A router is one of the most useful and versatile tools you could find in any shop. And if you are new to the world of routing, the hundreds of options that are out there could be confusing to choose from.
The Different Parts of Router Bits
Let’s take a look of what to expect in a router bit set and each item’s purpose.
Rabbiting Router Bits
These bits are designed to cut a shoudler in a piece of material that’s then used to join pieces today. You can purchase them in many different sizes with versatile diameters.
Straight Router Bits
As the name suggests, these items are designed to cut straight into a piece of material to then form a hollow hole. Similar to the rabbiting router bits, they come in many different lengths and diameters, soyou have a wide range to choose from.
Chamfer Router Bits
This type of router bit creates a specific, deep cut to decorate a surface’s edge. You can use them on many different materials and items, including planets, boxes with many sides, and many more. Chamfer router bits create beveled edges that you may need to join different constructions together, making them a must-have for woodworkers and joiners.
Flush Trim Router Bits
These router bits are designed to trim the edge of a piece of material with another material’s edge so you can create a specific pattern. If you look at pictures of these router bits, you’ll noticed that the bearing is the tip at the base.
Factors To Consider When Buying a Router Bit Set
So, if you are looking to select one, here’s what you need to know:
Profile: The router bits come in multiple cutting edge shapes. Some of the popular ones are straight bits, rabbeting bits, chamfer bits, specialized bits, flush trim bits and edge forming bits. Depending upon your requirements, you could choose any of these options.
Quality: If there is a carbide cutter, then you are certainly looking for a top quality router bit. Reason for this is that these cutters are more robust than steel and are known to carry the edge for longer periods of time.
Size: Most common bit shank sizes are ¼” and ½”. Even though they could be interchanged, some of the routers accept only ¼” shank size. If you are looking for even cuts with reduced vibration, use the ½” ones.
Price: Even though the router bit sets are available at varying prices, look for one that suits your budget and requirement. Look for the ones with high precision and good warranties.
Care and Maintenance For Your Router Bit Set
When you’ve purchased a router bit set, it’s important you know how to properly care for it. Cleaning and maintaining your router bits will keep them in tip-top condition so you get the best results possible.
Begin by removing the bearing so you don’t remove any lubricant when you wash it. If you’re struggling to remove a new router bit, wear gloves or use a towel to get a better grip and prevent your fingers from slipping. You’ll then need to loosen any dust and dirt using a small brush with a cleaning fluid. Choose a high-quality cleaner that is designed to remove gunk, resin and gunge while not stripping your router bit of its essential materials.
This task can be quite a chore if you don’t keep on top of cleaning your items after each session. Plus, if you’ve just removed the router bit from the router, it’ll still be warm, making it easier to remove any substance.
Finally, consider where you store your router bit set as this will prevent (or cause!) any damage. Keep each piece wrapped up in a soft, clean cloth or keep everything secure in its original casing. Whatever you do, don’t throw them in a drawer where they’ll scratch against other materials and potentially become lost.
The Top 10 Best Router Bit Sets To Buy
Below we’ve reviewed the top 10 best router bit sets on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- The Different Parts of Router Bits
- Factors To Consider When Buying a Router Bit Set
- Care and Maintenance For Your Router Bit Set
- The Top 10 Best Router Bit Sets To Buy
- 10. Dremel 692 6-Piece Router Bit Set
- 9. Whiteside Router Bits
- 8. MLCS 6077 Shank Carbide-tipped Router Bit Set
- 7. Freud Adjustable Tongue & Groove Bit Set
- 6. Hiltex 10100 Tungsten Carbide Router Bits
- 5. Stalwart Router Bit Set
- 4. MLCS 8377 15-Piece Router Bit Set
- 3. Freud 91-100 13-Piece Super Router Bit Set
- 2. Neiko 10115A Tungsten Carbide Router Bits
- 1. Yonico 17702 Router Bit Set
- Which Router Bit Set Should You Buy?
10. Dremel 692 6-Piece Router Bit Set
It is a superior product manufactured using high-quality steel. If you looking for a renovation or any sort of repair, then you are looking at the right one. It comes in silver color and is a light-weight product. It also comes with a year of warranty on its parts.
- Large customer reviews indicating it to be a popular choice.
- About 84% of the consumers have rated it either a 4 or a 5 on Amazon.
- Instructions in the manual are clear for everyone to understand.
- You could even ship it to few other countries outside the United States.
- Few customers have had issues with sharpness and sturdiness of the product.
- Does not seem to work very well on thick wood boards.
9. Whiteside Router Bits
Manufactured in the United States of America, the router bits in this router are made of high-quality carbide. It is considered to be a high-quality tool in the routing industry and the bits are known for unmarked performance.
- High customer satisfaction rating.
- It is cheaper than its counterparts in the same category.
- Different bit selection options available.
- Good one for a novice in the routing space.
- If you are looking to ship it someone outside of the United States, this is not your product.
- Few customers reported physical wear and tear of the product in a short period of time.
8. MLCS 6077 Shank Carbide-tipped Router Bit Set
A top quality product where bits are manufactured using premium carbide. It comes with a storage box made of wood and the dollar value per bit is pretty cheap. It weighs over 2 pounds and comes with an amazing 3-year warranty.
The dimensions of the product are 7.1*5.2*3.6 inches and it does not require any batteries. It does offer to ship to certain countries outside of America.
- Highly rated product.
- The right product for its price.
- Great finish with sharp bits.
- Few customers reported product twisting in its early usage.
- Not a great product, if you are just starting out.
7. Freud Adjustable Tongue & Groove Bit Set
If you are looking for a product that cuts all sorts of materials like hardwood and plywood, this could be a perfect choice. The material type is carbide and it includes a tongue cutter with an unblemished finish.
- It has a lot of questions answered on Amazon relating to its product details and service.
- Because of its price and high quality, it falls under Amazon’s choice category.
- More than 85% of the customers have rated it either a 4 or a 5 on Amazon.
- Most of the customers have been impressed with its bits quality.
- Some customers have reported product damage on arrival.
- Does not seem to work very well with plywood.
6. Hiltex 10100 Tungsten Carbide Router Bits
The blade is manufactured using tungsten carbide which is known to provide outstanding heat resistance. It weighs around 1.25 pounds and does not require any batteries for its operation. Some portion of the bits is made using a robust steel alloy for long-lasting results.
- Works exceptionally well on plywood which has thin layers.
- Amazing product for beginners in this industry.
- Very affordable in its category.
- There are gift wrap options available on Amazon, in case you are thinking to gift it to someone.
- Few customers reported physical damage to bits in just a few minutes of usage.
- The wooden case is not of premium quality.
5. Stalwart Router Bit Set
It is a great product for people at all levels of experience in routing. Whether you are looking to trim or groove, this product does the job for you.
It comes with a 24 piece kit and could be termed as a light weighted product in its category. It comes with a strong wooden case which acts as a great storage space even when you travel.
- Light weighted and certified product.
- Falls under Amazon choice category.
- Comes with excellent router bit selection.
- 75% of the customers have rated it either a 4 or a 5 on Amazon.
- Few customers reported issues related to wood burn.
- Not a very robust product.
- Not recommended for high-end routing jobs.
4. MLCS 8377 15-Piece Router Bit Set
The product weighs around 2.45 pounds and does not require batteries for its operation. It is made up of high-quality carbide material and the product dimensions are 7.1*5.2*3.6 inches.
It is a very affordable product that comes with multiple bits in a set. There are some gift options available for this product on Amazon.
- Very affordable product.
- Shipping options outside of America are available.
- Comes with a robust wooden storage case.
- Bits are not very durable.
- Few customers reported issues relating to physical damage during its initial usage.
- Not a very suitable product for a skilled woodworker.
3. Freud 91-100 13-Piece Super Router Bit Set
It has a distinct storage case that you could even mount on a wall. It is used to cut all sorts of materials and weighs around 5 pounds. The material type is carbide and it comes with a ½” shank.
There are some limited lifetime guarantee options available with the product and it does not require any batteries for its operation.
- Over 80% of the customers have rated it either a 4 or a 5 on Amazon.
- Lots of customers have commented positively on the bit quality and cutting capabilities.
- It could be of immense help even if you are not an expert at routing.
- Few customers reported damage on arrival for its front cover.
- Does not include a diagrammatic representation of the cut type.
2. Neiko 10115A Tungsten Carbide Router Bits
The blade is manufactured using high-quality tungsten which improves the accuracy of cuts. It comes with a ½” shank that is well suited for all kinds of routers.
Whether you are looking to edge, trim or groove, this product does the job for you. It is a heavy product and weighs around 12.7 pounds.
- Well suited product for amateurs as well as experienced workers in the routing space.
- About 80% of customers are very satisfied with its service.
- Includes a top-notch aluminum case for storage.
- Few customers had reported physical damage on arrival.
- Bits tend to get dull after a single usage.
1. Yonico 17702 Router Bit Set
It is a heavier product and weighs over 13 pounds. The material type is carbide and it comes in a striking yellow color. There are around 70 router bits meeting the industry standards that are enclosed in a sturdy wooden case.
It uses a metric measurement system and comes with a ½” shank size. There are a lot of questions answered for the product on Amazon which could be very handy before you decide on purchasing one.
- Great product even if you are a hobbyist.
- Sharp cutting bits and a large bit selection.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Bits work well but are not very durable.
- Few customers reported issues related to packaging.
Which Router Bit Set Should You Buy?
Even though each and every product mentioned above has something unique to offer, my favorite pick would be the Freud Adjustable Tongue & Groove Bit Set. There is a huge number of people who have reviewed the product positively for not only its affordability but also the quality of its bits.
For these reasons, it is not very surprising to see it falling under the Amazon’s choice category.
Whether you are a newbie or an experienced worker in the routing industry, there are options available for both the categories. Some of the ones are a real value for money in comparison to the similar ones in their category.
The choice of any of the above-mentioned products depends on a lot of factors like price, usage, and requirements. There is both text and video information related to these products on the internet and do your own diligent research before deciding to purchase one.