Ready to upgrade or replace your old sewing machine? You probably already have a general idea of what you need but with so many different brands available, how do you choose from among them?
Clear up any confusion or doubts by considering the type of sewing you’ll be doing most, and then pick a machine from the following list. The research has been done for you, all you need to do now is read the stats and choose.
All were found on Amazon and chosen for their functionality, durability, and price. You wouldn’t be reading this review if you didn’t need or want a new Serger sewing machine, and chances are the one you’re looking for is on this list.
Considering the money that can be saved by repairing something rather than replacing it, the cost of a new sewing machine feels much less. Serger machines are sensible investments that put the joy back in a sewing project.
Below we’ve reviewed the top 10 best Serger sewing machines on the market in 2018.
Table of Contents
- 10. Brother Designio Series DZ1234 Serger
- 9. Juki 1-Needle Overlock Machine
- 8. Brother 3234DT Thread Serger
- 7. Janome 8002D Serger
- 6. JUKI MO644D Portable Serger
- 5. Brother 2340CV Cover Stitch
- 4. Janome 1000CPX Cover Pro
- 3. Juki MCS-1500 Cover Stitch
- 2. SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish Serger Sewing Machine
- 1. Brother 1034D 3/4 Thread Serger
- Which Serger Sewing Machine Should You Buy?
10. Brother Designio Series DZ1234 Serger
Packed with features, and sensibly priced, the Brother Designio is a good household sewing machine. Fabric feed can handle any type of material including lightweight knits, and color-coded threading takes the frustration out of trying to guide thread through to the all the right places.
Being able to adjust stitch width from 3.0mm to 7.0mm means beautiful, neat lines of stitching no matter what your project or material is.
- Custom stitches are a nice touch for garments or decorative projects.
- Differential feed is very user-friendly.
- Whatever you dream up, this Serger can make into reality.
- Must have 120V AC access for power.
- Customer service needs improvement.
9. Juki 1-Needle Overlock Machine
Able to produce 1500 stitches in 60 seconds, the Juki 1-Needle leaves its competition far behind. The needle plate is built-in so there is no need to change it for rolled hems, and stitch length as well as cutting width are both adjustable.
This serger sewing machine has no problem with the latest in fashionable materials and threads so there’s no reason your wardrobe or home décor can’t stay up to date with a sewing machine like this to keep you in style.
- Durable and quiet.
- 3-Thread for overcasting (2-thread adaptor available.)
- Knife cutting mechanism is easy to disengage.
- Design of left foot lifter isn’t very user friendly.
- 2-Thread adapter can be tricky to use.
8. Brother 3234DT Thread Serger
Brother is a well-known name in the sewing machine business and this 3234DT Thread Serger is a good example of how they came by their excellent reputation. If your aim is a more professional, polished look for hand-made items, this serger is how you get what you want.
Able to work with up to 4-threads, on any material including knits or woven fabrics there isn’t much this machine can’t do as far as sewing goes.
- Threading is color coded.
- Video as well as printed instructions are provided.
- Because it uses standard needles no specialties are required.
- Differential feed can be difficult.
- Large table is convenient but can be awkward and get in the way.
7. Janome 8002D Serger
There are a lot of options waiting for you in the Janome 8002D Serger. The built-in rolled hem feature needs no plate change, and color-coded threading charts take all the frustration out of changing from one to another.
With up to 4-thread operation, stitching has a beautiful, professional look to it. The durability of this sewing machine and its precision stitching makes it more than worth looking into and possibly adding to your sewing arsenal.
- Quiet as a whisper.
- Higher than average presser foot lifter makes thicker fabrics easier to work with.
- Generous bonus bundle.
- Video is explicit but sound quality is poor.
- Needle threader can be challenging for larger hands.
6. JUKI MO644D Portable Serger
4-thread capability could be confusing to some but not with this multiple thread serger. Color coding combined with a breakaway looper makes threading so easy, all you need is open eyes to get the job done quickly and easily.
The upper knife is easily moved to keep your fingers safe, and stitch length is adjustable for a neater appearance on any type of fabric.
- Stitch length and differential feed are easily accessed on the left side when cloth bed is open.
- Rolled hems are automatic.
- Features a multi-purpose foot that has no problem with material type, tape, or elastic.
- Tension is difficult to adjust correctly.
- Thread tower isn’t as stable as it could be.
5. Brother 2340CV Cover Stitch
Let technology help you sew up a dream with this serger machine. It can handle many different types of stitches on any kind of fabric and features easy, color-coded looper threading.
Stitch adjustment only needs the turn of a dial, and snap on feet with differential feed allows the user to determine how fast fabric feeds through.
- 3-needles and one looper thread helps you create hems with a professional polish.
- Chain stitch function turns out perfect t-shirts.
- With a speed of 1100 stitches per minute, your project is finished sooner rather than later.
- The information booklet provided is not clear enough.
- Removing fabric can be difficult and frustrating.
4. Janome 1000CPX Cover Pro
Meet Janome 1000CPX Cover Pro, a sewing enthusiasts best friend. Designed with the options of both industrial and home sewing machines in mind you could regret skipping this one.
The useful bonus kit includes an adjustable seam guide, narrow elastic gathering foot, and a wide gathering attachment. No matter how complicated, or easy your project may be this machine will help you turn out the kind of work you can be proud to wear or show anywhere.
- Considered the most advanced cover hem machine of its kind.
- Exclusive free-arm design.
- Fast and durable.
- It does the job, but you must really watch the fabric because of the speed.
- Now and then inside stitches are skipped.
3. Juki MCS-1500 Cover Stitch
Anyone serious about sewing is going to love this Juki and what it can do. It features a cover stitch for flawless sleeve cuffs, necklines, and hems.
It’s perfect for stretch fabrics because stitching is “stretchable,” and with adjustable differential feed the user decides how fast fabric is fed through. With a presser foot higher at the tip, fabric is smoothly inserted so you don’t have to struggle with delicate fabric and risk damaging it.
- Exterior thread cutter is very useful.
- Presser foot guide presses both side of the fabric for a neater appearance.
- Looper is so easy to use, it is lowered with the single press of a button.
- Tends to cause tunneling on lighter material.
- Frequent rethreading and tension adjustments are required to prevent tunneling on lighter fabric.
2. SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish Serger Sewing Machine
This Singer Serger Sewing Machine is a treasure trove of useful functions, all designed to help you make every project a masterpiece. With such a wide variety of stitches, including built-in rolled hems, plus adjustable stitch length and width available the possibilities of this dream machine are endless.
Time saved with multiple thread capability on even the most delicate fabric leaves you feeling the satisfaction of a job very well done.
- Produces 1300 stitches per minute and comes with automatic fabric trimming.
- Optional free arm makes sleeves and cuffs an easy job.
- Singer back this serger sewing machine with a 25-year, limited warranty.
- Suction cups don’t hold the machine in place as well as they should.
- Trouble shooting guide isn’t very helpful.
1. Brother 1034D 3/4 Thread Serger
Chances are when you use this Brother Thread Serger people are going to be asking where you “bought” your outfit. Knits, silks, or linens, all are safe with this sewing machine and with 22 stitch options available it’s possibilities are only limited by the imagination.
Adjustments are not complicated with such a user-friendly design, including snap on presser feet for fast, easy changes when transition is desired.
- LED puts the light where you need it most.
- Color coded threading guides and lower looper saves time and frustration.
- Operating manual and DVD are provided in English and Spanish.
- Needle plate is not attached by screws.
- Original needle plate is 2-pieces, replacement part is a single piece of metal.
Which Serger Sewing Machine Should You Buy?
Hopefully you just saved valuable time on research and found the serger sewing machine you’ve been looking for. Some have more options than others, but all are quality serger products worth owning.
My personal favorite is # 2, the Singer 14CG754 Pro-Finish. I like the possibilities of an optional free arm, and the 25-year warranty is worth considering too.