So, you decided to move, and your apartment or office is full of packed boxes. Your budget says you get to be the brains and the brawn of this project. You look at all those boxes and your back begins to ache.
There must be a better way than carrying all those boxes one by one to your new destination. This brings the project manager out in you and you have an ah-ha moment. How do the pros do it?
They use hand trucks. This will call for a bit of research to find the type and quality that you will need to help your project along. To your delight, there are several that will do the job.
The most helpful seems to be a hand truck that will fold and fit in the trunk of your car. Is there one available to handle the weight of your packed boxes and still fold?
It seems that there is and there are several available. Now it is up to you to pick the right one for your situation.
Currently, these are the top 10 best folding hand trucks on the market in 2019 and some information about them. These are great tools and it is just a matter of deciding which is the right one for you.
Table of Contents
- 10. Harper Trucks 700 lb Capacity Convertible Hand Truck
- 9. Milwaukee Hand Trucks 49180 Convertible Truck
- 8. Wesco Steel Maxi Mover Lightweight Folding Truck
- 7. Vergo Model Industrial Folding Hand Truck Dolly
- 6. Cosco 3-in-1 Aluminum Hand Truck
- 5. Magna Cart Ideal 150 lb Capacity Steel Folding Hand Truck
- 4. Magna Cart Personal 150 lb Capacity Aluminum Folding Hand Truck
- 3. VEVOR Folding Hand Truck 3 In 1 Convertible Hand Truck
- 2. Magline Gemini Sr Convertible Hand Truck
- 1. Cosco Shifter 300 lbs Capacity Multi-Position Folding Hand Truck
- Which Folding Hand Truck Should You Buy?
10. Harper Trucks 700 lb Capacity Convertible Hand Truck
The Harper I-Beam Steel-Tough nylon truss is as strong as other metal type hand trucks but 30% lighter in weight. It handles curbs and stairs with ease due to the built-in stair glides. Made in the USA, it comes with 10″ All-Terrain Tires and 5″ swivel casters that give it great scope when moving.
The hand truck requires some light assembly with the base plate and wheels. Harper hand trucks have been in business since 1940 and offer some of the highest quality hand trucks in the market.
- Converts to a four-wheel dolly
- Easy to clean
- Carries up to 700 lbs.
- Not built to handle large appliances
- May arrive with missing or incorrect parts
9. Milwaukee Hand Trucks 49180 Convertible Truck
This folding hand truck has a flow back handle that lets you use one or two hands to handle it when pulling or pushing. It works well over uneven surfaces with its 10-Inch pneumatic tires. It comes with larger 5-Inch swivel casters that allow a wide scope of maneuvering when it converts to a horizontal dolly.
It comes with a powder coat finish and arrives fully assembled. It is made with wheel guards to keep the load away from the wheels. The pros trust the name Milwaukee
- 800 lbs. carrying capacity
- Solid construction
- No assembly
- May not come with locking pins for the handles.
- Can not be used to move appliances.
8. Wesco Steel Maxi Mover Lightweight Folding Truck
This folding hand truck comes with load securing straps to use on it’s patented steel frame. It folds small enough to fit in your car truck. Traveling with luggage, it is sized to fit in an airline overhead compartment.
It comes with 7″ x 1.5″ rubber wheels with tread and weighs just over 12 lbs Total size is 42″ x 19″. It is designed to be lightweight and super easy to use. Great for around the house chores and bringing in the groceries.
- 250 lbs. weight capacity.
- Excellent maneuvering capability.
- Good value for the price.
- Tray may not fold down correctly or easily.
- May quit working after a few uses.
7. Vergo Model Industrial Folding Hand Truck Dolly
This lightweight sturdy folding hand truck comes with a telescoping handle that extends to a height of 42.5″ in height. The nose plate is foldable on the aluminum frame, while the wheels will place themselves automatically when you fold or unfold the plate.
All the wheels are solid rubber to provide stability. The truck folds down to 2.5″ in height. Great for traveling to hold luggage. It has a sharp black and silver finish. There is no assembly required. It is ready to use as soon as the box is opened.
- Sturdy construction.
- Well balanced.
- Handles well on different types ground surfaces.
- Wheels may not lock properly.
- May become hard to open.
6. Cosco 3-in-1 Aluminum Hand Truck
This cart is ready to handle almost any task up to a 1000 lbs as a dolly and 800 lbs as a hand truck. The aluminum frame is commercial grade and comes with flat free, heavy-duty wheels to carry heavy loads such as appliances.
It is designed with a fast, no pins or tools, one-handed conversion. This workhorse will take the strain out of moving heavy objects. This truck can handle large objects such as appliances and air conditioners with ease.
- Converts to three different positions.
- Will move large heavy objects such as appliances
- Does not fold flat
- May come with weak welded joints that may snap
5. Magna Cart Ideal 150 lb Capacity Steel Folding Hand Truck
This mighty lightweight folding hand truck only weights 9 lbs. but can handle 150 lbs. This truck was designed with the traveler in mind. It stretches to 39″ to fit most body heights and compacts down to 37″ x 2″ to fit on the compartments in trains, planes, and automobiles trunks.
Easy to store at home, in your car, or RV. The tires are 5″ solid rubber and do not have to be inflated. It is designed to roll smoothly on most types of ground surfaces.
- Good value for the price
- Easy to store
- Narrow enough to fit through small walkways or small spaces.
- Wheels may not unfold correctly after several uses.
- Does not come with straps.
4. Magna Cart Personal 150 lb Capacity Aluminum Folding Hand Truck
If you are a frequent traveler, this may be the traveling companion you are looking for. This folding hand truck is made of aluminum and only weighs seven pounds. It folds to a convenient size 25″ x 2.5″ but when unfolded the handle can accommodate most body heights with a 39″ tall extending handle.
This will fit in most train and airline compartments as well as your vehicle’s trunk. The solid five-inch rubber wheels are designed to move easily over most ground surfaces.
- Holds up to 150 pounds.
- Stores easily at home when not in use.
- Sturdy for its size.
- Does not come with straps
- After several uses, the handle may not retract.
3. VEVOR Folding Hand Truck 3 In 1 Convertible Hand Truck
This handy climbing cart is designed for stairs and curbs. It is perfect for those who live or work above ground level. The body is made of carbon steel and rated for 330 lbs of cargo. It comes with an adjustable handle to accommodate the height you need.
The rubber wheel is 5″ in diameter and designed for most ground surfaces. The size is 30″ 18″ when folded. It will get those groceries or boxes over the curb and up the stairs.
- Does not damage stairs when in use.
- Heavy duty construction
- Good value for the money
- The deck is short and could be longer.
- Wheels could be larger for certain types of open back stairs.
2. Magline Gemini Sr Convertible Hand Truck
If you are needing a heavy-duty convertible hand truck, this may be the one for you. This industrial grade truck can switch to a load bearing dolly quickly and easily. The 10″ flat free standard pneumatic wheels and 5″ red bearing swivel casters make turning easy even with a heavy load.
It is rated for 500 lbs as a hand truck and 1000 lbs as a dolly. It reaches 61″ tall when used as a hand truck. The modular design does not have any welded joints that can snap. It is 21″ wide with a 12″ deck plate. Large objects, such as appliances, are not a problem using this workhorse.
- All parts replaceable
- Heavy duty construction for long life
- Great value for the money
- May arrive with nuts and bolts missing.
- Tires may not hold air
1. Cosco Shifter 300 lbs Capacity Multi-Position Folding Hand Truck
This two-position from hand truck to dolly also collapses for storage. It weighs 15 lbs but can handle up to 300 lbs in cargo. No tools or pins are needed to make the easy conversation. When folded, the size is 15 x 25 x 2.5 in for easy storage when traveling or at home.
It is steel constructed and comes with a five-year warranty. The Shifter can make your traveling easier by carrying your luggage and then folding for easy storage on the plane or train. It will fit in your car truck for handling groceries and other purchases.
- Easy to store.
- Good value for the money.
- Easy to convert.
- Wheels may need to be replaced after several uses.
- Does not come with straps
Which Folding Hand Truck Should You Buy?
All of the hand trucks listed come highly recommended. They are rated for different weights and uses. Depending on your needs, there should be a hand truck listed to give you the service that you are looking for. Prices vary and there should be a nice quality hand truck to fit almost any budget.
Names like Cosco, Milwaukee, and Harper have long-standing reputations for quality and can provide personal and industrial products. Magline Gemini Sr Convertible Hand Truck will give years of service if you need an industrial hand truck for those large heavy loads.
For home use, also look into the Wesco Steel Maxi Mover Lightweight Folding Truck. List your needs for a hand truck and research the recommended folding hand trucks to make a perfect fit.