If your formerly blond hair has turned yellow and brassy, you may need the best purple shampoo on the market. It’s no secret that maintaining the perfect blonde shade takes time, money, and quite a bit of commitment to keep up with. Blondes have to battle not only their natural hair color but also elements like sun, hard water, and heat styling, which can fade and distort your coloring.
The good news is that you don’t need to make an appointment for an expensive salon fix every time your blond turns brassy. Just grab a bottle of the best purple shampoo for an at-home toning solution that will leave your blonde looking better than before.
What the Best Purple Shampoo Can Do for Your Hair
Anyone who has taken an elementary school art class may remember that yellow and purple are complimentary colors on the color wheel. Directly across from one another, yellow and purple balance one another out. This principle applies to your hair color as well.
Why, you ask?
If you are looking to neutralize yellow undertones in your natural or artificial hair color, purple is the solution. These purple shampoos are an at-home toner that fights the brassiness blondes often battle. They cancel out the yellow tones in your hair by using purple pigment.
The best purple shampoo will work to keep your hair that perfect shade of blonde even after your salon toner treatment fades.
Who Should Use Purple Shampoo
While purple shampoo is designed with blondes in mind, both brunettes and blondes may benefit from using a purple shampoo. The best purple shampoo can keep your hair color fresh and vibrant, kicking yellow undertones to the curb.
Blonde hair benefits most from the toner in this shampoo. Brunettes who are rocking a balayage or ombre look deal with brassiness and yellow undertones as well, so purple shampoo is a great solution.
Not to mention, if you are rocking a trendy gray-haired look, purple shampoo can help. This simple shampoo treatment will keep your silver tint shiny and reduce the flat, dull look.
How to Use Purple Shampoo
Using the best purple shampoo is pretty simple, but there are a few principles to keep in mind.
First of all, there is absolutely such a thing as too much purple!
If you eliminate too much yellow from your hair, you may end up with a darker shade than you intended. So, wash your hair just once or twice a week with purple shampoo to keep it light and bright without being too brassy.
A secret tip of the beauty industry?
Mix a little purple shampoo into your regular shampoo. This simple trick will help you fight the brassiness without overdoing it. Plus, it will help these quality products last longer. That's a win-win.
Purple shampoo can be applied just like regular shampoo. You simply lather, let it sit, and then rinse away. However, many people have found they get even better results when they shampoo their hair dry and let it sit for 40 to 45 minutes before rinsing.
How long to leave it on your hair
How long you leave the shampoo in all depends on your personal shade of blond.
Those who are looking to maintain a warm blonde tone should leave the shampoo in for 1 to 3 minutes. Neutral blondes should wait for 3 to 5 minutes before rinsing. And cool or icy blondes should give the purple shampoo 5 to15 minutes to work before washing it away.
The Best Purple Shampoo for Every Blonde
If the sheer number of purple shampoos available overwhelms you, do not despair! We have scoured the internet to find 10 of the best purple shampoo options for blonde hair and gray. These options are all top-rated, and stylist approved.
- Ideal, for grey, super lightened, or decolored hair
- Violet pigment tones down unwanted yellow hues on grey, light blonde, or streaked hair
- Note: This product does not come with spill seal. Please contact customer care if there are issues with your order
The name of this purple shampoo from SalonGuys says it all: no yellow. The violet pigment in this shampoo tones down unwanted yellow hues on grey, light blonde, and streaked hair. This shampoo will leave your hair more even and bright, fighting those yellow undertones. Start using this shampoo today, and you will be able to go even longer between pricey salon visits.
- Bold by B Uniq - Extend Time Between Expensive Salon Visits: Stronger than traditional blonding shampoos, the vivid...
- Shampoo For Blonde, Platinum & Gray/Silver Hair: Zero Yellow Purple shampoo neutralizes brassiness in blonde shades for...
- PETA Approved Vegan & Cruelty Free: Sulfate-Free Shampoo: SLS-free and paraben-free, blonde shampoo is formulated with...
This product earns its spot as a best purple shampoo selection for its paraben and sulfate free formula. This shampoo is both vegan-friendly and cruelty-free as well. If you are on the hunt for a natural product that will leave your blonde or gray hair more radiant, look no further.
- Celebrity stylist approved – rinse away brassiness & yellow: You invest significant time and money choosing pure hair...
- Look fabulous & extend salon color: Get Back Gorgeous Violet Shampoo delivers noticeably brighter, healthier looking,...
- 100% Money Back Guarantee, cutting-edge formulation: When you click add to cart now, know you’re buying a tested and...
GBG stands for “get back gorgeous,” and that is what this purple shampoo promises to deliver. Keep your hair color bright and banish brassiness between salon visits with this product. GBG uses an organic formula of coconut oil derived compounds to achieve results while being kind to your hair.
As a number one best seller on Amazon, customers and stylists alike swear by the quality of this product.
This purple shampoo from Joico is a salon favorite and promises to “preserve cool platinum blondes and silver foxes by keeping nasty brassy tones at bay while safeguarding hair’s vibrancy.” This shampoo protects your color while also fighting frizz and repairing damage caused by coloring.
This brand even promises that with regular use, you can preserve 89 percent of your hair color between salon visits.
- Sulfate-Free Shampoo For Blonde Hair: This blonde hair shampoo is exceptionally gentle on colored hair, and is specially...
- Blonde Shampoo With Iris Botanicals: Sulfate Free formula with Purple Iris extracts, EverPure Blonde System neutralizes...
- The EverPure Blonde System: For best results, use EverPure Blonde shampoo and conditioner in tandem, for a gentle...
L’Oreal offers a purple shampoo that is sulfate-free and made with iris botanicals. This shampoo is a light lavender color as opposed to some of the darker purple shampoos, which is great if you’re worried about the shampoo leaving a purple tint. Not only does it neutralize brassiness, but it also hydrates hair. That is great as many blondes suffer from dry, over-processed hair.
This purple shampoo is designed specifically to enrich gray and silver toned hair. This professional-grade shampoo by Matrix neutralizes brassy tones and illuminates highlights on blondes. Gray to white shades of hair will brighten with treatments.
- [COLOR BRIGHTENING] Luseta Purple Shampoo and Conditioner is specially made for blonde & gray hair by richness in...
- [CLEAN AND REPAIR]Shampoo gently cleans the hair, eliminates brassy and yellow tones in blondes and repair split ends
- [PROTECT HAIR]Conditioner can promotes glossy and protect hair from heat or natural environment damages
This purple shampoo from Luseta is another excellent option for those looking for a product free of sulfates, parabens, and gluten. Made with coconut oil, this shampoo cleans and nourishes hair while eliminating brassy and yellow tones in both blonde and gray hair.
- BALANCE TONE AND PROTECT: Artnaturals Purple Shampoo and Conditioner Set is specially formulated to protect, balance and...
- COLOR TREATED, SILVER AND BLONDE HAIR: The Shampoo’s formula is suitable for use on grey, blonde, bleached brassy,...
- DAMAGED AND DRY HAIR: Coconut extract hydrates the scalp and helps dry, brittle hair retain moisture. It also aids in...
Brighten blond and silver hair color with ArtNaturals best purple shampoo. You can undo damage on color-treated hair that is a result of all kinds of damage, from UV rays to chlorine. The natural and organic ingredients in this product add moisture to hair while correcting yellow undertones.
Redken designed this purple shampoo to tone and treat blonde hair at home in between salon visits. The violet pigment has a protein complex that both strengthens and brightens hair while eliminating yellow tones. This particular brand is excellent for restoring cool blonde tones without making blonde hair darker than intended.
- An award-winning, protein-enriched color-enhancing shampoo for
- blonde and gray hair
- Refreshes faded highlights and brightens gray hair
This protein-enriched purple shampoo from Clairol tones down brassiness in blonde and gray hair. Refresh your faded highlights and brighten gray tones in both natural and color-treated hair. The key to this shampoo? Lather, rinse, and repeat! This brand recommends that you shampoo twice to get the maximum results.
The Best Shampoo to Leave Blondes Purple with Envy
Image via Amazon
You cannot go wrong choosing from this list for the best purple shampoo. If you are looking for a great purple shampoo, then GBG shampoo is overall the best choice. The best purple shampoo that is a great value would be L’Oréal EverPure Blonde Shampoo. But no matter which you pick to suit your needs, you are sure to be pleased with a purple shampoo from this list!
Do you have a favorite purple shampoo that didn't make our list? Tell us all about it in the comments!
Featured Image: Image via Amazon