If you use a point of sale system in your business, you need a receipt printer – and it should definitely be a good one so that you don’t have to replace it in a few months. Receipt printers are essential in most any business today because they solve the problem of needing to conveniently print a receipt right then and there.
Quite simply, these are useful devices for printing not only sale receipts but also things like kitchen orders, credit card slips and the like – so they’re definitely not something that you can do without unless your business is cash-only or totally functions on Bitcoins.
Table of Contents
- How to Choose The Best Receipt Printer For You
- Catering For Your Business’s Needs
- Why It’s Important To Choose a High-Quality Best Receipt Printer
- The Top 10 Best Receipt Printers To Buy
- 10. Smart&Cool SC-5890T USB POS Printer
- 9. Star Micronics Thermal Receipt Printer
- 8. AGPtek Portable Mini Receipt Printer
- 7. EOM-POS Thermal Receipt Printer
- 6. Citizen CT-S310II Line Thermal Printer
- 5. Smart&Cool SC-5802LD Portable Receipt Printer
- 4. Star Micronics TSP143IIU ECO-Friendly Receipt Printer
- 3. Epson TM-T88V Thermal Receipt Printer
- 2. Star Micronics TSP100 TSP143iiU Receipt Printer
- 1. Epson ReadyPrint T20 Direct Thermal Printer
How to Choose The Best Receipt Printer For You
As with pretty much any device these days, you get a variety of options with a receipt printer – there are of course the very basic ones that just print receipts as well as more complex models that have features like Bluetooth connectivity and can connect to mobile devices.
Ultimately your choice hinges on what other devices you might be using your printer with and your budget, but you do have several options in terms of how the thing actually prints receipts. Like a normal printer, you get a few choices in this area – most receipt printers either use thermal printing, impact printing, or inkjet printing and each of these offers certain attributes.
Impact printers are typically the most affordable and are suited to damp environments like a kitchen but they’re a bit slower than other models. Thermal printers are fast and quiet but require toner to function, and inkjet printers are fast and give high quality prints but are generally the most expensive.
Catering For Your Business’s Needs
Before you begin your search, you’ll want to set a price range in mind that you adhere to. This budget should be a representation of the features you need, since you can’t purchase a high-quality color printer for $10. Most impact printers range between $100 and $400, and these are the cheapest options and require minimal maintenance. However, one disadvantage is that they take a long time to print, so if a quick service is part of your promise, you might need to consider another option. Plus, if you tend to print long receipts, this could be another issue for you.
For budgets of $300 to $500, thermal printers are a great option since they print in a high quality and are faster in operation. Also, thermal printers don’t require ink or toner to use them, so this can reduce the overall maintenance costs over time. Finally, an ink jet printer is the most expensive type of receipt printer since is offers the best quality. So, if color graphics, logos, details, and coupons are a part of your printing needs, consider increasing your budget to enhance your customer service.
You should also consider if you require a mobile printer as POS technology offers this feature. If you tend to move around your store/office, this could be an easier option than asking customers to come to the store front for a receipt. Mobile printing is becoming more common in stores with salespeople as you can make a sale on the spot.
Why It’s Important To Choose a High-Quality Best Receipt Printer
When starting your business or running through the day-to-day operations of it, you might not have considered a receipt printer as an important part of business operations. However, this device is a way of finalizing your meeting with a customer and ensuring that they have proof of purchase in the event of a refund or exchange. Without one, it makes such situations difficult and sometimes impossible.
Plus, if your business requires a ticket or coupon, it’s important that these print out in a high-quality, legible format so that customers can use them as there are no hiccups in the process. The last thing you want is a coupon not scanning due to an error out of the customer’s hands. A great example of this is at an airport when a member of staff prints off your boarding pass. If the printer quality isn’t good enough, this can make getting through the airport difficult for the traveler.
The Top 10 Best Receipt Printers To Buy
Since you might be buying a receipt printer for the first time, here’s a handy list of the top 10 best receipt printers in 2019 – thermal printers seem to be suitable for most applications, so we’ll keep it simple.
10. Smart&Cool SC-5890T USB POS Printer
If you want a receipt printer for less than $40, this one is a great choice to consider and it even comes with a few thermal paper rolls so that you can start printing receipts right away.
It works with most versions of Windows as well as Linux, which makes it good for many businesses – but be warned that even though the description posits that there’s a driver available for Windows 10 it doesn’t seem to actually install properly.
There’s also an installation disk included if you’re using it with a compatible OS, which saves the trouble of searching online for drivers and potentially installing malware.
- Thermal printer for under $35, making it a great affordable option for some businesses
- Compatible with older versions of Windows as well as Linux
- Comes along with thermal paper rolls so that you can start printing as soon as it’s out of the box
- Doesn’t work with Windows 10 or mobile devices
- Cord is only 3 feet long, meaning you can’t really keep it anywhere but next to an outlet
- No wireless connections
9. Star Micronics Thermal Receipt Printer
If you want a high-end receipt printer that’s designed to work with mobile devices as well as desktop ones, this one is a great option. It conveniently connects via bluetooth, meaning that you can just set it down somewhere rather than being tied down by a USB cable all of the time.
If your business requires something portable that works with an iPad – like food trucks and farmers’ market stalls – then this is a great receipt printer.
- Compatible with iOS, Android, and Windows – so you can use it with pretty much anything
- Bluetooth connectivity means that you can plop it down anywhere and not be tied up with a USB cable
- Strong battery pack means it can run all day and even connect other devices without significant drain
- The Bluetooth connection can be finicky and some users complain that it disconnects from iPads
- A bit on the expensive side
- Some lag time when printing receipts
8. AGPtek Portable Mini Receipt Printer
If you want an extremely portable model that fits in your pocket and connects to iOS, Android, and Windows devices this is the way to go. For connecting with mobile devices you’ll need an app if you want to print receipts, and for Windows computers you’ll need to download a driver and connect it via USB.
The main advantage of this printer is that it’s small and portable making it perfect for applications where space is a concern – like in a taxi – and the batteries last all day.
- Small and portable, so you can carry the thing in your pocket and print receipts anywhere (printing receipts without removing the printer from your pocket is not recommended)
- Wide range of supported devices including Android, iOS, and Windows
- Support for Bluetooth, USB, and RS-232 connections
- Cannot be used with a Mac; no support for any version of iOS older than 7 or earlier Android versions than 4.0
- Needs a dedicated app to print using Bluetooth, which is kind of annoying
- Cannot print receipts from popular apps like PayPal Here or Square Register
7. EOM-POS Thermal Receipt Printer
If you’re looking for a receipt printer that works with a variety of Windows-based POS applications, this one will do quite nicely.
While it’s not compatible with mobile operating systems or Mac, it’s a great device if you’re using compatible systems because it even cuts the receipts for you rather than having to tear them and risking yanking out the paper roll or tearing up your receipts.
On top of that, a few users have noted that the company offers great customer service and is willing to help you out with any queries – something that cannot be said about a lot of receipt printer manufacturers.
- Works with a wide array of Windows POS applications
- Automatically cuts the paper so you’re not yanking the roll out every time you try tearing it
- Great customer support from the manufacturer
- Doesn’t work with mobile operating systems, so if you’re using Android or iOS avoid this one
- Doesn’t work with Macs or Linux computers either
- Not compatible with any of the popular mobile applications like Square Register or PayPal Here
6. Citizen CT-S310II Line Thermal Printer
This device is EnergyStar compliant and even has a paper saving mode if those things concern you when in the market for a receipt printer. This printer is well made and offers you both serial and USB connections so you can use it with any Windows, Mac, or Ubuntu computer as well as Quickbooks – though regrettably it’s not compatible with mobile POS setups.
Users have noted how even after several years of intense usage, this one still works like new – which is great if you’re spending this kind of money on a device.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Ubuntu and Quickbooks
- EnergyStar compliant and comes with a paper saving mode so it’s slightly greener than other options
- USB or serial connection
- Works well even after years of use
- No Bluetooth connection
- Does not support mobile devices, so avoid if your POS system relies on an iPad
- Requires a Citizen POS drawer to work
5. Smart&Cool SC-5802LD Portable Receipt Printer
If you want a great little device that you can just put in your pocket and is compatible with Android devices, this one is a great option to look into. In addition to being able to connect via Bluetooth, you can also use it with USB connections for even more functionality – but be warned that it doesn’t work with iOS devices and it’s unclear if it’ll work with a Mac either.
So if you want something small and portable and use Android or Windows, this could be a good option.
- Bluetooth connection so it works with a range of devices
- Compatible with Android and Windows
- Small and portable
- Doesn’t work with iOS devices at all
- Doesn’t work for web receipts
4. Star Micronics TSP143IIU ECO-Friendly Receipt Printer
If you want a great all-in-one setup, this device from Star Micronics offers you just that , and this receipt printer automatically cuts the receipts so you don’t give your customers torn ones.
Because all of the drivers are included, you can basically plug this one in and you’re good to go – a huge relief considering how often it happens that you have to go hunting on the internet to install the right driver to get your printer to work.
- Plug and play functionality means no hunting for drivers
- Super fast printing so your customers aren’t waiting
- You can even print documents with this thing, without installing additional software
- No Bluetooth connection
- A bit on the expensive side
3. Epson TM-T88V Thermal Receipt Printer
Epson is a known name in the printer industry for a good reason – they provide quality products that will last a long time even under the duress of everyday use and this one is no exception.
With fast printing – up to 300mm per second – this is a great printer to have if your sick and tired of receipt printers that take all afternoon to print a bill for two items. And with a four year warranty, you can bet that this one will stand up to whatever rigours you put it through.
- Plug and play functionality with many devices makes it easy to use
- Works well in intense retail environments
- Fast printing
- Easy to load paper rolls
- Significantly more costly than comparable devices
- Some difficulty in finding the right drivers
- Power supply has been known to fail
2. Star Micronics TSP100 TSP143iiU Receipt Printer
Here’s another great receipt printer from Star Micronics, and like number 4 on this list, this one has everything you’ll need included right in the box. With support for Android devices as well as Windows, this one’s quite versatile and shouldn’t give you any hiccups.
And what’s really great is that you can print your own logos and coupons as well on the receipts, making it a great option if those capabilities are important to you.
- Fast printing
- Works with most devices
- Easy installation
- Doesn’t work with Square Register stand half the time
- No power button
1. Epson ReadyPrint T20 Direct Thermal Printer
Epson needs no introduction, and this is a great receipt printer that costs quite a bit less than their other model on this list. With compatibility across devices and automatic receipt cutting, this one’s the way to go if you want a high-end thermal receipt printer for a bit less than most other devices in its class.
Given the feedback from users on this device and the relative lack of complaints, there are plenty of reasons why this device tops our list.
- Automatically cuts paper
- Fast printing
- Works with an array of devices
- Cheap for a printer of this quality
- No Bluetooth connection
- A bit heavy, so don’t even think about putting it in your pocket
- Can be a bit fussy with certain POS systems