Having a pet dog is great; having a yard full of dog poop is not. It may seem a lot easier just to leave your dogs waste in the grass after they finish their business, but who really wants to have a poop mine field in their backyard?
You can’t walk through the yard without risking stepping on your dog’s leftovers and forget about having guests out there. On top of that, there is the fact that dog poop is bad for the environment and for your four legged friend as well.
While no one really wants to be picking up dog poop, with the right pooper scooper it can be easier than you thought. That means you can keep as much distance between you and the poo, but still get it out of your yard.
So what exactly is it that you need to look for in a pooper scooper to get the best one?
The Benefits of a Pooper Scooper
Owning a dog is a big responsibility and it’s down to you to remove and correctly dispose of their waste. A pooper scooper is a great way to remove your dog’s waste without having to make any contact with it. That means you don’t have to use a poop bag and have the risk of accidents, and the act is much safer and more hygienic.
Since you don’t have to bend down to collect your dog’s waste, a pooper scooper is ideal for anyone with back or joint pain. The handles reach the waste so you don’t have to bend down to collect it.
Some people feel uncomfortable picking up their dog’s waste in public, but using a pooper scooper is a quicker process and keeps you far away from the waste. This is great if you have mutiple pets who you regularly have to clean up after.
Pooper Scoopers Buying Guide
Every pet owner has a criteria to bear in mind during their search. Below are some of the most essential factors to keep in mind for the best pooper scooper for you.
The first factor you should consider is the weight of the pooper scooper. You don’t want anything that’s too heavy as it’ll be difficult to carry – especially if you have a large garden with different areas being a toilet destination.
If you plan to take the pooper scooper with you when you’re walking your dog, we suggest purchasing a lightweight design as this is easier to carry. This will also put less strain on your back, arms and hands as you don’t have to bend over.
You should also bear in mind the floor surface as this will affect the type of pooper scooper and material you choose. For example, if your dog likes to go to the toilet on grass, you’ll need a device that can easily capture their waste on this surface. Alternatively, ones suited for concrete don’t need as much grip to grab the waste.
You know your dog’s waste better than anyone, so make sure you purchase a pooper scooper that’s ideal for their toilet. If it’s too small, you could risk not collecting all of their waste, but anything too big will be difficult to empty into a bin.
You should also consider how often your pet goes to the toilet in your back garden. If it’s often, we recommend a large scoop size so you can collect multiple waste in one scoop.
To establish the best handle length for you, consider your height and health. A pooper scooper should prevent you from bending down, so purchase one that’s the perfect height for this. However, if you want to take the scooper with you on walks, it’s best to choose a device that isn’t too big to carry and can fold away.
The Top 10 Best Pooper Scoopers To Buy
Below we have a list of the top 10 best pooper scoopers on the market in 2019 that are lightweight, but sturdy, and won’t let you down when it comes to scooping up the poop.
10. Spade Set for Pet Waste Removal
Starting out the list is this simple, but effective, pooper scooper. The Spade Set is a great and affordable choice for anyone wanting a pooper scooper that works best on hard surfaces.
Made with a stainless steel collection base that will remain rust free for as long as you own it, this is a very durable scooper.
Another great feature with this scooper is a handle that is 4’long, meaning no bending down to get the waste. The further you can be from the waste when collecting, the better.
This lightweight scoop also has a comfortable rubber grip to make scooping poop a little bit better. If you want a good quality product that is also a simple fool proof design, this is a great option for you!
• A long handle to keep you from having to bend over to remove your dogs waste
• Made of durable and rust proof materials
• It is a very affordable pet waste scooper
• This scooper can be used on grass, although, is really meant for concrete or other hard surfaces. If you want a scooper for only your lawn, this wouldn’t be the best for you.
• The design might be too simple for others needs in a pooper scooper
9. GoGo Stik, The Totally Clean Pooper Scooper
The next item on the list is this two-in-one scooper. After scooping up the poop, the question of, what to do with it now that you’ve scooped it, comes to mind. The creators of the GoGo Stick have thought of the answer for you.
With its lightweight and easy to use design, you can scoop the waste directly into the bag without having to get up close and personal with the waste. Although it comes with ten free perfect fit Dootie Bags, you can use any style of bag.
With an adjustable handle (25″-35″), you can avoid bending over to collect the waste. This is also a perfect scooper to bring with you on walks with your dog. You can even use this scooper on almost every surface.
• Save money using any bag you have in your home already
• Lightweight design with an adjustable handle, making it perfect for walks with your dog
• No clean up after you scoop up the poop
• The bag drags against the grass when scooping the waste, so you have to watch out for any waste that may have smeared onto the bag during the scooping.
• If you live somewhere with lots of gravel, it won’t work well for you.
8. Petmate Clean Response Waste Management System
The Clean Response is another budget friendly option for someone in need of a dependable pooper scooper. This product has a swivel bin design, that you can use ordinary grocery bags in, to scoop the waste directly into.
This particular product also comes with an optimally designed rake that will work on almost any surface and easily gets the waste into the bin. Both the bin and the rake have 3’ long soft comfort-grip handles, so you don’t have to bend over to scoop or collect.
Another great feature with this product is that you are able to hang it up when not using it. And if you only occasionally use it, the Clean Response snaps together in one unit so you can store it in the tightest of places.
• With the long handles you don’t have to bend over to collect the waste
• The Clean Response comes with a rake to help scoop up the poop
• You can save money using grocery bags with this scooper
• If you live in a colder climate area, the rake won’t hold up well to trying to get frozen poop up.
• If you want to dump the waste out into the trash, the swivel design prevents you from doing so
7. OxGord Jumbo Pooper Scooper Dog Waste Scoop Sanitary Pickup Remover
If you want a jumbo sized pooper scooper to get the biggest of messes up with ease, the OxGord Jumbo Pooper Scooper Dog Waste Scoop Sanitary Pickup Remover could be just what you need.
This scooper is a bag free scooper that you’11 only need one hand to use. With a spring action 5 ½” jaw with serrated teeth, simply squeeze the handle and grab. This scooper will get poop up from all surfaces easily and efficiently.
Made with high quality rust proof aluminum and industrial grade plastics, this product will give you years of use. The scooper has a non stick material so after the waste is tossed, it can be easily hosed off.
This scooper will keep you from needing to bend over to scoop waste with a 2’ long handle. This scooper really makes scooping poop a much more tolerable job.
• Easy to use one handed spring action design
• Jumbo size scoop with serrated teeth to get up even the most stubborn poops
• This scooper is made of durable materials so you can use it for years
• If you are a taller person, you may have to still bend over too use this scooper
• If you prefer to scoop right into the bag, this wouldn’t be a good scooper for you
6. Nature’s Miracle 2-in-1 Rake N’ Spade with Pan
Next up on the list is a versatile scooper. Nature’s Miracle 2-in-1 Rake N’ Spade with Pan can be used on all types of surfaces. This light weight scooper eliminates the need to bend over to scoop your dogs waste.
When you store this scooper, you don’t have to worry about any lingering odors. The Rake N’ Spade with Pan has odor blocking technology to prevent any odors from sticking. Not only that, but it also has a non stick surface so your dogs waste can easily be washed off.
• It can be used on most surfaces
• You don’t have to worry about any lingering odors with the odor block technology
• It’s simple design makes it easy to scoop poop without any trouble
• The rake would not work good removing poop in a frozen yard
• After scooping the poop, you still have to dump and wash the pan
5. Four Paws Grass Wire Rake Dog Scooper
If you are one of those who prefers simple, you will really appreciate this scooper. You’ll appreciate it even more when you see how affordable it is compared to some of the other choices on this list.
This rake is made of metal that is rust resistant, which means it is very durable. Not only is it durable, but it is also effective. This rake is easy to use and has a comfortable grip at the end of the handle.
The rake can hold a good amount of waste before it needs to be dumped and can be cleaned easily. This simple scoop is a great option to keeping your yard poop free.
• This is an easy on your budget scooper
• Very easy to scoop poop
• Made with metal that is also rust free, making it very durable
• The spacing in the rake makes it hard to scoop smaller poop.
• This isn’t good for someone with a yard that has dry grass or lots of roots
4. Rake Set for Pet Waste Removal
This next option takes the simple design of the Spade Set for Pet Waste Removal, and steps it up a notch by adding a rake. Also, this set is ideal for picking up waste in grassy areas.
This rake set is made with a stainless steel collection base and a metal rake that both won’t rust. This is a very lightweight, but durable and sturdy, rake set. You can keep and use this set for years to come.
Clean your yard, but keep it sanitary with this set. You won’t have to bend over to clean up after your dog. This set has a long wooden handle that will help you avoid getting down and picking up the poop.
• Great for someone with a grassy yard
• Made with rust free metal
• Makes poop scooping sanitary
• This is not ideal for hard surfaces like a sidewalk
• If you press the tray too hard into the ground, the handle can break off
3. Dogit Jawz Waste Scoop
Do you want a spring action pooper scooper, but you are trying to keep to a budget? This scooper may be in the top three, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be affordable. You’ll be surprised to see how little you’ll have to pay for such a good quality scooper.
The Dogit Jawz Waste Scoop is a lightweight, but sturdy scooper. Made out of strong plastic, it can easily be washed off after it’s done with its job. It also has a contoured rubber grip for your comfort
This scooper only needs one hand to use and is spring-loaded for safe and reliable use. it also has serrated teeth to make poop scooping as easy as it can. This scooper is ideal for use in grass or gravel.
• An affordable spring-loaded scooper
• Great for use in gravel or grass
• Lightweight, but sturdy design
• This is not a good scooper if you want to use it on pavement
• If you are a taller person, you might find this scooper short
2. Arm & Hammer 71034 Swivel Bin and Rake
Next up we have another great scooper. The Arm & Hammer Swivel Bin and Rake is saving backs with its 32” handle so no more bending over to clean your yard. Even better, when using the Arm & Hammer waste bags, you can just tie up the bag and toss it.
The rake and bucket make scooping poop in your yard an easy thing, you can even clean the entire yard thanks to the swivel action and large collection bin.
When the rake and bin isn’t in use you can easily hang it up to keep it off the ground. If you only use this set from time to time or space is tight for you, the set can be disassembled and stored in one unit.
• With a large bin that has a swivel design, you can clean your whole yard
• Perfect for grass or gravel
• Using it with the waste bags means staying sanitary while scooping poop
• Not ideal for use on sidewalks
• You have to hold the bucket to dump it into the trash can
1. Nature’s Miracle Jaw Scoop
Finally, our top rated scooper and our number one product. The Nature’s Miracle Jaw Scoop is a one handed spring-loaded scooper. This scooper comes in either medium or jumbo sizes, so no poop is too big for this scoop.
The hard plastic scoop has a non stick surface, so just hose it off when you’re done cleaning up after your dog. And don’t worry about lingering odors, this scoop has odor blocking technology. As an added bonus, this scoop has antimicrobial protection.
Use this scooper for almost any surface from grass to concrete. Also, don’t worry about getting worn out from carrying this around from poop to poop, this is a very lightweight and easy to use product. This is an affordable option for anyone in the market for a pooper scooper.
Which Pooper Scooper Should You Buy?
Until they create a poop scooping robot, we are, unfortunately, stuck doing it ourselves. However, just because we have to be the ones to clean up our dogs business, doesn’t mean we have to suffer doing it. Having the right tool for your needs can be enough to make it a less undesirable job.
With this list you can get something very simply and straight forward or a more technical if you’d like. There is something for everyone. For me, I’d buy the Dogit Jawz. I like that it’s one handed use, but also is the cheapest spring-loaded scooper on the list.
But don’t just take my word for it, go look at these for yourself and find the perfect pooper scooper for you and your dog.