It’s that time of year again, and if Spring hasn’t made it to your area yet it soon will. Winter has a way of accumulating outside chores, and for most of us that includes a thorough cleaning of the exteriors walls of our homes and businesses.
A water hose and scrub brush may work on windows, but that method isn’t going to do much against mold and other kinds of debris winter leaves behind. For that, you need a good pressure washer.
There are a lot more uses to put them too other than washing walls. A broom, no matter how stout it is doesn’t have much chance against crud stuck in tight corners, or between the boards of a decks surface.
You could spend hours trying it that way, but why would you when you can have the entire job done is far less time using pressurized water.
Below we’ve reviewed the top 10 best pressure washers available on the market in 2018.
Table of Contents
- 10. PowRyte 2000PSI Electric Pressure Washer
- 9. Serenelife Electric Pressure Washer
- 8. Karcher G2900X Gas Pressure Washer
- 7. Greenworks 1600 Pressure Washer
- 6. Excell Gas Powered Pressure Washer
- 5. Simpson Cleaning Gas Pressure Washer
- 4. Generac 6922 Gas Powered Pressure Washer
- 3. Greenworks 1500 PSI 13 Amp 1.2 GPM Pressure Washer
- 2. Sun Joe SPX3001 Electric Pressure Washer
- 1. Sun Joe SPX3000 Electric Pressure Washer
- Which Pressure Washer Should You Buy?
10. PowRyte 2000PSI Electric Pressure Washer
With a motor capable of generating up to 2000PSI, 1.80GPM this PowRyte portable is aptly named. It’s more than sufficient to take on all your medium-duty outside washing chores and have them done in far less time than you could with a garden hose.
Featuring the Total Stop System (TSS) it will automatically shut off when the trigger is not in action which not only saves energy, it will also conserve the life of its pump. Caked on dirt, mold, or even stains from dead vegetation, nothing is left after this powerful unit has gone over an area.
- Also featured is an on-board detergent tank ready to use as soon as the unit is plugged in.
- Comes with a durable 35-ft. power cord.
- Convenient “quick connect” spray wand includes 3 different tips.
- On/off switch is not dependable. Unit may occasionally need to be unplugged to stop running.
- Replacement parts can be difficult to locate.
9. Serenelife Electric Pressure Washer
The Serenelife is the kind of multi-tasker we all need. It only weighs 26-pounds and moving it around with its durable wheels is so easy you hardly know it’s there.
A 35 ft. power cord and 25 ft. water hose provide the reach needed for even the most out of the way spots. The turbo hose is water efficient, and the whole environmentally friendly unit takes less power to do a better job than most other pressure washers of its type.
Your neighbors will appreciate how quietly it runs, and you will love how fast the job gets done.
- Doesn’t take up much valuable storage space.
- Universal connectors are easy to switch out.
- Just as easy to use either vertically or horizontally.
- Hose coupling can be difficult to thread correctly.
- Spray adjustment needs two hands to operate.
8. Karcher G2900X Gas Pressure Washer
With a 196cc engine that features a cast iron piston sleeve the Karcher doesn’t have much competition. One big plus about owning a gas operated pressure washer is you don’t have to worry about having a power outlet nearby.
The welded frame is built for endurance and flat-free tires keep it rolling along wherever you need it to go. Pressure washers aren’t something you use every day and they need to be easy to store in between jobs.
The handle on this unit folds down making it easy to park even in the smallest of sheds.
- Detergent tank is removable for easy filling and then clean-up afterward.
- Onboard accessory storage keeps everything right where you need it.
- Buyers are protected by a 3-year engine and 2-year pump warranty.
- Owner’s manual and engine manual show different starting procedures. Very confusing.
- Return shipping is paid for buy the purchaser.
7. Greenworks 1600 Pressure Washer
Grime, grit, and anything else stuck to your exterior walls is gone like it was never there by the time Greenworks is finished with the job. 1600 PSI at 1.2 GPM has the power you need, and a 20-ft. high pressure hose has the reach.
Just plug in the 35-ft. heavy duty power cord (designed for use on all exterior outlets), activate the soap applicator and you’re ready to go. Vertical or horizontal, there’s no angle the Greenworks can’t handle.
Accessories to help you get the job done are included, you don’t have to purchase them separately.
- You can drag the cord along over rough surfaces like concrete or asphalt with no worry of damaging it.
- Being able to aim straight up makes under eaves so much easier to clean.
- Accessories are a big help with detail work.
- Accessories need two hands to attach so you must lay the hose down or turn the unit off to keep the hose from whipping around unattended.
- If the interior hose bursts, you must partially disassemble the unit to make repairs.
6. Excell Gas Powered Pressure Washer
The EXCELL earns its name with a dependable gas-powered engine and all the muscle it needs to thoroughly pressure wash any surface, including lawn furniture that’s too heavy to move for winter storage.
It comes with 5 “quick clip” nozzle tips so you are sure to have exactly what you need no matter what the cleaning project is, and a 25-ft. hose helps you reach wherever you need to go.
A well-constructed roll cage protects against damage if you knock it over, and 10-inch never-flat tires easily cross rough territory with no problems.
- Frame is low-profile, so storage isn’t a problem in small areas.
- Handle folds down and stays out of your way when you don’t need it.
- With on-board storage there’s no need to store the hose separately, and it will always be where you can find it.
- Housing attachment for the hose can break, and though another one is soon on it’s way, you’re still responsible for installing it.
- Washer pump may leak, and this can lead to lower water pressure.
5. Simpson Cleaning Gas Pressure Washer
Simpson puts the power in your hands to tackle any pressure washing job you have lined up. This gas unit is powered by HONDA, a name we all recognize, and you can count on all the power you need to get the job done.
With a flexible, lightweight hose resistant to abrasion and kinks you won’t have to worry about replacing it any time soon (if ever), and M22 connectors keep it securely attached. Included are 5 different nozzles, so no matter what you may have planned you’ll have what you need to do the job right.
- Spray gun is designed with safety lock-out for your protection.
- Does an excellent job on any surface that can take getting wet.
- Engine has a 2-year limited consumers warranty, Pump is covered with a 1-year limited warranty, and the heavy-duty frame has a 5-year limited warranty
- Not well balanced and prone to excessive shaking.
- Choke can be difficult to manage.
4. Generac 6922 Gas Powered Pressure Washer
The designers behind the Generac kept the user in mind with this pressure washer. A cushion grip handle makes it easier to hang on to for longer periods, the spray trigger takes very little effort to operate, and even the hose connections are in a more sensible location.
It couldn’t be more user-friendly, and with 10-inch never flat wheels it can make it over the roughest yard to wherever the work is. Since it’s gas powered, you never need to worry about staying in range of an out-let.
- This residential unit has a lot going for it, including a very useful selection of quick change nozzles.
- Compact, doesn’t need much storage space.
- Easy on the joints and muscles of your hand and arm.
- Thermal release is not securely attached and located in an area where bumping it could tear it completely away from the unit.
- Exhaust is located too close to where hoses attach to the unit so there is a risk of melting holes in them.
3. Greenworks 1500 PSI 13 Amp 1.2 GPM Pressure Washer
This Greenworks pressure washer was designed to cut through grit and grime no matter where you find it. If the surface needing to be cleaned can handle pressurized water, this unit will have it looking its best in very little time.
It’s durable, high pressure hose is 20-ft. long so you don’t have to strain trying to reach an awkward area, and the universal threaded twist on hose & trigger handle add to its advantages. With 35-ft. of power cord available, that’s generally more than enough length to reach any exterior outlet you have.
- Designed for vertical or horizontal use.
- Comes with one 25° and one 40° tip, offering the versatility needed to do an excellent job of cleaning your surfaces.
- Backed by a 1-year warranty.
- Hose tends to tangle and may even kink up at times.
- Spray bottle might develop leaks with frequent use.
2. Sun Joe SPX3001 Electric Pressure Washer
Sun Joe can handle anything from mold on a deck, a winter’s worth of grime hardened into corners, tree sap on your vehicles, or any other surfaces that need a good pressure washing.
Spray is adjustable to suit the task, and the pump is designed to shut off automatically when the trigger is not in use.
With a strong 14.5-amp/1800-watt motor that puts out the kind of power no mold or stain can resist, this is the pressure washer to use on any exterior surface cleaning job you have.
- Backed by a full 2-year warranty and is CSA approved.
- The 5 spray tips included are good for any medium or heavy-duty cleaning job.
- Onboard hose reel helps make clean-up and storage as easy as it gets.
- Some consumers have reported issues with the on/off switch, and the only way to turn the unit off was disconnect it from power.
- Crank handle is too short, and the handle must be unwound to get the hose off.
1. Sun Joe SPX3000 Electric Pressure Washer
Sun Joe has many satisfied fans and this unit is an outstanding example of why that is. No matter what the level of difficulty may be on a cleaning job, this machine can handle anything you need to use it on.
Different surfaces typically require different tools and Sun Joe makes sure you have everything you could possibly need by including 5 quick-connect spray tips with your purchase. Dual, onboard detergent tanks means you will always have what you need, when you need it.
- Comes with a very convenient garden hose adapter.
- Features the “Total Stop System” for auto shut-off whenever the trigger is not in use.
- Backed by a full 2-year warranty and is CSA approved.
- Garden hose connector is difficult to tighten up and tends to leak.
- Always read the fine print. Use of an extension cord will violate the warranty on this unit.
Which Pressure Washer Should You Buy?
If any of these pressure washers caught your eye, click the link provided and see much more detail than could be provided here. However, don’t wait too long to decide because as the weather continues to warm, mold problems will only get worse and may even pose health risks.
My favorite would be # 5, the Simpson because I like the idea of not being dependent on having an outlet nearby. Also, warranties on the engine, pump, and frame make this one an even more attractive deal.