Skateboarding is at an all time high, the popularity over the last 50 years has increased dramatically, now being recognised as an extreme sport and featuring as one of the new sports of the 2020 Olympics. Due to popular demand, skating brands and sponsors are creating awesome new equipment to help skaters ride a lot smoother. In this article we will be reviewing the best skateboard wheels.
So how do you know what wheels to buy? Even though the typical skateboard looks quite a simple object, it’s a very complex piece of engineering. Features include a variety of wheels to suit all skateboarding needs, as there are many different ways of riding a skateboard, street, vert or downhill speed skating.
street skating is a form of skating that uses the street as your skate park, whether its grinding a steep 10 stair down rail, or a simple ollie up a curb, the wheels that you need require around 101-110 durability rating, they tend to be a little thinner that vert/transition wheels, as this will help with your reverts, grinds and the landing of your flat ground tricks as you won’t get stuck to the floor, like you can with stickier wheels.
This style of skating encompasses the use of a half pipe or mini ramps. Whether you’re skating a 12ft vert or a 4ft mini ramp, the wheels with less durability are definitely worth it for you, 94-100 durability. If you are going to slip out of a trick on the mini ramp, these wheels will help keep your board under your feet. Harder to revert, but still doable.
Speed skating is usually performed on a longboard, which require a much bigger diameter of wheels. The bigger the wheel, the faster you go. These wheels will have a higher abec rating, holding more bearings, inevitably making you ride a lot faster. You can either go for the durable wheels, which will help you stop more stylishly with a revert but you will tend to slip out if you’re going fast round a sharp corner. Or you can go for the less durability wheels which will stick to the floor a lot more when you’re turning a sharper corner, better for beginners.
Professional Skaters and Equipment
Skateboarders have even become a household name, i’m sure you’ve heard of Tony Hawk? The legendary vert skater that won almost all vert competitions in the 90s, producing the first ever 900 degree spin on a vert ramp. Tony hawk really made skateboarding a phenomenon when releasing his first ever ‘TONY HAWK PRO SKATER’ game on console, alongside the launch of his skate company, ‘BirdHouse Skateboards’. Famous for their wider than usual boards, perfect for the vert ramp. The ideal wheel for him would be the Bones wheels with Bones Red bearings, ideal for speed and comfort when sticking a backside air. Or have you heard about Rodney Mullen? Hitting the scene in the 90s, with his crazy street skating wizardry, really showcasing what’s possible on a skateboard. The amount he flips his board, he’d have needed a much more durable wheel, really helping him revert when he lands a frontside kick flip. Then there are the more contemporary skateboarders like Nyjah Houstan, Chris Cole and … you name it! The wheels they use will need to master all techniques of skateboarding, using a more durable wheel will allow them to perform an all-round brilliant performance.
The thrill of skating is incredible. The speed, the pace, the balancing, all combine to create an amalgam of experience that justifies some of our addiction to it.
Whether you are a roller skater, inline skater or the incredible adventurous skater the joy in skating is unbelievable.
Nonetheless, the whole issue of skating requires some training and consistency. For beginners, the issue of their weight and height is supposed to be interpolated by the features of the skating wheels.
For an expert like me, aspects of skating wheels such as durability, diameter, and shape are significant for the speed oriented rolling that we crave for.
Skateboard wheels are the most important component in determining the speed that one intend to move with. They come with different features such as strength and durometer. They are made of a material called Polyurethane, which has been known to be harder.
The other important feature is the diameter of the wheel which is usually measured in mm. The skaters who are not averse with speed, and thrill in tricks the smaller wheels of 50-53 diameter are the ideal choice. They are a natural choice in skating in streets, small rides and skating parks.
For the speed masters with ample space at their disposal, larger wheels are a natural choice as they give more control, balance and great speed. They come in the sizes 0f 60mm upwards. They are basically for specialty riders and are made for rough surfaces.
Beginners, on the other hand, need medium wheels. The other feature of color is determined by the personal preference and does not affect the ride physically, but emotional attachment to personal preference cannot be assumed in this behavioral age.
I will, therefore, try to look at the different, but top 10 best skateboard wheels in 2019 with their different features to be able to deduce what kind of wheel is ideal for the different type of skating experience and also to determine therein the basis that can help skaters in making the right buying decision.
Table of Contents
- Street skating
- Vert/Transition skating
- Speed skating
- Professional Skaters and Equipment
- 10. Blood Orange Morgan Pro Series
- 9. Remember Collective Hoot Freeride Wheel
- 8. Spitfire Bighead Skateboard Wheels
- 7. Sector 9 Nine Ball 69Mm 78A
- 6. Bones Skateboard Wheels
- 5. Penny 59mm Skateboard Wheels
- 4. Sector 9 Slide Butterballs 80a 65mm Longboard Wheels
- 3. Sector 9 Butterball 65Mm
- 2. Bones STF Street Tech Formula Skateboard Wheels
- 1. Powell Peralta Rat Bones Re-Issue Skateboard Wheels
- Which Skateboard Wheels Should You Buy?
10. Blood Orange Morgan Pro Series
These wheels have an incredible shape. The wheel has three line ups each with its unique characteristics of design and quality. All the three types are made using the LMF formula that has been approved for its durability and top notch quality.
These amazing Bloods Orange Morgan skateboard wheels are made with a diameter of 65mm. The wheels are beneficial to specialty riders whom appetite for skating is fulfilled by speed. Regarding durability, the wheel is top notch and incredibly long lasting because of the 82A durometer that has been used.
- Ride control and balance when skating
- Their diameter boosts speed
- They are adapted to rough terrain and down hills
- Wheels not ideal for shorter rides
- The wheels also are not ideal for starters and trainees.
- The colors are still limited
9. Remember Collective Hoot Freeride Wheel
These wheels are the incredible speed genius and are really awesome hoot that really is a hoot by all aspects. Their unique design of slightly rounded beveled lip is very appealing and indeed a masterpiece of art. These skating boards come with a perfect diameter of 70 mm that is an elevated sense of an ideal speed genius.
The fact that the hoots use an inbound urethane makes them even stronger, noting also the sugary lining that is a tenable guarantee of a smooth riding. The wheels flavors are also uniquely named; awesome indeed, they are categorized into avocado green, lemon yellow, and bubblegum pink. They also have a 38mm contact patch.
- Comes in different colors of green, pink and yellow
- Standard and reasonable price, currently at $34
- Ideal diameter for high speed
- Smooth riding in long haul skates
- Durable because they are made of durometer of 80a
- Suitable for rough terrain
- Colors still limited.
- Not suitable for short distance skates
8. Spitfire Bighead Skateboard Wheels
These wheels come in various sizes ranging from 48 mm to 63 mm. They are also available in different shape and color. They are also sold in a set of four making their prices all time amazing and affordable.
They are also made of a urethane material. They are championed as the first hand made wheels in the USA making it possible to adapt them to the dynamism of skating such as speed and balance making them extremely popular.
- Offers a perfectly smooth and a high-speed ride
- Wheels do not flat spot
- Very durable and therefore do not wear and tear easily.
- Accommodate different preferences and therefore are flexible.
- Comes in different formulas and colors
- Prices are categorized making them affordable
- Are sold in set of fours
- Not ideal for very rough terrain
- Best wheels in the flavor like formula four are worth more dollars than their counterpart.
7. Sector 9 Nine Ball 69Mm 78A
These wheels have a diameter of 69 mm. Their contact patch is 49mm. They have a durability of 78a. The materials incorporated are high quality and tested urethane. They are available in various colors but mainly red.
- Ideal for medium rough terrains especially parks and skating streets
- Durable because they use a special formula
- Are available in different colors
- Ideal for speed as they have a good diameter.
- Ideal for maintaining balance as the contact patch is bigger than many contemporaries
- Suitable for beginners of enhanced contact patch
- Not very efficient in very rough terrain as the durometer is lower than many contemporaries
- Wheels said to flat spot easily
6. Bones Skateboard Wheels
They have an awesome appearance and therefore are favorites for aesthetic fans. They come with a diameter of 51mm and have a hardness of street tech formula of waxy white which is also the basis of its hardness. The contact patch is 28mm.
- Bones wheel are ideal for smooth rides
- They do not flat spot easily
- They don’t fade easily as waxy white color is known not be unsusceptible to stains
- Incredible skating hoots for streets.
- They have a warranty to instill confidence to the buyer.
- No color varieties to choose from.
- Not suitable for starters
- Contact patch smaller, less balance and not ideal for long haul skates and rough terrain.
5. Penny 59mm Skateboard Wheels
These wheels are just but catching and speedy memory of the 1970s when they became popular. They come in an incredible 14 colors of orange, red, solid yellow, solid green and last of all white amongst others.
The wheels have a diameter of 59 mm. The price of these wheels is also exceptionally lower than its contemporaries. The wheel has a durometer of 78a.
- Ideal for beginners
- Perfect balance
- Suitable for all kinds of people including the overweight, therefore, encouraged for weight management
- Available in different colors
- Tried, tested and continuously modernized
- Not ideal for rough terrain
- Medium durability
- Not ideal for speed
4. Sector 9 Slide Butterballs 80a 65mm Longboard Wheels
These wheels come in the set of four and are the ideal beasts for riding and sliding. It has a durability of 80a and uses the Polyurethane material which has been tested and tried to be hard.
The diameter of the wheel is 65 mm making it ideal for long haul terrains. The wheel also has a perfect contact patch of 38mm which makes balancing possible at high speed.
- Durable and long lasting
- Ideal for tough terrain
- Perfect balance
- Available in different sets
- Do not flat spot easily
- Not ideal for beginners
- The contact patch is smaller for street skating
- Have not availed many brands
3. Sector 9 Butterball 65Mm
These advanced sliding and skating butters have a diameter of 65mm and a durometer of 80a. The contact patch is 38mm. The product also comes with the set of four like the previous series.
Their urethane that is used is butter based, and the best thing about them is that even when they are broken in, they still slide easily.
- Fast rolling speed because the diameter is big
- They are consistent in sliding and are also very smooth
- Their prices are also affordable noting that they are of very high quality.
- Their contact patch is ideal for sliding at fast speeds
- Not ideal for starter
- Not very suitable for skate parking
- Leaves thane lines behind
2. Bones STF Street Tech Formula Skateboard Wheels
This wheel has a diameter of 52mm and a contact patch of 34mm. It has one of the best hardness since it uses STF tested and tried technology of 83B. The wheel, therefore, has a very high resistance and therefore does not flat spot easily. The wheel is suggested for streets, and its wheel surface is threaded.
- Very hard and durable
- Very adaptive to smooth rides
- Balance adopted to slow speed in streets
- Standard color
- Not suitable for high speed
- No different color and shape variety to choose from
1. Powell Peralta Rat Bones Re-Issue Skateboard Wheels
Stylish, elegant and high quality is the single most first impressions. They are designed with a great deal of high degree of precision.
They have a very nice durability with a record durometer of 85a, unmatched in this category.it also have the best contact patch for speedy wheels with a width of 44mm. The diameter of the wheel is 60mm.
- Strongest durability
- Ideal diameter for speed
- Nice contact patch for great balance in high speed
- Highly adapted t rough terrain
- Not ideal for streets and parking
- Not ideal for beginners
Which Skateboard Wheels Should You Buy?
For those who are thrilled by the entertainment experience of the skating, most flavors of Spitfire Bighead skateboard wheels, as well as the butter series, are idyllic for the best experience because of the diameter of 53 that is adapted to street skating.
The adventurous skaters are however spoilt for choices, and I would recommend the bones series because it doesn’t flat spot easily and come with a warrant.
The other one would be the Powell Peralta Rat Bones RE-issue skateboard wheels, which have the best durability speed and high contact patch encouraging great balance.
To get some of these amazing products kindly log in into amazon.