Over the years, the art of gardening evolved from its more primitive roots of being a chore into a modern day hobby loved and enjoyed by many individuals across the country.
A wide range of diverse citizens have boycotted vegetables and fruits from their local grocery stores and chose to purchase the necessary tools to obtain a ripe harvest in the summer months.
Many people choose to garden for personal health reasons, as it is a commonly known fact that our produce are showered in enormous percentages of harmful herbicides and pesticides.
I know you may not want to expose their family and loved ones to these dangerous chemicals, which may encourage you and many others to grow backyard gardens.
It’s also a fun, productive activity for people who are looking to get outdoors more and accomplish something beneficial at the same time.
No matter what the cause for your decision to start gardening, we can all agree that having the necessary tools of the trade is necessary to obtain smoothest and most enjoyable gardening experience.
Having a sturdy set of tools will not only encourage you to stay dedicated to your backyard garden but it will also give you the capability to be successful along your gardening journey.
One important tool of the trade is a garden tiller, which will be of great use to you if you’re looking to start up your garden soon.
Below is a compilation of the top 10 best garden tillers available on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- 1. Sun Joe TJ603E 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Tiller
- 2. Mantis 7225-15-02 2-Cycle Gas-Powered Tiller
- 3. Earthquake MC43 Mini Cultivator Tiller
- 4. Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller
- 5. Sun Joe TJ600E Tiller Joe Garden 14-Inch 6.5 amp Electric Tiller
- 6. Mantis 7225-15-02 2-Cycle Gas-Powered Tiller
- 7. GreenWorks 27072 8 Amp 10-Inch Corded Tiller
- 8. Troy-Bilt TB146 EC 29cc 4-Cycle Cultivator
- 9. Earthwise TC70001 11-Inch 8.5-Amp Corded Electric Tiller
- 10. VonHaus 12.5 Inch 7 Amp Electric Garden Tiller
- Which Garden Tiller Should You Buy?
1. Sun Joe TJ603E 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Tiller
This tiller is perfect for people who garden as a side hobby and do not necessarily have the time or energy to maintain their gardening tools regularly. The machine comes with a useful guarantee that it will remain without the need of maintenance due to its tines that are created to withstand years of usage.
The tiller is fairly basic in functionality and demands little to no necessary maintenance.
- The Tiller has met all the necessary requirements to become ETL approved and comes automatically with a two year warranty on the entire device.
- There are six total tines and each one is created angled in order to ensure endurance over long periods of time with little maintenance
- Easily stored with help of folding handle, the tiller can be compact enough to insert into a variety of spaces
- The speed of the blades may be rather quick and can cause debris to fly rapidly
- May be difficult to see exactly where one is tilling causing it to be mildly difficult to control and manipulate direction
2. Mantis 7225-15-02 2-Cycle Gas-Powered Tiller
This compact, gas powered tiller is great for use anywhere and proudly complies with each and every one of CARB’s requirements. It has a lifetime warranty for its tines and also comes with a 5 year warranty on the entire tiller machine.
- Uses push button priming so you can easily power the machine on
- While it stays compact and light, it remains powerful
- Can be efficiently stored in very small space
- Can be mildly difficult to handle due to its small size and large volume of power
- Directional control may be difficult as it sometimes bounces
3. Earthquake MC43 Mini Cultivator Tiller
This tiller has been designed with tines made of steel that repel unneeded, built-up dirt that could otherwise stain the machine. It is great for people with excessive landscaping needs as it is able to connect with a variety of compatible landscaping tools.
- It is instilled with a poly guard that will protect the operator from chunks of debris that could eventually be damaging
- Steel tines are strong in nature and can trim a diverse range of material
- Possesses a die cast gearbox which assist in providing the tiller with the correct amount of torque and muscle
- Balance may be off when attachments are applied causing it to become heavy to quickly
- Shoulder strap may be required as it can easily wear the user out
4. Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller
It is a common problem for many tiller’s tines become dull, causing you to have to go thru the annoying task of sharpening them or having to replace your tiller entirely. Neither option is efficient for time management or your finances, which makes this tiller an enticing offer.
The blades are self sharpening, making long, tedious sharpening work a thing of the past. This tiller is a practical tool with advanced maneuverability capabilities.
- 10-inch rear wheels making your maneuverability fluid and diverse
- The Gear drive system contains a poly-v belt functionality which drastically extends the life of the product.
- The handle is designed in a loop like structure that is foldable, allowing for this piece of equipment to be easily stored
- The throttle is made of inexpensive plastic that sometimes can easily malfunction or snap when adjusting
- Mildly difficult to control compared to some larger tillers
5. Sun Joe TJ600E Tiller Joe Garden 14-Inch 6.5 amp Electric Tiller
This extremely compact tiller weighs a shocking 17 pounds, making it one of the best options for people who experience medical issues related to lifting or holding heavy objects.
The light, weightless nature of the machine will cause minimal to no strain on your muscles and is powered electrically, allowing you to cut cost on burning gas.
- Electric engine doesn’t only allow for you to save money, it also assist you in doing your part to protect the environment. Burning gas is harmful to the atmosphere and many like the idea of preserving nature while gardening more nature!
- Tilling blades are made of steel to enhance both its ability to perform with strength while still enduring over the course of time.
- Comes with a full coverage, two year warranty
- the handle of the device may give some trouble when folding, causing mild discomfort during the storage process
- Some report it may not have sufficient soil to effectively till hard and brittle soil
6. Mantis 7225-15-02 2-Cycle Gas-Powered Tiller
This tiller is designed with people in mind who only possess a small storage space for it to be stored in. It is extremely compact and also works astoundingly well for small patches of land in need of tilling.
- It has a five-year consumer warranty which will cover the full machine along with the engine itself along with a lifetime warranty on its tines if they break.
- The small nature of the device makes it very maneuverable and allows it to squeeze into tight spaces that larger tillers wouldn’t be able to extend to
- The device is proudly within guidelines to be CARB compliant
- Due to light weight it may bounce during tilling
- Possible flywheel trouble has been reported
7. GreenWorks 27072 8 Amp 10-Inch Corded Tiller
This tiller is not only environmentally friendly but it also saves money by not running on gas. This machine is solely electric which promotes both environmental awareness and also proves to be beneficial financially.
It could be considered one of the best tillers for a garden that requires various depths plowed.
- Due to its electric engine, it completely does away with the use of recoil cords that can be pesky to deal with
- Both width and depth for tilling are adjustable
- The handle easily folds, allowing the machine to become compact for a variety of storage options
- Works great for small properties but may prove difficult on larger pieces of land
- It is mildly light which can cause it to awkwardly “hop about” while using
8. Troy-Bilt TB146 EC 29cc 4-Cycle Cultivator
This tiller is compact and is the perfect tool for any sized lot in need of a quality till job. The width of the till is completely interchangeable and has an adjustable width of six to twelve inches.
This is a great tool to meet your gardening needs. It is easily stored as it is designed to fold and is engineered with the capability to of tilling a respectable five inches deep.
- The design has been created to assist cultivation with your produce gardens and flowers.
- The engine has been uniquely designed by experts so that it does not need a gas and oil mixture to run correctly
- The spring assist functionality makes it possible for you to start the engine without the use of a chord
- Some consumers have reported minor trouble with air filter being loose and falling out of place
- Checking the oil may be a bit of a hassle as it requires that you flip the machine over to actually see if oil runs out
9. Earthwise TC70001 11-Inch 8.5-Amp Corded Electric Tiller
This tiller is designed to effectively work in even the toughest, most brittle soil that you find in your garden. Its uses are diverse as it can assist with anything from a miniscule spot of property to a vast piece of land.
- Very extensive width and depth that will assist in meeting all your tiller needs
- Strong motor that can power through tough spots other tillers have been able to handle
- Wheels can easily be moved up and down allowing it to transport comfortably
- Due to the electric motor, it may feel mildly heavy
- Tines may not be as easily cleaned as some other units within its price range
10. VonHaus 12.5 Inch 7 Amp Electric Garden Tiller
This tiller weighs almost nothing and is perfect for people who have multiple, separate plots that require tilling and need something easily transportable.
Assembly and deconstruction are both simple, making it very easy to carry. To top it off, it has a wide range of speed capabilities.
- It has a Drag stake on the tiller is fully adjustable allowing you to customize the depth of your cultivation
- The tilling depth can reach as low as 8 inches
- It has a five year warranty both on the machine along with its engine
- During excessively chilling temperatures, the machine may sometimes be difficult to start
- While it is well equipped to till sand and mulch, it is not the best option for successfully tilling your garden
Which Garden Tiller Should You Buy?
There are a number of tillers that you can choose from based off of your personal needs and requirements. I would highly suggest one of the electric ones as they carry both eco-friendly characteristics while also protecting your wallet from getting any lighter.
These two elements, for me as a consumer, would be most useful and beneficial therefore influencing my own personal choice greatly. The EarthWise tiller would have to be my personal recommendation due to its power and performance capabilities it upholds while still being earth friendly.
I encourage everyone reading this to do extensive research on each tiller in order to better understand their individual functionalities in order to make a more knowledgeable consumer decision.