 8 to 12 inches since this amount of depth coincides with the power and height of the unit.
Two-stage Snow Blower
These are the most popular types of snow blowers we’ve discussed so far in this article and should only be operated for snow that measures 18 inches and more.
The two-stage snow blower is a powerful unit and is heavier and sturdier than other units, so it’ll tackle deep to the ground. If you use this on mild snow, you could permanently damage your floor and possibly even injure yourself. This type of snow blower is perfect for deep snow, and it makes the job easier and less strenuous than using other types of units.
Three-stage Snow Blower
Another popular choice is the three-stage snow blower that can scoop up heavy snow and ice at the same time. They also operate at high speeds to make the process quicker and easier. In fact, the device puts most of the work in so you just have to steer it.
As these snow blowers are suitable for extreme weather conditions, they come with various features to make them more user-friendly. This includes heated grips, and single-press controls so you can operate the blower with ease.
In fact, if you experience snow that has turned to ice at the bottom of your driveway, this device won’t have any difficulties obtaining this and clearing it for you.
The Top 10 Best Snow Throwers To Buy
Here, I would like to list out the best snow throwers available in the market.
Table of Contents
- Factors To Consider When Buying a Snow Thrower
- The Top 10 Best Snow Throwers To Buy
- 10. Briggs & Stratton Dual-Stage Snow Thrower
- 9. Husqvarna ST224P Snow Blower
- 8. Snow Joe Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower
- 7. Power Smart DB7103-24 Inch Two Stage Snow Thrower
- 6. Husqvarna ST224 Snow Blower
- 5. Poulan Pro Electric Start Snow Thrower
- 4. Power Smart Two Stage Snow Thrower
- 3. Briggs & Stratton Single Stage Snow Thrower
- 2. Yard Machines 21-Inch Single Stage Gas Snow Thrower
- 1. Husqvarna 2-Stage Electric Start Snow Thrower
- Which Snow Thrower Should You Buy?
10. Briggs & Stratton Dual-Stage Snow Thrower
It is coming in two engine variants, namely 250cc and 208cc, where the former provides 27-inch wide cleaning of snow, and the later offers 24-inch wide cleaning.
Both the models ensure 20-inch intake height and come with electric start option for effortless starting. With just 189 pounds, it looks like small equipment that can be handled easily by even children.
It comes with easy controlling options, including one hand operations, for the users and efficient cleaning around walkways and driveways can be ensured with it.
It also has easy initial setup and uses options with highly useful instruction manual – initial setup can be completed in an hour.
- Excellent cleaning and features like freehand control
- Electric start for effortless start
- Easy assembling and initial set up
- Transmission slips experienced once in a while
- Easily broken plastic parts – not critical parts
9. Husqvarna ST224P Snow Blower
It comes with a 208cc engine and offers electric start in addition to power steering for smooth handling and operations. Since it comes with two-stage snow thrower engine, it can efficiently remove snows up to a height of 12 inches effortlessly.
The equipment that comes with 5-year engine and gearbox warranty removes snow at 24-inch clearing path, and it can also work in uneven terrain like steep slope.
The installation instructions are clear, and people can easily assemble it start working with it without any issues. Overall, it is a fantastic product for whom they are looking for a high-quality snow thrower.
- Smooth operations
- Two-stage snow throwing, power steering, electric start
- Greatly work on steep slopes
- Slightly loud motor
- Not an ideal choice for excessive snowfall areas
8. Snow Joe Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower
It is a complete electric snow blower that is also lightweight, 28.9 pounds. The equipment is an excellent choice for cleaning decks, sideways, and walkways and can run continuously for 50 minutes with a 40 V 4.0 Ah battery.
It’s two rubber blades can clear ways at 18 inches wide and 8 inches deep and has a capacity to remove a maximum of 495 lbs snow per minute.
It comes with only minor assembling requirement as it is almost ready to go. It is an ideal choice for areas where moderate snowfall is expected, and the product is much cheaper compared to other along with no operational costs due to it is electric.
- Lightweight, easy to handle
- Fully electric, environment-friendly
- Less assembling required
- Not a good choice for heavy snowfall
- Not a choice for extensive cleanup, or buy a spare battery
7. Power Smart DB7103-24 Inch Two Stage Snow Thrower
The 6.5 HP engine motor produces 208cc power that can clear driveways and walkways with a width of up to 24 inches and 12 inches depth using a two-stage snow blower.
The customized speed options offer six forward and two backward speed adjustments to ensure smooth handling. It comes with an electric start option for people who do not wish to pull the cord.
The initial assembling and set up is quite easy and can be completed in an hour. It is a perfect choice for heavy snowfall areas or areas with long driveways as it can continuously work for hours.
- A two-stage snow blower for perfect cleaning
- Better speed adjustment options
- Easy assembling options
- The removal speed is found to be average
- People may find controlling a challenge in the initial days
6. Husqvarna ST224 Snow Blower
It comes with 208cc power engine that offers a 24-inch wide cleaning with electric start options and improved handle height adjustment options for smooth operation.
It also has a highly efficient ribbon auger to make sure excellent cleaning and easy speed changing options with respect to the snow conditions in the driveway or walkway. It also offers six-speed transmissions and reverse for efficient operations and cleaning.
Unboxing and assembling of the equipment may take some time but not a very difficult task, especially with the quick start guides with clear diagrams. The equipment is easy to handle and throws light snows more distance; it is an excellent choice for large residential cleanups.
- Easy-handling with speed adjustment choices
- Two-stage cleaning with electric start
- Ideal for heavy snow cleanups
- Not very great with wet snow
- Reverse gear is found to be slow
5. Poulan Pro Electric Start Snow Thrower
Poulan Pro has a strong 254cc power engine with friction disc transmission options for easy handling. The equipment that comes with two-stage cleaning along with electric start option can clean a driveway of 27-inch broad along with a depth handling of 23 inches.
It also has efficient ribbon augers and four handle adjustment positions to make it convenient for everyone in your family.
It is easier to assemble and comes with a redesigned control panel and improved power steering. The manufacturer also provides a 4-year warranty on engine, and it is an excellent choice for areas where excess snowfall is common.
- Improved control panel and power steering for great control
- Height adjustment makes it ideal for different ages
- With enhanced depth, it is an excellent choice for heavy snowfall areas
- Some people may find it less convenient with no throttle feature
- In some rare occasions, chute cable found to be frozen
4. Power Smart Two Stage Snow Thrower
The 6.5 HP engine of the machine produces 212cc, making it a powerful snow thrower for residential purposes, and it comes with a 2-stage snow blower to handle even extreme climate conditions.
You can start it with an electric start or manual starter according to your convenience, and it offers 8 level transmission control that includes six forward and two backward. The blower of the machine allows you to clean 26-inch broad area and goes up to 21 inches deep.
It has easy assembly options, and people can set up it in less than an hour and start working with it. It is easier to work with the equipment, and it is a great choice for heavy snowfall.
- 2-stage snow blower for efficient snow removal
- Easy assembling and set up
- 8 level transmission control options for better control
- No throttle control
- Instruction manual can be more clear
3. Briggs & Stratton Single Stage Snow Thrower
It is a 250cc powerful engine that offers electric start along with 22-inch wide and 12.5-inch cleaning for even high snowfall.
With serrated auger and snow shredder, it ensures efficient snow removal from driveways and walkways. It is lightweight with 98 pounds and easier to handle without any complex working mechanism.
The equipment comes almost assembled, and you can go for an immediate start without many formal procedures. Although it is small compared to other snow throwers in the similar segment, it dominates with greater power, and it is the option for easy and extensive snow clear up from the driveways.
- Almost fully assembled
- Lightweight with great power
- Efficient cleaning with customized snow shredder and serrated auger
- Single-stage snow throw
- Limited equipment and engine warranty
2. Yard Machines 21-Inch Single Stage Gas Snow Thrower
It is a super cool small equipment which comes with a 123cc engine that can clean 21-inch wide and 13-inch deep area and provide excellent traction options even tougher winter conditions.
The product is lightweight with 58 pounds and can be operated easily without any issues. With the almost assembled condition, the users do not want to put their efforts to make the initial set up.
The snow thrower is an excellent choice for light to moderate snowfall and produces fast operations for quick results. The manual chute control of the equipment ensures easy adjustment of snow removal direction according to your choice.
- Simple and easy to use device
- Highly economical and fast operation
- Limited assembling required
- No electric start option
- Single-stage snow thrower
1. Husqvarna 2-Stage Electric Start Snow Thrower
It is an excellent device for extreme climate conditions and heavy snowfall as the engine comes with 254cc power and ensures two-stage snow removal. The equipment can clear 27-inch broad path and snow accumulations in the range of 2-12 inch.
Additionally, it comes with electric start, improved ribbon augers, power steering, effortless friction disc transmission, and more.
The snow thrower comes with some assembling needs, and it can be completed within 10 minutes. It offers six different speed options and a reverse gear. Altogether, it is an ideal choice for great snow removal during extreme climate conditions.
- High power engine and two-stage snow removal
- Electric start
- Easy installation
- Little heavy product
- Drive handle should have better designed
Which Snow Thrower Should You Buy?
While investing in a snow thrower, you have to keep in mind that it should be an investment for a quality product that can deliver your needs, long-lasting. You should also consider the usability factor and price point to filter the product range.
Husqvarna 254cc is an excellent choice in most cases as it can be used for heavy and moderate snow removal. It delivers great power, easy installation, effortless use, and more and can complete snow removal from long driveways in a few minutes. It is a perfect equipment for anyone who has a busy life and needs quick snow removal.