When it comes to creating the ideal kitchen, there are many useful accessories that you will need. One such item is an onion cutter. The onion cutter comes in handy by helping you easily chop up any type of onion right in the kitchen without needing a knife.
Choosing to use this device will allow you to be able to speed up your cooking process. But with so many different types of onion choppers on the market, picking one out can be a challenge. That’s where we come in.
How To Choose The Best Onion Chopper For You
Before we share the top 10 best onion choppers on the market right now, there are some considerations to make.
Manual or Electric
During your search, you’ll find two different types of onion choppers. How do you know which one is best for you? A manual device is great for traveling in a camper van etc., since it’s a safer option and you can conveniently back it without a safety hazard.
However, manual choppers aren’t a good option for people with poor strength in their hands since you have to put the work in yourself. There are some varieties of manual choppers though, such as ones that come equipped with a pull-cord, making it easier to use.
On the other hand, an electric model is easy for everyone to use since the device handles all of the work for you. The results are much more even too, making this a perfect solution if you’re hosting a family dinner.
Electric choppers come in a convenient, easy-to-use device, which means you can store them on your countertop ready for the next use. However, keep out of contact of young children for their own safety.
You should also consider how you’ll wash and maintain the device so it’s spotless for the next use. A chopper that’s safe to use in the dishwasher is more convenient that separating the parts to clean the unit yourself. Plus, you’ll achieve cleaner results that improve the unit’s hygiene.
As well as convenience and effectiveness, a dishwasher-safe chopper is safer since you don’t have to remove steel blades to wash the separate parts by hand, where you could potentially cut yourself.
How big do you need the onion chopper to be? This is another important factor since you want the unit to hold all the ingredients you need without having to repeat the process. The average onion chopper can hold 1-4 cups in total, though the later units take up more room and are louder when switched on.
Bear in mind how you usually cook. Do you like to prepare food in advance or cook on the day? Your answer will determine the capacity you need.
Sometimes, devices break by accident. We recommend looking at the warranty the manufacturer offers so you have confidence when using your chopper in the kitchen. In the event a part accidentally brings due to no fault of your own, could you easily return this for a refund/exchange?
We also recommend looking at how accessible parts for the device are. Can you purchase them directly from the manufacturer’s website or will obtaining what you need be a hassle? You can check customer reviews too, and see that past customers have to say about the warranty.
The Top 10 Best Onion Choppers To Buy
Below I have created a list of my top 10 best onion choppers in 2019, so you can take a look at their features without having to do a large amount of research.
Table of Contents
- How To Choose The Best Onion Chopper For You
- The Top 10 Best Onion Choppers To Buy
- 10. OXO Good Grips Chopper
- 9. French Fry Cutter Onion Chopper Vegetable Slicer Nicer Dicer
- 8. Cuisinart CTG-00-SCHP Stainless Steel Chopper
- 7. BLACK+DECKER HC306 1-1/2-Cup One-Touch Electric Chopper
- 6. Chef’n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Food Chopper
- 5. Brieftons Multi-Vegetable Chopper
- 4. StarryBay Onion Multi Chopper
- 3. Ninja Express Chop
- 2. Hamilton Beach 8-Cup Food Processor
- 1. Vidalia Chop Wizard
- Which Onion Chopper Should You Buy?
10. OXO Good Grips Chopper
There is no vegetable that this OXO chopper is unable to chop. Beginners and expert chefs are able to easily cut vegetables with this one tool. It has the ability to chop and mince garlic, shallots, nuts and onions.
Setting up this onion slicer is an easy task. All you have to do is simply place the vegetables over the blade and then pull the arm all the down.
The OXO Good Grips Choppers come with blades are able to rotate, which enables you to be able to chop any and all vegetables into little tiny pieces. To chop them up even finer all you have to do is rotate the moving arm in a clockwise direction.
The blade cartridge is removable, which means clean up an easy task. With a comfortable knob system, you are able to chop for hours with injuring your hands.
- Easy to clean blades.
- Internal bumper helps dampen vibrations of the spring inside the chopper.
- The enclosed capsule will help contain onion vapors, which means tear-less onion chopping.
- Can only chop 1/4 of an onion at a time.
- Blades do not stay sharp for long.
9. French Fry Cutter Onion Chopper Vegetable Slicer Nicer Dicer
There are no special skills that are required to use this Culina chopper. All you have to do is push the lever down. It is non-electric which means that you do not have to worry about being close to an electrical outlet.
When it comes to using this chopper, you will need to cut the vegetables into smaller more manageable pieces. In most cases small or medium fruit and vegetables will only need to cut in half.
This French Fry Cutter Onion Chopper Vegetable Slicer Nicer Dicer comes in 7 pieces. Which includes a base that comes will removable cleaning round discs.
- Comes with its own food saver storage containers, which keeps food fresh for days.
- 2 different stainless steel blades allow for two types of chopping.
- Blade assembly sits on top of food, which makes for easy chopping.
- Need to cut vegetables into smaller pieces in order to chop them.
- Use all body-weight into order to chop.
8. Cuisinart CTG-00-SCHP Stainless Steel Chopper
Cuisinart CTG-00-SCHP Stainless Steel Chopper works wonders for all of your vegetable chopping needs. It also has the ability to chop hard cheeses, herbs, garlic, and even nuts. This chopper is able to dice, mince, and chop with a simple push of a handle. Simply push the handle down and you will be well on your way to chopping up anything.
The removable non-skid base will make it easy for you to chop without needing to use a cutting board. Being made out of stainless steel means that this chopper will be able to chop onions for many years to come.
- Dishwasher safe makes it easy to clean.
- Can chop, dice, or mince a wide selection of foods.
- Stainless steel blades allow for easy chopping.
- Food gets easily stuck in the blades.
- Rotating blades get stuck after a few uses.
7. BLACK+DECKER HC306 1-1/2-Cup One-Touch Electric Chopper
This 70-watt chopper will have you chopping up onions without shedding a tear. It comes with one speed and a pulse function. A safety lock feature makes it safe for anyone to use.
The Black & Decker HC306 comes with bi-level stainless steel blades what will quickly chop up any and all vegetables. The blades will also allow you to chop, mince, and dice up anything. You will also never have to worry about the blades getting dull because they are made out of stainless steel.
Simply toss in the food that you want to chop and simply press down the one-touch pulse control button. The bowl is able to hold up to 1.5 cups of dips, salsa, or pesto. Chopping has never been easier.
- All parts of dishwasher-safe, which makes for an easy cleanup.
- Lid comes with a safety lock.
- The design is small and compact so it can easily fit on any counter-top.
- Bits of food gets easily stuck between the cover and the blade, which causes the machine to turn off.
- Makes a loud noise when chopping up vegetables.
6. Chef’n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Food Chopper
The Chef’n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Food Chopper is a great non-expensive option for those looking for a professional chopping option. This chopper is able to handle large pieces of fruit, vegetables, and meats. Which means that you are able to easily make batches of pesto, salsa, guacamole, and hummus.
The lightweight design makes it easy to use. This is an hand-powered chopper which makes it great for small kitchens, travel, and camping.
Place all ingredients into a container and lock the lid into place. Then take the handle and pull the cord. Which will cause the blades to start spinning and quickly chop up any food that is in the containers.
- Every part of this chopper is able to be tossed into the dishwasher.
- Compact size means it will fit into any kitchen.
- The container also comes with a lid that means you are able to store food in it.
- Need to use both hands to be able to work this onion chopper.
- Has some problems chopping hard vegetables, like carrots.
5. Brieftons Multi-Vegetable Chopper
Being busy all the time means, that often times you are unable to chop up vegetables. But the Brieftons Multi-Vegetable Chopper makes it easy to chop or dice up anything. This means that you can chop, slice, and even dice fruit, vegetables, and cheese.
Simply place the onion or another vegetable into the middle of the slicer, and push the top down. The heavy metal blades at the bottom will easily and effortlessly chop up any vegetable. Blades are made out stainless steel, and this chopper comes with 2 blade sets. The bottom storage area makes it easy for you to be able to store the chopped up vegetables.
- 4 different blades make it easy to chop anything.
- Easy to clean because it is dishwasher safe.
- Able to chop vegetables with one swift and easy motion.
- Everything is made out of plastic, which can deteriorate quickly.
- Not sturdy enough to chop up carrots or potatoes.
4. StarryBay Onion Multi Chopper
StarryBay Onion Multi Chopper will quickly become your favorite chopper. It has the ability to chop and slice up a wide variety of vegetables and fruits.
The blades are made out of high-quality stainless steel. Which means that they are durable and very easy to clean. StarryBay Onion Multi Chopper comes with 8 different slicer blades which means you can chop vegetables and fruits in many different ways.
The onion chopper is easy to store. Everything is able to be stored into the chopping container. Which means that you can easily keep track of all the pieces.
- Numerous blades mean you can slice, dice, and chop up any vegetables and fruits.
- Slip-resistant rubber footing means that it will prevent any slipping accidents from happening.
- All the pieces are dishwasher safe.
- Pieces are made out of plastic, which means it will break easily.
- Takes a lot of pressure to chop hard vegetables.
3. Ninja Express Chop
The Ninja Express Chop is able to chop, grind, and blend up ingredients easily. This makes it easy for you to chop up onions, garlic, and nuts easily. With 200 watts of power, you are able to make meal preparation very simple. The container is able to hold up to 3 cups of food.
With great pulse technology at the push of a button, you are able to get consistent results. The non-slip base and splashguard will ensure that everything will stay in the chopper bowl. As an added bonus, it comes with a lid that that will keep food fresh.
- BPA Free and Dishwasher safe chopping bowl.
- One-touch pulse system improves chopping precision.
- 3 cup container capacity.
- Top motor is big and bulky.
- Unable to load food into processor while it is running.
2. Hamilton Beach 8-Cup Food Processor
The Hamilton Beach 8-Cup Food Processor works as a very fast, versatile, and efficient processor. Having a 450-watt motor means that this processor is able to chop and mince every vegetable and fruit you throw into it. The motor will allow you to easily chop up meat, nut, and even ice.
It comes with 2 speeds and a pulse control that allows you chop and mince everything. The chopping bowl is able to hold 8 cups of food. The blades are made out of stainless steel.
It comes with a wide feed chute which means that you are able to easily add more food into the container. The wide chute also means that you can add in large chunks of food which will save you time.
- The processor is lightweight.
- Stainless steel S-Blade easily chops all vegetables.
- Wide feed chute.
- Not able to make bread dough like other food processors can.
- Motor burns out quickly.
1. Vidalia Chop Wizard
Vidalia Chop Wizard is a must have for every kitchen. It allows you to chop up onions, other vegetables, and even cheeses easily. The overall design of this chopper makes it easy and simple to use.
It can chop and dice up fruit and vegetables without crushing them into a pulpy mess. The blades are made out of stainless steel, which means that it is durable and will resist corrosion. It comes with two different sizes of blades that you allow to pick which size you want to have everything chopped at.
- Catch container also works as a measuring cup.
- Comes with a lid cleaning tool, and everything is dishwasher safe.
- Compact, lightweight design.
- Have to use a lot of pressure to push handle down.
- Hard to clean little grooves.
Which Onion Chopper Should You Buy?
With so many onion slicers to choose from this list of the top 10 choppers has something for every kitchen. My top pick would be the Ninja Express Chop. I would choose this one because I tend to make a lot of salsas and other dips. This chopper will make it easier to large quantities of dips.