If you want a great quality fishing rod, I am sure you will want one that will also help you fish more fish than you are currently used to catching. The most important part of your fishing pole is the rod.
If it is not made of quality and reliable material, you will be very limited in what you will be able to catch.
Factors To Consider When Buying a Fishing Rod
If you’re new to the fishing world, it can be daunting to discover the best rod for your needs. However, we’re here to help you find the best value for your money and invest in a high-quality fishing rod that will last for many years.
The Amount of Bend
This is the first factor you should consider since it will help to refine your search. Most manufacturers produce rods with an ultra-light, medium, or heavy bend which will determine the rod’s action.
Overall, this will assist you with targeting fish, as the more bend you have, the easier it is to access them. However, this can be a negative point for beginners, since it can be difficult to operate a rod with a heavy bend.
Before you buy your rod, ask yourself how long your rod should be. A rod shorter than 6 feet will not be appropriate for reeling in bigger fish.
Consider where you’ll be fishing so you can take the water and area into account. Rods that are over 8 feet long help you reach father and are more responsive. If you have a rod that can reach farther and bend more, this will increase your chances of catching fish. However, long rods are best suited for lakes and fishing beaches, not for shallow waters.
Don’t completely dismiss shorter rods though as these have great advantages too. If you’re fishing near a bank or with trees shadowing the waterline, a shorter model makes it easier to operate. Alternatively, you can opt for a rod around 7-8 feet if you’re unsure.
Finally, research the fish you wish to catch too. Take into consideration their habitat, how deep they swim and the speed they swim at. Doing so will help you find the perfect rod length for your needs.
Understand the material your rod is made of and what kind of weight it can withstand. Some of the most trusted rod materials are fiberglass, high-quality plastics as well as aeroglass.
Graphite is more expensive and sensitive, so you’ll need to consider the amount of maintenance and costing owning one. However, many professionals use graphite rods since they make it easier to reel the fish into you. One disadvantage of this material is that they’re more fragile so you may need to replace them if you intend to go fishing on a regular basis.
Another popular material is fiberglass. it’s a great material for everyday use, and it’s cheap to purchase. Some of the best fishing rods on the market use a combination of fiberglass at the core and they’re then surrounded with graphite for a durable finish.
If this is your first time fishing, you’ll need to consider the different types of reels available. At the moment, there are two main categories that include baitcasting and spinning rods, and it’s important that you know the difference between the two.
Most experienced anglers use baitcasting reels, and these sit on top of the rod. For newbies, we suggest sticking to spincasting rods as they’re the easiest type of reel to use.
Portability of the rod is an important factor in many situations, so make sure you take this factor into account. If you don’t have a large vehicle, you’ll require either a smaller rod, or one that can easily fold away to fit within your confined space.
The Top 10 Best Fishing Rods To Buy
You will want to buy a rod that is good for your fishing skill level, so make sure you choose a rod that you are comfortable casting and is the right size and weight and you can control properly.
Remember that your rod is an investment that if chosen correctly, will last several years. Here are my top 10 best fishing rods on the market in 2019.
Table of Contents
- Factors To Consider When Buying a Fishing Rod
- The Top 10 Best Fishing Rods To Buy
- 10. Shimano Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod
- 9. Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod
- 8. Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod
- 7. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod
- 6. Shimano Stimula 2-Piece Spin Rod
- 5. KastKing BlackHawk Telescopic Rod
- 4. PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod
- 3. Daiwa Sweepfire Medium Spinning Rod
- 2. Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod
- 1. Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod
- Which Fishing Rod Should You Buy?
10. Shimano Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod
This rod made it into the list because it is a practical rod that will cover almost every standard fishing situation. The Shimano Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod is medium power fishing rod choice that should attend to most fishermen’s needs.
It’s fast action spinning rods, resistant aeroglass blank construction, reinforced aluminum oxide guides are the core qualities of a strong and reliable rod. It also offers the comfort of cork grip and rear grip handles.
- It is a medium sized rod that is fit for most fishing situations.
- As a two-piece rod, it can be taken apart and transported with ease.
- Features a 1-year limited warranty that backs you up.
- This rod will probably be a bit small for deep-sea fishing or in larger lakes.
- Since this is a 2 piece rod and not a retractable one, it might be a bit difficult to transport in a bag.
9. Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod
The Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod is made of an aeroglass material which allows it provide the fisherman with better control and is still significantly stronger than other rods.
It also features reinforced aluminum oxide guides as well as its unique look. The trusted Shimano brand also provides confidence to this rod.
- It is a medium sized rod that is fit for smaller to medium sized fish.
- As a two-piece rod, it can be taken apart and transported with ease.
- This rod is under 6 feet so it will fit into smaller cars when taken apart.
- This rod cannot be cast as far as other rods since it is under 6 feet long.
- This might be considered a beginner’s rod and be a bit too simple for more skilled fishermen.
8. Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod
If you need a compact fishing strategy, the Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod is an ideal choice. When assembled, it is 4.5 feet long.
It features cork handle material, a conventional reel seat, cushioned hoods, and a rod made of stainless steel and graphite composite. These qualities make this rod is strong and reliable for most fishing trips.
- It is a medium sized rod that is very appropriate for most children.
- No hassle in setting up the rod since it is a single piece.
- This rod has an impressively low investment cost.
- This rod 4.5-feet long which limits its cast length.
- This might be considered a beginner’s rod and possibly a bit too simple for more skilled fishermen.
7. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod
If you are looking for a very strong rod, this is quite possibly the best rod for you. The Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod is truly durable, and it is a multi-sized rod. This rod was designed to last many years and has made many fishermen very satisfied with its performance and reliability.
In addition to having it in many different sizes, it features great overall control and a comfortable and beautiful wooden handle.
- It is a medium sized rod that is highly recommended to the dedicated and frequent fisherman.
- Having it in multiple sizes ensures the best fit for every person
- It has an amazing cost benefit since it is designed to last a long time.
- This rod might be too big for children or for those used to smaller rods.
- If a person is looking for a first fishing rod and ends up not fishing again, it might be somewhat of an unused investment.
6. Shimano Stimula 2-Piece Spin Rod
This is a super lightweight 2-Piece rod that is ideal for camping and hiking trips. It is quite portable. It features fast action capacities, can be stored in 2 pieces, has p-cork grip material, and it is 5.5 feet long
- It is a small to medium sized rod that is frequently taken on hunting trips.
- Being a 2 piece rod, it is very portable and can easily be taken in a backpack.
- It is a good rod for most children and teens.
- This rod might be too small for the fisherman that wishes to cast out very far.
- Since it is not a telescopic rod, it will not fully fit inside most backpacks.
5. KastKing BlackHawk Telescopic Rod
This rod is one of my favorite telescopic fishing rods. It is a rod that should last many years and is super easy to use. It is also very strong due to its stainless steel structuring material.
It’s unique design, portability make this a rod that can be used in any fishing situation.
- This is a medium to larger sized rod that can easily be taken inside a backpack.
- Since it is a telescopic rod, you really cannot lose one side like you might with a 2-piece rod.
- This rod is designed to last a long time and is a great investment.
- Some people do not like telescopic rods because they have to be set up in sequential steps involving each part wished to be extended.
- Since it is a telescopic rod, it will feature a wider girth that some fishermen might not appreciate.
4. PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod
The PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod stands apart from other telescopic fishing rods. It is one of the most flexible telescopic fishing rods and allows fantastic control.
This rod is made of a resistant fiberglass material that provides superior strength while delivering maximum flexibility and still being very light and extremely portable.
- This rod that can easily be taken inside a backpack or almost any bag, box or other transport containers. To say the least, this is probably the most portable rod on this list.
- Since it is a telescopic rod, it will always stay in one piece, different than a 2-piece rod.
- This rod is one of the most flexible telescopic rods on the market, so when pulling in your catch, the rod’s superior flexibility will help you bring it in with great control and ease.
- The downside of all telescopic rods is that when not set up, they can be more vulnerable than a traditional rod in the sense that if one of the cannulas is pressured near its extremity, it can crush, crack or break if not transported with care.
- All telescopic rods tend to have a wider girth than traditional rods, which some fishermen might not appreciate.
3. Daiwa Sweepfire Medium Spinning Rod
The Daiwa Sweepfire Medium Spinning Rod is an affordable rod intended for the fisherman that is gaining skill and would like to upgrade to a custom rod.
This rod comes in black and is available in multiple sizes to best match the fisherman’s height. It features a comfortable handle and is intended for medium action.
- This rod is a medium sized rod that comes in multiple sizes, so it can match the owner’s height.
- As a custom rod, it offers greater control than a beginner’s rod.
- It is an inexpensive investment when a fisherman is considering upgrading to a custom rod.
- This rod might be a bit difficult to take with you on a hiking trip since it is a one-piece rod.
- This may not be appropriate for off-coast fishing when catching the largest kinds of fish.
2. Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod
If you are looking for an elaborately designed custom rod that will last a long time, the Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod is a great investment.
It is a very strong rod that will please most the most experienced fishermen. It features a comfortable wooden handle, has a slick appearance and can be purchased in multiple sizes.
- This rod is a custom rod that comes in multiple sizes, to reach the longest cast possible for each fisherman.
- It is one of the most stylish rods that is designed not only to look good but last a long time.
- This custom rod has one of the best quality builds on the market.
- This rod might be a bit difficult to take with you if are going a long distance on foot.
- This rod is not a practical rod for beginners.
1. Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod
This rod is one of the best-priced rods when considering the quality you get for your money. The Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod features a 6.5-foot long design that will help you reach a very long cast length.
It is intended to catch larger fish and is ideal for bass and trout fishing. It features a quarter to three-quarters ounce lure capacity and a great slick design.
- This rod is designed for catching larger fish but can be used for smaller catch as well.
- It has variable lure capacity.
- This rod has one of the greatest cast lengths on the market.
- This rod is 6.5 feet long and is not appropriate for children.
- This rod is not intended for beginners.
Which Fishing Rod Should You Buy?
So now it is up to you to decide between these specially selected fishing rod models ranging from a single piece to 2-piece to telescopic rods. Make sure you choose a rod that has a length that is ideal for your height and places you intend on fishing at.
Other important factors are your fishing skill level, your investment budget on a rod, portability factors, and design. Take a closer look at these rods and see for yourself which kind and model will meet your specific fishing needs! Click here to see the one I bought.