As someone who uses pocket knives on a regular basis for work and personal reasons, I can tell you first hand that a great pocket knife is an important tool to have for multiple uses.
It should open and close easily, be able to cut a variety of materials with ease, and it should have a blade that holds a sharp edge and rarely needs to be honed.
Beyond being aesthetically pleasing, it should also fit comfortably into your hand, and be very durable. I work construction and I need a pocket knife that is as tough as the work that I do, whether I am simply opening boxes or I am trimming a piece of wood.
I did research on the top 10 knives out there on the market today and all knives are not created equal.
By looking at the various pros and cons of many different knives, looking at the handles, blade edges and reading customer reviews, I was able to pare the list down to the top 10 that I found to be the best pocket knives available on the market in 2019 for people that use pocket knives for ever day purposes, fishing and hunting, and for those that use a pocket knife for work.
Table of Contents
- 10. Pakkawood Handle Michael Corleone Milano Godfather Style Pocket Sword Knife
- 9. Schrade IMP16S Imperial Stainless Steel 3 Blade Pocket Knife
- 8. Wartech 8.5″ Spring Assisted 5 in 1 Pocket Knife
- 7. Case Cutlery 042 Case Medium Stockman Pocket Knife
- 5. Gerber 22-41830 EAB Pocket Knife
- 4. Joker Assisted Open Pocket Knife
- 2. Guardman Credit Card Knife Tool 10 in 1 Camping Knife
- 1. Old Timer 3OT Bearhead Lockback Folding Pocket Knife
- Which Pocket Knife Should You Buy?
10. Pakkawood Handle Michael Corleone Milano Godfather Style Pocket Sword Knife
It’s long and sleek with a 6″ stiletto style blade and an overall length of 13″ when open. It doesn’t require a sheath because it has a belt clip on the back side.
It has a black handle with chrome accents and an automatic button you push to open the blade. It has a very low price so is affordable to anyone looking for a nice pocket knife.
- It’s long blade is great for cutting larger items
- It has a nice belt clip so it can hook easily to your belt or pants
- The slender make of this knife means it will fit into a purse or bag without feeling bulky
- It is very long so it may seem a little much for some people
- I wouldn’t recommend it for every day work use
9. Schrade IMP16S Imperial Stainless Steel 3 Blade Pocket Knife
This sweet little pocket knife has triple stainless steel blades and the handle comes in swirled gray, reddish brown or pearl. It has a regular 2.5″ blade with a sheepsfoot blade, spey blade, and a nail pull.
It’s overall length is 5.9″ when open and 3.4″ when closed. The price is very reasonable and Amazon offers free shipping.
- It’s very lightweight
- It will fit easily into a pocket or purse
- The handles are attractive
- The small blades are difficult to open and can tear your nails up trying to get them open
- If you want to return the knife you pay the shipping plus an additional $6.95 for them to send you another one if it is an exchange
8. Wartech 8.5″ Spring Assisted 5 in 1 Pocket Knife
This cool pocket knife has so many different uses that can’t all be listed here. The knife itself is 8.5″ overall and the black spring assisted blade is made of 440 stainless steel.
It comes with a bottle opener, LED mini light that is detachable and magnetic, has a partially serrated edge and has a built in fire starter. This knife is perfect for camping, hunting, fishing and so much more.
It comes in black, blue, red or green and has a very sharp blade right out of the box. It also has a great price point!
- It has a very nice weight and feel, not too bulky or small, just right
- Great for EDC!!!! (Every Day Carry)
- It has a belt clip and a glass breaker for emergencies
- Some customers complained that the knife came without batteries and they had no idea what size of batteries the LED light takes because they aren’t a standard size.
- The flashlight is not waterproof and it’s illegal to carry this knife in California
7. Case Cutlery 042 Case Medium Stockman Pocket Knife
This beauty has an amber bone blade that is curved for a comfortable grip. The three blades are Tru-sharp surgical stainless steel and the main blade is 2.5″ and it comes with a sheepsfoot and spey blades.
It is great for outdoor activities and is lightweight. The sheath is a very nice looking brown leather and can be purchased separately.
- Made in the USA and comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- It comes out of the box razor sharp
- The handle is genuine bone
- Customers have complained about the mechanics of the blades opening and closing improperly
- Has a high price point
6. Iain Sinclair Design Cardsharp2 Folding Knife
This sleek utility knife is ultra thin and ultra light. It will fit easily into a wallet or back pocket. The surgical stainless steel blade is 2.5″ in length and is razor sharp.
It has a modern polypropylene body and has a unique folding style. It has a great safety lock which means it can’t be opened accidentally.
- It’s very small and can fit into a wallet or small places
- It’s very light weight
- It looks very modern and sleek
- The folding design has confused customers and myself
- Not a great knife for every day use or big cutting jobs
5. Gerber 22-41830 EAB Pocket Knife
This great looking utility style pocket knife has a razor blade and you can use any standard angled razor blades for a replacement which means you never have to worry if it’s sharp and if you happen to be out of blades you simply remove the blade, turn it over, and your knife is ready to go.
It has a pocket clip and is 4.1″ in overall length and it is very light weight.
- The blades are easily removed and replaced
- It fits just about anywhere and the clip means it can hook on a belt or in a pocket
- Great price point
- It’s not really for outdoor use, more of a work utility knife
- Your friends will like it and it may go “missing”
4. Joker Assisted Open Pocket Knife
This pocket knife may have a funny name, but it is a seriously great knife. The 3.25″ stainless steel blade is very sharp and it is 7.5″ in length overall. It has a belt clip and liner lock safety features.
It also has a spring assisted opening mechanism that is easy to use.
- It has a great price point and free shipping from Amazon
- It has multiple uses for different tasks
- The handle looks great, as does the knife overall
- Not really a good EDC knife according to most customer reviews
- The spring assist is a little slow at first and not sure what the hole in the middle is for.
3. TAC-FORCE Spring Assisted Opening Folding Pocket Knife
This pocket knife is the ultimate tactical, outdoor, and rescue knife. It features a 4.25″ 440 stainless steel blade that is partially serrated. It has a nice weight of 5 ounces and has a spring assisted opening blade that is easy to use.
The handle is aluminum and rubber for a comfortable grip. This knife comes with a clip for a belt and comes with a glass breaker built in and a belt cutter.
- Excellent price point and free shipping from Amazon
- It can easily be opened with one hand
- It’s a great EDC knife
- Customers have had issues with the locking mechanism not functioning properly and the blade doesn’t lock after some use
- Some knife blades aren’t as sharp as one would like when you receive it
2. Guardman Credit Card Knife Tool 10 in 1 Camping Knife
This handy little knife is great for the person who loves the outdoors. It conveniently fits into a wallet and is the size of 4 credit cards. The blade is razor sharp and is partially serrated to the tip. It has a notch below the blade for holding rather than a handle.
It comes with a separate can opener and a flip screwdriver all-in-one and a separate pair of tweezers. It also has a 5, 6, and 7 mm nut or bolt wrench built in, compass, magnifying glass and many more great features.
- Great price point
- Small so that it can fit easily into a wallet or back pocket
- Everything clips into place and holds snug
- The biggest complaint has been that everything is small and hard to hold
- The tweezers are plastic, the magnifying glass is tiny and the compass has not worked for some customers.
1. Old Timer 3OT Bearhead Lockback Folding Pocket Knife
I’m pretty sure every kid has had one of these great knives at one time or another. The blade is 2.2″ and made of 7Cr17 High Carbon Stainless Steel. It has sawcut handles for a comfortable grip. The overall length is 5.1″ and it has a very nice weight at .12 pounds.
- Has a great price point
- The blade comes very sharp
- It holds an edge very well
- Customers complained of poor manufacturing in the rivets, they were sticking out
- It’s made in China not the US as stated
Which Pocket Knife Should You Buy?
With that being said, obviously some knives are far better than others and it comes down to a personal choice of what you are using the knife for. For myself, I much prefer the Wartech 8.5″ Spring Assisted 5 in 1 Pocket Knife over all the others.
It had great reviews and a great price point. The fact that this knife has so many multiple uses is part of its appeal as well as the style and that you can order it in different colors, I’m partial to the blue or red. The blade being 440 stainless is another great draw to this knife.