The dream of catching a wave out on the water on a gorgeous day can make anyone want to grab a board and head for the beach. Longboards can provide you with a great ride even when there isn’t a great surf, and most beginners find them easier to learn on than shorter and more slippery boards. A good length for beginners is around 9 ft 6 in, but if you already know what length longboard feels good to you you can easily go up or down from there. You want the best longboard you can get for your money.
If you want the waild ride you need to have the best longboard. A board with a wide middle point will be easier for most beginners to learn on, as it makes for a more stable platform and makes it easier for you to step around on the board and avoid a nose dive.
If you are trying to surf in all weather conditions, even on smaller, choppier, and more unpredictable waves like those that are common in Florida, a long wide board will make it easier for you to get a good ride even off of such waves. Rails will help you control your board and can allow you to turn and generate your own speed on a wave. The softer the rail, the more forgiving the ride in case you make a misstep, but also the less control you’ll have in case you want to twist and turn in the waves.
The bottom contour can also affect your ride dramatically, with a dramatic V in the back giving you more control and faster turns, but also making the ride more challenging to control for a beginner. Think carefully about the kind of waves you want to surf, and whether you have the choice to wait out mediocre surfing days and only go on the best days or whether you want to make the most of every trip to the beach to choose the best longboard for your needs.
Table of Contents
- 10. Wavestorm 8′ Surfboard, Brushed Graphic
- 9. Gold Coast Surfboards Soft Top Surfboard | 7’ Ruccus Surf Board
- 8. Rock-It 8′ BIG SOFTY Surfboard
- 7.BIC Sport DURA-TEC Surfboard
- 6. Gold Coast Surfboards Soft Top Surfboard | 8’8 Heritage Surf Board
- 5. California Board Company Surfboard (8-Feet) Assorted Colors
- 4.RAYSTREAK Surfboards/Soft Top Surfboard/7’2” Surf Board
- 3. Scott Burke 8′ Soft Surfboard Package, White/Red
- 2. 8’5 North 2 Fiberglass Core Soft Top Longboard Surfboard
- 1. Surftech Learn2Surf Softop Surfboard | Super Durable Soft Surf Board
- Which should you buy?
10. Wavestorm 8′ Surfboard, Brushed Graphic
This 8 ft board comes with cool graphics and includes a removable ankle leash and a fin set. 8 feet is a great length board for learning to surf, and this classic board is light, soft, and easy to handle so that beginners will not be put off surfing by a bad first experience.
The EPS core of this board features three marine ply stringers and a resilient EBS top deck that features a textured grip that will make it easy for you to hold onto the board with your feet. The slick bottom gives this surfboard power over the waves.
- cool and attractive graphics
- removable ankle leash and included fin set
- EPS core
- weight capacity is only up to 200 pounds
- same board is available elsewhere for cheaper
9. Gold Coast Surfboards Soft Top Surfboard | 7’ Ruccus Surf Board
This efficient board can easily support beginner riders and give a great first ride. The Croc skin texture provides a great grip for your feet, while the diamond weave slick bottom deck provides a fast ride. The core is EPS closed cell form for an ultra buoyant feel.
There is a rubber bumper on the tail so that when you store this board upright you will not damage it. The double concave on the bottom deck provides added speed.
- tail bumper to protect it in storage
- diamond weave slick bottom for a fast ride
- EPS closed cell foam provides for buoyancy
- not as maneuverable as some other longboards
- not many color options
8. Rock-It 8′ BIG SOFTY Surfboard
This longboard is designed to be the easiest for you to learn on, with a big buoyant frame that is easy to paddle and is turnable without using stability. This is a great board for beginner surfers, as the high-quality construction will stand up to rugged use.
The two wooden stringers along with multiple layers of fiberglass and epoxy wrapped around a core that is made of a recycled foam provide a lot of durability in an environmentally friendly design.
- big board and frame that is easy to learn on
- multiple layers of fiberglass and epoxy for durability
- environmentally friendly materials
- can be heavy and awkward to maneuver on the ground
- at around $300 this is an expensive surfboard
7.BIC Sport DURA-TEC Surfboard
This versatile surfboard will have you out on the water and having fun whether you are a beginner or intermediate surfer. This board is easy to ride but still is designed with performance in mind. It combines the stability of a longboard with surprising maneuverability so that you can learn how to surf on this board and then keep on improving your skill on the same board, for years of fun at a good value.
- the versatile surfboard that combines the stability of a longboard with maneuverability
- durable construction is not easily damaged
- 3D traction pad so you won’t slip
- at around $350 this is rather expensive for a longboard
- simple color choices, no fun graphics
6. Gold Coast Surfboards Soft Top Surfboard | 8’8 Heritage Surf Board
This sturdy board can support riders of up to 230 lb and provides a sturdy surface for beginners. The foam board top deck is textured with a croc skin design that will make sure you don’t slip off the board while you are maneuvering.
The EPS closed cell foam core creates great buoyancy while the 2 + 1 stringer system provides durability. This board is equipped with a tail bumper so that you can safely stand it up to store it. This eight foot eight board is long enough to catch even the smallest waves with ease.
- designed for stability and ease-of-use
- croc skin design for no-slip grip
- support riders up to 230 lb
- will not perform as well for riders at the upper scale of the weight limit
- heavier than competing boards
5. California Board Company Surfboard (8-Feet) Assorted Colors
This attractive board will have you looking good on the beach with the old-fashioned looking laminated wood design. The core is 100% waterproof so you will maintain buoyancy for the long-term and the HD polyethylene slick bottom gives you a fast ride. It also provides for good steering.
- good-looking and stylish board
- big and fast enough to catch even small waves
- you may not receive the color you want
- often arrives with some damage
4.RAYSTREAK Surfboards/Soft Top Surfboard/7’2” Surf Board
These good-looking epoxy boards are a little more affordable than the competition at around $250. The Poplar stringers are double reinforced and epoxy seal for durability. The foam core is 100% waterproof EPS for long-term buoyancy.
The crocodile skin design utilized in this surfboard creates anti slippery performance and the HDPE slick bottom offers excellent speed as well as rigidity. This board is equipped with both nose and tail bumpers for added protection and the hot pressed IXPE skin will resist scratches and dents.
- both nose and tail bumpers
- buoyant foam core
- slick bottom for speed and agility
- only comes in 2 colors without fun graphics
- nose guard may slow your ride slightly
3. Scott Burke 8′ Soft Surfboard Package, White/Red
This good-looking board has eye-catching graphics and an effective design in an affordable board under $300. The slick bottom is heat laminated high-density polyethylene so that you can feel confident of a fast ride. Three multi-layered wood stringers are molded for durability.
This board comes with fins, as well as a surf leash with precision molded fittings and a double swivel so that you won’t get caught up on your leash.
- eye-catching graphics
- affordable board
- three multi-layered wood stringers for durability
- only comes in one color and pattern
- no tail guard
2. 8’5 North 2 Fiberglass Core Soft Top Longboard Surfboard
This cool looking board is perfect for beginners due to its ultra durable and buoyant design. This board weighs only 10 lb although it is eight and a half feet long, so it will be easy for even a beginner to move around the beach and in the water.
The high-quality fiberglass, as well as the EPS foam core, create durable buoyancy while the thermoplastic soft skin feels good and is gentle on your skin while being durable enough to resist damage.
- striking blue and pink design
- eight and a half foot length is great for beginners
- weighs only 10 lb
- only comes in one color choice
- at around $400 this is one of the pricier longboards you can buy
1. Surftech Learn2Surf Softop Surfboard | Super Durable Soft Surf Board
This is the original Surftech Soft that beginners have been learning on for over 20 years. You can get this longboard in lengths from 7 ft 6 to 12 ft so you can choose the perfect board for the kind of waves you want to catch. These boards are durable and long-lasting.
The design on the board is not just to look good, it tells beginners where to put their feet and stomachs when they are paddling or surfing, and is raised up so you don’t have to look at it to see where to stand.
- great beginner board with graphics to show you where to lie and stand
- the trusted brand for surfboards
- the wide range of sizes to fit your exact needs
- at just under $800 for a midsize longboard, this is very expensive for a longboard
- does not have the tail guard
Which should you buy?
If you want to learn to surf on the best longboard, the Surftech Learn2Surf Softop Surfboard | Super Durable Soft Surf Board | Includes Fins Baby perfect for you. This is the classic name in beginner longboards, and the durable construction will last you for a long time. This board has deck inserts to help you learn where to lie and stand on your board.
There is no need to look down at the graphics, you can feel with your feet or stomach where you should be. These boards are built to hold up to even the most demanding conditions and surf and perform in a wide variety of conditions. It will give you a great surfing experience while you learn and even as you develop the skill to go quickly.