Anyone who wants to improve their indoor air quality in their home should consider buying an air filter or air purifier. An air purifier does the work of removing smoke, pollen, dust and other pollutants that can contribute to health problems or allergies.
Reasons To Own an Air Purifier
There are many benefits of owning a home air purifier, but what are some of the top advantages and how do you know if your home needs one?
If you have pets but suffer with allergies from pet fur, an air purifier can filter the danger from the air to leave your environment purer and healthier. Generally speaking, children are more sensitive to animal allergies than adults, so this is great to prevent them developing an allergy in the first place.
Your Home Has a Dirty Smell
If you’re often cleaning your home but it still has an unclean scent, you might need to purfy the air. These products are designed to eliminate smells and leave your air fresher and cleaner for you to breathe in.
If you live in an apartment or work in an office block, an air purifier is a great way to prevent unwanted smells from other rooms entering your space. If so, we suggest placing the air purifier at your entrance to improve odors as soon as they enter your property.
If you live with anyone who suffers with respiratory problems, such as asthma, an air purifier can prevent specific allergens from irritating them, to improve how they breathe. Many doctors suggest improving the air quality within your home if anyone in your household is living with a respiratory disease to keep the air quality high.
You’ve Previously Experienced Water Damage
Some buildings may have experienced water damage, mould growth or fragments of untreated woof around their home. Not only does mould smell unpleasant, but it can create allergic reactions and disturb your immune system. In some cases, you might have mould in your home without seeing it, such as within the walls or underneath the floorboards. Owning an air purifier is a great way to clean the air to reduce exposing yourself to mould and other chemicals.
Sensitive To Chemicals
Whether you realize it, we exposure ourselves to chemicals which can negatively impact the air quality within our home. Sprays, detergents, bleach, deodrants, and more, can trigger irritation and affect your repiratory system. An air purifier works by filtering chemicals from the air so you improve the quality in your home, thus meaning you inhale fewer chemicals.
Factors To Consider When Buying an Air Purifier
Before buying an air purifier, you should start determining what types of pollutants are currently in the air you breathe. Not every air purifier is one size fits all. Some that are best at filtering out dust, may not work at all for filtering out mold.
The Type of Air Purifier
Air filters use mesh, fiber or paper filter to attract and capture dust and pet dander. Filters should always be replaced and cleaned periodically. There are a few different types of air purifiers to choose from. There are electrostatic air purifiers that use an electrical screen to attract particles.
Gas-phase air filters are excellent at removing odors and gases with activated carbon. UV filters remove impurities like bacteria and mold through ultraviolet light. Air purifies also have different fan speeds.
It is important that you check the effectiveness of the filter before you buy. Some air purifiers only work at their best on the highest setting. This will result in consuming more energy and will also be the nosiest.
You need to consider where you’re position the air purifier before purchasing one so you can establish what size and power you need. Check the specifications in the models you’re interested in as they wil mention the square feet they cover. To evalute if this is suitable for your home, you’ll need to measure the size of your room and compare these two figures.
Finally, how much maintenance is involved in looking after your air purifier? Check the manufacturer’s recommendations on when and how to change the filters to ensure no pollutants or chemicals enter the system.
A HEPA filter can last around one year, whereas a carbon filter needs changing every three to six months. You may also wish to consider the cost of the filters to factor this into your budget.
The Top 10 Best Home Air Purifiers To Buy
Below are the top ten air purifiers out on the market today. We’ve reviewed the top 10 best home purifiers on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- Reasons To Own an Air Purifier
- Factors To Consider When Buying an Air Purifier
- The Top 10 Best Home Air Purifiers To Buy
- 10. Honeywell HEPA Clean Compact Air Purifier
- 9. GermGuardian AC5000E 3-in-1 Air Purifier
- 8. Best Choice Products SKY1057 Ionic Air Purifier
- 7. OION B-1000 Permanent Filter Ionic Air Purifier
- 6. Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner
- 5. Hamilton Beach Ultra Quiet Air Cleaner Purifier
- 4. AIRMEGA 300S The Smarter App Enabled Air Purifier
- 3. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
- 2. Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover
- 1. Rabbit Air MinusA2 Air Purifier
- Which Home Air Purifier Should You Buy?
10. Honeywell HEPA Clean Compact Air Purifier
This is an effective air purifier that requires little maintenance. It contains a permanent HEPA-Type air filter with a 3-stage filtration system. This cleans your air by using a pre-filter that is washable to attract large particles.
It can capture up to 95% of pet dander, pollen, spore, dust, smoke and mold particles. Once the air has been filtered, it enters an ionizer that provides additional air freshening.
- The ionizer has an optional on/off switch.
- There are 3 different air cleaning settings.
- It has a reminder setting letting you know when the filter needs to be cleaned.
- Customers have experienced poor customer service.
- Some consumers have complained that the air purifier is too noisy.
9. GermGuardian AC5000E 3-in-1 Air Purifier
This air purifier is ideal for those suffering from allergies. It can capture up to 99% of all allergens and dust. The UV-C light kills germs while the charcoal filter captures odors. There are 3 speed options with the low speed running ultra-quiet.
- One single filter only needs to be replaced every 6-8 months.
- There is a filter and bulb replacement indicator light.
- This air purifier comes with a 5 Year warranty.
- You can only use Genuine Guardian replacement parts otherwise, your warranty will be void.
- Some consumers have complained of a strong plastic odor that releases into the air when you first turn it on.
8. Best Choice Products SKY1057 Ionic Air Purifier
The Sky1057 Iconic Air Purifier is a state-of-the-art purifying system that eliminates odors from chemical gases, dust, paint fumes, pollen, mold, allergies and tobacco smoke.
It significantly reduces air borne particles while recreating a natural balance of +/- ions. It has plate receiver slots that make it easy for inserting and removing ceramic plates for cleaning.
- It looks like a decorative piece with its stainless steel and solid cherry wood cabinetry.
- This air purifier breaks down pollutants from your air space.
- It can cover up to 3,500 square feet.
- It only offers a 60 day warranty.
- Some consumers have complained that it omits a foul odor.
- Those with sensitive hearing feel it is too noisy emitting a high pitched hum.
7. OION B-1000 Permanent Filter Ionic Air Purifier
The OION B-1000 kills viruses, bacteria, germs and other microorganisms that can cause disease. This particular air purifier is known to be used in some of the best office buildings in the country.
As the air passes through the purifier, the OION B-1000 sterilizes it. Allergens, smoke, pet dander, pollen, mold, dust and odors are significantly reduced.
- The fan is ultra-quiet and will not disturb you or those around you.
- It is energy conscious and environmentally friendly.
- There are no costly filters to replace and only consumes 7.5W of ultra-low energy.
- Some consumers complained of a musky smell while running this machine.
- This model is too small to be effective in large room areas or office buildings.
6. Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner
This Winix 9500 Ultimate Pet system uses a five stage filtration system that will completely eliminate dander and hair floating in the air from your pet. It also offers superior control of pollen, tobacco smoke and mold spores. The true HEPA filtration is 99.7% effective.
The Winix WAC9500 provides you with a two feature option. You can use either the remote control or manual control operation. You can adjust the speed to your liking choosing from low, medium, high and turbo. The Winix WAC9500 model is ideal for a large bedroom or family room.
- It contains a washable granular carbon filter with advanced odor control.
- Has Winix PlasmaWave technology.
- Contains a CleanCel anti-bacterial treatment.
- There is an auto dim feature which senses the amount of light in the room. If your lights are off or dim, your air purifier lights will dim as well.
- The cost to replace the filters can be expensive.
- Some consumers have complained that the filter doesn’t capture pet hair efficiently.
5. Hamilton Beach Ultra Quiet Air Cleaner Purifier
This high performance air purification system eliminates dander and pet odors using a triple filtration technology. The permanent filter captures large particles and pet hair.
It can easily be cleaned with a vacuum for minimal clean up. A single Hamilton Beach TrueAir air purifier like this one, can clean the air of large rooms up to 140 square feet.
- It comes with two replaceable carbon filters that successfully eliminate pet odors.
- The HEPA grade air filter can be easily cleaned with a vacuum.
- The high-performance filters can attract airborne particles, dander and pet hair efficiently.
- Can use up more electricity than its competitors.
- At times the noise the air purifier makes can be unpleasant.
4. AIRMEGA 300S The Smarter App Enabled Air Purifier
The AIRMEGA is so powerful, it covers up to 1600 square feet. It is the most advanced air purifier that works with Alexa.
You can monitor the air quality, set the timer, check the status of your filters and receive updates. The AIRMEGA sensor will let you know the air quality of the room in real time.
- The MAX2 filter set removes up to 99.97% of fine dust, allergens and mold.
- The lifespan indicator on the filter will let you know when it’s time to replace it.
- It covers up to 1600 square feet of room space.
- In the past, the AIRMEGA was having problems connecting to the smart apps.
- There have been complaints that the air purifying system is too loud.
3. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
This is a 3 stage air purifier that reduces VOC’s caused from tobacco smoke, pets and cooking. It can catch particles found indoors and helps make the True HEPA Filter last longer.
The PlasmaWave technology safely breaks down chemical vapors, odors and allergens. There are four settings low, medium, high and turbo that allow you to set the speed to exactly the way you want it.
- The True HEPA Filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollen, allergens, dust, mold spores and pet dander.
- The smart sensors consistently monitor the air and an LED indicator light will display the air quality on a scale of 1-3.
- The control panel will let you know when it is time to change your air filter.
- The purifier circulates the particles around the room instead of pulling them in.
- Some consumers have complained of an unpleasant smell after turning the air purifier on.
2. Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover
The carbon pre-filter absorbs and tracks larger particles and pollutants are continuously drawn in. It has an automatic shut off setting that can be set to either 2, 4, or 8 hours. This air purifier is recommended to cover large spaces up to 465 square feet.
- The filter light will remind you when it is time to replace your air filter.
- The clear air delivery rate (CADR) performance is AHAM verified.
- It is energy efficient meeting guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
- The filter needs to be replaced every 3 months instead of 6-8 like its competitors.
- You should only use certified Honeywell replacement filters or your warranty will be void.
1. Rabbit Air MinusA2 Air Purifier
This air purifier is designed to complement any room or office space. It can be placed on the floor or hung up on the wall. The front panel comes in a variety of styles created by the Rabbit Air creative team, Gustav Klimpt, Nanami Cowdroy and Katsushika Hokusai.
- It is available in 4 different colors.
- You can customize the air filter based on your specific needs. Choose from: toxin absorber filter, germ defense filter, pet allergy filter and an odor removing filter.
- The HEPA filter traps particles that are 0.3 microns at 99.97% success rate.
- This air purifying system is more expensive than its competitors.
- Consumers have complained that the air purifier is not very effective with cigarette smoke.
Which Home Air Purifier Should You Buy?
While these are all great air purifiers, I would choose the AIRMEGA 300S Smart Enabled Air Purifier. I like how I can manage it through a smart app and the price is very attractive. You should always look for one with a clean-air delivery rate of 300 or more.
Air purifiers that have a clean-air delivery rate of under 100 do nothing to improve the quality of your air. Depending on which one you choose, air filters can be expensive to replace. Removable air filters are generally more practical because they are easy to clean.
The goal is to find the right air purifier that isn’t energy-consuming or costly. The above list is a great place to start in improving the air quality in your home or office.