Some say there is an art to growing cannabis, with a lot of thorough research being conducted over the years, the study of growing cannabis has really become a standardized procedure among a vast variety of medical and recreational practices worldwide. With an endless amount of new strains available, the demand for this growth must be supported through the use of hydroponic systems. Soil, fertilizer, heat, light, humidity and growth control all come into play when creating the best strain out there. These hydroponic systems will create the perfect environment for your plants, maximizing growth wield. Following this overview, we will review the best hydroponic kits that will help you hit the ground running with your very own hydroponic gardening plant.
Benefits of Hydrophonics
So why the use of hydroponics? This method of growing gives plants exactly what they need, when they need it, the perfect balance of light, water, and nutrients, which result in a plant that’s genetically perfect. Before we learn about hydroponic systems we must first understand how hydrophonics works. Water-based and nutrient solutions provide the plant with the ideal environment for these plants without the use of soil, they tend to use the inner growing mediums. Clay pellets, lava rocks, grow stones.
There are various common types of hydroponic systems, the simplest includes the Wick system. The wick system gives beginners a great opportunity to use simple hydroponics especially if you use small plants. It’s simple because it does not use moving parts, making it a passive method. Using capillary action a rope or fabric material draws the nutrient solutions from the reservoir upward into the growing medium, this keeps the roots of the plants constantly hydrated and fed. Since there are no pumps or timers, wick systems are inexpensive to build. Perfect for basil and parsley!
Most commonly used by home growers include the Drip System, Ebb and Flow, also known as (Flood and Drain), Deep Water Culture, (DWC) and other systems include Nutrient film Technique (NFT) and Aeroponic systems.
One of the most widely used systems in hydroponics is the Drip System. The slow feed of nutrient solution is dripped onto the roots or grow medium, slowly and continuously supplying the plant with the nutrients it needs. This ensures that the roots stay moist and healthy, without flooding the grow medium, as is done in some other systems. Because the nutrient solution is constantly recycled in recovery drip systems. The PH levels may change with this re-circulation, it’s important to monitor these levels, to maintain a constant and healthy PH.
Ebb and Flow (Flood & Drain)
Ebb and Flow (Flood & Drain) use periodic flooding from a submerged pump and timer, to flood the grow bed with the nutrient solution. Once submerged, the solution then drains back into the reservoir, through the assistance of siphons and piping. This cycle repeats numerous times per day, allowing the plants to experience periods of wetness and dryness.
Deep Water Culture (DWC)
Deep Water Culture (DWC) is the simplest active hydroponic systems. It’s popular because effective and doesn’t require many components to build. There is also no need for a timer, as the plants’ roots are constantly submerged in the nutrient solution. DWC is typically Comprised of a reservoir bucket to hold the nutrient solution, air pump and air stones to supply oxygen to the nutrient solution, as well as a platform to hold the plant and suspend the root in the solution.
Nutrient Film Technique (NFT)
Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) is popular with commercial growers, less so for your average hydroponic hobbyist. This system uses tilted watertight gullies or channels, to flow nutrient solution over the bare roots of plants. Pumps are used and only the tips of the roots, touch the nutrient solution. This growing method allows plants to receive high levels of oxygen. The main objective is to achieve a fast growth rate in a limited space.
Aeroponics system is the most challenging system, where plants are suspended in the air. The nutrient solution is then sprayed onto the roots. Many Aeroponic growers don’t use grow mediums or net cups as the roots are constantly exposed to oxygen. Air misting must be done every few minutes to avoid the roots becoming too dry, therefore short duration timers are crucial to successful Aeroponics.
So you must choose if you want to piece together your own DIY system, which in the long run can be a lot of fun for those who are adventurous but can be quite cost-effective. On the other hand, if you want something that is complete and functional, without putting too much effort into the hydroponic system itself, consider buying one of these kits, which are all popular approaches to hydroponics.
There are a lot of perks to having a hydroponic plant. They include not having to deal with the messy soil and the pests that live in soil, they require less water than other plants, they come with all the tools that they need, and people can even grow their own food with them.
Before you purchase one of these plants for your own home, it is beneficial for you to see examples of what hydroponic systems are available for sale on the market.
Below I’ve reviewed the top 10 best hydroponic systems for growing cannabis in 2019.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Hydrophonics
- Wick System
- Drip System
- Ebb and Flow (Flood & Drain)
- Deep Water Culture (DWC)
- Nutrient Film Technique (NFT)
- 10. General Hydroponic Waterfarm Complete Kit
- 9. Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponic Bucket Kit 5 Gallon
- 8. AutoPot Four Pot Watering System
- 7. Viagrow Complete Ebb and Flow System
- 6. General Hydroponics Rainforest 66 Aeroponic System
- 5. Hydrofarm General Hydroponics Waterfarm Complete
- 4. Hydrofarm Ebb & Gro Complete Germination System
- 3. HTG Supply Bubble Brothers Hydroponic System
- 2. Aerogrow Aerogarden Black Harvest Pod Kit
- 1. Back to The Roots Water Garden
- Which Hydroponic System Should You Buy?
10. General Hydroponic Waterfarm Complete Kit
This hydroponic system is perfect for all of you that want to have a hydroponic system because it can hold small, large, and medium plants. It is also made to last a long time and even though it is not expensive, the quality and performance of this item are not sacrificed.
Since it is easy to setup and maintain, it is ideal for people that are just starting to use a hydroponic system. You will also find that this item is easy to clean and maintain. This system is also very educational as well because you will learn all you need to know about how to grow plants on your own.
- It comes with options for growing organically.
- It is easy for you to assemble.
- It can hold at least four plants.
- It is not as inexpensive as making your own hydroponic system.
- The air pump is a bit weak.
9. Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponic Bucket Kit 5 Gallon
This easy-to-use and cost-effective kit comes with a five-gallon bucket, a six-inch basket lid, an air pump, an air stone, a growing medium, and Rockwood seeds starting plugs which is all you need to start your hydroponic system.
You will also love that it has a one-year warranty It is also cost-effective, easy to put together, grows plants quickly, it does not leak, is cheaper than building your own hydroponic kit, and the air pump runs quietly.
You will also love that it is easy to put together and operate, and it grows plants quickly. It is great for growing plants year round as well which is another reason for you to love this system as well.
- It is a great bargain for the money, especially when you price what it costs to buy the items it comes with individually.
- It is an ideal starter kit.
- This system is very lightweight.
- It leaks
- The air stone and pump are of poor quality
8. AutoPot Four Pot Watering System
This four-pot watering system is fed by gravity does not require any pumps, electricity, or timers to be used. It is ideal for all of you gardeners and growers as it meant for gardeners and grower of all abilities and growing experience.
It can also be easily extended so you can link a lot of pots in one reservoir. After you put water and liquid feed in this hydroponic system, you will not need to watch it much as this system basically operates all by itself as well as being able to adjust to new conditions and is unfailing also.
It is perfect for those of you that are busy as you assemble it and watch your beautiful plants grow.
- It has an automatic watering system
- It is a very cost-effective item.
- It is easy to put together.
- The tubing has to be replaced every few months.
- The instruction manual is not very helpful.
7. Viagrow Complete Ebb and Flow System
This twenty-gallon reservoir hydroponic kit comes with all that you need to set up your own growing station (except for the light system and the nutrients). You can grow up to sixteen plants in a small area.
The automated method of ebb and flow that this product brings just the right amount of water, nutrients, and oxygen to your plants.
Your plants will also grow quickly, have high yields, increased the nutritional value of the foods you grow in it and also make them taste and smell better. This all metal system is strong and sturdy and it drains fine as well.
- It is a professional system at a non-professional price.
- It is strong and sturdy.
- It is easy for you to convert it to a drip system.
- It needs a forty gallon tank instead of the twenty-gallon tank it comes with.
- The overflow is two inches and it needs to be at least four inches.
6. General Hydroponics Rainforest 66 Aeroponic System
This system can hold up to six medium to large sized plants which means you can grow a variety of plants at one time. The Vortex Sprayer lifts and oxygenates the nutrient solution and then gently distributes it over the cutting bases or root systems.
Another thing that you will like about this system is that it comes with all you need to start growing plants which includes: a seventeen-gallon reservoir with a lid, six-six inch lid inserts, a Vortex Sprayer, six-inch plastic cups, CocoTek liners, and a three-part Flora Kit.
This hexagonally shaped system will help you start you down the street to having your own garden.
- It is easy to use
- It cuts the cost of buying produce in a store.
- It is great for growing plants.
- The Vortex Sprayer is loud.
- The fitting for the drain hose leaks.
5. Hydrofarm General Hydroponics Waterfarm Complete
This system is made out of high impact plastic to ensure that this system will last a long time. It is meant for all types of growers no matter whether you want to grow a small, medium, or large plant.
It also has a large water capacity and does not need a lot of water. One of the perks is this item is that all you have to put in new nutrients every seven to ten days.
You will also love how productively and quickly it grows plants so you do not have to wait to see your plants produce.
- It is ideal for beginning growers.
- You can grow anything in it.
- It is a very cost-effective item.
- The air pumps are cheaply made.
- It does not come with an instruction manual.
4. Hydrofarm Ebb & Gro Complete Germination System
This system is unique because it can hold up to forty-eight plants You will also love it because the ongoing flood and drain cycles increase a plant’s oxygen levels and the reservoir does not have to be under the plants.
It is an easy-to-use system that utilizes two pumps and gravity to flood and drain the plants a few times every day. The fittings and hoses are of high quality and do not leak so you do not have to worry about a water mess in your home.
If you forget about the water flowing in your plant, do not worry, it has an emergency shut-off valve that automatically shuts the system down.
- It grows big vegetation.
- It does not need a lot of attention after it is assembled.
- It comes with a controller that controls the pumping and control functions.
- The instruction book is not very specific.
- There is always standing water.
3. HTG Supply Bubble Brothers Hydroponic System
Everything you need to start your own hydroponic system comes with this system. It includes six buckets and lids, a commercial air pump with a six-way divider, premium air stones, and air tubing.
This set also comes with a ten-liter bag of high-quality clay pebble grow medium, an electrical air pump, and an instructional manual. The pump works well, the tubing is of high quality, the aerator stones are also very big, and the hoses are very nice.
This system is ideal for people that are new to the world of hydroponics and it is also easy to set up.
- The buckets and nets are nice.
- It is more cost-effective than buying the parts individually.
- The pump works efficiently.
- The air pump is a bit loud.
- It needs more tubing than what is provided.
2. Aerogrow Aerogarden Black Harvest Pod Kit
You will love that you can grow a garden year round with this kit. You can also grow a variety of things that include: fresh herbs, vegetables, salad greens, flowers, and more, all without the use of soil.
Other things that you will love about this kit is it is good-looking, compact and it has energy efficient LED lighting. To start you off with planting, it comes with a herb starter kit that comes with these herbs: Genovese Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Curly Parsley, Dill, and Mint as well as three ounces of liquid plant food.
Another thing that is great about this kit is that if you use the proper lighting level and a combination of nutrients and water, your plants will grow up to five times faster than plants that are grown in soil.
- You can set it up quickly without the use of tools.
- The easy-to-use control panel guides you through setting the kit up to harvesting your plants.
- The plants that are grown with this kit are non-GMO and are also herbicide and pesticide free.
- The plants take a long time to grow.
- Some of the plants that did grow died.
1. Back to The Roots Water Garden
This one-of-a-kind hydroponic system uses a betta fish to fertilize the plants on top and the plant’s filter and clean the water for the fish. It also comes with all you need to get this garden going: a three-gallon fish tank, organic wheatgrass and radish sprout seeds, a coupon to get a betta fish with, and fish.
You also get natural fertilizer, a quiet and submersible pump, gravel, and grow stones. To incorporate this system into a school curriculum, you can go to backtotheroots.com and learn a lot about aquaponics Back to The Roots also has monthly photo contests where they give away products as prizes.
Organic and unique growing, as well an educational experience is what you get when you buy the Back to The Roots Water Garden.
- It is compact enough for any size space.
- It is quiet.
- It does not have a fishy smell.
- The rocks and vegetables become moldy.
- A heater will need to be bought to keep the betta fish’s body temperature right.
Which Hydroponic System Should You Buy?
Hydroponic systems are really ideal for people that want to grow their own plants and produce without the messy soil. After reviewing all of these systems, I have to say the best one is the Autopot Four Pot Watering System.
It is not expensive and is ideal for busy people like you and I that live busy lifestyles but still want a planting system. You basically set up it up, let it be, and watch your garden grow.
Hydroponics is the easiest, most fun, and most cost-effective way to help people from beginner to expert gardens to grow their own garden.