Whether you’re an artist, a student, or your profession requires you to keep pencils well-stocked, you know the importance of not just having excellent pencils, but a high-quality pencil sharpener as well.
There are a plethora of different types of sharpeners out there, so deciding what type would best fit your needs becomes important. Many people opt for an electric pencil sharpener when they use pencils often.
These handy sharpeners are quick and efficient, saving valuable time especially when sharpening pencil is a daily chore. These electric sharpeners also keep messes to a minimum, keeping the shavings in tightly sealed compartments for easy cleaning.
And while it may be a bit more of an investment initially, an electric pencil sharpener pays for themselves in not only time but by sharpening to a clean efficient point. These sharpeners also tend to outlast their manual counterparts as they generally have a sturdier construction as well as just tend to not get lost as often!
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Electric Pencil Sharpeners in 2019
- 10. Zmol Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 9. Bostitch QuietSharp 6 Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 8. X-ACTO TeacherPro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 7. Toolsand Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 6. TripWorthy Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 5. Artist Choice Pencil Sharpener
- 4. Laneco Battery Operated Heavy Duty Helical Blade Pencil Sharpener
- 3. OfficeGoods Electric & Battery Operated Pencil Sharpener
- 2. X-ACTO SchoolPro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 1. School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener
- New Entry!
- Which Pencil Sharpener Should You Buy?
10 Best Electric Pencil Sharpeners in 2019
When shopping around for a quality electric pencil sharpener, you’ll notice that there are many options on the market currently. And since this useful little machine is going to be around your home, office, or class for a while, it’s best to research your options.
But to make things easier for you, here are the 10 best electric pencil sharpeners on the market in 2019, according to our editors.
10. Zmol Electric Pencil Sharpener
Made with high quality, heavy duty materials, this sharpener is made for home, work or the classroom. With three distinct sharpening settings, this one offers the options to have a blunt, medium or sharp point on your pencil.
In addition, it has two power options, both a plug in AC power adapter as well as a battery alternative, making this one good for both in house use or when traveling. It’s small, smooth design fits simply on a desk or in a bag for on the go.
- Clean, small design that’s great for small spaces
- Two power choices for home and away
- Quiet, powerful motor for quick sharpening
- Single sized sharpening hole
- Not recommended for soft lead pencils
9. Bostitch QuietSharp 6 Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener
This sturdy sharpener was first built with the student in mind, with several features designed with kid’s safety in mind. This sharpener features suction cup feet to ensure it remains sturdy and stable use after use.
It also has a safety feature that prevents the sharpeners from functioning whenever the shaving tray is opened, so no little fingers get accidentally cut. Built tough for classroom wear and tear, it transfers well into offices as well or any place with high usage. As an added bonus, this one is available in a couple fun colors!
- Sturdy XHC cutter technology provides up to 70% faster sharpening as well as a 10x longer functioning life
- Quiet sharpening. The heavy duty QuietSharp motor runs at a super hushed noise level
- Multiple holes to accommodate many different types and sizes of pencils
- Bigger and bulkier than some other electric sharpeners
- Meant for speed and high use, not necessarily precision of point
8. X-ACTO TeacherPro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener
This sharpener is a classroom favorite. Designed to last up to 33 times longer than standard sharpeners with an X-ACTO (the same trustable steel as the famous X-ACTO craft knives) fly away steel helical cutter system, no-slip gripping feet, extra-large shaving case and a durable plastic case.
Auto-stop technology, SmartStop, prevents pencils from over sharpening, reducing waste. This sharpeners motor is quiet and strong, with an auto-Reset feature that prevents overheating and prevents possible damage. With 6 different sized sharpening holes, this one is great for a wide assortment of pencil types as well.
- Durable, with sturdy casing and X-ACTO steel blades and metal gearing
- Works for an assortment of pencil types and sizes
- Safety features for classrooms or kids
- Since it’s student geared, it creates a rounded point not a sharp point if needed
- Smaller shavings cup needs to be emptied more often
7. Toolsand Electric Pencil Sharpener
This small, smart sharpener fits in smaller spaces. Standing tall, the top sharpening hole allows optimal room on any desk space. With a lifespan of over 3000 sharpening’s, it’s an affordable offering that stands up to its costlier peers.
The tall, extra-large shavings cup holds up to 100 sharpening’s worth of shavings as well, making this one easy to maintain. With an automatic smart sharpening sensor, each pencil is sharpened to perfection with less waste.
This sharpener also has an auto Jam-Release Patented Gear Design feature, when a jam occurs just pushing down the pencil will automatically release it.
- Affordable, costing several dollars less than similar sharpeners
- Safety Features such as an anti-slip silicon base and automatic shut off feature when the lid is removed
- Space efficient, perfect for small desks and spaces
- Not recommended for soft lead pencils
- Can heat up when overused
6. TripWorthy Electric Pencil Sharpener
Safety and portability are the main features of this sharpener. Small and durable, this one is ideal for teachers, students, and business professionals. Battery powered, this sharpener is built for traveling.
It sharpens both standard pencils as well as colored pencils with ease. It also has an auto-stop feature that automatically stops sharpening when the perfect point has been reached. It’s both kid and adult friendly, with safety features that prevent the sharpener from working if any piece of the outer assembly is missing.
- Small, battery powered and portable for traveling
- Sharpens different types of pencils
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Very small, not recommended for classroom or large office use
- Single sized sharpening hole
5. Artist Choice Pencil Sharpener
Great for artist, engineers, and students, this sharpener is compact and can fit anywhere. Its small design, coupled with being battery powered also means this one travels well, fitting comfortably in backpacks and briefcases with ease.
Pencils are sharpened to a sharp point every time, making this ideal for jobs that need precision.
- Portable, being compact and battery powered
- Powerful, high-end steel blades for a long life
- A great value at an affordable price
- Battery powered only, no backup power source
- Slower than AC powered corded sharpeners
4. Laneco Battery Operated Heavy Duty Helical Blade Pencil Sharpener
This little sharpener is great for on the go. Compact and portable, it’s the perfect option when you need to be in different places often. From classroom to classroom, or office to home office, this sharpener can be easily packed to go anywhere.
Battery operated and durable, it doesn’t need to be close to an electrical outlet to be useful, making it a good option even for the outdoors artist or for studying outside. The blades are made with a heavy duty stainless steel helical blade for a clean sharp point every time.
- Small easy to transport
- Durable, lightweight, environmentally friendly plastic casing
- Battery operated
- Less robust motor than plug in sharpeners
- Single sized pencil hole for limited sized pencils
3. OfficeGoods Electric & Battery Operated Pencil Sharpener
This artist grade sharpener is one of the few on the market that allows the precise type of point you want to be selected. You can choose from blunt, medium or sharp points, perfect for artist or art classrooms.
This sharpener can also be powered three different ways, via either traditional AC Adapter, USB plug or batteries. Available in black, gold and silver colors, with an elegant design, it fits right in with any décor as well. It also works well with graphite, colored pencils and lead pencils making it really versatile.
- One of the few sharpeners around that lets you customize point sharpness
- Different power options allow it to go anywhere
- Attractively designed. Soft lines in a variety of colors lets this sharpener look good on any desk
- Single size sharpening hole
- No auto-stop when pencil is sharp will keep sharpening until pencil is removed manually
2. X-ACTO SchoolPro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener
This sharpener was designed specifically to take a beating. Made for classroom use with heavy duty materials and consistent use this one can stand up to even the most trying circumstances.
With the same design meant to last up to 33 times longer than standard sharpeners with an X-ACTO fly away steel helical cutter system, this model also features a replaceable internal gearing system. Having 6 different sized sharpening holes, it’s perfect for almost all pencil types.
- Heavy duty rugged construction for high usage
- Powerful motor for speedy sharpening
- Safety features for classroom and children’s use
- Larger than other models, not recommended for small spaces
- A little bit on the louder side
1. School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener
This sleek sharpener has a modern design with a large, opaque shavings bin. The opaque bin is clearly marked to show when it should be emptied while staying stylish. Small but efficient, this sharpener will fit into any home or office space.
This sharpener is also reasonably priced, making it a perfect addition when using traditional hard tipped pencils or hard tipped colored pencils. This sharpener creates a sharp, fine pointed tip in about 3 seconds and features an auto-stop mechanism for less wasted pencils. Able to handle a reasonable amount back to back pencil sharpening’s, it’s ideal for offices or small classes.
- Small and sleek, with a nice modern design
- Contains strong helical steel blades along with an auto-stop mechanism allowing optimum point
- Has non-slip rubber pads to ensure it stays stable on any surface
- Single hole for only standard sized pencils
- Not suggested for pencils such as soft point colored art pencils due to clogging
PowerMe Electric Pencil Sharpener
This electric pencil sharpener by PowerMe is one of the best battery operated pencil sharpeners out there. It is lightweight and compact so that you can easily carry it with you but has a strong motor and razor-sharp grinding heads to shave away pencils to perfection without breaking the point. It is ideal for kids and adults alike thanks to its compact design and safety features.
The innovative Auto Stop function locks the motor when the lid is open to keep kids’ hands safe. The PowerMe Electric Sharpener also comes with an auto-jam release system, a transparent and easy-to-clear shavings bin, and a rare 6-month, no questions asked return policy.
It’s best used on classic no. 2 pencils, but does an exquisite job on colored pencils, including watercolor, oil-based pastel, chalk pastel, and soft pastel pencils, too.
- Quality build and thoughtful design
- Powerful and lightning fast (sharpens 1 dull pencil in 3 seconds)
- Transparent and easy-to-empty shavings reservoir
- Auto Stop function when lid is open (ideal tool for classroom)
- Only one hole, for standard or smaller diameter pencils
- You have to hold it when in use
Which Pencil Sharpener Should You Buy?
Everyone’s needs vary, so deciding what sharpener would work best for your specific situation can be time-consuming, but this list should help narrow down the field a little!
For basic everyday use, I personally like the OfficeGoods Electric & Battery Operated Pencil Sharpener. It’s versatility combined with its sleek looks makes this the winner for me. Being able to use it at home, the office or on the go is a feature that can’t be overlooked.
That said, your own needs should help shape the decision for you as a classroom’s needs are different than those of an office which is different still than an engineer’s or graphic designer’s work space!