Whether you’re an avid gardener or just someone on the go who needs help hauling your stuff around, having access to a high-quality garden cart can be a huge help.
But before you run off and drop good money into a cart, it helps to determine who is going to use the cart, what it will be used for, and where it will be most frequently used, and the budget you have in mind.
In order to make the right decision, ask yourself the following: how tall is the person using the cart? How heavy and bulky are the things they’re going to need to transport?
What kind of terrain (e.g., flat, rough, sandy) are they going to be using it on?
With those answers in mind, you can use the following guide to determine the top 10 best garden carts in 2019 for your needs and budget.
Table of Contents
- 10. Gorilla Steel Garden Cart
- 9. Sandusky Lee Steel Edging Garden Cart
- 8. Best Choice Rolling Work Seat Garden Cart
- 7. Worx Aerocart Multifunction Wheelbarrow
- 6. Tipke 2100 Marine Fold-It Utility Cart
- 5. Rubbermaid Commercial Garden Cart
- 4. Farm & Ranch Steel Garden Cart
- 3. Gorilla Carts Poly Garden Cart
- 2. Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon
- 1. Gorilla Carts Poly Garden Dump Cart
- Which Garden Cart Should You Buy?
10. Gorilla Steel Garden Cart
This steel mesh cart is ideal for hauling and dumping heavy loads and is designed for personal or commercial duty usage. It can carry up to 1,200lbs., and the removable steel sides make it perfect for carrying bulky or long cargo. Unloading is a breeze thanks to the patented quick-release mechanism.
The 13-inch tires are good for most terrain but are probably not ideal for deep sand especially if carrying a heavy load. The handle is also designed to be attached to a lawn tractor or ATV.
Bed measurements: 39.5 inches long x 22 inches wide x 11.25 inches high
- Steel mesh construction with removable sides
- Can carry more than 1,000lbs.
- Quick-release mechanism makes for easy dumping
- Mesh isn’t ideal for certain cargo (e.g., loose gravel or mulch)
- Fairly heavy, weighing in at 82.5lbs.
9. Sandusky Lee Steel Edging Garden Cart
This cart is a combination of steel framing and plywood paneling, which helps keep the weight down while retaining a modicum of strength.
It is designed for garden work such as hauling yard waste but can easily handle hauling a cooler or groceries if needed. The rear panel can slide out to make dumping a little easier.
The two-wheel, fixed axle design may hamper mobility slightly, and the 20-inch tires only give approximately ten inches of clearance. The stabilization resting bar means you don’t have to worry about the cart rolling away from you. Works well for moderate farm use, even in light mud or snow.
Bed measurements: 41 inches long x 23 inches wide x 12 inches high
- Can handle 300lb. loads, which is sufficient for everyday use
- Plywood paneling helps reduce weight.
- Ok for light mud or snow
- Fixed panel sides limits the size of what it can carry
- Less maneuverable due to only two, fixed axle rear wheels
- Fixed position for handle may not be idle for taller users.
8. Best Choice Rolling Work Seat Garden Cart
This is not a typical garden cart and is better classified as a work seat. Designed with gardeners in mind, the rolling work seat can truly make a difference if you suffer from back pain while gardening.
Solid steel construction and a weight capacity of around 300lbs. means it can accommodate most people.
It comes with a steel wire utility basket for your gardening hand tools. The sturdy 10-inch tires easily handle the types of terrain commonly found in gardens. However, due to the wheels being in a fixed position, can be difficult to maneuver.
- Adjustable height seat
- Reduces strain on back while gardening
- Sturdy steel frame
- Relatively inexpensive
- Relatively poor maneuverability
- Not designed for hauling cargo
7. Worx Aerocart Multifunction Wheelbarrow
Shaped like a traditional two-wheeled wheelbarrow, the WORX Aerocart is actually quite a versatile cart. Not only can it function as a wheelbarrow, but it can easily convert to a dolly, yard waste bag holder, or any of 5 other forms. There are also optional snowplow and wagon conversion kits available.
In its wheelbarrow form, the Aerocart can hold up to 300lbs. The extension arm, designed to carry larger awkward items like pots or trees, can hold up to 80lbs. All in all, a highly versatile cart for those with a wide variety of needs.
- Highly versatile, with multiple functional uses
- Optional accessories (snowplow, wagon conversion) add to the utility
- Designed to make heavy loads feel much lighter
- Slightly smaller tires may impede the cart on difficult terrain
- Painted steel could easily chip or scratch, marring its visual appeal
6. Tipke 2100 Marine Fold-It Utility Cart
The Tipke 2100 Marine Fold-It cart is a two-wheeled barrow-style cart with a unique niche: it is designed for marine use.
The special aluminum body is designed to prevent rust and corrosion that is prevalent near water. When folded up, it has a fairly minimal footprint, which is ideal for storage.
The weight capacity is a commendable 350lbs., which is slightly more than your standard cart. Its 20inch tires are thicker than is standard, which is ideal for the varied terrain in marine environments.
Bed measurements: 38 inches long x 22.75 inches wide x 11.5 inches high
- Folds up for easy storage
- Aluminum body resists rust and corrosion
- Ideal for various terrain types
- Design features increase price
- Wheels could be wider, increasing the functionality on loose or deep sand
5. Rubbermaid Commercial Garden Cart
The Rubbermaid Roughneck is very lightweight, weighing in at a mere 14.66lbs., making it ideal for someone looking for light use.
It’s polyethylene body has molded-in tool and beverage holders, so it can carry the essentials for a day of gardening. The relatively deep well allows it to hold up to 3.25 cubic feet of materials (level) despite its smaller size.
Measurements: 42.5 inches long x 21 inches wide x 28 inches high
- Very lightweight, ideal for common household uses
- Molded-in tool and cup holders
- Tires never need inflation
- Relatively inexpensive
- Hauling capacity limited to 200lbs.
- Molded body doesn’t handle unusual size loads well
4. Farm & Ranch Steel Garden Cart
This utility cart features a steel mesh body and removable sides to easily haul heavy supplies around the yard. With a carrying capacity of 900lbs., this cart can haul most things that the average person would need to move. While the capacity is less the GORMP-12 listed above, it does also weigh significantly less at only 44lbs.
The tires are 10-inch pneumatic tires, and replacement tires (including no flat tires) are available. The padded handle also enhances pulling comfort.
Bed measurements: 34 inches long x 21.5 inches wide x 9 inches high
- Steel mesh construction is highly durable
- Removable side panels accommodate wide or long loads.
- Exceptional weight-to-hauling capacity ratio
- Loose items can fall through mesh gaps
- 10-inch turf tires may not be the best in all terrains
3. Gorilla Carts Poly Garden Cart
The GOR866D Dump Cart is a wagon-style cart designed for heavy-duty usage. It has a strong poly body and a steel frame to ensure no warpage even under heavy loads of up to 1,200 lbs.
In addition, having the poly bed reduces the weight (58.6 lbs.) while maintaining the hauling weight capacity.
The 13-inch tires and 5/8-inch axle help this cart handle any terrain. The pull handle is padded for comfort, but also is designed to be hooked-up and towed behind an ATV or lawn tractor.
Bed measurements: 40 inches long x 25 inches wide x 10.75 inches high
- Durable poly and steel body.
- Can carry up to 1,200lbs.
- Quick-release dump design
- Weighs less than full steel bodies
- Poly body reduces ease of carrying oddly shaped loads
- Pneumatic tires may go flat under heavy load
2. Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon
For light-duty everyday use, this utility wagon is exceptional. With a solid metal frame and durable fabric, this cart can carry up to 150lbs. which is perfect for groceries or going to and from outdoor events like concerts or sporting events.
The functionality of this wagon is enhanced by additional features like the easy-to-clean fabric bed, the built-in mesh cup holders, and adjustable handle. Storage is a snap thanks to the folding design and carrying case
Bed measurements: 32.5 inches long x 17.5 inches wide x 10.5 inches high
- Foldable design for easy storage
- Durable and easy-to-clean fabric comes in different colors
- Relatively inexpensive
- Can only carry 150lbs.
- While durable, fabric is potentially subject to wear, tears, and punctures
1. Gorilla Carts Poly Garden Dump Cart
This cart has strength and durability in a light, easy-to-use design. Weighing in at a mere 35lbs., this tough cart can haul up to 600lbs. with less strain on the user thanks to its padded handle. With Gorilla’s patented quick-release dumping feature, unloading is a snap.
Like earlier designs, the GOR200B blends the lightweight functionality of a polymer body with the strength and durability of a steel frame, however, this is much lighter while still retaining its strength. This cart is ideal for the vast majority of gardening needs.
Bed measurements: 36 inches long x 20 inches wide x 8 inches high
- Lightweight, but durable
- 600lb. hauling capacity is sufficient for most uses without the need to attach to a tractor or ATV
- Rust-resistant body with sleek black finish
- Solid body handles awkwardly sized loads poorly
- Lower clearance might have issues with obstructions in terrain
Which Garden Cart Should You Buy?
Anyone who spends a lot of time in the garden, or just wants help hauling groceries to-and-from the car, can easily benefit from owning a garden cart. While your specific needs will vary, hopefully, we have provided you with the knowledge to make an informed decision for your purchase.
If you need a cart for everyday use such as groceries, soccer games, or a picnic in the park, the Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon is probably the best choice for you. It is foldable for easy storage, light for everyday use without undue fatigue, and comes in a wide variety of colors so you can express yourself even with a simple cart.
However, if you’ve turned to this article in search of a dedicated gardening cart, Gorilla Carts’ GOR200B is an optimal blend of strength, durability, and hauling capacity.
Able to haul 900lbs., rust resistant, and weighing a mere 35lbs, it is hard to go wrong with this cart. This cart should give you years of usage and dependability.