We all know moisturizing is good for your skin, but what if you have naturally oily skin? The best moisturizer for oily skin balances your need for replenishment while maintaining overall skin health.
Your skin is vital to health and appearance. As many of us know, skin is the largest organ in the human body. What many might not fully appreciate is that skin acts as your barrier against the elements. Several factors contribute to skin types, such as genetics, diet, weather, and lifestyle.
All About Moisturizers
What are moisturizers? At their most essential, moisturizers are topical products that decrease skin dryness. But, that's not all. Moisturizers also protect skin, even out skin tone and texture, and can help cover-up minor imperfections.
Many might think that moisturizers are oily. They can be greasy, as in the case of using a pure oil-based natural moisturizer, such as coconut oil or cocoa butter.
However, the true function of a moisturizer is not adding oil to the skin, but holding water in the outer layer of the skin. Moisturizers act as barriers.
Our skin is in a constant state of action. Skin cells die, new ones are born, and natural oils accumulate and disperse.
When we wash our skin, moisture can be stripped from its crucial outermost layer. Soap notoriously dries the skin, but even just a water rinse can remove essential natural oils that protect the skin.
What moisturizers do
Moisturizers add water back to our skin, keeping it supple and protected and holding it in. Skin often becomes dry during cold months when humidity levels are low. This effect, called "transepidermal water loss," is how skin loses moisture.
Moisturizers work by trapping moisture in your skin to keep it from escaping through evaporation and by restoring fluids to the outer layer. There are various types of moisturizers from old-school balms to science-heavy humectants and emollients.
Different skin types require different types of moisturizing.
Oil helps preserve skin, but can also contribute to acne. Since oil is a frequent ingredient in moisturizers, those with oily skin may develop complexion problems. The best moisturizer for oily skin will balance the need for protection and moisture with the negative effects of over-oiling the skin.
General price range for moisturizers
The best moisturizer for oily skin is not necessarily the most expensive. The prices for moisturizers can range from a few dollars to around $$$.
The products we chose, however, are all within a budget-friendly rage of between $ and $$.
How we reviewed
We extensively reviewed expert recommendations and user ratings in our effort to find the best moisturizer for oily skin. Skin types vary widely, so a broad range of user reviews was especially helpful in determining real people's experiences.
Top 7 Best Moisturizers for Oily Skin
We decided on seven contenders for the best moisturizer for oily skin. We covered well-known brands available at local mega stores and pharmacies and some lesser-known complexion tools.
Read on to find the best moisturizer for oily skin.
- 1.7-fluid ounce jar of Neutrogena Hydro Boost hydrating water-gel face moisturizer with hyaluronic acid to hydrate dry...
- Gel moisturizer formula provides hydration to skin, leaving it looking smooth and supple day after day
- Hyaluronic acid, a hydrator found naturally in the skin, attracts moisture and locks it in. 100% alcohol free
With hyaluronic acid, a natural skin component, Neutragena's Hydro Boost is a water-gel product that leaves skin smooth and supple.
It is alcohol-free, so it doesn't dry out oily skin. Rather, the natural hyaluronic acid works like a sponge, absorbing water and keeping it available for your skin.
It is oil-free, too, which helps make it one of the best moisturizer for oily skin. It's widely available and effective. Although, at only 1.7 ounces, you may find yourself needing to restock more often. This product is rated 4.3 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- Rejuvenating Moisturizer and Face Cream From ALL NATURAL and CERTFIED ORGANIC Ingredients which naturally aid in the...
- All Natural & Certified Organic Ingredients. Purified Water, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax w/ Pollen &...
- Four Creams in One - No need to purchase so many different creams / moisturizers / lotions. ALL IN ONE Eye, Face, Neck...
To battle acne-prone skin, look no further than the natural benefits of tea tree oil. BeeFriendly uses a formulation of this natural wonder oil to create a great moisturizer for oily skin.
It may seem counterintuitive to add oil to an oily face, but tea tree oil not only balances the skin, but it also treats acne scars. This product also adds a blend of natural ingredients to create the ideal moisture for oily skin. This product is rated 4.1 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- Advanced Anti-Aging. Maximum strength Retinol formula delivers lifting, brightening, and rejuvenating benefits to the...
- High Potency Results. Infused with a carefully balanced blend of highly effective anti-aging and wrinkle-fighting...
- Triple Duty Beauty Benefits. With a lightweight texture and zero residue, Retinol Cream absorbs immediately to leave...
Another natural product that is a candidate for the best moisturizer for oily skin, LilyAna Naturals retinol cream uses a vitamin A formulation to hydrate without a greasy residue.
The addition of vitamin A can be somewhat drying to the skin, but LilyAna balances this ingredient with hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, green tea, shea butter, and jojoba oil. This moisturizer not only adds and retains moisture, but it also reduces fine lines and fades sun damage and other blemishes.
It doesn't clog pores or cause breakouts and works well for people with all skin types, not just oily skin. This product is rated 4.2 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- ✅ WE'VE ROUNDED UP THE BEST ANTI-AGING skincare ingredients to create this wrinkle-reducing, glow-inducing...
- ✅ INFUSED WITH 20 MOISTURIZING age-defying vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to help smooth fine lines and control...
- ✅ THIS LIGHTWEIGHT, SILKY CREAM is packed with face care "miracle ingredients" MSM and CoQ10. Because it combines...
The best moisturizer for oily skin may also be one that is ideal for anti-aging.
The Beauty by Earth face moisturizer gives you this benefit and more. With over 20 moisturizing and age-defying ingredients, this product controls oil and smooths fine lines and wrinkles. One benefit of naturally oily skin is that it is often less prone to wrinkles.
This moisturizer puts your natural oil to work, keeping you youthful and hydrated. This product is rated 4.6 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- ECOCERT CERTIFIED: This Formula Is Organic With A Strong Organic Scent, For People Who Like Vegan And Certified Organic...
- HYDRATE: Hemp Oil is incredibly hydrating with its Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acids while Hyaluronic Acid maximally...
- SUPERCHARGED: Omega-3 & 6 fatty acids may moisturize the skin and relieve red, dry, or itchy skin. That is because...
Another product that delivers moisture and anti-aging benefits is O Naturals Anti-Aging Night Cream.
With a hemp seed oil formulation, this product promises to rejuvenate skin and smoothe wrinkles. It is a night cream, so it can take a spot alongside your favorite daily moisturizer. This cream is excellent for all skin types, but its natural and balanced ingredients help keep oily skin in check.
By extending your moisturizing regimen to nighttime, this cream helps prepare your skin for the day ahead. This product is rated 4.2 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- Hydrate, plump & nourish: Anti-aging, dark spot fading pure hyaluronic acid serum for face that will replenish hydration...
- Plump fine lines! Locks moisture in & supports healthy collagen to help plump skin for less noticeable fine lines &...
- Safe for sensitive skin: Protect & nourish even the most sensitive of skin with this hyaluronic acid serum, including...
Often, the best moisturizer for oily skin is not a cream or lotion, but rather a serum.
Yeouth's pure hyaluronic acid is simple and effective. It contains nothing but hyaluronic acid. Since that is a naturally occurring component of healthy skin, adding a coating of it to your facial routine amplifies its benefits. It is safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin, Since it contains no oils of any kind, it is non-greasy.
All you have to do it add a touch to damp skin and the natural ingredient locks in moisture, plumping and hydrating skin. This product is rated 4.3 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
With a name like "water drench," you know Peter Thomas Roth's hydrating cream packs a moisture punch.
Made only with the best skin-friendly ingredients, this moisturizer combines the power of ingredients such as nigra fruit extract and hydrolyzed silk with hyaluronic acid. This fluffy, light cream works for all skin types but is interestingly effective on dry and oily skin. This product is rated 4.2 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
What Is the Best Moisturizer for Oily Skin?
With all of these choices, it might seem difficult to pinpoint the best moisturizer for oily skin.
While each of these products has its benefits, we believe that sticking to simple natural ingredients is the best path towards balanced skin. Since we also love the effect of tea tree oil, we recommend the Era Organics tea tree moisturizer for your oily-skin needs.
Do you have personal experience with any of these products? We'd love to hear your thoughts. Comment below and help us further inform and educate our readers.