We have all been there: you’re driving down the road and you need the GPS on your phone but there’s nowhere to put it so you keep looking down at your lap trying to figure out where in the world you’re headed. Yeah, we know the story, but there’s an easy solution! The best smartphone car mount!
There are so many different types out there though they mainly attach to your dashboard, windshield, air vent or CD player (if you still have one!). Some of the main things to look at when shopping around are how it connects to the car, is it movable for different angles, is it easy to attach and remove your phone, and how it attaches to your phone.
Some other things to consider are the type of car you have and whether it boasts the right areas to hold whichever mount you choose.
For example, you shouldn’t choose a CD player to mount if you don’t have a CD player. Or maybe you have round vents- then a vent mount wouldn’t be a good choice since most of them only work with horizontal vents. We have done most of the work for you and have found the best 10 car mounts. There’s something here for anyone! Check them out below!
10. WizGear Universal Air Vent Phone Car Mount
This universal phone car mount clips directly onto the air vent and uses magnets to hold the phone to it without even having to clip anything around your phone. Just throw it up there and go.
It will hold any smartphone- Android and iPhone alike. Not only is it really completely universal, it swivels as well to meet all your needs in the car. Since it does work off of a magnetic system, there is a flat pad that will fit in the back of your phone.
Most users put it in between their case and the phone so it is hidden out of sight. If you don’t have a case, however, you could certainly just stick it to the back of your phone.
- No clips
- Magnetic hold
- Swivels without moving the base
- Super affordable (under $10!)
- Do have to stick something to the back of your phone
- Does interfere with wireless charging due to the magnetic quality
9. Beam Electronics Universal Car Mount
This smartphone mount from Beam Electronics clips into the air vent and holds your phone with side clips and a bottom support. However, it does have a quick release button on the back of the unit to save you time and frustration.
It even rotates 360 degrees so you can see your phone no matter what angle you need. Though it is pretty much universal to all common smartphones (even Nokia!), it will only hold a width between 1.9 and 3.7 inches. There are no tools need to install and you can even clip your phone up with one hand- it’s that easy! And don’t worry, Beam Electronics offers a 1-year warranty on this product.
- Quick release button
- No tools need/quick install
- 1 year warranty
- Rotates 360 degrees
- Will only hold a width between 1.9 and 3.7 inches
- Does not fit round air vents
8. Vansky 3-in-1 Universal Car Phone Mount
This car phone mount by Vanksy can be mounted 3 different ways: on the air vent, dashboard, or windshield. The freedom to put it wherever you need it is a huge advantage and makes this mount very universal and versatile.
There are no tools required for its installation and the push of one button allows for easy release of your phone. In addition to all the ways you can mount it, it also comes with full 360-degree rotation. It has soft padding to prevent damage to the phone, while still being able to accommodate any smartphone between 2.6-3.8 inches wide.
That’s big enough to even fit the plus sized smartphones! And if that wasn’t enough, Vansky offers a 45-day money back guarantee and a one-year hassle-free guarantee.
- Can be mounted 3 different ways
- 360-degree rotation
- Will hold larger smartphones too such as the iPhone 8 plus
- The suction cup feature might not attach to some textured surfaces
- Some have had issues with their phone fitting but being too heavy with the case
7. Mpow CD Slot Car Phone Mount
This universal car phone mount from Mpow fits right into your CD slot which locates the phone n a convenient place for easy access. Just set your phone in the grips, squeeze in the sides and go! To release, just press the side button for quick and easy access.
It pivots to various angles and offers 360-degree rotation. Additionally, it does fit wider devices- even some GPS systems! And no worries, it allows you access to the headphone jack and charging port. Mpow believes in its product, too, that’s why they offer a 45 day money back guarantee if you’re not completely satisfied with their product.
- Easy release button
- 360 degree rotation
- Access to the headphone jack and charging port
- 45-day money back guarantee
- May not fit a larger device with a case on
- Will not work for cars that do not have a CD player
6. Jahmai Car Phone Mount
The Jahmai car phone mount is easy to use thanks to its smart gravity design. Just put your phone in or take out with one hand and the clamp will do the rest of the work automatically.
The clamps have soft rubber mats that make them slip-proof and shock-proof that prevent damage on both your air vents and your phone. This mount has 360-degree rotation and works with any smartphone that has a 4-6 inch screen.
- Smart gravity design
- Slip-proof and shock-proof
- 360 degree rotation
- Will not work with a thickness greater than 10mm
- Can not use it horizontal due to the gravity design
5. Bosynoy Cell Phone Dashboard Car Mount
Not only does this dashboard mount from Bosynoy work for almost all smartphones, it also works for most GPS systems. It has triple reinforcement to the dashboard for a solid grip, but one touch release to still maintain usability.
There are no blind spots created by this mounting for safe driving. It can be moved to different vehicles due to the adhesive silicone film that can be washed and reused. And if all this wasn’t enough, the clamps are soft textured mats to prevent damage to your phone and will not press the volume or lock buttons.
- Sunshine resistance
- Triple reinforcement mounting
- No blind spots when mounted
- Soft textured mats
- Phone only clips in horizontal
- Will not work with the curved dashboard or steeply slanted windshields
4. Redshine Automatic Locking Vent Car Mount
Redshine’s phone car mount goes directly in your air vent and then automatically locks when you pop your phone. The same goes for taking your phone out- it will automatically release! It also uses a slip-proof clip and soft rubber clamps to hold your phone in place without damages.
This mount by Redshine withhold smartphones with a 4-6 inch screen and won’t block your charging port. That’s important because music and GPS really drain your phone! And as if they hadn’t thought of everything else, Redshine also offers a 100% money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied with their product. But how could you not love this one with the adorable face!
- Accessible charger port
- Automatic lock and release
- 100% money back guarantee
- Does not work with some cases
- Can slip off vent if it’s not shaped or secured right
3. iOttie OneTouch 4 Dashboard/Windshield
IOttie brings some competition to the game with their OneTouch 4 car phone mount. It mounts on your dashboard or windshield and has a telescopic arm that rotates 225 degrees for maximum accessibility.
With the universal mounting and easy one-touch lock and release, this is a great buy. Additionally, iOttie gives a 1-year hassle free warranty on all their products!
- Telescopic Arm
- One touch lock and release
- 1-year hassle free warranty
- The mounting disc is a one-time use piece- to move, you would have to order more separately
- Creates a small blind spot if mounted in certain places on the dash
2. Torras Magnetic Phone Car Mount
This phone car mount by Torras is magnetic and a has 360-degree rotation for maximum usability. It can hold phones with a 4-6.5 inch screen and as heavy as 1 pound, 1.5 ounces.
hese are great quality with neodymium magnets, adhesive glue made by 3M and even comes with two magnet sheets. Best of all, it doesn’t take up much room and Torras offers a 1-year guarantee on this product!
- High quality
- 360 degree rotation
- No clips due to the magnetic nature
- 1 year guarantee
- Cannot stick to a leather surface without damage
- Will not work through a two layer case (hard shell plus soft shell)
The magnetic phone car mount by Maxboost slips right into your air vent and the magnetic sheet slips right into the back of your phone or in between your phone and the case. Since it does require adhesion to your phone or case, it comes with a protection film to prevent any damages.
It’s easily removable and fits in your glovebox when not in use. This mount also has a highly flexible rotation and comes with a 1-year warranty for your peace of mind.
- Most affordable (2 for under $10!)
- Protection film to prevent damage
- 1 year warranty
- Magnets will interfere with wireless chargers
- Will not work through some very thick cases
So which one should you choose?
We love the WizGear Air Vent Phone Mount because it is widely versatile no matter what phone or vents you have. Though it might not fit in every situation, it does a great job for most.
Additionally, it is low profile, sleek, and holds your phone without using any clamps. What’s not to love? Go get one!