If you are looking to invest in a road bike, you have probably figured out by now that it is not as easy to choose one as you may have initially thought.
But have no fear because I have done all the hard work and have comprised a list of the very best picks. All you have to do is decide which one you want the most based on the facts and figures in this handy list.
Buying a bike may seem like a pretty easy task, but there are a few things that you should consider first. Things like how many speeds does it have, how light is it, and how big the wheels and frame are.
We’ve reviewed the top 10 best road bikes under $1,000 reviewed in 2019.
Table of Contents
- 10. Denali Road Bike by GMC
- 9. Vilano Shadow Road Bike
- 8. Schwinn Men’s Prelude Bicycle
- 7. Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano
- 6. Vilano FORZA 2.0 Aluminum Carbon Shimano Tiagra Road Bike
- 5. Diamondback Bicycles 2019 Century 2 Complete Road Bike
- 4. Giordano Libero 1.6 Men’s Road Bike
- 3. Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fat Bike
- 2. Vilano FORZA 1.0 Aluminum Carbon Shimano 105 Road Bike
- 1. Kestrel Talon Road Shimano 105 Carbon Fiber 55CM Bike
- Which Road Bike Should You Buy?
10. Denali Road Bike by GMC
The Denali is a really nice-looking bike that is a pretty good buy for the money. It has alloy side pull brake calipers and levers and high-profile alloy Vitesse racing rims. This road bike also has a lightweight aluminum frame and can handle a wide range of different road conditions with ease.
This is a good starter bike and is a good one to consider if you are working within the constraints of a tighter budget. It is a simple yet sturdy bike that will let you get out and explore the great outdoors without having to break the bank.
- can handle many different road conditions
- has 21 speeds
- Hard to assemble
- Not ideal if you are vertically challenged
9. Vilano Shadow Road Bike
This bike has some fun features such as a 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Aero frame with integrated headset, and 700c doubled walled CNC machined side.
It also has integrated Brake Lever/Shifters that make this bike easy to control and makes it easy to brake. It has a 700c 1 1/8″ threadless fork with dual pivot alloy caliper as well.
This is a good bike for beginners and anyone wanting to amp up their training regime. It is ideal for fitness and exercise, triathlons, and even the daily commute. It offers a smooth ride, and the braking and shifting gears are easy to access.
- Great bike for starting out
- Good value for the price
- It absorbs a lot of vibration, and the saddle is comfortable
- Not the highest quality
- Difficult to assemble
8. Schwinn Men’s Prelude Bicycle
This is a Schwinn, and Schwinn bikes are known to be one of the better brands out there when it comes to bikes so already, it has that going for it. It is ideal for the daily commute and makes a great starter bike.
It has a lightweight aluminum frame, 14-speed Shimano A050 shifters, and a Shimano rear derailleur, so it shifts very smoothly.
It has alloy linear pull that makes it easy to stop quickly. The alloy rims are lightweight and durable, and it is an easy going bike that requires little maintenance. It is a fun bike to ride whether you are training or riding it to school or work.
- Pretty easy to assemble
- Offers a smooth ride
- Great starter bike
- Not ideal for shorter riders
- The seat is not the most comfortable
7. Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano
This road bike has a 6061 double-butted aluminum frame nd 700c doubled walled CNC machined sides. It also has and urban comfort handlebar to make the ride more comfortable.
This is a good bike for beginner riders or even for those of us who simply enjoy the cruising speed rather than to push ourselves to the brink of insanity.
This monster has 21 speeds and is also the lightest in its class. It even comes with free pedals. It feels like a very expensive bike but without the very expensive price tag. Definitely a good buy for the money.
- Has 21 speeds
- Great starter bike
- Poor assembly instructions
- Not ideal for riders who are vertically challenged as this is a large bike
6. Vilano FORZA 2.0 Aluminum Carbon Shimano Tiagra Road Bike
This road bike has a 6061 double butted aluminum frame with 12k carbon fiber fork. It has 700C double walled wheelset and has 9 speeds STI shifters. This bike is ideal for club rides, exercise, and training.
This bike has aluminum parts so if you live by the ocean you won’t have to worry about it rusting as easily as some bikes might. It is great for commuting and a good price for what you get.
This bike is fast, quiet and will give you a great ride. The frame is solid, and it is very lightweight at just 22-23 pounds.
- Has places to attach water bottle accessories
- Comparable to the more expensive road bikes out there
- Very fast and smooth ride
- Difficult to assemble
- Crank not the most durable
5. Diamondback Bicycles 2019 Century 2 Complete Road Bike
The Century 2 is an ideal bike for everyday riding. The aluminum frame of this bike features an Enhanced Performance Geometry, and it has 11 speeds. It has a taller headtube than a road race bike which makes for a less tiring bike ride over long distances.
It Has hydraulic brakes, 28c Michelin tires on HED wheels that give it great performance. This bike will turn long rides into a comfortable excursion rather than a survival of the fittest road trip.
It’s carbon fork reduces vibrations from the road and is very fast and comfortable to ride, especially for very long distances.
- Easy to assemble and easy to ride
- Reduces lower back and neck fatigue
- Disc brakes offer great stopping power
- It does require pre-assembly
- Some of the parts are not 105 or higher
4. Giordano Libero 1.6 Men’s Road Bike
This bike has an aluminum frame, so it is durable and lightweight. It has 32 spoke high profile quick release alloy rims and a 1 1/8″ threadless stem. It also has a 16-speed Shimano STI drive train.
It also features aluminum 700c wheels and is perfect for fitness and for weekend excursions. It is an ideal bike for beginners as well as exercise fanatics. And if you don’t love the idea of assembling a bike-don’t worry because it comes mostly assembled already.
It is also affordable and is just a good-looking bike. You will be sure to turn a few heads when you cruise by on this puppy.
- Has dual water bottle mounts
- Has 16 speeds
- Is very lightweight
- Only available in men’s small, medium, and large sizes
- The handlebar is not the most comfortable
3. Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fat Bike
This is one cool-looking bike that you can really get into. Not only does it look good, but it is loaded with great features. Features such as a Velo Plush saddle for comfortable riding, Neco headset, and lock on grips.
It also has Wellgo pedals, 14G stainless steel spokes, and frame made of 6061 alloy for extra durability. This bike is great for mountain biking as well as biking in the snow.
This truly is a bike that you can take everywhere. It even has an X9 rust-proof finish 9-speed chain and the handlebar is made of frames lightweight alloy 710mm, with a 12-degree sweep and 1/2″ rise.
- Great bike for the price
- Easy to assemble
- Has different sizes to accommodate different rider heights
- Not the lightest bike at around 34 lbs (large size with pedals and complete set)
- Does not come with additional wheel set
2. Vilano FORZA 1.0 Aluminum Carbon Shimano 105 Road Bike
This bike is not only affordable but it offers an intermediate-level of performance. It is a fun bike to ride and has a lightweight hydroformed aluminum frame. It also has a 12K carbon racing fork and features 10-speed rear and Shimano Tiagra 3 speed front derailleurs.
The shifters can handle any road conditions and hills with ease as well. This bike is ideal for any exercise session or ride that you want to take it on.
It has 30speeds and is a great intermediate bike. It has free platform pedals with toe straps. It is available in an attractive matte color so you will always look stylish riding it.
- Has lightweight frame
- Has 30 speeds
- Great intermediate bike
- Bike needs to be assembled at an LBS to ensure it is assembled correctly
- Wheels need to be trued before use
1. Kestrel Talon Road Shimano 105 Carbon Fiber 55CM Bike
This bike is super light and has the perfect amount of stiffness and compliance. It has 11 speeds and is a great aerodynamic bike. It is versatile, has road friendly-geometry and lets the rider choose either a road or triathlon position for the best comfort level.
This bike has an attractive look to it, and the triathlon model comes with Oval Concepts base plus clip-on aero bar. It even has FSA Metron bar-end shifters and an Oval Concepts tri saddle.
This is the bike for you if you have serious bike riding needs and need to get all that you can from your ride. It will take you far my friend, and you will be comfortable wherever you go.
- Great if you are a triathlete
- Great buy for what you get
- Very lightweight
- Brakes, crank spider, and chain rings are not the greatest quality
- The Aero Bars are not the best quality
Which Road Bike Should You Buy?
There are so many great options out there for you to choose from. I recommend the Minnesota 2.0 Fat Bike since you can use it year-round. It also has many great features and extras that make it great.