Whether it’s at home, at work, or in a wheelchair, many people out there are stuck in a seat for hours on end. Regardless of whether it’s for work or leisure, most likely you find yourself doing this regularly.
Undoubtedly, this starts to make you uncomfortable. It starts with the harmless impressions the clothing leaves on your skin, but this inconvenience eventually turns into pain. This is a nuisance, but the pain starts to become more debilitating.
That pain in your coccyx will lead to back pain and eventual spinal cord issues that could end up requiring diagnostic procedures and possibly surgery to fix. The good news is there are options out there to avoid this.
The Benefits of Orthopedic Seat Cushions
Seat cushions are great options to help everyone with comfort and simple designs to relieve the pressure on your coccyx and save your spine. These cushions are also easy to take care of, carry with you, and have a myriad of unique and varied colors and sizes that will serve useful in your car, house, or place of work.
These seat cushions are extremely versatile and portable so you can take them to work, use in the car, or take on a plane journey with you to provide comfort and enjoyment everywhere you go. Plus, they’re small and compact so you can conveniently store them in your luggage.
If you’re used to sitting in pain, you’re likely focusing on that feeling rather than the task at hand. By purchasing an orthopedic seat cushion, you’re more likely to enjoy your workload and be more productive since you won’t be concentrating on how to eliminate back pain.
Although these seat cushions are specifically designed for people with back pain, they provide comfort for everyone sitting on a chair. They’re so easy to use and sit on and can be applied to any type of chair. As these products are cheap to purchase, it’s less expensive to buy one of these rather than an entirely new chair.
Are These Seat Cushions Ideal For You?
Now that we’ve discussed the benefits of orthopedic seat cushions, let’s look at some of the most common signs to look out for if you should purchase one. First, if you experience back pain after sitting down for too long, these cushions can restore wellness by soothing any joint and back pains.
These cushions provide permanent relief, making them a great option if you experiencing a sore back. But, why wait until you have pain to resolve it? If you work in an office where you’re stuck on your chair for hours a day, prevent any pain from happening by purchasing an orthopedic seat cushion from the get-go.
Not only are they a great way to prevent any future discomfort, but are ideal to make rigid office chairs more comfortable.
How To Choose The Best Orthopedic Seat Cushion For Everyone
Not everyone sits in the same location every day, so if you switch from the living room to the office, you’ll need a versatile design. This will mean a comfortable design that can easily fold away to fit in your bag for your travels. It should also be durable and soft so it doesn’t damage any different chair materials.
One of the most important factors during your search is the level of firmness. Typically, they come in a memory foam design or light and portable shape, but both are comfortable. If you encounter regular back pain that is sometimes chronic, a hypoallergenic design with intense firmness is the best choice for you. However, if you’re purchasing a seat cushion merely for additional comfort, a cheaper, lighter one will suffice.
Check that the pillow’s design supports the areas of your back you need to support the most. If you’re struggling to make the right decision, speak to your doctor who can advise you.
We also recommend looking at the cushion’s cover when making your choice since you don’t want a material that will irritate you in the long term. A zippered design is generally the best choice since you can machine wash it after regular use.
The Top 10 Best Orthopedic Seat Cushions To Buy
What are some of the best seat cushions available? What should you look for in a potential seat cushion for you? Read our reviews of the top 10 best orthopedic seat cushions of 2019 below to find the best choice for your needs.
Table of Contents
10. Coccyx Seat Cushion w/Gel
The Coccyx seat cushion is orthopedically recommended and is made up of gel memory foam. This cushion offers relief from sitting pain due to sciatica, lower back pain, and pressure on the tail bone. The ergonomic design of this seat cushion helps you to maintain a healthy posture.
This premium seat cushion is made with a cooling gel on the top and features the best quality memory foam filling underneath. The outer fabric of this seat cushion is a breathable mesh that can be machine washed if needed.
This cushion is easily portable, cooling, and comfortable.
- It serves as an office, wheelchair, and car seat cushion. Whatever your use for it, it helps.
- The memory foam helps to distribute weight evenly. The memory foam contains a high density that even relieves stress when you release from the cushion.
- This cushion can even be used to relieve the back pain associated with pregnancy.
- The memory foam makes it a little larger and heavier to carry around.
9. TravelMate Orthopedic Coccyx Seat Cushion
This is another universal seat cushion for use at work, in your house, and on the go. It has a wide variety of uses both for back pain and for sciatica. It has a gel-enhanced design that molds to the shape of your coccyx and back that improves the support it provides. Once it molds, it helps to improve the way your back sits to relieve the pressure and forces that can cause you to require procedures and surgery.
- This seat cushion has a removable, machine washable cover that makes maintenance easy
- This is one of the more affordable seat cushions available
- This seat cushion doesn’t just prevent injuries. It also helps to heal existing ones. Whether it’s healing a broken coccyx, relieving pressure also, or even sciatica, this seat cushion can help that recovery.
- This seat cushion lacks the memory foam that many of the other seat cushions have, which provides extra support and benefit
- It comes only in a grey-themed color
8. Xtreme Comforts Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion
This seat cushion is specifically recommended for sciatica, back pain, and other existing issues with sitting down. This is a top-end seat cushion that suits multiple situations, such as driving and office work. Similar to other memory foam seat cushions, this does not flatten on seating. By keeping the tailbone suspended, the weight is distributed and prevents health complications from sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Comes with a removable, machine washable cover that makes cleaning and maintenance easy
- Comes with a two-year money-back guarantee that sets this seat cushion apart from others
- The memory foam never goes flat, giving extra height while driving
- This cushion will only ship to the USA.
- At 2 pounds this is one of the heavier options out there, making transportation somewhat challenging
7. Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Seat Cushion
This orthopedic seat cushion is perfect for pain relief. The memory foam cushion provides outstanding tailbone support and is perfect for home, office, and car use. The memory foam does not go flat. This seat cushion comes in a U shape that will ensure your posture improves dramatically with use.
The memory foam used in this cushion is 100% pure and does not contain any additives so you know that you’re getting the best possible quality. The pillow responds to the heat of your body and molds perfectly to the shape of your bottom.
- The cushion is made of 100% pure memory foam
- It features heat responsiveness
- It is orthopedic doctor recommended
- It comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee
- When used on the floor, it can be challenging to stand up from this low-seated position
- There is no cooling pad so the seat can get quite warm after long use
6. Milliard Memory Foam Seat Cushion
This seat cushion was specially designed by pain specialists and osteopathic professionals with years of experience treating people with chronic pain. This is one of the newer designs on the market that attempted to fix the flaws of other models. This cushion is good for numbness, soreness, posture issues, and fatigue. Made of memory foam, it will relieve the forces that cause spinal injury.
- This cushion comes with a handle for easy lifting and transport.
- This cushion is also machine washable.
- It has an anti-slide liner on the bottom of the cushion so you won’t end up sliding across the floor.
- The built in handle can also get in the way and cause pain for larger individuals who may sit on or against the handle.
5. Comfilife Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
This memory foam seat cushion is great for those with nerve pain and sciatica. Whether sitting in the sofa or office chair, car or truck, this cushion is ideal for hard seats at games and concerts as well. This cushion also improves your posture and will cause you stand straighter. This seat is also perfect for people with back pain associated with pregnancy.
- This seat cushion has sides that come up and prevent you from falling off of the cushion.
- This cushion has an anti-skid coating on the bottom that prevents the cushion from sliding.
- This product is specially contoured to support your legs as well as your back.
- This product only comes in a gray color.
- While the handle is easy to transport, larger people may end up sitting on or against the handle, causing discomfort.
4. Socket Seat – Memory Foam Sit Bone Relief Cushion
This memory foam seat cushion is used to relieve back pain, sciatica, and even hemorrhoids. It is extremely comfortable and takes the pressure off every bone during sitting.
This cushion is made up of high-density memory foam, 3D spacer mesh, durable vegan leather, and soft velvet. The innovative design features two holes, a tailbone cut-out, and ergonomic contours that alleviate pressure from sitting bones, hips, lower back, and hamstrings.
The zippered cover allows for easy cleaning and the seat has a built-in carry handle.
- Amazing comfort and innovative ergonomical design
- High-quality materials
- This product has a removable machine washable cover that makes care and maintenance easy
- 100-day pressure-free trial
- This is one of the most expensive products on the market.
- It may seem quite bulky to some people
3. Large Seat Cushion with Carry Handle and Anti Slip Bottom
This memory foam cushion was designed to relieve tailbone, sciatica, and lower back pain. This cushion was engineered for providing support to the caudal vertebrae, which reduces pain and stress on the tailbone. Even with prolonged use, the cushion will remain strong and maintain blood supply to the caudal region of the spine. This prevents pain and numbness.
The non-skid bottom on this seat cushion means that you can comfortably sit without sliding around and while maintaining the comfort your butt and back needs. It also features a carry handle so that you can easily transport your seat cushion wherever you wish to take it.
- This cushion is extremely comfortable
- It has a zipped cover for easy cleaning
- The cushion is lined with anti-skid materials on the bottom to prevent sliding.
- It is quite large
2. CYLEN Home-Memory Foam Bamboo Charcoal Infused Ventilated Orthopedic Seat Cushion
The amazing bamboo charcoal infusion on this seat cushion provides superb ventilation ability and reduces the temperature from rising while sat on it. The state-of-the-art memory foam filling on this seat cushion provides premium quality seating comfort and offers great pain relief.
The newly modified cover on this cushion provides maximum air flow and offers a non-slip feature. As a bonus, this particular seat cushion also comes with a five-year warranty and a sixty-day no hassle return policy. The company prides itself on customer satisfaction and you can be sure that you are receiving a high-quality product and the best customer service.
- This seat cushion features bamboo charcoal infusion
- It contains a state-of-the-art memory foam filling
- There is a non-slip feature on the bottom for added comfort and convenience
- It comes with an amazing five-year warranty
- It is quite bulky compared to some competitor cushions
1. FOMI Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion
This is a comfortable seat cushion that assists in removing lower back pain and tailbone pressure. This cushion can also relieve pressure on areas that can lead to development of ulcers and sores. The small cushion design makes it a good choice for both home and office use. This cushion will also aid in improving back posture, promoting long term spinal health.
- One of the lightest product on the market, making for easy transport from place to place.
- It has a removable, machine-washable cover that makes cleaning and maintenance easy.
- This product is not made of memory foam, meaning it doesn’t provide many of the benefits the other choices do. This also means it will wear out quicker.
- This product will collapse when used for prolonged periods, removing many of the benefits it provides.
- It’s one of the more expensive options.
Which Orthopedic Seat Cushions Should You Buy?
Ultimately, there are a host of different cushions out there in a wide variety of designs, materials, and prices. The more severe or unique your symptoms and pain are, the more specific the seat cushion you’re looking for.
Memory foam cushions tend to be more expensive and heavier but provide the added benefit of shaping to your body and not collapsing when used. These stronger cushions also last longer than others.
Easy transport and care of the product are also important for its continued. If you’re tired of dealing with constant back pain, check out these products today. You won’t be disappointed.