Having a garbage disposal in your home can considerably cut down on the amount of waste that you have to handle, especially if you cook a lot.
Some counties actually require the installation of new garbage disposals in new homes. There are many models to choose from and it is good to be informed of the two types of garbage disposals before you buy one.
Two Types of Disposals
A continuous-feed garbage disposal will run as long as you have the water running and the garbage disposal turned on. It’s convenient because you can continuously add waste as it is washed down the drain.
The down side for this type of disposal is that it is not as safe as the second type of garbage disposal because there is usually no stopper at the top of the drain, so small hands can fit in and bone shards could fly out.
The batch feed works only when you press a button called a stopper. This one isn’t as convenient as a continuous-feed, but it will save you money on your water bill and is a bit safer because the stopper acts as a guard, shielding hands and preventing waste from flying out.
The down side to this type of disposal is that it cost more and requires more time and work to install.
Now that you know the two types of disposals, the next step is choosing one from the many that is available on the market.
Here is a list of the top 10 best garbage disposals in 2019.
Table of Contents
- 1. InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal
- 2. General Electric GFC520V Food Waste Disposer
- 3. Whirlaway 291 Garbage Disposer
- 4. Kitchen Aid Feed Garbage Disposal
- 5. InSinkErator Evolution Compact Garbage Disposal
- 6. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 Garbage Disposer
- 7. Waste King Legend Garbage Disposal
- 8. Waste Maid 58 Economy Food Waste Disposer
- 9. Whirlpool GC2000XE Garbage Disposal
- 10. Goplus Garbage Disposal
- Which Garbage Disposal Should You Buy?
1. InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal
The InSinkErator Badge 5 disposal is a high quality continuous-feed disposal. It is light weight, weighing only 14 pounds and is made in the United States, as is all of InSinkErator’s garbage disposals.
The grinder component is made of galvanized steel, is a gray color, and it has a 26 oz grind chamber capacity. At a size of 7 x 7 x 13 inches, it is compact and easy to install. This disposal has a 1/2 HP motor, and has a wall mount switch.
- It has a quick lock mount that makes installation easy.
- It is the #1 selling garbage disposal on Amazon.
- It features a Dura Drive Induction Motor which requires little to no maintenance.
- It only has one-stage grinding.
- It only has a two year limited warranty, although it is an in house warranty.
- It can’t be shipped outside of the United States.
2. General Electric GFC520V Food Waste Disposer
This large capacity continuous-feed garbage disposal features a 27 ounce stainless steel chamber. It is continuous-feed and compact in size, with measurements being 6.9 x 6.7 x 15.1 inches.
This disposal has a splash-guard and has a wireless, wall-mount switch. It is has a 1/2 HP motor. The disposal is jam-resistant, and has dual-swivel impellers.
- This disposal is incredibly light-weight, only 9lbs, making installation easier.
- It features a two-level precutter.
- The chamber components are stainless-steel.
- It has an advanced insulation package that ensures super quiet operation.
- It only has a one year limited warranty.
- It will require some wiring for installation.
3. Whirlaway 291 Garbage Disposer
This garbage disposal comes in a bold navy color and is compact, measuring only 13.7 x 6.1 x 5.9 inches. It is only 8.7 pounds, making it one of the most light-weight garbage disposals available. It comes with an easy mount system and has stainless steel cutting components.
- Its lightweight, so its easy to install.
- It has a good price point.
- It has Anti-Jam Swivel Impellers.
- It is not clear how many HP this garbage disposal has.
- It only has a two year over the counter warranty.
4. Kitchen Aid Feed Garbage Disposal
This garbage disposal is a continuous-feed disposal that measures 14.6 x 7.5 x 7.4 inches and weighs 14.35 pounds. It works with or without the food cover and is connected to an electrical switch for operation. It has 120 hp and is certified “frustration-free”.
- The disposal is made from stainless steel.
- The product is at a good, moderate price point.
- It has an easy installation system.
- This disposal only has a one year limited warranty.
- It can’t be shipped outside of the United States.
5. InSinkErator Evolution Compact Garbage Disposal
This is a great, high-quality continuous-feed garbage disposal. Made of stainless steel and featuring a 3/4 HP motor, this disposal can handle heavy duty wastes such as bones or large solids easily.
The disposal features an extra-large capacity grind chamber that can hold 34.6oz while still being a compact size of 12-1/4″ x 8-3/4″.
- It has a 3/4 HP motor so its good for heavy duty use, such as bones.
- It has SoundSeal Technology for quiet operation.
- The disposal features a 2-Stage MultiGrind Technology.
- It has a 4 year in-home warranty.
- It’s priced higher than the average garbage disposal.
- It is heavier than the average garbage disposal.
6. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 Garbage Disposer
This continuous-feed garbage disposal is the cadillac of garbage disposals. It features an incredibly powerful 1 HP Dura Drive induction motor and 3 stages of grinding so it can handle any waste that you dispose of.
The Sound Seal technology renders it virtually noise-free and it has Jam-Sensor Circuit that increases torque by 500% to power through the toughest jams as well as Auto-Reverse grind systems. Stainless steel grind chamber.
- This disposal has an incredibly large grind chamber capacity of 40oz.
- It comes with a 7 year warranty.
- This chamber will provide you with all of the premium features you would want in a garbage disposal plus more.
- Its is one of the heaviest garbage disposals on the market.
- It is expensive compared to other models.
7. Waste King Legend Garbage Disposal
This garbage disposal features a 1 HP, permanent magnet motor that is virtually soundless. The disposal is pre-corded so there is no need for expensive electrical work.
It also features an EZ mount twist and lock system so installation is fast and easy. The grind chamber is made of a corrosion proof polymer and features stainless steel components for maximum durability.
- This garbage disposal comes with a lifetime limited warranty.
- The price of this disposal is a really great value considering the features that it has.
- International shipping is available for this garbage disposal to select countries.
- It is a little larger than the average garbage disposal, with a size of 16 x 8.5 x 8.5 inches.
- Although the grind chamber components are stainless steel, the grind chamber itself is not stainless steel.
8. Waste Maid 58 Economy Food Waste Disposer
This economy garbage disposal features a 1/2 HP permanent magnet motor. It is lightweight, weighing in at 9 pounds and it measures 16″ x 7″ x 7″. It features an exclusive Bio-Shield Anti-microbial technology to protect against odors. This disposal also has a corrosion-proof grinding chamber.
- This garbage disposal can be shipped internationally.
- It is priced at a super bargain price.
- It has an exclusive technology to cut down on odors.
- The grinding chamber isn’t made of stainless steel.
- It only has a two year warranty.
9. Whirlpool GC2000XE Garbage Disposal
This basic continuous-feed garbage disposal features a 1/2 HP motor and is lightweight, weighing only 13.7 pounds. It is compact–it has measurements of 14.7 x 7.5 x 7.5 inches. It doesn’t come with a power cord but it can use any generic, standard power cord.
- It is moderately priced, and fairly priced according to the basic features.
- It has a stainless steel sink flange.
- It is compact so it won’t take up much space.
- It is a very basic garbage disposal and doesn’t have very many features or advanced technology.
- It can’t be shipped internationally.
- Information about the warranty is not readily available–you have to request it from customer service.
10. Goplus Garbage Disposal
This economy-priced continuous-feed garbage disposal features a 1 HP motor which is an amazing perk for the price. It is very compact, measuring 8.3″ diameter x 11.8″H and also very light weight, with a weight of 12.32 pounds.
- It is valued price so it can fit any budget.
- It has an ultra-quiet design so it is quieter than some other garbage disposals on the market.
- The disposal has a quick and easy assembly.
- Some of the material used to make this garbage disposal is plastic, so it may not be as durable as other garbage disposals.
- The warranty information is not listed and you must contact the manufacturer to inquire about the warranty details.
Which Garbage Disposal Should You Buy?
There are only about ten companies in the United States that manufacture garbage disposals and InSinkErator makes eight out of ten of these brands.
InSinkErator actually invented the garbage disposal and has been selling them since 1927. They are the industry leader when it comes to garbage disposals and that is why I recommend the InSinkErator Evolution Compact Garbage Disposal.
It has all the right features that the average household would need from a garbage disposal while still being in good, affordable price range. It also has a 4 year in-house warranty, so you can rest assured that you are covered if anything goes wrong.