Routers are used in many career fields but the one of the fields that uses it the most is carpentry. There are so many things that a table router can help you with.
For example, they can help you form a pattern out of pieces of wood. Since this piece of machinery is large, it’s great for big pieces of material that a handheld router can’t quite get. Another thing that router tables are great for is making little grooves and slots.
Whether these grooves or slots are so you can connect another piece of material to it or just for decoration, this machine will make it happen quickly and easily.
In terms of what to look for when buying a router table, there are a few things that can help you with this decision. For starters, you want to find one that is flat and solid on top.
Next, you want to make sure the base plate is stiff and flat. The third thing to look for is miter and t-slots. You also want to find one that has a fence that’s easy to position and accurate. Finally, you want to find a table that has a very sturdy base.
The Benefits of Using a Router Table
Before we share the top 10 best router tables on the market right now, let’s discuss some of the benefits of owning one to help with your decision-making.
Quick and Effective
Perhaps the most beneficial reason to own a router table is that they increase the speed you work at so you can work on an array of projects, no matter the difficulty. Although the overal precision and result depends on the user’s skillset and patience, a router table can definitely improve the overall appearance.
This is possible because you can quickly move the wood without being concerned about a poor results because once you’ve started, the rest of the design will follow suit. As a result, this is ideal for projects when you have limited time and need excellent precision.
Achieves Different Cuts on Materials
Woodwork involves working on many different projects with a variety of materials. Thankfully, a router table can cater for all of these differences to improve your work conditions. Sometimes, making certain cuts with a handheld router can be challenging since their shapes are fixed to particular lines and patterns.
By using a router table, you can create a variety of slots, cuts, grooves, and much more, so if you like to produce complex and exciting designs, this device will help you to achieve your goals and desired results.
Also, a router table gives you the option to produce a high-depth cut which is much more difficult than when you use a handheld router. Consequently, you can modify cuts wherever and whenever you want to produce smooth edges and well-defined pieces.
The Top 10 Best Router Tables To Purchase
Now that you’re aware of the advantages of owning a router table, let’s take a look at the best devices on the market right now. We’ve reviewed the top 10 best router tables on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- The Benefits of Using a Router Table
- The Top 10 Best Router Tables To Purchase
- 10. MLCS Woodworking FLATBED Horizontal Router Table
- 9. Craftsman Router Table Combo
- 8. Craftsman Router Table
- 7. Skil Router Table
- 6. Kreg PRS1040 Precision Router Table
- 5. Bench Dog ProTop Contractor Benchtop Router Table
- 4. Kreg Bench Top Router Table
- 3. Bosch RA1171 Cabinet Style Router Table
- 2. Bench Dog Tools 40-102 ProMax Cast Iron Router Table
- 1. Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table
- Which Router Table Should You Buy?
10. MLCS Woodworking FLATBED Horizontal Router Table
This first router table not only makes things like fences unnecessary, but you also don’t have to worry about having wide materials hanging far off the edge. This router table also has adjustable height bits.
This means you can put it at the exact height you need. It also has 1/16 of an inch per turn, which makes all the measurements extremely precise. The core itself is 3/4″ and the router plate is 3/8″ thick.
Not only does this mean that the machine is extremely sturdy, but it also means that you will be able to accurately take care of any project you might have.
- You can adjust the bit height
- Since it’s 1/16 of an inch per turn, the measurements are very precise
- It comes with a 4 bit set
- When you get the table, the instructions for setting up are a little vague so you might have some difficulties
- 2 of the hex bolts that hold in the mounting plate can sometimes grind when being used
9. Craftsman Router Table Combo
This router table is awesome because it comes with a router. It also includes a 1/4″ collet, wrench, fence, dust guard, feather boards, and miter gauge. The router has a 9.5 amp and a 1 3/4 motor that runs at around 27,000 RPMs.
Another great thing about this table is it has a total of 334 square inches which means you don’t have to worry about running out of space. This model also has a double outlet right on the table so you can plug in other tools. It has a safety lock over the outlets, which is great if you have kids.
- It has a port where the dust is taken out
- The miter gauge can be adjusted up to 60 degrees in both directions
- There is a height adjustment on top of the table
- Some people have had issues with 1/4″ bits fitting
- There have been some issues with parts breaking
8. Craftsman Router Table
This table has 334 square feet, which is great for large projects. In addition, the miter gauge can adjust to 60 degrees in both directions. This table also has 3 insert rings with the following diameters: 1 1/4 inches, 1 1/2 inches, and 1 3/4 inches.
There is also a port for dust collection that is 2 1/4 inches. The great thing is that you can hook up a wet/dry vac to suck the dust right out. This table, similar to others, has an above the table adjustment for height. The fence can extend to a full 23 5/8 inches so you don’t have to worry about a project being too big.
- The fence extends much farther than others
- You can use a wet/dry vac to suck out the dust
- There are 3 rings to choose from
- There are a lot of plastic pieces that move easily that could cause misalignment
- Some routers that aren’t Craftsman might not fit
7. Skil Router Table
The router table has built in storage containers so you can keep all your router accessories in one spot. This helps keep everything organized and helps you know exactly where things are.
In addition to the storage containers, it also has a clamp system that lets you quickly secure things. You will also get 2 feather boards, as well as a height gauge for different bits.
The fact that this table has a starter pin and guard helps you be able to cut curved edges quickly and efficiently. Finally, there is also router mounting that makes it extremely easy to change out bits.
- It comes with storage containers
- It comes with 2 featherboards
- The starter pin and gauge help you easily do curved edges
- When trying to work this, keep in mind there is no manual included
- Certain models of routers might not fit
6. Kreg PRS1040 Precision Router Table
The next table on the list has a lot of great features. For starters, the fence is completely enclosed. This really helps with the collection of dust, as well as being able to be very accurate.
In addition, the MDF top helps absorb any noise and vibration. This is great because you don’t want to be too loud and you don’t want any vibration to throw off the measurements.
The insert plate should work with any router and the dimensions are 9 1/4 inches by 11 3/4 inches. It is also 3/8 of an inch thick. The reducing rings also have 3 different levels.
- The fence is completely enclosed
- The top helps reduce any noise and vibration
- The reducing rings have 3 different levels
- The parts can be a little week
- There could be quite a few pieces that needs to be purchased with it
5. Bench Dog ProTop Contractor Benchtop Router Table
This router has a plastic laminate top and is 16 inches by 22 inches. It has a cabinet underneath so you can store your accessories and it can accommodate many different routers. The fence is aluminum and has several T-slots.
Another great thing about this model is that it has instructions and a manual with it so you’ll be able to set it up and use it the correct way. In addition, it also has a 2-year limited warranty, which is great because you can replace it if anything that is covered happens.
Finally, it has rubber mats on the bottom to ensure that it doesn’t slide around and ruin your project or injure you.
- Limited 2 year warranty
- The fence is metal instead of plastic
- It comes with all the instructions and a manual
- There are some models of routers that won’t fit
- While the fence is metal, it can be a little hard to work with
4. Kreg Bench Top Router Table
The first great thing about this table is that the fence is actually industrial quality. This means it is made from strong materials that won’t break. In addition, there is an area for dust collection so you don’t have to worry about it getting all over the place.
The table-top is an easy slide surface so you don’t have to worry about your projects getting stuck. The dimensions of the top are 16 inches by 24 inches. The 3 lock rings have different levels and there are also plate levels. The stand is made from sturdy steel and the rubber bottoms helps the table stay in place.
- It has an easy slide surface
- It is pretty big so it can accommodate large projects
- You don’t have to worry about the stand sliding all over the place
- The cam locks don’t work very well
- The corners are extremely sharp
3. Bosch RA1171 Cabinet Style Router Table
Not only does this table have cabinets for storing any accessories, but it also has an aluminum fence. This means it’s light enough to be versatile but heavy enough to get the job done.
The face plates measure 4 7/8 inches by 25 1/8 inches. This means you can do bigger projects without having to worry about it not being able to fit. In addition, this table has 2 areas to collect dust.
The great thing about that is that it fits any hose that is 2 1/2 inches. Finally, it has 2 outlets with a 6 foot power cord, which means you don’t have to search all over for a free outlet.
- It has a 2 outlets right on the table
- It is big enough to be able to work on big projects
- You can store accessories in the cabinet
- Sometimes the plate can come distorted
- The plate screws can come loose with vibrations
2. Bench Dog Tools 40-102 ProMax Cast Iron Router Table
The great thing about this table is that it can fit any contractor-grade table saws and right-tilt table saws that have 27 inch deep by 1 1/2 inch thick iron tables. If you opt to use a table saw, you can easily remove the fence so it isn’t in your way.
This is a smaller table so it’s not great for bigger projects but it’s really good for smaller ones. Included in the box are: router top, fence, and mounting hardware. There is also a limited lifetime warranty and it can accommodate a plate that is 8 1/4 inches by 11 3/4 inches.
- The fence can be removed quickly
- It can fit several types of table saws
- It’s great for small projects
- You have to buy the plate separately
- There isn’t a whole lot of space to work with
1. Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table
This table can attach to pretty much any workbench. This is great because there are so many different workbenches that you can choose from. In addition, it also has 2 adjustable feather boards, as well as 2 outlets.
The outlets have a 6 foot power cord. The fence on this table is aluminum and there are 3 different mounting plate rings. It also includes hardware for most Bosch routers, a clear guard that is adjustable, a starter pin and guard, and fence shims.
The area is 27 inches by 18 inches, which is great for decent sized products. Finally, there is a 1 year warranty.
- It can attach to any workbench
- There are 2 outlets
- There is a 1 year warranty
- People have said that the plate isn’t flat
- There have been issues with the plate not being smooth
Which Router Table Should You Buy?
Any of these are great options but the one that is the best is the Bosch RA1171 Cabinet Style Router Table. Not only can you store your accessories, but you also have 2 outlets where you can plug other tools into.
With the cord being 6 foot, you don’t have to worry about it not reaching. Another reason why this comes out on top is the fact that it has a big workspace.
This is really great for bigger projects because you don’t have to worry about not having the room. If you want a good router table then this is worth it!